* * * * - 13 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#7351 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

Preorder for Groundhog Day VR is up on PSN. 10% off for PS+ members ($26.99), releases September 17. Rated M for strong language, sexual content and nudity; kind of surprising, but welcome.

#7352 Indiana Jones   Yippie kai yay! CAGiversary!   2370 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Indiana Jones

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:13 AM

Thanks, looks like mine are all out of stock, though.

Have you tried Target? Brickseek says $19.99 for me but there aren't any in stock around me.

#7353 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

Afterlife is out now for $5.99. (Would go well as a double feature with Erica.) I hope this is not a case of deceptive marketing because it was previously reported that it would be split into 3 episodes and the first episode would be free (the additional episodes were supposed to cost $9.99 in all). According to the description, it mentions it “has” 3 episodes, but it also says “in-app purchases,” which makes me uncertain. I will be taking the bait, so I should be getting around to it sometime this weekend if anyone cares to find out.

#7354 Sielanas  

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

Have you tried Target? Brickseek says $19.99 for me but there aren't any in stock around me.

I would have thought copies would be cheap and easy with how bad the reaction was. I'm a little shocked. I imagine most people that were interested already went back to an earlier update.

#7355 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:38 PM

Thanks, but all out of stock around me as well.

#7356 jgiovanni  

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

Afterlife is out now for $5.99. (Would go well as a double feature with Erica.) I hope this is not a case of deceptive marketing because it was previously reported that it would be split into 3 episodes and the first episode would be free (the additional episodes were supposed to cost $9.99 in all). According to the description, it mentions it “has” 3 episodes, but it also says “in-app purchases,” which makes me uncertain. I will be taking the bait, so I should be getting around to it sometime this weekend if anyone cares to find out.

Please share. Thanks

#7357 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   3251 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:21 AM

In case anyone was a wondering Wild Turkey Hunter VR is even worse than you expect it to be.

#7358 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1538 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:43 AM

In case anyone was a wondering Wild Turkey Hunter VR is even worse than you expect it to be.

Are you hunting for the bird or bourbon?

#7359 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   3251 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:59 AM

Are you hunting for the bird or bourbon?

After playing the answer is definitely bourbon.

#7360 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:00 AM

My thoughts on Afterlife for those two people who care about it:

-It's a 360 interactive play. Most of the choices are intuitive and you don't even realize that they're happening (it depends on which character/object you're focusing on). There is no indication that any choice is being made in the game, and everything happens seamlessly, which is probably the best use of this technology I've seen. However, since it is 360 video (not 3D), graphics on PSVR felt very low res; although it might also the best example of 360 video I've seen because there were no visible seams/stitching that I noticed.

-Conscious interactivity is minimal, apart from two or three instances where you point the controller towards the screen to highlight something. You're basically put in a passive position, watching a movie play out all around you while you're stuck in a stationary position. This is awkward when there are characters moving in and out of view and you have to crane your neck or body around in order to follow their narrative. This was an issue that Restless Spirit (a similar PSVR interactive film with minimal choice) didn't have, though that title was even more bare-bones than this.

-All three chapters are included for $5.99, so the game is COMPLETE (which is better than what was originally promised, at $9.99). However, each chapter only lasts between 10-15 minutes for a total runtime of about 45 minutes per playthrough. After each chapter, you're allowed to look at a flowchart of all the possible paths you could have taken (similar to how it's done in Detroit: Become Human). I figure it would take a minimum of three playthroughs to see all scenes/endings, provided you pick all different options each time (which can be hard to determine if you don't know the triggers).

-Since this is strictly an interactive art film, there are no trophies. So if that's all you're in it for, you can skip it. I would describe it as an independent drama about a grieving family trying to come to terms with a child's death (who may or may not be a spirit inhabiting the house). The kid dies in a tub in the opening moments of the film (off-screen), so if the thematic content bothers you, avoid it. Alternatively, if any of this sounds slow, boring or just plain depressing (welcome to my life), then this isn't for you.

All in all, I enjoyed it for what it was: an experimental VR title at an affordable cost. I would like to see more of this developed in the future. After playing Erica yesterday -- a superior FMV experience in every way -- I feel like I'm spoiled for good quality narrative storytelling, so it fell short in terms of expectations. But the way that the choices are implemented (invisible to the player's knowledge) is pretty cutting-edge stuff as far as I'm concerned. A step in the right direction is what I would call it.

#7361 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2605 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:57 AM

I'm interested and thanks for the review. I'll check it out. 

#7362 Echotech83   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   771 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Echotech83

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:00 AM

Crepenuts shared this on the PSN forum. Seems Astrobot rescue mission is randomly being given out by Sony for free.
https://www.digitalt...playstation-vr/

#7363 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2355 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:35 PM

Is Penn & Teller VR an Amazon exclusive?  I would rather buy it from Best Buy to use GCU but Amazon is the only site I can find selling it.

#7364 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12899 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:18 AM

Is Penn & Teller VR an Amazon exclusive?  I would rather buy it from Best Buy to use GCU but Amazon is the only site I can find selling it.

I'm pretty sure it is, at least among the major retailers.  That's the only site where I have seen it for sale.

#7365 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69429 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:24 AM

https://blog.us.play...s-vr-this-fall/

Harmonix's new PSVR rhythm shooter Audica is coming this fall. They've got a list of 26 announced songs for the game so far in the post.

#7366 Tothoro  

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:44 AM

https://blog.us.play...s-vr-this-fall/

Harmonix's new PSVR rhythm shooter Audica is coming this fall. They've got a list of 26 announced songs for the game so far in the post.

I guess it makes sense why they left Rock Band 4 in a kinda broken state if they had another game in development. Harmonix definitely has talent, but Rock Band 4's got a lot of frame issues on PS4. Normally I don't care that much about a few graphic hiccups, but in rhythm games they're rather disruptive.

Anyhow, this looks decent, but with both this and Beat Saber the selection is kinda underwhelming to me. Lots of electronic, dubstep, pop, and other bass-heavy songs. It'd be nice to see them branch a little more, though the inclusion of stuff like Dragonforce is promising (albeit that particular band's involvement in rhythm games feels more than a little overdone at this point).

#7367 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69429 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:34 PM

#7368 R_Fated_Circle   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   102 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

R_Fated_Circle

Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:25 AM

this makes me so happy i was really waiting for the dlc to drop before i got deep in

#7369 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3563 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:19 AM

Blood and Truth for $19.99 at Gamestop on Labor Day.  Seems like a fair price.  

#7370 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   626 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:41 AM

So there is a new music VR game and their showcase for it doesn't even include any sound with the videos?  WTF...

#7371 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2483 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:24 AM

Have there been any updates or a release date on the previously announced physical edition of the Honor and Duty 2 pack? A few months ago the devs definitely said it would get a physical and if I remember correctly mentioned that the UK would get it first, but I haven't heard a thing about either version since. 

#7372 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6368 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:27 AM

Have there been any updates or a release date on the previously announced physical edition of the Honor and Duty 2 pack? A few months ago the devs definitely said it would get a physical and if I remember correctly mentioned that the UK would get it first, but I haven't heard a thing about either version since. 

Most of the European retailers are showing September 30th for this title, although that obviously could change again.

#7373 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1041 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:53 AM

Today is last day to get driveclub vr on PSN. Physical copy goes for about $10 at walmart.com.

EDIT: looks like still available in US, perhaps it was just being delisted from Europe

#7374 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   4291 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:59 PM

I got a Thrustmaster T80 last week. After finding out the hard way that it isn't a sex toy, I used it to play Wipeout VR. I attached it to a TV tray and used an adjustable office chair to get the perfect height. It worked great and Wipeout isn't even officially supported. You can toggle between supported control mode and standard controller mode for games that aren't supported.

Bought the Dirt Rally VR bundle, but haven't played it yet. DR is a supported title, so that should be even more fun.

#7375 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1090 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:24 AM

https://www.base.com...dgc-shvrps4.htm

Superhot VR shipped for about $19. I haven’t bought from these guys yet but I’ve heard they are good. I’m looking into getting a few EU exclusive games from them right now and saw this had a price drop

#7376 cbulas1   John 3:16 CAGiversary!   1065 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:03 PM

Blood and Truth for $19.99 at Gamestop on Labor Day.  Seems like a fair price.  

I was very interested in this deal but shipping from Gamestop to me was $10 (so with tax it was over $32 for me), and Amazon never lowered their price below $30 yesterday.

#7377 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12899 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:16 PM

I was very interested in this deal but shipping from Gamestop to me was $10 (so with tax it was over $32 for me), and Amazon never lowered their price below $30 yesterday.

Yeah, I'll just wait for other retailers to lower their price as well.  Just like with Tetris Effect, I think Gamestop was just the first one to do it in the next several weeks,

#7378 Mr. Lonely   We're all mad here. CAGiversary!   1238 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

I was just browsing through this week's new releases. Anyone up for a torture simulator (where you play as the hostage)?

Blindfold: A Vérité VR Experience - $1.99 - $1.79 - 10% off - Ends 9/17

At two bucks, I'm guessing it's a 5-minute experience which should have been free in the first place. However, it's a "companion piece" to 1979 Revolution: Black Friday (a historical narrative-adventure game I enjoyed), so I guess I'll be checking it out at some point.

#7379 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

I played through the Moss DLC last night. It was short but man oh man it was cool. I highly recommend the game if you don't have it yet.

#7380 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1090 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:26 AM

I just watched Groundhog Day for the first time last night and really loved it. Now I’m looking forward to checking out the game

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playstation VR