* * * * - 13 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#7441 Tothoro  

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:20 PM

Broke out the PSVR over the two weeks to play Tokyo Chronos and Project Lux. I know it's not a deal, but I thought I'd share my thoughts in case anyone's eyeing them.

Project Lux is fairly mediocre as far as VR games go. It plays out like an episodic series and is mostly on autopilot while you have the freedom to look around, occasionally making choices by looking at items. The story was underwhelming and there wasn't a lot to it graphically (about three backgrounds and two characters). It's $25 for about two hours and I can't really recommend it;

On the other hand, Tokyo Chronos is pretty solid. A visual novel is an interesting genre to put into VR and it works fairly well. Essentially you can look around at the scene as the text/events are unfolding, but it's still a button press to progress (unlike Project Lux, which just played on like a movie. A dub would've been a nice add to the immersion, but given the amount of text in the game I can understand why they didn't spring for it. Took around 15 hours to complete and aside from a few choices for "bad" endings it's a linear experience. Pacing is my biggest complaint, but the story is pretty decent overall and it's a good excuse to break out the headset. $50 seems like a bit much for it, but on sale I could see it being a gem.

One odd thing about Tokyo Chronos, though - the translation absolutely tanks for one specific scene. It only lasts for about five minutes, but it goes from sounding like normal, localized English to Google Translate. It's so bad that one of tne of the characters' names becomes "Street Alley" for that scene. As soon as it transitions to a new scene everything's back to normal, but it's bizarre that it wasn't flagged in QA.

#7442 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1239 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:57 PM

Two days too late to be relevant, but it appears they just gave a permanent price drop to Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son. Down 50% to $14.99 (not on sale.)

#7443 carlpocket  

carlpocket

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:20 AM

That one is super good and is pretty up to date minus new UK games like Ground hogs day or Crazy machines (really look at Perp Games they have another 7 releases all announced). Also a game I see on no lists is Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 (it is japanese but psvr).

JIKKYOU POWERFUL PRO BASEBALL 2018

#7444 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the physical release of Groundhog Day. Just placed an order from base.com for £12.40 (~$16)

#7445 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:42 AM

I know some people were looking for Superhot VR. Another find from base.com £15.54 after shipping. By the way, I’ve bought from them a couple times now and it’s been a good experience. Surprisingly fast shipping too considering it comes from the UK

https://www.base.com...dgc-shvrps4.htm

#7446 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:48 AM

Anybody play Box VR? It looks to be a direct ripoff of Beat Saber but with boxing gloves rather than light sabers. More Beat Saber wouldn’t be a bad thing so I’m wondering how Box VR holds up by comparison

#7447 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1239 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:23 AM

Anybody play Box VR? It looks to be a direct ripoff of Beat Saber but with boxing gloves rather than light sabers. More Beat Saber wouldn’t be a bad thing so I’m wondering how Box VR holds up by comparison

I have. Picked it up back in Mid-December when GameStop had it new for $15. Sat on my shelf until my doctor told me, the day after Christmas, that I had diabetes and needed to take medicine daily, lose weight, etc. So I restarted my Atkins diet (cutting out almost all carbs/sugar dropped me down from 210 lbs to 189 in less than a month and a half) and popped in Box VR to work on getting some exercise.

I can't compare it directly to Beat Saber since I haven't played that one, but based on videos I've seen, it looks like they both use the standard Rock Band style "Hit things coming at you in time to the music" gameplay (I wouldn't say it's a rip-off, as both the games are clearly inspired by RB.)  So you've got two colored spheres that come down the room towards you, each color matches a specific hand.  Based on the animation the spheres are making, you have to hit it with either a jab, hook or uppercut. Sometimes you have shields flying towards you, which you have to block by putting both hands up in front of it, and occasionally giant flat or diagonal blocks fly towards you that you need to either duck under or dodge to the side.

You can choose to play a workout (which is a select list of songs back-to-back), or make your own playlist from all the songs (this is how you would choose a single song to play as well.)  The songs are hit-and-miss, depending on your tastes, and a lot of them crossover genres.  So you may have separate lists for Rock, Pop, Techno, Rap, etc. but some songs may show up in both Pop and Rock, or both Pop and Rap, etc.  None of the songs are from artists I've ever heard of, but there are a loooot of songs to play.

You'll definitely be standing up playing it and you'll get exercise. I hadn't even finished playing one of the half-hour sets and I was tired out and sweating.  It's an enjoyable game, but know you're going into it more for the workout than you'd get playing Beat Saber.

#7448 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13185 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

By the way, looks like Amazon matched the $14.99 price at Gamestop if you have Prime, or just want a sealed copy (instead of a gutted one):

https://www.amazon.c...deogames&sr=1-5

#7449 Ocelotri   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:31 AM

Mars Odyssey $10 @Amazon

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,164&sr=8-1

#7450 Tothoro  

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:04 AM

Bit of a tanget here, but I wanted to chime in and say thanks to all those that have recommended Base. Got a handful of EU exclusives at good prices, quick shipping, overall smooth experience. Might overtake VGPlus as my go-to.

#7451 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13185 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:19 AM

Mars Odyssey $10 @Amazon

Nice, thanks for the heads up, this was the price I was waiting for.  The sale price seems to be from the publisher (GS2 games) selling on Amazon as a third party.  Looking at their store front they also seem to have some other decent prices (like Quar Infernal Machines VR for $9.99 and Everspace Stellar Edition for $19.99).

#7452 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1350 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

Found Blood and Truth clearanced for $15 at the Walmarts. 

Brings my total up to 46. 

Slowly but surely getting there!

#7453 carlpocket  

carlpocket

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

Nice, thanks for the heads up, this was the price I was waiting for.  The sale price seems to be from the publisher (GS2 games) selling on Amazon as a third party.  Looking at their store front they also seem to have some other decent prices (like Quar Infernal Machines VR for $9.99 and Everspace Stellar Edition for $19.99).

Id hold off for like $5 on Mars Odyssey. The "game" is barely 15 minutes long and there isn't really anything to do. You basically do a little repair in 4 locations and that is the entirety of the game. Also the trophies are all glitched and do not synch to the PS network. Just a heads up.

#7454 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1264 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:20 PM

I don’t think it’s on sale right now but I just started playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with my GF the other day and we had a really good time with it. One person is in VR trying to describe/diffuse a bomb while one or more people look through a bomb manual to find out how to diffuse. The bomb manual can be accessed on the PS4 or online. We found it better to just use our iPad than the PS4. I’ve seen it on sale for $7.50 a bunch of times and maybe $5-6 once. Highly recommend, especially on sale. Keep in mind you need someone to play with

#7455 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1753 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

Mars Odyssey $10 @Amazon

Did anyone else read this as MARIO Odyssey at first? Would be epic on psvr

#7456 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1753 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

Duplicate post

#7457 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:17 PM

Man I haven't played much PSVR in a while. There just hasn't been anything new out in a bit that has grabbed my interest.  I even lost interest in Beat Saber as I used to play it all the time.  

Any games you guys looking forward to coming out over the next few months that I should keep an eye out for?

#7458 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:24 PM

Did anyone else read this as MARIO Odyssey at first? Would be epic on psvr

Yes, lol

#7459 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1239 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:22 AM

I don’t think it’s on sale right now but I just started playing Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with my GF the other day and we had a really good time with it. One person is in VR trying to describe/diffuse a bomb while one or more people look through a bomb manual to find out how to diffuse. The bomb manual can be accessed on the PS4 or online. We found it better to just use our iPad than the PS4. I’ve seen it on sale for $7.50 a bunch of times and maybe $5-6 once. Highly recommend, especially on sale. Keep in mind you need someone to play with

I second this.  I bought the game to bring with me to my family Christmas Dinner last year, and my cousin and I spent hours playing.  Usually we play Rock Band, but then when the PSVR came out, I started bringing that along with RB.  This Christmas we finally transitioned fully to the VR.  We had a blast playing Keep Talking.  He was in the headset the entire time and I had printed out a copy of the manual before I went over so I could just flip through it.  Totally a game I can see us playing at every family gathering.

#7460 Ocelotri   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2020 - 04:40 AM

Golem $15 at amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#7461 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

Is Mars Odyssey VR any good? thanks!

#7462 carlpocket  

carlpocket

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:50 AM

Is Mars Odyssey VR any good? thanks!

No. It is barely a tech demo. You go to 4 locations and have a "repair" you have to do. These take around 30-60 seconds to finish. All the trophies don't synch with the PS network as well so you won't even get your trophies for playing this 15 minute game. This is like a demo you would show someone that has never played VR.

#7463 mprivi  

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:35 PM

Golem $15 at amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is Golem any good?

#7464 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1753 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:01 PM

Is Golem any good?

From what I read from reviews, there is a good chance you will get motion sickness from this game

#7465 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   1074 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:55 PM

From what I read from reviews, there is a good chance you will get motion sickness from this game

I'll wait till 5

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#7466 carlpocket  

carlpocket

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:59 PM

Is Golem any good?

Golem is really polished, the battle mechanic gets repetitive though as it is the same thing through the whole game. The story is pretty lack luster though (and you have to go through a longish story before actually getting into the game play). If you are trophy hunting it doesn't total up the memories or treasures you find so you REALLY don't know how close you are to finding everything. It is a solid 7/10. Also note that you can use two move controllers to play but it is easiest to play with a DS and move. You can also use PS Navigator controller if you own one.

#7467 Ocelotri   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:37 PM

Battlezone VR 9.88 at walmart, I priced matched at bb

https://www.walmart....506430/54791558

#7468 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70336 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:06 AM

#7469 MrSloth56   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   48 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

MrSloth56

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

I have been waiting and hoping for this news.  Very happy

#7470 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   747 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:49 AM

I'm not even into Star Wars but I will sure as shit play a Star Wars game if you can use light sabers in VR.