* * * * - 13 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#7621 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   965 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

Okay I had no clue Pistol Whip has been out on PSVR since July 30th.

Anyone have any opinions on it?  If I like Beat Saber will I enjoy that game?  I know they aren't the same but are both rhythm games.  

Has it gone lower than $25 yet?

#7622 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3653 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

Anyone have any opinions on it?  If I like Beat Saber will I enjoy that game?  I know they aren't the same but are both rhythm games.  

No drops since it came out.  I've been very curious to hear people's opinions of that one also. 

#7623 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:19 AM

I bought it on Quest near release. It's quite fun though maybe not as great as Beat Saber or Superhot imo but it's often discussed in those circles and some people seem to like it more.

Instead of a very kinetic and constant swing action you are dodging slow-mo bullets in the same vein as Super Hot but moving forward and shooting back with an infinite ammo handgun you have to reload. There are weapon skins I believe but not dual wielding or other weapons afaik. The levels are much more elaborate than Superhot and Beatsaber with music that animates the entire world.

I was happy with the purchase because the game isn't going to age at all in my opinion and I could play it from time to time and just enjoy a level or so on medium or even easy. I think someone who liked Beat Saber would like it quite a bit.

#7624 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1258 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

I bought it on Quest near release. It's quite fun though maybe not as great as Beat Saber or Superhot imo but it's often discussed in those circles and some people seem to like it more.

Instead of a very kinetic and constant swing action you are dodging slow-mo bullets in the same vein as Super Hot but moving forward and shooting back with an infinite ammo handgun you have to reload. There are weapon skins I believe but not dual wielding or other weapons afaik. The levels are much more elaborate than Superhot and Beatsaber with music that animates the entire world.

I was happy with the purchase because the game isn't going to age at all in my opinion and I could play it from time to time and just enjoy a level or so on medium or even easy. I think someone who liked Beat Saber would like it quite a bit.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out.

I feel the same way about Space Pirate Trainer. I think I manage to play that game 90% of the times I turn on my headset.

#7625 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:37 AM

Anybody have thoughts on the upcoming Five Nights at Freddys Help Wanted? They’ve got a $10 gift card with purchase and it’s only $30 ($24 for me with my last few remaining weeks of gcu). I know it’s not out yet so bony could have hands on experience, but general opinions are welcome

#7626 MobileFrank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

MobileFrank

Posted 31 October 2020 - 09:52 AM

Anybody have thoughts on the upcoming Five Nights at Freddys Help Wanted? They’ve got a $10 gift card with purchase and it’s only $30 ($24 for me with my last few remaining weeks of gcu). I know it’s not out yet so bony could have hands on experience, but general opinions are welcome

It's just coming out in physical form, but it's been out for a while digitally. I bought it for my kids that love FNAFs and they have a blast with it.

#7627 Razzel   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:55 PM

It’s been digital for awhile but it’s a blast in VR.

#7628 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2020 - 01:15 AM

Thanks MobileFrank and Razzel for the replies. I didn’t realize it was already out digital. I went ahead and looked up some reviews and decided to bite on it. I had a gift card anyway so I’m turning a $25 GC into a $10 GC and the game. Works for me

#7629 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1069 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:31 PM

Best Buy has physical copies of 'Batman Arkham VR' for $9.99. It's probably been a few years since the disc was half off. It's been going in and out of stock though. 

#7630 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:49 PM

Batman for some reason gets kind of a bad rap, but I loved it. As one of my early VR games, the experience couldn’t be beat. Granted VR has gotten better in the last few years, but I think it’s still worth checking out

#7631 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

Best Buy also has Resident Evil 7 Gold for $15 right now.

#7632 Tothoro  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:50 PM

Iron Man VR is also $20 on BestBuy's Black Friday sale: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6384705

Edit: And Star Wars Squadrons is $20 at Amazon: https://smile.amazon...uct/B089F7Y472/

Companies may price match each other at some point.

#7633 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2727 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:46 PM

Was hoping to pick up a PSVR this year. Not looking good for deals on the hw.

#7634 coolz481   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1631 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:42 PM

Was hoping to pick up a PSVR this year. Not looking good for deals on the hw.

Same - I could have sworn that Move PSVR bundles have been discounted to $250 or so on Black Friday in the past

#7635 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1365 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:07 PM

They were. Covid messed everything up. Worst Black Friday ever for hardware.

#7636 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2902 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:33 PM

Covid isn't the problem. A lot of Best Buy stores are very well stocked with the Iron Man PSVR Bundle (like 15 instead of the usual 1 or 2) so a deal must be happening soon enough.

#7637 Archaic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   553 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:11 AM

Batman for some reason gets kind of a bad rap, but I loved it. As one of my early VR games, the experience couldn’t be beat. Granted VR has gotten better in the last few years, but I think it’s still worth checking out

Just played through it about a week ago, long after beating games like SuperHot, Iron Man, No Man's Sky, etc., and I'd still recommend it. Easily worth $10.

#7638 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2727 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:21 AM

Covid isn't the problem. A lot of Best Buy stores are very well stocked with the Iron Man PSVR Bundle (like 15 instead of the usual 1 or 2) so a deal must be happening soon enough.

I like the sound of that. I imagine the interested parties either have PSVR or are waiting for PS5 VR. Then there's me - the CAG right in the middle looking for it cheap.

#7639 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:09 AM

I hope the Star Wars Squadrons VR mode is pretty good. Ordered it from Best Buy today. I really liked the VR mission they tacked on to Battlefront, so my hopes are high

#7640 MobileFrank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

MobileFrank

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:16 PM

So I've had my PSVR for just under 2 months now, and I have bought sooooo many games for it. I feel like a crackhead trying to get a fix. The last couple of PSN sales have been great. I spent way too much.

#7641 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1069 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:44 PM

I hope the Star Wars Squadrons VR mode is pretty good. Ordered it from Best Buy today. I really liked the VR mission they tacked on to Battlefront, so my hopes are high

It's not just a mode, the entire game is meant to be played in VR. I played the game at release and loved it. If you're susceptible to motion sickness, play for shorter sessions, as you will be whipping your head and craft around in typical flight sim fashion to hit enemies. I'd also spend some time with the control options. It might work for you, but I could not get a handle of the default control scheme and had to change it.

#7642 MobileFrank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

MobileFrank

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:15 PM

It's not just a mode, the entire game is meant to be played in VR. I played the game at release and loved it. If you're susceptible to motion sickness, play for shorter sessions, as you will be whipping your head and craft around in typical flight sim fashion to hit enemies. I'd also spend some time with the control options. It might work for you, but I could not get a handle of the default control scheme and had to change it.

I managed to grab a thrust master flight stick and it helps so much.

And since I got the flight stick, I went ahead and got Ace Combat and Ultrawings.

#7643 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

The Battlefront VR mission made me sick on my first try. Apparently I was almost done and didn’t realize it. That game did not save progress so I had to do it over from the start. I got all the way through on my second try. Some games make me sick and others don’t. I was super surprised when Wipeout did not make me sick. If Squadrons makes me sick, I just hope they have a good checkpoint/save system so I can get through the whole thing

#7644 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   965 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:53 PM

Is there a master list of PSVR deals on PSN for Black Friday or anything?

#7645 MobileFrank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

MobileFrank

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:55 PM

Is there a master list of PSVR deals on PSN for Black Friday or anything?

Check the PSN thread. Frisky has got you.

#7646 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   965 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

Check the PSN thread. Frisky has got you.

Damn thanks.

I was looking specifically at Pistol Whip and see the sale ended 11/21.  I'll just wait for it to go on sale again as I'm not in a super hurry for it and still waiting for my PS5 PSVR adapter.

#7647 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1069 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:35 PM

The Battlefront VR mission made me sick on my first try. Apparently I was almost done and didn’t realize it. That game did not save progress so I had to do it over from the start. I got all the way through on my second try. Some games make me sick and others don’t. I was super surprised when Wipeout did not make me sick. If Squadrons makes me sick, I just hope they have a good checkpoint/save system so I can get through the whole thing

It has a fairly generous checkpoint system. I don't get motion sick unless it's already too warm in the room. With 'Squadrons,' there's a mission you're forced to use the A-Wing and for some reason that mission gave me all sorts of motion sickness. I avoided the A-Wing there on out, and didn't have a problem.

#7648 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1258 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:38 PM

It has a fairly generous checkpoint system. I don't get motion sick unless it's already too warm in the room. With 'Squadrons,' there's a mission you're forced to use the A-Wing and for some reason that mission gave me all sorts of motion sickness. I avoided the A-Wing there on out, and didn't have a problem.

Motion sickness in VR tends to be worse for people if there isn't a lot of vehicle around you to create a point of reference. This is why Wipeout works even for people who get motion sickness, because they make sure the cockpit is very much in your view and minimizes your view out the sides of the ships.

I'm guessing the Y-wing, in being authentic to the movies, has a really open field of view that might be problematic for some.

The craziest "point of reference" study related to VR sickness is some researchers who found that rendering a virtual nose in the scene between the eyes could really help motion sickness for a significant percentage of users who were susceptible to motion sickness. Crazy right?

#7649 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1069 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:47 PM

Motion sickness in VR tends to be worse for people if there isn't a lot of vehicle around you to create a point of reference. This is why Wipeout works even for people who get motion sickness, because they make sure the cockpit is very much in your view and minimizes your view out the sides of the ships.

I'm guessing the Y-wing, in being authentic to the movies, has a really open field of view that might be problematic for some.

The craziest "point of reference" study related to VR sickness is some researchers who found that rendering a virtual nose in the scene between the eyes could really help motion sickness for a significant percentage of users who were susceptible to motion sickness. Crazy right?

lol I hadn't heard of the virtual nose thing. I don't know. In my opinion it just goes back to how any given person's brain processes the sense of moving when the body actually isn't, and it just varies by person. But I'm no VR researcher. I still have to get around to playing Wipeout.

#7650 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1258 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:55 PM

lol I hadn't heard of the virtual nose thing. I don't know. In my opinion it just goes back to how any given person's brain processes the sense of moving when the body actually isn't, and it just varies by person. But I'm no VR researcher. I still have to get around to playing Wipeout.

I'm up on the science because I used to get sick in VR within minutes, but I slowly built up a tolerance with timed exposure and a lot of ginger over the span of a month or so. Now I can play VR for hours on end. Smooth movement still does me in if I'm not in a virtual vehicle.

Wipeout is amazing, I highly recommend it to everyone.