* * * * - 14 votes

Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

Playstation VR

#7771 wampler13   That's just ,like, your opinion, man! CAGiversary!   898 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2021 - 01:56 PM

I get about a couple hours of playtime. More with a battery pack. I can't disagree with you more about a battery pack being inconvenient. It actually acts as a counterbalance and makes the headset more comfortable. And I haven't had any problems with lag. 

#7772 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1487 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2021 - 03:11 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they made the next psvr a hybrid of wired and wireless, taking inspiration from the Switch. It could run in a performance boosting mode while plugged in or a battery saving mode while wireless

#7773 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 20 March 2021 - 06:05 PM

I get about a couple hours of playtime. More with a battery pack. I can't disagree with you more about a battery pack being inconvenient. It actually acts as a counterbalance and makes the headset more comfortable. And I haven't had any problems with lag. 

The short battery life has been the argument for needing wires. I have not played a Quest before so I can't comment on whether the battery is acceptable or if the extra cost and weight of a battery pack is worth it. I can only go by what I read online and many seem to think longer gameplay is worth wires. I would think 2-3 hours before charging is worth no wires. Plus, you can still charge and play Quest wired if you want. Seems to be a win win.

#7774 Lottagames3  

Lottagames3

Posted 20 March 2021 - 07:59 PM

On one hand you don't want to break immersion with frequent battery warnings, however I dunno how many have adjusted enough to play more than a couple hours. Really depends on the game for me. Faster games need more breaks.

Wouldn't an extended battery add a lot of weight though? The only thing I can see against wires is anything that needs a large area. Otherwise it flips behind you or the chair and you never notice it. I've been through a good number of VR games.

#7775 wampler13   That's just ,like, your opinion, man! CAGiversary!   898 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2021 - 08:10 PM

If you're sitting in a chair being wired to the ps5 is no big deal. If you're playing a shooter that requires changing positions and a lot of movement, it begins to make a difference. I've played superhot on psvr and oculus and it really makes a difference to me. The weight of most battery packs isn't enough to be a problem. It really does help take pressure off your face by weighing down the back of the strap and balancing the unit as a whole.

If it doesn't bother you, that's cool. We're all just in this to have fun. I just have more fun with the freedom the quest 2 gives me. Just throwing my opinion out there.

#7776 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 20 March 2021 - 09:23 PM

If you're sitting in a chair being wired to the ps5 is no big deal. If you're playing a shooter that requires changing positions and a lot of movement, it begins to make a difference. I've played superhot on psvr and oculus and it really makes a difference to me. The weight of most battery packs isn't enough to be a problem. It really does help take pressure off your face by weighing down the back of the strap and balancing the unit as a whole.

If it doesn't bother you, that's cool. We're all just in this to have fun. I just have more fun with the freedom the quest 2 gives me. Just throwing my opinion out there.

That's the point. The trade off for wireless seems to be worth it. Sony as of now is still going with a wired PSVR 2. It can't be a cost issue as wireless VR headsets out already show so Sony seems to think the battery is still more important. It would be interesting to see if that is the only reason for still being wired when the competition has proven wireless is fine. I would prefer no wires but I don't have a choice since I only have PSVR. As with pretty much everything, there will be people that defend Sony on the wire no matter what. I have a hard time believing that there are a lot of people that actually like and prefer all these wires on the PSVR over no wires. I want no wires but that would mean I would have to get a whole different VR headset and I am not willing to have 2 VR headsets at the moment. The only game I really wish that was on PSVR is Half Life. I am sure there are other awesome games that aren't on PSVR too.

#7777 Lottagames3  

Lottagames3

Posted 20 March 2021 - 09:58 PM

Like I said, I prefer wires to take potential problems out of the equation. My Dualsense hasn't been unplugged yet. Maybe it's because I've been playing since I can hold a controller so wires don't feel 'foreign' to me. Plus I'm within a few feet of the console anyway. Funny note is my biggest issue with VR is it tells me I'm too close. No way to fix that though. Come to think of it, if I had Beat Saber I'm not sure it would work well.

I've played Superhot and Farpoint from the chair. Doom VFR, Rigs, RE7... I mean once in a while if I have to reach for something near the floor it'll be annoying because I lose tracking.

Enh. If the battery helps as a counterbalance then I wonder how heavy it is by itself. I assumed the battery was like a belt clip or something. Instead it goes from goggles to a football helmet. In the end yeah if the tradeoff is ok for ya then whatever. Give us the option is all.

#7778 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1074 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2021 - 10:04 PM

I will take wires over wireless if it means more power and no latency.  The wires never bothered me on PSVR and I played all types of games including Farpoint where you are standing with a gun in your hand.  The wires never got in my way.  I do make sure I am positioned though so that the wire is out of the way and all of the slack is on the ground.

#7779 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   854 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2021 - 04:55 AM

Not sure what everyone is talking about with latency. Have had a quest and quest 2. No issues there. 

Battery lasts a couple hours. Have a battery strapped to the back of my Frankenquest that extends that a couple hours, plus acts as a counter weight for comfort. I’ve never played more than a couple hours straight in any VR. 

Superhot and pistol whip with no wires is truly amazing. 

#7780 Roopie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   215 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:26 AM

Do you think it's worth getting a PSVR now, or should I just wait for the PSVR2?

#7781 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 22 March 2021 - 06:57 AM

Do you think it's worth getting a PSVR now, or should I just wait for the PSVR2?

Considering there is no release date, price or much else known about it, I would say that depends on how badly you want to play PSVR games. I would suggest trying to find a good deal on a used one on Offerup or ebay or whatever. I would not recommend paying $350 for the Ironman bundle or other bundles I see. That's a total rip off. I take it you have a PS5? PSVR2 is only going to be for PS5 I believe. It will probably come out sometime next year. So do you want to spend the $ on one now and then buy PSVR2 next year or wherever it comes out? Just buy it now and not worry about 2? If you don't want to wait over a year to play VR games, get it now if you can find a good deal. We just don't know much about PSVR2 right now.

Has anyone here playing Rise of the Tomb Raiders VR DLC? Croft manor I think it's called. There is a black bar near the bottom of the screen for some reason. Does anyone know what that is and how to get rid if it?

#7782 Roopie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   215 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:29 AM

I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a deal then. Thanks!

#7783 Lottagames3  

Lottagames3

Posted 23 March 2021 - 05:24 AM

I have to agree, it opened up a lot of cool gameplay ideas and I use mine regularly. Plenty of people decided it's not for them so you may find a deal there. Since nobody knows when v2 is due it could be an unnecessarily long wait.

#7784 Blade3D   Grandmaster Swag CAGiversary!   4358 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:31 PM

Try looking for a deal on a local marketplace. I just sold the following bundle for $300; Playstation VR headset, case, headphones that attach to headset, 2 move controller with charging base, PS Camera, AIM controller, and 5 games. The 5 games are Tetris Effect, Blood & Truth, Ace Combat 7, Journey to the Savage Planet, and Skyrim VR.

#7785 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4733 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2021 - 03:15 AM

Any suggestions on getting the Beat saber slip/code that game with one of the PSVR bundles? Having a hard time finding it online and am not the biggest fan of digital. Would at least like to have the slip/insert too.

#7786 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70930 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:06 AM

#7787 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20307 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:10 AM

Anyone played Tokyo Chronos?  The sequel, ALTDEUS: Beyond Chronos will be out this week and should have English text

#7788 Tothoro  

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:29 AM

Anyone played Tokyo Chronos?  The sequel, ALTDEUS: Beyond Chronos will be out this week and should have English text

I completed it. It's a good but not great story and the pacing is rough toward the middle. There are only a handful of choices in the game, and the choices are only binary. The localization is mostly good, but there's one scene that is completely out of place. It feels like it was just run through Google Translate, and I don't know if they ever fixed it (would be easy enough to patch over since it's just text). The $50 pricetag is a little high for what it is, but it looks like they either reduced the price or put it on sale on PSN and the current $30 is much more fitting.

The concept of VR VNs is interesting, but the lack of a dub does still leave you reading something instead of more actively watching the "action". Dubs are expensive and this is very much a niche title so I can't fault them there. I would like to see more games explore the space and it looks like ALTDEUS may be up my alley as well.

#7789 artego   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   240 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:15 PM

The concept of VR VNs is interesting, but the lack of a dub does still leave you reading something instead of more actively watching the "action".

Wait, the sequel doesn't have any speaking audio?

#7790 Tothoro  

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:11 AM

Wait, the sequel doesn't have any speaking audio?

Tokyo Chronos only has Japanese audio and English subtitles. I don't know for sure one way or another with ALTDEUS.

#7791 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1395 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:59 PM

How is Arizona Sunshine on psvr?  I see it has a deep sale price 12 for the game 15 for the deluxe version

#7792 Sielanas  

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:35 PM

How is Arizona Sunshine on psvr? I see it has a deep sale price 12 for the game 15 for the deluxe version

That's actually got me tempted, it's rather well regarded.

#7793 purbeast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1074 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:29 PM

How is Arizona Sunshine on psvr?  I see it has a deep sale price 12 for the game 15 for the deluxe version

I think it's terrible.  I got it after the praise it got in here and I believe it has Aim support too, and it was as complete pile of crap.  There is like nothing going on in it, an enemy here or there, and the graphics are bad.  The Aim support was clearly tacked on and doesn't feel right at all.

I bought it digital when it was on sale for like $20 or something and regretted it very quickly.  If it was free I wouldn't even bother downloading it to play it.

But YMMV.

#7794 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1487 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:38 PM

Not psvr news, but could be indicative of things to come.

#7795 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20307 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:09 AM

Well ALTDEUS: Beyond Chronos is out and looks like it has English dub so I will give it a try