* * * * * 1 votes

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

#271 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4145 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

How good is the case that comes with the SE and ME versions of BotW?  I see it's selling for $80 on ebay by itself so I'm tempted to sell it and just get the generic Mario or Zelda one for $20.  

I've heard the case is pretty solid, I didn't end up getting the SE or ME myself so I personally haven't used the case, but if it's selling for $80 I'd suggest selling it and getting another case. I got the official PDP case at Wal-Mart on launch day for $18 and it looks to be sold out most places right now and selling for way more online despite it just being a standard case. It's nice though and certainly protects the switch as well as holds several games with the included game cases that store under the system in the case. People are crazy for paying these insane prices for products they can get in a few weeks or months for MSRP if they just wait. The SE Zelda case not so much, but comparable cases exist and I believe it will drive the price down on the case that you have so if I were you I'd sell it why it's hot. 

I just ordered the tempered glass screen protector from Amazon myself as it's easily the highest review screen protector right now. Does anyone have this product already and can you comment on it the quality? I've heard bad things about the Hori protectors. 

#272 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4438 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

I've heard the case is pretty solid, I didn't end up getting the SE or ME myself so I personally haven't used the case, but if it's selling for $80 I'd suggest selling it and getting another case. I got the official PDP case at Wal-Mart on launch day for $18 and it looks to be sold out most places right now and selling for way more online despite it just being a standard case. It's nice though and certainly protects the switch as well as holds several games with the included game cases that store under the system in the case. People are crazy for paying these insane prices for products they can get in a few weeks or months for MSRP if they just wait. The SE Zelda case not so much, but comparable cases exist and I believe it will drive the price down on the case that you have so if I were you I'd sell it why it's hot.

I just ordered the tempered glass screen protector from Amazon myself as it's easily the highest review screen protector right now. Does anyone have this product already and can you comment on it the quality? I've heard bad things about the Hori protectors.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm still debating lol.

I just got the glass protector today so I'll post my thoughts after I install it tonight.

#273 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4145 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm still debating lol.

I just got the glass protector today so I'll post my thoughts after I install it tonight.

Looking forward to hearing what you think. Did you get the amFilm branded one?

#274 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4438 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

I got the yztree 2-pack. The packaging looks good.
aaee2fe8a5eb2dee4bb1e64d71066354.jpg1820c9692d6c2e63e3ca446dbbb0a409.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

#275 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4438 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

Installation was easy enough. I did have to peel it off a couple of times to get rid of the bubbles but it looks great. It feels as smooth as the original screen. Definitely recommended.
3553d736dd323e5ad37a4d4966f747b0.jpg

#276 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:24 AM

Can you please recommend /link your retailer????, I need one : the TV converter fell over , rather tipped to the side and the switch console flew out

Wonder why there is no top lock mechanism , to you know , keep it from sliding out and breaking ???

#277 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4438 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Can you please recommend /link your retailer????, I need one : the TV converter fell over , rather tipped to the side and the switch console flew out

Wonder why there is no top lock mechanism , to you know , keep it from sliding out and breaking ???

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#278 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4145 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

Installation was easy enough. I did have to peel it off a couple of times to get rid of the bubbles but it looks great. It feels as smooth as the original screen. Definitely recommended.

Looks great, I ordered the amFilm one yesterday for $11 on Amazon. Says it wont arrive until the 22nd at the earliest, but a co-worker also ordered and his has shipped and should arrive this weekend despite having a similar estimated time for delivery. Hoping to get mine soon as well. 

I also want to point out that a guy on Reddit has made a nice sleeve for the dock itself to help prevent scratching, plus they look great. He's informed me that he is looking to add more designs as well and has set up an etsy shop to sell them here. I'm considering ordering one myself. 

#279 Woltaire   2NE1 CAGiversary!   2287 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

Looking forward to hearing what you think. Did you get the amFilm branded one?

I've read that you need to wait up to 48 hours for the tempered glass to settle correctly; specfically the amFilm branded one.  Newer reviews started popping up that the dock is apparently bubbling/melting the actual screen protector; though I don't believe they waited the full 48 hours after application.  Heat or pressure (since the tempered glass makes docking a little tighter) seem to be the main issue.  My amFilm comes in next week so I guess I'll know for sure when I try it. 

How good is the case that comes with the SE and ME versions of BotW?  I see it's selling for $80 on ebay by itself so I'm tempted to sell it and just get the generic Mario or Zelda one for $20.

I believe Zelda SE/ME edition case is the exact same product as this one:

https://www.amazon.c...tarter+kit&th=1

The only differences are the artwork/colors on the case.  There are also extras in the kit, but for the most part, you're basically paying for the case itself.

#280 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2296 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

I don't understand -- is the Switch's screen not made of sapphire crystal? 

Watches use sapphire crystal. iPhones and most smart phones do, too. It is near impossible to scratch them (you would have to cut into them to do so). 

If that's the case -- wow cheap move, Nintendo. 

#281 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4008 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

I don't understand -- is the Switch's screen not made of sapphire crystal?

Watches use sapphire crystal. iPhones and most smart phones do, too. It is near impossible to scratch them (you would have to cut into them to do so).

If that's the case -- wow cheap move, Nintendo.

It should have been Gorilla Glass, instead they used cheap plastic that is easily scratched (even by the dock itself).

#282 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

I guess it's a must have

#283 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4438 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

This also isn't a $600 - $800 tablet. They have to cut corners.

#284 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:02 AM

Very true
For what we get it's a deal
Only $10 to protect investment

#285 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4438 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Follow up on the screen protector I got. It's developed what looks like scratches from the heat. I read about it in some of the other reviews I got. I'm sending it back. Anybody have any recommendations? I might just cut the Zagg protectors I got for the iPad a while back.

2785fb036c79072fc2136bba2ef3caaf.jpg

#286 XeRoFuN   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   160 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

Follow up on the screen protector I got. It's developed what looks like scratches from the heat. I read about it in some of the other reviews I got. I'm sending it back. Anybody have any recommendations? I might just cut the Zagg protectors I got for the iPad a while back.

2785fb036c79072fc2136bba2ef3caaf.jpg

Mine is about the same. Someone told me that I should've waited about 48 hours for the glue to cure. How long did you wait until you docked the system? I'm thinking of taking mine off and trying again with the second protector.

#287 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4438 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:26 AM

Mine is about the same. Someone told me that I should've waited about 48 hours for the glue to cure. How long did you wait until you docked the system? I'm thinking of taking mine off and trying again with the second protector.

Ah I do remember reading that at some point. I put it in the dock after I installed it. It's worth a shot, thanks.

#288 Woltaire   2NE1 CAGiversary!   2287 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:00 AM

I installed my amFilm yesterday.  I am waiting the recommended 48 hours at least for it to settle.  I guess I'll see what's up tomorrow night.

#289 XeRoFuN   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   160 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:45 AM

I installed my amFilm yesterday. I am waiting the recommended 48 hours at least for it to settle. I guess I'll see what's up tomorrow night.

Awesome. Definitely let us know. Thanks in advance, Woltaire.

#290 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4145 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

I installed my amFilm yesterday.  I am waiting the recommended 48 hours at least for it to settle.  I guess I'll see what's up tomorrow night.

A friend of mine installed his over the weekend and loves it. Hoping to get mine in the mail soon and also plan to wait 48 hours, at least until I dock the Switch. I think I'll be fine to play in handheld mode while it settles though.

#291 Evrae  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

my switch arrived from B&H while i was away and my fiance set it up and started playing BotW. i feel..betrayed.

happy with the stock controller setup, don' think i'll need the pro. however, i keep crouching by accident in BotW. the L3 button seems sensitive.

#292 DoctorZ  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:01 AM

Very neat feature I just learned about the Switch in the worst way possible.

My buttons just locked up while playing BoTw then not before long my whole Switch locked up.

What's neat about this? well if you hold down the Power Button for more then 12 seconds it does a complete power down then hard reboot when you turn it back on.

https://www.nintendo...k--1201379.html

#293 Woltaire   2NE1 CAGiversary!   2287 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:11 AM

Awesome. Definitely let us know. Thanks in advance, Woltaire.

I played about 5 hours straight of Zelda in docked mode after waiting 48 hours for the amFilm tempered glass protector to cure and I don't see any visible signs or warping/melting of the actual glass.  Still unsure how it will last in the long run, but only time will tell at this point.  I'll report back in a week or two after more stress testing.  

Initial impressions are positive, but the screen does get unusually hot after long play sessions so I'd suggest taking the Switch out of the dock to let it breathe more efficiently as a precautionary option.  Only thing I can think of is to run a small electric fan next to it and see if that helps keep things cool, but that might be a bit overkill.  It also does fit very snug in the dock with the tempered glass on it, so I'm not too sure how I feel about that since the added pressure and the heat could possibly contribute to this warping/melting issue others are experiencing.

A side note I will say is that my screen protector is about .01mm off on the top left corner, so I am a bit worried if the warping would happen there since part of it is on the console itself and not the plastic screen.  I wonder if the adhesive would be weaker in that corner because of it.

#294 Nathan_Sama   I'm backwards compatable. CAGiversary!   1715 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Nathan_Sama

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

Anyone else gonna be really pissed if Nintendo doesn't get any more consoles to retailers before the Splatoon testfire next weekend?

#295 NeoMonk  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Welcome to the Nintendo Switch Survey

Emails were sent with this survey, if you didn't get it. Here ya go.

Make sure to mention Cloud Saving somewhere  :-

#296 guyver2077   CAG Original CAGiversary!   16084 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

guyver2077

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

anyone invested in a usb type c to a adapter for charging purposes? Any suggestions?

#297 guyver2077   CAG Original CAGiversary!   16084 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

guyver2077

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

3553d736dd323e5ad37a4d4966f747b0.jpg

that looks good but man ive always bought these protectors for devices and then i don't ever end up putting them on. I guess it's cause i've always been so bad at it

#298 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

anyone invested in a usb type c to a adapter for charging purposes? Any suggestions?

I ended up just picking up the Nintendo one. There are cheaper options, but USB-C is still relatively new to the point that I just don't trust the offbrand stuff. I don't want to risk frying my new device.

GameStop sells a Nyko charging cable for $20, you can get the Samsung cable off Amazon for $25, the Google Cable is $35 and the Insignia cable is $25.

#299 guyver2077   CAG Original CAGiversary!   16084 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

guyver2077

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

I ended up just picking up the Nintendo one. There are cheaper options, but USB-C is still relatively new to the point that I just don't trust the offbrand stuff. I don't want to risk frying my new device.

GameStop sells a Nyko charging cable for $20, you can get the Samsung cable off Amazon for $25, the Google Cable is $35 and the Insignia cable is $25.

Ouch thats expensive. I was expecting an adapter would only be a few bucks.  Thanks for the info.

#300 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

It looks like AmazonBasics has a pretty cheap option. You can get a 6ft USB-C charging cable itself for $7 and a 2.4 Amp charger for $7. So $14 for the package.

I like AmazonBasics cables. I use their lightning cables and HDMI cables all the time. Still, I'm pretty happy with my Nintendo charger.