* * * * * 1 votes

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

#211 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2553 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:40 AM

1post and 2 days later...

I know, I know - couldn't help it :-)  ... it's a problem, really it is.

#212 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9389 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

I know, I know - couldn't help it :-)  ... it's a problem, really it is.

You have MANY serious problems you should probably get help for.

#213 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2553 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

You have MANY serious problems you should probably get help for.

LOL - I chalk it up to being a passionate Nintendo nerd.  Also, probably because I've been working non-stop at my "second" job (writing and drawing my graphic novel), and use this as a means to get away from it all.

#214 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

LOL - I chalk it up to being a passionate Nintendo nerd. Also, probably because I've been working non-stop at my "second" job (writing and drawing my graphic novel), and use this as a means to get away from it all.

That's grea, really. And it's disappointing when a company we enjoy comes out with a product that doesn't resonate with us. The thing is, if you really want Nintendo to succeed, you shouldn't continue to deride every announcement/revelation about the Switch. All you are doing is churning up other people to dump on it or change their mind, which certainly won't help Nintendo succeed in spite of your apathy toward their product. The thing is, as I've said before, there's plenty of times which Nintendo consoles/games looked terrible on reveal or in the early days were reviled. Despite the lack of internet it goes all the way back to the SNES. "What?!? I have to buy a new console and spend $300 to play the new games? This is a scam, screw Nintendo!" Turns out the SNES was well worth the advancement and an all around great console, but if the Internet had been more than the technology equivalent of a newborn, it would have gotten chewed up and churned.

Remove yourself emotionally from it, for your own mental health sake and for Nintendo's sake.

Even your favorite company is going to come out with a dud product every once in a while. Maybe they string together a few that eventually turn you away from their brand, the thing to remember is that there are still people who enjoy their products and you don't need to turn them away or win them away from a company you used to enjoy.

Hell, for me, I used to be a HUGE Marvel comics fan. For my childhood and about 15 years of my adult life I was at the comic shop every Wednesday to pick up new titles. A little over a month ago I finally decided I was done, after slowly dwindling down to just a few comics a month I was picking up. The thing is, I had made some brief comments on various Internet forums about my disappointment of their direction but when I finally decided to give up I just did. I didn't make a single Internet post, I didn't mention it to any of my friends that followed comics, hell I didn't even mention it to my wife. I was just done and moved on from a hobby that used to be a significant part of my life.

Maybe you're at that point with Nintendo? There's nothing wrong with it, it's not the end of the world. But if you don't enjoy something anymore, don't go out of your way to ruin it for others who do still enjoy it.

And maybe you do end up being right and this is the end for Nintendo. The bigger question you have to ask is thy even if it is, what difference does it make right now spending so much effort and energy deriding Nintendo for the direction? The decisions about the Switch have already been made, they can't abandon it now.

#215 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

All you are doing is churning up other people to dump on it or change their mind, which certainly won't help Nintendo succeed in spite of your apathy toward their product.

Um lol he's not doing this. People make up their own minds as soon as they see/find out the off way Nintendo is going about this console.

#216 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2553 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

That's grea, really. And it's disappointing when a company we enjoy comes out with a product that doesn't resonate with us. The thing is, if you really want Nintendo to succeed, you shouldn't continue to deride every announcement/revelation about the Switch. All you are doing is churning up other people to dump on it or change their mind, which certainly won't help Nintendo succeed in spite of your apathy toward their product. The thing is, as I've said before, there's plenty of times which Nintendo consoles/games looked terrible on reveal or in the early days were reviled. Despite the lack of internet it goes all the way back to the SNES. "What?!? I have to buy a new console and spend $300 to play the new games? This is a scam, screw Nintendo!" Turns out the SNES was well worth the advancement and an all around great console, but if the Internet had been more than the technology equivalent of a newborn, it would have gotten chewed up and churned.

Remove yourself emotionally from it, for your own mental health sake and for Nintendo's sake.

Even your favorite company is going to come out with a dud product every once in a while. Maybe they string together a few that eventually turn you away from their brand, the thing to remember is that there are still people who enjoy their products and you don't need to turn them away or win them away from a company you used to enjoy.

Hell, for me, I used to be a HUGE Marvel comics fan. For my childhood and about 15 years of my adult life I was at the comic shop every Wednesday to pick up new titles. A little over a month ago I finally decided I was done, after slowly dwindling down to just a few comics a month I was picking up. The thing is, I had made some brief comments on various Internet forums about my disappointment of their direction but when I finally decided to give up I just did. I didn't make a single Internet post, I didn't mention it to any of my friends that followed comics, hell I didn't even mention it to my wife. I was just done and moved on from a hobby that used to be a significant part of my life.

Maybe you're at that point with Nintendo? There's nothing wrong with it, it's not the end of the world. But if you don't enjoy something anymore, don't go out of your way to ruin it for others who do still enjoy it.

And maybe you do end up being right and this is the end for Nintendo. The bigger question you have to ask is thy even if it is, what difference does it make right now spending so much effort and energy deriding Nintendo for the direction? The decisions about the Switch have already been made, they can't abandon it now.

It's an interesting POV, but I can't necessarily agree.  I'm of the mind that debate and constructive criticism are essential building blocks to making anything better.  Of course, there is some merit to asking what the motivations are of the person making the critique.  If it's ill-intended, then perhaps not.  But so long as everyone keeps an open mind and are being honest about their opinions, I don't think criticism harms anyone.  In fact, without it, some might make misinformed decisions.  

I bought a Wii U at launch despite the rounds of criticism and debate among podcasters and industry pundits.  I listened to their opinions, and it helped me make the informed decision that I wanted the system regardless of their speculated concerns.  It made me go in more eyes-open so that was helpful.

Anyways, all this is to say that I think there's much value in talking about what is both RIGHT and WRONG about all things in life.  I know that's a far stretch from a videogame forum, but I've always valued tremendously honest discussion.  We may go back and forth, but I don't think the negatives detract from people's enjoyment.

It's unfortunate we live in a world today that blind allegiance is often expected.  I enjoy Nintendo products and my critiques is because I want Nintendo around as a console manufacturer -- not just a 3rd party developer ala Sega.  And that's why I'm more and more frustrated by their IMHO tone-deaf decisions.  In the words of my high school debate coach, "We yell because we care."

That all said, I do think my interest in videogames and Nintendo are at a crossroads.  Frankly, I barely play games anymore, and have my hands full with many other things and interests.  My game collections are pretty much complete (just wrapped up my 360 and PS3 collections last year), and I picked up enough games on my PS4 to last me a while.

I'll be curious to see how Switch does.  I certainly don't think Nintendo is going anywhere.  I am not one who thinks they're anywhere near shuttering their doors, and they'll get bought out well before that ever happens.  I'd like to see them keeping on with their game machines, though that may stop more or less due to market forces out of their control.

Looking forward to Breath of the Wild on my Wii U.  Like I said, I don't game much but I remember putting in a whole weekend on Ocarina of Time back in college ... Hoping this one can live up to the hype Nintendo has put on its shoulders. 

#217 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:38 AM

Listen to the Glixel reactions - IMHO, spot on. Caution to fanboys - you may not like what you hear.

The most devastating fact is when Davison (an industry regular) says he talked with his developer friends who said the Nintendo Switch looks like a "&*&$en disaster" (that's the second podcast).

Btw, on the second podcast below, it appears I am not alone in thinking Nintendo may be readying a real DS successor handheld in the future ... I like it when I'm right ... it's good to know my feelings/impulses are still in line with those who live and breathe the industry on a daily basis :-)

Glixel (1/13/17)
https://megaphone.link/PNP6371275224

Glixel (1/21/17)
https://megaphone.link/PNP5671199290

Just finished listening to both. Yeah, thanks I have a new podcast to subscribe to now. 👍

#218 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22613 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

I'm surprised the Switch is selling out everywhere and quickly... I don't know if that's b/c of Nintendo's 'supply & demand' tactics or if people really want it for Zelda and don't have a Wii U.  

#219 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2690 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:43 PM

For the first time, Nintendo is spending money on a Super Bowl ad to promote a specific product. The Switch is getting its own Super Bowl ad. We will see if this has any affect. Of course, the only thing it can really do at this juncture is to boost awareness and possibly exascerbate launch shortages by unnaturally inflating demand. I imagine that is the hope, anyway. We will see whether or not it will contribute to reaching a broader audience. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

#220 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9389 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

I'm surprised the Switch is selling out everywhere and quickly... I don't know if that's b/c of Nintendo's 'supply & demand' tactics or if people really want it for Zelda and don't have a Wii U.  

I'm thinking it's both. 

For the first time, Nintendo is spending money on a Super Bowl ad to promote a specific product. The Switch is getting its own Super Bowl ad. We will see if this has any affect. Of course, the only thing it can really do at this juncture is to boost awareness and possibly exascerbate launch shortages by unnaturally inflating demand. I imagine that is the hope, anyway. We will see whether or not it will contribute to reaching a broader audience. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

Let's be honest, part of the reason the Wii U failed was because no one knew what it was. I have never see an add for the thing, or any of it's games. So if Nintendo does a 30 second ad in the same way they did the tease in November that would be great for awareness of the system.

#221 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2553 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:18 AM

Just finished listening to both. Yeah, thanks I have a new podcast to subscribe to now.

You're welcome - I first heard about it a few months ago.  I think it's among the best out there (and I listen to a lot of them).

#222 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:39 AM

That Super Bowl commercial;

and extended version:

Extended version is basically everything including Zelda while the edited version is all Zelda.  :rofl:

#223 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4008 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:04 AM

Those ads are really awful.

#224 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9389 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

The song is fine, the guy is cute, and all they show is the system switching and Zelda. That's a perfect Super Bowl ad.

#225 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22613 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:21 PM

I actually think that the commercials are fine but the best SB commercials are the ones people will actually talk about and usually, those are the commercials that are funny or have something memorable about them. It could get people talking but it won't matter if there are better commercials... but if last year's commercials are any indication, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

#226 matrix9280   CAGiversary! Banned   1839 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

matrix9280

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

Just more stupid bullshit from Nintendo. People don't go to party to play no fucking video games. 

#227 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9389 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:39 AM

I actually think that the commercials are fine but the best SB commercials are the ones people will actually talk about and usually, those are the commercials that are funny or have something memorable about them. It could get people talking but it won't matter if there are better commercials... but if last year's commercials are any indication, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

This isn't 1992, I haven't met anyone in 10 years that gave a damn about the commercials during the Super Bowl, because if they miss one they can just watch them on Youtube.

#228 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:40 AM

Just more stupid bullshit from Nintendo. People don't go to party to play no fucking video games. 

Yes and no on that statement, Rock Band & Guitar Hero are the exceptions.

#229 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22613 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:20 AM

This isn't 1992, I haven't met anyone in 10 years that gave a damn about the commercials during the Super Bowl, because if they miss one they can just watch them on Youtube.

Odds are, you hang out with people who have similar tastes as you so probably not a surprise that they don't care about SB commercials if you don't.:-P

Shows need filler material, SB commercials are always topical. Guarantee there will be plenty of talk about SB commercials. And I doubt anyone is gonna go to YT just to watch all of the commercials... they'll look for the best ones, sure, but not all of them. I get it's a changing world but if SB commercials didn't matter, I doubt companies would be paying millions for 30 seconds. 

#230 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9389 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

Odds are, you hang out with people who have similar tastes as you so probably not a surprise that they care about SB commercials if you do. :-P

This works both ways. :lol:

Actually I have one 'friend' which I rarely agree with on anything, and he has 20 close 'friends' that all seem to agree perfectly. None of them give a damn about commercials, however they probably only watch the game because Tom Brady is hot or something. :)

#231 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

Why is there no Switch board?

#232 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9389 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

Why is there no Switch board?

CAG doesn't think it will last long enough to bother. :lol:

#233 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:52 AM

Seriously?

#234 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2553 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

CAG doesn't think it will last long enough to bother. :lol:

LOL

#235 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   9389 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Seriously?

Maybe they are trying to figure out where to stick it, is it the Wii - Wii U console or DS 3DS area.

I think CAG is more like Lazy Ass Gamer. :lol: They should just get rid of the Gamecube one, make it Retro, then have a new one for Switch. After the Wii U and 3DS are completely dead move them into Retro. Same with MS and Sony, XB1 and Retro MS and PS4 and Retro Sony.

#236 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16932 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

I think CAG's traffic is down so much, they probably don't think fragmenting the community any more than it already is would be helpful. If you have this forum sorted by "last updated" (the default), the bottom thread on page 1 was last updated 1/26/16...over a year ago. So, it's not like people are having a hard time keeping their threads from being bumped off the first page. I guess "current" and "retro" could work once nobody is posting about those old systems anymore, and you're just moving them for archival purposes.

That said, as a happy Wii U owner, but a Switch skeptic, did you guys see the Kotaku review? There was a good portion that mentioned the system performing noticeably worse when docked and displayed on a TV...with framerate dips in the 20-25 fps range (playing BOTW). I gotta think if Nintendo can't clear that up, that's really going to push people away from using it in that way. I'd imagine people would rather play a smooth game on a small screen than play a choppy game on a big screen.

#237 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6702 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

A LOT of people are the discussing the Switch in the preorder threads I made in Shopping Discussions. I don't think a lot of people there know this topic exists.

#238 Physio2  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:10 AM

First impression is overall pretty good. Didn't expect the Joycons to have some heft to them, And I really didn't expect the console to be so... small. I guess my mind didn't think that only slightly larger than my cell phone meant, well, only slightly larger than my cell phone. 

#239 Blade3D   Grandmaster Swag CAGiversary!   4289 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

First impression is overall pretty good. Didn't expect the Joycons to have some heft to them, And I really didn't expect the console to be so... small. I guess my mind didn't think that only slightly larger than my cell phone meant, well, only slightly larger than my cell phone. 

Agreed much smaller then I thought it would be.

#240 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22613 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

For all you new Switch owners thinking about skinning your system, don't. 

https://www.reddit.c...ntendo_switch/