Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://www.nintendo.com/

MARCH 2017. $299.

gallery01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
its very interesting to say the least.  its nice to see 3rd party support right off the bat with it.  the name being Nintendo Switch is also interesting.  nx sounded nice but we all knew that was a code name only.  my only worry though is how durable are the controller parts.  also, if i was a parent, there is no way in hell i would EVER allow my kid to leave the house with this.  i'm not talking about the obvious dropping part but the kid being stupid and unhooking the controller part of it and then leaving it somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

Nothing shocking about the reveal, not sure how I feel about the name Nintendo Switch though. I am absolutely going to buy one of these in March, the controller seems really cool and the overall idea is very cool though. I just hope Nintendo can get some games on this thing to sell it though.

Nothing shocking about the reveal, not sure how I feel about the name Nintendo Switch though. I am absolutely going to buy one of these in March, the controller seems really cool and the overall idea is very cool though. I just hope Nintendo can get some games on this thing to sell it though.
It's still a Nintendo portable, so I can see it getting 3rd Party support.

nintendo put up screenshots from the trailer.  it does help get a good look at the controller instead of pausing at the right time.

gallery02.jpg

It looks interesting, but raises the question of is the 3ds dead after the release of this?

Also nobody is going to want to play with half of the controller thing.

It looks interesting, but raises the question of is the 3ds dead after the release of this?

ya. the control stick and buttons are way too close together. i hope thats not a feature that is forced to be tacked on early on.

I suspect it will be like when they transitioned from the GBA SP to the DS. The 3DS will still have support as the cheap portable, but Nintendo really wants you to pick up the NS.

Fantastic, this is precisely what I was hoping it would be, a Wii U you can leave the house with.

Don't even care about price, preordering as soon as possible.

Interesting.  I love the local multiplayer - something the other consoles seem to be leaving by the wayside.  It doesn't look like there will be any Wii U disc BC though other than maybe digital.

It looks amazing but can Nintendo hire some people to give their systems and games decent names?

The NEW 3DS

Wii U

Super Smash Brothers for Wii U / 3DS

Honestly the NX was such a better name.

But damn if that doesn't look fine and now they don't need to have to worry about splitting their time developing things for two systems.

Skyrim is an easy sell, too, since the remaster is already in development and it's a game people already know and love. Wii U had the same thing with Mass Effect 3, Batman, and some other big name games. I want to be optimistic but I'll believe it when I see it that they'll sustain 3rd party support.

Hope that's an HD portable screen.  And, this *NEEDS* a bettery battery when compared to the Wii U Gamepad.  (Even the extended battery isn't great...)

Those Joy-Con's by themselves look bad.  The Xbox One looking Pro controller looks great. 

Hope that's an HD portable screen. And, this *NEEDS* a bettery battery when compared to the Wii U Gamepad. (Even the extended battery isn't great...)

Those Joy-Con's by themselves look bad. The Xbox One looking Pro controller looks great.
Re: battery life, I don't think it'll be an issue. Nvidia made a custom GPU for the Switch and it looks like it's built on their tech behind the Shield portable gaming tablets, which has been engineered for mobile platforms and can apparently get a solid 8 hours of gaming time.

More:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nvidia_tegra_officially_confirmed_as_the_tech_behind_nintendo_switch

Thanks for the post of the screenshots. The one of the two guys playing Mario Kart... dang those "Joy-Cons" look tiny and uncomfortable. Very Micro GBA-ish. I don't see this taking off if it is over $200 (remember the 3DS launch price disaster).

And while the portability angle is cool from a single player point of view, I wish Nintendo would make a cheaper screenless version that can just be parked at home to let my kids play (I won't let their grimey paws touch my Wii U game pad, so they primarily play the Wii or PS3).

And I second their recent lame naming practices (The NEW 3DS was a NEW low); Nintendo Switch doesn't roll off the tongue, nor does it seem the best word to describe what it does.

Oh, and I wonder if the Switch screen can act as a second screen to the TV screen (for menus, HUD info, etc) like the WiiU tablet or 3DS lower screen?

We don't know if 3DS carts will work right... I am doubtful... but, would be great.
From the picture they have of the cartridge for the Switch, I'm guessing that no, 3DS or DS carts will not work. The cartridge format looks similar, but not similar enough. The Switch will likely not be backwards compatible with the DS/3DS. It's still possible that they will provide support through the Virtual console, but that would require a digital purchase.

I'm curious to see what kind of expandable memory this thing is going to have. If you want a system to be digital-purchase friendly, it has to have some flexible and affordable storage options. Given Nintendo's history, I'm thinking likely SD cards. It would be good to see them expand support so that it can use cards larger than 32 Gigs, though.

It looks amazing but can Nintendo hire some people to give their systems and games decent names?

The NEW 3DS

Wii U

Super Smash Brothers for Wii U / 3DS

Honestly the NX was such a better name.

But damn if that doesn't look fine and now they don't need to have to worry about splitting their time developing things for two systems.
I thought the Dolphin and Revolution were better names too.

What are you guys thinking on pricing? I'm thinking it's going to be around $299 with a free game of some sort.

Wow they absolutely destroyed the WIi U in terms of presentation.

Nintendo really nailed it here. It only begs a few major questions

1) The Price - If they can get this for $299 or lower with the XBox One type power then this is a dream. I'm making the assumption that this is more powerful then the WIi U but I could be wrong.

2) Battery Life - So how many hours does this thing last on the go? I'd hope for at least 4 hours

3) BC with 3DS - I know the WIi U is basically dead at this point, but I'd like to continue my 3DS library with this system. I'm assuming lots of Wii U Ports/enhancements in the future. We already saw Splatoon 2.0 (2?) and Mario Kart 8ish port.

This has the *potential* to be a monster hit for Nintendo. The initial impressions are REALLY positive. They just have to price it right and get the right games out there. Also support outside of Skyrim, say Red Dead 2 or Destiny 2.

Also, if anyone is interested in a Wii U I'd say grab it/look at clearance at this point. Still a lot of games that don't have ports at the moment that are amazing: Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade Chornicles X, #FE Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Captain Toad, Lego City Undercover, Pokken Tournament and Wonderful 101 just to name a few games off hand. 

I thought the Dolphin and Revolution were better names too.

What are you guys thinking on pricing? I'm thinking it's going to be around $299 with a free game of some sort.
I think Dolphin would have been an investing name, but I'm glad they went with GameCube, just because with the GB Player it's actually a cube.

I think the price will be Basic $300, no game. $350-$400 for a 'Deluxe' version with more memory or a better battery and a preinstalled game.

Wow they absolutely destroyed the WIi U in terms of presentation.

Nintendo really nailed it here. It only begs a few major questions

1) The Price - If they can get this for $299 or lower with the XBox One type power then this is a dream. I'm making the assumption that this is more powerful then the WIi U but I could be wrong.

2) Battery Life - So how many hours does this thing last on the go? I'd hope for at least 4 hours

3) BC with 3DS - I know the WIi U is basically dead at this point, but I'd like to continue my 3DS library with this system. I'm assuming lots of Wii U Ports/enhancements in the future. We already saw Splatoon 2.0 (2?) and Mario Kart 8ish port.

This has the *potential* to be a monster hit for Nintendo. The initial impressions are REALLY positive. They just have to price it right and get the right games out there. Also support outside of Skyrim, say Red Dead 2 or Destiny 2.

Also, if anyone is interested in a Wii U I'd say grab it/look at clearance at this point. Still a lot of games that don't have ports at the moment that are amazing: Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade Chornicles X, #FE Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Captain Toad, Lego City Undercover, Pokken Tournament and Wonderful 101 just to name a few games off hand.
I think we will most definitely see this priced around $300, it'll be dead in the water if they sell it for more than a PS4 or Xbox One right now. I also think the battery life will be pretty great since this is being marketed as a handheld and a home console anything less than what the 3DS currently has for battery life would be a major negative. I am very interested and excited to get my hands on this though, really like the direction this is going in and hope that they can finally get their online experience down this time around, it's been increasingly disappointing to see Nintendo fail in the online gaming space. I also agree that Wii U is still a great pick-up especially knowing Switch will not be compatible with Wii U discs. With the exception of Pokken Tournament, I actually own every game you just listed too, now I feel compelled to pick up Pokken, but I want it for under $20!

I honestly don't see this going well. 3DS is already established in Japan, so why do gamers need a new portable system? The US market has been lost for a long time without proper 3rd party support and seeing as they continue to try and push mobile, the specs will not live up to this generation's expectations. Honestly I wish they would finally accept the Sega route of bowing out and putting out their quality games on PS4/X1. Sadly, even those have been lacking as of late.

With the exception of Pokken Tournament, I actually own every game you just listed too, now I feel compelled to pick up Pokken, but I want it for under $20!
I'm in the same boat. But Pokken Tournament for under $20 is a little unrealistic. The best chance you have for a scenario like that is if they add Pokken Tournament to the "Best-Of" line. They have been expanding that line quite a bit lately, so it's not impossible. I just wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you. I'm waiting for it to drop somewhere in the $25-$30 range.

I loved what I saw in the reveal video, though the un-ergonomic "portable" form of the Switch is both irritating and unsurprising. Like the 3DS, though, I will probably wait at least a few months after launch before picking one up, depending on the games.

From the picture they have of the cartridge for the Switch, I'm guessing that no, 3DS or DS carts will not work. The cartridge format looks similar, but not similar enough. The Switch will likely not be backwards compatible with the DS/3DS. It's still possible that they will provide support through the Virtual console, but that would require a digital purchase.
Adding to this: the second screen for the DS/3DS is a major hurdle. Most games would require quite a bit of reworking, and some, like the Etrian Odyssey titles, are just about impossible to play without a touchscreen (it seems like the Switch's screen is "normal"). I love the DS family, but, sad to say, the 3DS' days are numbered and straight-up DS/3DS BC on the Switch would be tricky to pull off.

Honestly I wish they would finally accept the Sega route of bowing out and putting out their quality games on PS4/X1. Sadly, even those have been lacking as of late.
You basically just answered your own question. Sega changed dramatically after they left the hardware market, and a lot of their internal development suffered as a result. If you see Nintendo bow out of console design, you could also easily see them lose what makes their games unique. Throwing the baby out with the bath.

This could go poorly for Nintendo, it's true. It could also go well. The Switch is going to be a lot easier for Nintendo to pitch to a general audience. It's a Nintendo-designed tablet with removable controllers, and it comes with everything you need to plug it into your TV. Done and done. Something that the general public will be able to wrap their brains around fairly easily.

The real issue, as always, will be the games. By bridging the gap between mobile and home console, Nintendo is going to be saddling their new device with a much larger demand for titles than any other Nintendo device to date. The Switch is going to need mobile-style games, as well as home console-style games. The developers are going to have to deliver. Nintendo needs to start bending over backwards to get a dev kit to every indie developer they can reach.

I honestly don't see this going well. 3DS is already established in Japan, so why do gamers need a new portable system? The US market has been lost for a long time without proper 3rd party support and seeing as they continue to try and push mobile, the specs will not live up to this generation's expectations. Honestly I wish they would finally accept the Sega route of bowing out and putting out their quality games on PS4/X1. Sadly, even those have been lacking as of late.
3DS has been out for awhile now and has ran it's course. Just not much of note left coming out anymore and the system is just dated now. The concept behind the Switch is a great one and a natural evolution of the Wii U concept, which was a great idea, but flawed on the execution. The Switch has a lot of potential the absorb the handheld market place and carve a nice little niche in the home console space at the same time. The Vita is effectively a home for indie and niche Japanese titles now and the 3DS sales have started to slow down recently, it's time for Nintendo to continue dominating the handheld space, but in a new and exciting way.

Adding to this: the second screen for the DS/3DS is a major hurdle. Most games would require quite a bit of reworking, and some, like the Etrian Odyssey titles, are just about impossible to play without a touchscreen (it seems like the Switch's screen is "normal").
Not as much as you might think. The touchscreen part is significant. Touch-controls were an integral part of the DS, and could not be removed. If it turns out that the Switch really doesn't have a touch-screen, than yes, DS/3DS support would be impossible. That feature is absolutely required for support.

However, the dual-screen is not as much of an impediment as you might think. As long as the resolution is there for the Switch, a single screen would not impede support at all, especially with the removable controllers. As a sort-of tablet, the Switch can easily be rotated for a vertical orientation. In that configuration, supporting the format of the two screens on the DS/3DS would be easy. A similar approach was already utilized in the single-screen 2DS. So the touchscreen is the only real "if" in virtual console support. I am reasonably confident that there is going to be a microphone somewhere on the device.

This might be an unpopular thought, but it would be kinda neat if Ninty finally adds their version of 'achievements/trophies'.

Not required or anything since it doesn't bother me when playing my WiiU and 3DS. Just thought it would be a nice addition.

Just take their Stamps thing all the way. 

Not as much as you might think. The touchscreen part is significant. Touch-controls were an integral part of the DS, and could not be removed. If it turns out that the Switch really doesn't have a touch-screen, than yes, DS/3DS support would be impossible. That feature is absolutely required for support.

However, the dual-screen is not as much of an impediment as you might think. As long as the resolution is there for the Switch, a single screen would not impede support at all, especially with the removable controllers. As a sort-of tablet, the Switch can easily be rotated for a vertical orientation. In that configuration, supporting the format of the two screens on the DS/3DS would be easy. A similar approach was already utilized in the single-screen 2DS. So the touchscreen is the only real "if" in virtual console support. I am reasonably confident that there is going to be a microphone somewhere on the device.
Yeah, I agree that the second screen wouldn't be a problem if the unit can be rotated, but there hasn't been any sign of vertically-oriented games yet, so who knows if they've considered it. It doesn't seem like the controllers would be able to attach to the screen's longer sides, so that might be an issue as well (for Nintendo; not sure how much their customers would care). The microphone I was never worried about; agreed that there will probably be one on the Switch somewhere. The touchscreen thing is definitely the biggest question for possible DS/3DS BC support. That and Nintendo has historically been better with handheld BC than console BC, so this could go either way.

ETA: Looks like it probably doesn't have a touchscreen?

I'm highly interested in this. If they can price this thing at around $300, I'm sold right off the bat.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. But Pokken Tournament for under $20 is a little unrealistic. The best chance you have for a scenario like that is if they add Pokken Tournament to the "Best-Of" line. They have been expanding that line quite a bit lately, so it's not impossible. I just wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you. I'm waiting for it to drop somewhere in the $25-$30 range.
I've had the chance to buy it for under $30 before, but decided against it. $20 seems possible to me around BF sales this year, but I am also not itching to play the game. I love the Wii U, but find myself rarely playing it. My backlog for that system is huge too.

My backlog for that system is huge too.
Ditto. Like you, I've stock-piled most of the must-have titles for the system, but have only played it lightly. (on account of owning so many freaking games) I've actually done very well on collecting for the Wii U. Pretty much all of the critically-acclaimed titles are on my shelf. And every time that I do fire the system up, I really enjoy myself. It's just a matter of drowning in content, with the sheer size of my personal collection.

The idea of it is cool and wonder how they can get power needed for high-end game in that little thing. I wish Nintendo would have made a all out home gaming system.

This is an all out home gaming console... that's also portable. It's genius being that the mobile gaming market outside of phones is pretty dead and will be completely dead very soon. Now you can make twice as many games for the system because developing teams will only have one system. I think it's a great idea and if it fails then we deserve what we get.

I love the idea of merging the market.  Phase out 3DS support, and go all-in with this.  One platform.  They continue to succeed with handhelds, but struggle at home.  Mixing the two is likely their best bet to thrive.

Hopefully, we finally get a full-fledged Pokemon adventure up on the TV.  (Yes, I realize this would be several years out.)

Ditto. Like you, I've stock-piled most of the must-have titles for the system, but have only played it lightly. (on account of owning so many freaking games) I've actually done very well on collecting for the Wii U. Pretty much all of the critically-acclaimed titles are on my shelf. And every time that I do fire the system up, I really enjoy myself. It's just a matter of drowning in content, with the sheer size of my personal collection.
I know it's such a task play everything. I got literally bury myself in my backlog haha, but I feel compelled to start knocking out some of that Wii U backlog this weekend. I need to start something like Super Mario 3D World or Bayonetta 2 that are generally easier to pick up and play. I know that Xenoblade and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will take up considerably more time that I unfortunately don't have much of it. I honestly should probably stop buying long RPGs, but I love the genre and will one day get to these games.

One day, when I'm old and wrinkly, I won't even have the option of running around outside. When that day comes, I'll have plenty of time to peruse my back catalog of games. Games are my retirement plan, instead of crosswords, news, and TV sports. Of those, I've only ever liked crosswords. (and those are better in video game form anyway)

Interesting. I love the local multiplayer - something the other consoles seem to be leaving by the wayside. It doesn't look like there will be any Wii U disc BC though other than maybe digital.
Was thinking some attachment to let u play wii u games? Sucks that the will u hit rock bottom

I know it's such a task play everything. I got literally bury myself in my backlog haha, but I feel compelled to start knocking out some of that Wii U backlog this weekend. I need to start something like Super Mario 3D World or Bayonetta 2 that are generally easier to pick up and play. I know that Xenoblade and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will take up considerably more time that I unfortunately don't have much of it. I honestly should probably stop buying long RPGs, but I love the genre and will one day get to these games.
Amen brother. Anyone know which is better? The wii or the ps3 move. Want to collect games (shooters and others) that uses the features of either the ps3 move or the wii controller. Which is more accurate?

Definitely nifty; I know I'll be getting one at launch. 

My one concern with the reveal video is that Zelda looked like it had craptastic frame rates in the portable version. Like, Hyrule Warriors on a 2DS bad.  I couldn't play that and enjoy myself.  Perhaps it wont actually be like that on release.

bread's done
Back