CAGcast #471: Mailbox Etc.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Skylanders Imaginators, Battlefield 1, PSVR launch, and so much more.  Also, the mailbox saga finally comes to an end!

Download (1 hours 32 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS

Get free post-shave balm added to your order at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code CAG

Free Trial Set with Subscription Plan - Just cover $3 US Shipping
Judge the quality of Harry's products for yourself

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro -  ANTHM - God of Joy
Outro - Transformers Combiners Computron & Abominus Commercial

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make  "Trump" "Election" "Hilary" "Clinton" "President" tweets not show up like you did for Pokemon Go. I did that, I'm happy and my back is fine.

Why does this mailman still have a job?  Ask Mrs. Cheapy or Shipwreck or Wombat what happens when you don't do your job.  You get fired.  I can't believe you are catering to this guy because he doesn't want to do his job.  You should have called the postmaster and gotten his ass fired months ago

All the bug killing talk made me scared, surely you wouldn't hurt me, Beatles.

Also wombat mentions that all people's xbox 360 games were backwards compatible during the Xbox one holiday talk. When everyone knows that it is select ones with more announced each week. Oh wombat!

You guys should have waited a day to talk about the Switch but next week Im sure we know what the big topic will be.

Boy, Cheapy's version of Red Dead is terrible. I am glad he isn't lead on the game.

Also, Wombat's mockery voice sounded more like that Francis / boogie2988 guy not a generic nerd.

Yellow light! Get some yellow bulbs, most insects can't see yellow so they are not attracted to it. Yea they're not as bright as regular bulbs but it's still light and like 95% less bugs near the door. 

If you think $50 is a lot for a physical version of your video game creation, try $130 for a physical version of your World of Warcraft character.

http://www.figureprints.com/wow/Default.aspx

They do look neat though!

KHiJqZx.png

Why does this mailman still have a job? Ask Mrs. Cheapy or Shipwreck or Wombat what happens when you don't do your job. You get fired. I can't believe you are catering to this guy because he doesn't want to do his job. You should have called the postmaster and gotten his ass fired months ago
You know there are guidelines for door mail slots. Cheapy said the slot was low. Was it under 30 inches. If so, the mailman was totally in the right here. Was the slot big enough to meet the guidelines?

https://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm

Approved Door Slots
Some homes and apartments have a slot in the door for receiving mail rather than a mailbox. The standards for an approved door slot are:

• The opening must be at least 1 1/2" x 7".
  • The bottom of the slot must be at least 30" above floor.
  • Horizontal slots must have a flap hinged at the top.
  • Vertical slots must be hinged on the opposite side from the door’s hinges.

Also, yeah it blows that every single game now is jammed full of sticker packs, chests, cards and whatever else they're called.

I liked how Garden Warfare 1 dealt with cards as I never felt the need to spend money, and I put hours into that game.. Now it seems like you just get trash items with natural progression.

Thinking about the Nintendo announcement of the NX (or Switch), perhaps Nintendo knew that the leaks would be all over the Internet after October. It's hard to keep a secret nowadays. Maybe they needed to go forward into production/testing where keeping it a secret would be too hard. Remember how much a secret/not-secret that PS4 slim was. Maybe Nintendo wanted to get ahead of any possible leak.

I look forward to your impressions of it.

ps - REZ Infinity, Thumper and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood are great PSVR experiences. IMHO, they do not justify the hefty price tag, but I strongly urge you to play those on PSVR. Cheapy, see if a CAGer in your area can loan you their PSVR for a week.

You know there are guidelines for door mail slots. Cheapy said the slot was low. Was it under 30 inches. If so, the mailman was totally in the right here. Was the slot big enough to meet the guidelines?

Approved Door Slots
Some homes and apartments have a slot in the door for receiving mail rather than a mailbox. The standards for an approved door slot are:

He had also said it had been there and in use since the 1950's. Obviously the other owners of the house over the years had no problems getting their mail delivered and weren't looking for approval from the postman. If that mail slot had not been to code you can bet that mailman would be making sure that Cheapy had an official notice that it had to be changed.

The post office will officially let you know if you are in violation and give you a certain amount of time to fix it. I had a neighbor who put it some sort of custom mailbox that opened in a complicated way try to fight the post office when he received a notice that he they wouldn't deliver. He appealed and lost. Cheapy never mentioned anything like that. It was just 1 grumpy mailman who didn't want do his job and not the post office. We all have stuff we don't like to do at work. Too bad. If it's part of the job you do it.

At my office we had a postman who decided the weather was bad and it was a Saturday so he didn't deliver figuring we weren't in anyway. Of course we were. After complaining to the postmaster that mailman didn't do our route anymore. I don't know if he was fired but we were satisfied with the result. Customers should never put up with inferior service.

I agree that having all those wires in the living room would be a nightmare. So Cheapy should get a PSVR unit when he gets his PS4 Pro, and then hook up the PSVR to his old PS4 in a spare room.  Then it would be out of the way.

$500 is a small price to pay for something that will generate interesting stories for his podcast.

Cheapy, 

I have written you previously about your back pain.  Shipwreck's joke about bending forward is likely more accurate than "stress" as the reason for your back pain.  Tell me, if your elbow hurt to move it in certain ways, would you blame it on stress?  Why blame back pain on stress?  Did it hurt to bend forward?  Were you stiff when trying to stand after sitting for a prolonged period?  Did certain activities aggravate your pain?  If so, why do you blame your pain on mental stress and not mechanical stress?  

The problem is typically prolonged mechanical loading can be a reason for the stress and it is cumulative - guess when this occurs prolonged postures, typically sitting.  We do not view this as a mechanism of injury because it doesn't seem like it would hurt anything, but it can.  

If your back pain acts mechanically - if it hurt to do certain things and felt better to do other things, it is unlikely that your pain is due to mental stress.  

I implore you to rethink your idea about back pain and explore it.  How about this, bend forward and touch your toes 10 times every 1-2 waking hours throughout the day.  If this has an effect on your pain, it is not due to mental stress, but mechanical stress.  If you try it, I think you will find something.  If nothing changes, then I will concede that your pain does not appear to be mechanical.  Please read more about the natural history of low back pain - it is typically self limiting, but this doesn't mean that it is due to mental stress.

Love the cackling near the end of the show over Nintendo daring to tease new console hardware on the same day as Rockstar unveils Red Dead Redemption 2.  I get that you guys are generally indifferent to anything the company produces, but come on!  In what universe does a hardware unveiling by any of the big 3 take a back seat to an inevitable sequel?

Am I the only one who feels like Wombat would be telling us how cool/neat/enjoyable PSVR is if he had actually received a free system?

I like Wombat (he's grown on me over the years) and I think he is an essential element of the show's dynamic but at times he comes across as that elementary school kid who pokes fun at what other people have because he's jealous that he doesn't have it.

Approved Door Slots

Our slot did not meet either measurement requirement.

You were saying, GOTA? Customers aren't always right, son.

He had also said it had been there and in use since the 1950's. Obviously the other owners of the house over the years had no problems getting their mail delivered and weren't looking for approval from the postman. If that mail slot had not been to code you can bet that mailman would be making sure that Cheapy had an official notice that it had to be changed.

The post office will officially let you know if you are in violation and give you a certain amount of time to fix it. I had a neighbor who put it some sort of custom mailbox that opened in a complicated way try to fight the post office when he received a notice that he they wouldn't deliver. He appealed and lost. Cheapy never mentioned anything like that. It was just 1 grumpy mailman who didn't want do his job and not the post office. We all have stuff we don't like to do at work. Too bad. If it's part of the job you do it.

At my office we had a postman who decided the weather was bad and it was a Saturday so he didn't deliver figuring we weren't in anyway. Of course we were. After complaining to the postmaster that mailman didn't do our route anymore. I don't know if he was fired but we were satisfied with the result. Customers should never put up with inferior service.

You were saying, GOTA? Customers aren't always right, son.
Somehow they still delivered the mail. I don't know if it was grandfathered or what situation was but it was Cheapy deciding to change the mailbox. It wasn't the Post Office forcing him to, at least from what he said. If that's the case then I stand by my original post. The postman should be doing his job or fired just like everyone else.

bread's done
Back