Best Buy Gamer's Club Unlocked DOES NOT APPLY ON BLACK FRIDAY!

CheapLikeAFox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1483 (100%)
  • 20% discount off new physical video games (excludes pre-owned video game software and digital gaming). Benefit does not combine with promotions advertised in Best Buy's Thanksgiving Day physical ad or expanded digital ad.

I'm not sure that this needed a thread after the convos that came up when the changes took place over the summer, but yes it sucks.

OPEN THE FLOOD GATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_mxe002zEeK1s5o5c8o1_500.gif

Okay here is a question I bought my GCU 3 years ago when it started and then renewed last November. I used it all 3 times on Black Friday pricing. I get that they changed it this summer but they open themselves up to a class action lawsuit that they would never win if those who bought it before the announced change are not able to use it. The reason being is they can not alter the use of an item already purchased, because by doing this it is diminishing the value of the purchased item.

Okay here is a question I bought my GCU 3 years ago when it started and then renewed last November. I used it all 3 times on Black Friday pricing. I get that they changed it this summer but they open themselves up to a class action lawsuit that they would never win if those who bought it before the announced change are not able to use it. The reason being is they can not alter the use of an item already purchased, because by doing this it is diminishing the value of the purchased item.

"Gamers Club Unlocked program may be modified or terminated by Best Buy at any time. Gamers Club Unlocked membership or any membership benefits may not be transferred or assigned. Gamers Club Unlocked membership may be terminated if Best Buy determines, in its sole discretion, that your conduct violates these Terms or any applicable law, involves fraud or misuse of membership, or is harmful to its interests or another customer. If Best Buy mistakenly issues points in connection with such misconduct, Best Buy may deduct improperly awarded points, invalidate improperly issued reward certificates and/or not issue reward certificates, as well as terminate your membership. Best Buy also reserves the right to deny future membership for such misconduct. Best Buy's failure to insist upon or enforce your strict compliance with these Terms will not constitute a waiver of any of its rights."

From their terms and conditions. Good luck.

If it was a contract you would be correct, but this is not a contract. it is a service hence the existence of a Terms of Service. And it clearly states they can change, modify, or cancel GCU any time they want. You can't see them for this change.

Perhaps if they drastically changed it or get rid of it there can be grounds for some kind of compensation, but I am unsure if they are legally obligated to do so because again the ToS says they can cancel it at any time.

The TOS is exactly why everyone who built up like 5-10 years worth of GCU a year or so back when it was on sale for 20 or 10 or whatever it was, was so idiodic because there is no promise that it will be around or Best Buy will still even be around for that matter.

I applaud the OP for not posting this in the Video Game Deals section as several others have posted in the past.

Mines just recently expired and I'm wondering if I'll renew it. It still comes out good if u tend to buy new releases like right away and/or have friends that do.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back