16 games AND an NES for $11? SCORE!

Gothic Walrus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Long story, so bear with me...

Today was a great day for my NES collection, thanks in large part to my mom...

As I walk out of school to leave, I notice that both of my parents are in the car. "That's odd..." I think to myself. I had a half day of school today (fortunately), and my dad told me that he'd come pick me up when I was done. I didn't know that my mom would be there, and I had no idea what awaited me in the back seat...

I open the door and try to set down my backpack, only to find that a box was in the seat next to me. I sit down with my bag on my lap...and then my curiosity gets the better of me. I move the blanket that is sitting on top of the box and I see...an NES. Good old front-loading NES goodness. I smile as I look at it and notice that all of the cables are there, as are two controllers. "Cool," I say. As I explore the box's contents further, I notice something under the NES. What was it.

Thirteen games. That would be cool in itself, but as I go through the stack, I realize that I don't have any of the games that are in the box. Needless to say, I'm happy about this. I turn to my mom and ask her, "How much did all of this cost?"

"It was only a dollar."

A dollar for thirteen games and an NES. A dollar for thirteen games and an NES. Talk about your bargains!

As it turns out, my parents had gone to a garage sale earlier in the morning and my mom had spotted the box. The sticker on the box actually said "$2.00 for Everything," but she managed to get it for even cheaper than that.

The games in the box? Arch-Rivals, Baseball, Baseball Stars, Double Dribble, Gyromite, Hogan's Alley, Ice Hockey, Karate Champ, Kung Fu, Tag team Wrestling, 10-Yard Fight, Tecmo Super Bowl, and a Duck Hunt cart. (I have Duck Hunt...but not on a cart by itself.)

That in itself would made my day...but things got even better for me. :)

My mom hadn't finished with her garage sales yet, so we went to let her look some more. At the second house I stop at, I find even more gaming goodness...more NES games, some SNES games, one of each console, and a box of old Nintendo Power magazines. I had most of the Nintendo Power magazines, and I passed on most of the games since they were terribly overpriced. I did get a few, though...

R.C. Pro-Am, Blades of Steel, and Punch-Out! (the Mr. Dream version), with the black slip covers and manuals for each game, for $10. More than the other games, but I'd been looking for working copies of R.C. and Blades of Steel for a while. All things considered, $3.33 each isnt' a bad price.

All of the games, laid out on a blanket.

So, for a grand total of $11, I got myself another NES with all of the cables, two controllers, and 16 games. I'd call that a pretty darn good deal...Actually, that's an understatement. I'm absolutely thrilled right now...getting this many games for such a low price is a huge thing for a geek like me. The games may not be great, but most of the titles are decent and filled some of the holes in my collection.

I've got one question that relates to this...There were a few miscellaneous items in the box with the NES, including red discs with "Nintendo" on them and other random items. I'm assuming that they have something to do with Gyromite, but I have no earthly idea what they actually are. A picture of the items is right here. Any chance that someone out there can identify the items for me?

There was no ROB at the garage sale with the NES...bit of a let down, but the rest of the find is still very nice. :)

I'm so happy right now that it's almost indescribable...Time to get some serious gaming done. :D

....i live in the same state as you...so which parallel dimension were you in?

lol, that really is a great find. there are a couple of "sub" sales going on around me FRI, so ill see if i can luck out. i've been trying to get a cheap NES for my mom, somehow her bubble bobble itch came back...

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']I've got one question that relates to this...There were a few miscellaneous items in the box with the NES, including red discs with "Nintendo" on them and other random items. I'm assuming that they have something to do with Gyromite, but I have no earthly idea what they actually are. A picture of the items is right here. Any chance that someone out there can identify the items for me?
[/quote]

You got an awesome deal. Amazing that someone would sell the NES with those games for $1.

Those parts looks like they are part of ROB. The circle discs that look like Tops I think are what ROB holds to put the smaller discs onto. And the item in the top left corner looks like the base to ROB (though I am not sure about that)

nice find! all that stuff for $11 is definitely awesome. I'm sure any one of us would have bought it any day if we have found the same thing :)

Wow, reading that story makes me want to play NES again. I still got some of my games, but my NES is done for. Maybe it's time to find a used one now. BTW, awesome find.

lol ur mom can play her cards (i want a cheap ass mom!! ;) ), if it were me i'd have given em the $2 and run off screaming, if it were my mom she wouldnt b able to tell the nes apart from a vcr... although there was that one time she came home with a bunch of nes games back in the day, i almost had a heart attack.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']I'll give you $2 for it shipped. LOL! (Extremely nice find.)[/quote] I'll give you $2.01 shipped for it. :lol:

The items are:

Top Left: one of the stands that spins the discs

Top Right: is the stand that ROB drops the spinning discs on

Middle Left: Battery Cover for ROB

Middle Right: the Gyromite discs

Bottom Left: No clue

Bottom MIddle: ROBs hand that is used for the Gyromite discs

Bottom Right: ROBs hand that is used for the Stack-Up discs

[quote name='JibbaJabba']The items are:

Top Left: one of the stands that spins the discs

Top Right: is the stand that ROB drops the spinning discs on

Middle Left: Battery Cover for ROB

Middle Right: the Gyromite discs

Bottom Left: No clue

Bottom MIddle: ROBs hand that is used for the Gyromite discs

Bottom Right: ROBs hand that is used for the Stack-Up discs[/quote]

So in other words, I got everything but ROB himself. Darn. :cry:

Changing the topic...it's a bit odd to log onto the site and see that a two week old topic of yours has appeared in the "Latest Posts" list yet again. First time that's happened to me here. :shock:

Since I'm posting here yet again, I should probably let you all know that the NES didn't work very well when I tested it. It worked, but the image was complete crap. The image was, for lack of a better word, wavy and was enough to make games completely unplayable. Then again, I haven't had a chance to test it on another - and possibly better - TV yet, or try with a different set of cables. There's still hope...

just get a new 72 pin connector, they are about 8 bucks on e(vil)bay. As for the parts to the rob robot, would you be interested in selling or trading those? I used to have the robot(i may still have it somewhere) but he has none of the pieces.

Oh nice deals btw

You got the mother of all deals. As suggested, get yourself a new pin adaptor and you got yourself the ultimate cheap ass NES> Nice work. Well, tell your mom nice work.

Nice deal, the nes gods must have been out because I had a nice score 13 nes games for 3 dollars. I was at a flea market most of them was sports games.

Nice Deal I just paid 40 bucks combined for the following last week.

Top Loading NES(no I wont sell)
2 controllers and hookups
Tecmo Super Bowl
Punchout
Zelda
Ninja Gaiden
Duckhunt/Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Top Gun
Shadowgate
Rygar
RBI Baseball
Track and Field II
Super Spike V Ball
Batman
oh and the Zapper (red version ick)

[quote name='Wshakspear']....i live in the same state as you...so which parallel dimension were you in?

lol, that really is a great find. there are a couple of "sub" sales going on around me FRI, so ill see if i can luck out. i've been trying to get a cheap NES for my mom, somehow her bubble bobble itch came back...[/quote]

You know I was actually back home (Plymouth) for that and didn't know the "garage sale weekend" was going on. Oh well, I went and raided a couple lower Michigan CCs and came out with a BB price match on a couple games, needless to say I think my new Waverace Bluestorm, Wario World, Freedom Fighters and Sphinx & The Cursed Mummy all for GC and all under $20 total, is just as good a deal as yours. :)

bread's done
Back