whining noise coming from engine of car when starting

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
on cold days.. it  keeps this up for at least 20 to 30 mins when im driving it and  have no clue

Guessing fuel pump could be going bad

power steering is up

transmition is up

Love these threads. 

Have you hit any animals or small children lately?

Seriously though it sounds like a belt, fluid or pump issue of some sort. Could be minor---could be serious. I know that's not very helpful but it's not a terribly uncommon noise this time of year with things expanding and contracting due to the cool weather

they said power steering pump   but this is coming from the same place telling me i got a  busted axle when in fact it was  a very bent rim 

IMrUlK1.jpg

its the belt starting to go and no longer running smoothly. also could be a pulleys is worn and now wobbling causing the belt to squeal from the tension being off .

might as well change both since they are part of the same job. no point in paying double labor doing each separately .

FYI if you ignore this problem for too long and the belt snaps while you are driving, goodbye engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
its the belt starting to go and no longer running smoothly. also could be a pulleys is worn and now wobbling causing the belt to squeal from the tension being off .

might as well change both since they are part of the same job. no point in paying double labor doing each separately .

FYI if you ignore this problem for too long and the belt snaps while you are driving, goodbye engine.
went to a few places and they both say power steering pump .... but will check the belt.. cousin car is doing the same thing now i think my car gave it something lol

Timing belt on certain types of Engines (Interference) yes. Accessory (or serpentine belt) belt goes car won't but shouldn't take out the engine. It will likely stall (And if doesn't you shouldn't drive / run it anyway)

I don't think I have ever heard of the timing belt making a whining sound. That is usually the serpentine belt which runs the alternator, smog pump, A/C compressor, water pump and power steering.

Serpentine belt I would guess be under $200 to replace including labor.

Timing belt $500 to $1000 maybe a bit less depending on car and market. Much more labor. On most cars it make sense to do the tensioner at the same time and maybe the water pump.

bread's done
Back