* * * * * 2 votes

Cyber Monday 2016 Video Game Deals - Master Thread

Cyber Monday

#271 dfo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   752 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:18 AM

Ratchet and Clank is back in stock @ BB for $12.

I'm seeing it at $19.99 now.

#272 infiniteHorizon   hrzn CAGiversary!   4006 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

infiniteHorizon

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

As someone who used to play a lot of pc games (put 60 hours in Skyrim but never beat it), but has switched over to ps4, do you think playing Skyrim on ps4 will still be enjoyable for me? Is anyone else is the same boat? Is Skyrim still enjoyable for you on console after you played it so much on PC?

Skyrim on a good PC with mods is like a whole different game, for me, there's no going back.

#273 Righteous Nixon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   893 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Righteous Nixon

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

I personally don't like rtings but this backs up what my eyes told me as I was upgrading, early 4K sets (pre HDR) were not much better than 1080p. Either way I'm here for the games and to possibly help someone understand that not all 4K sets are equal.

http://www.rtings.co...caling-compared

You said and I quote "The HDR/DV standard is the key to 4K viewing though. Without HDR, local dimming, WCG etc, 4K isn't all that impressive over 1080p."

Thats just not true at all, at least not if your actually watching 4k content. HDR 4k is superior to non HDR 4k, but it is not the key to 4k viewing. If you pop in a 4k Blu Ray into even the older non HDR 4k TV's, the picture quality will absolutely BLOW AWAY even the best 1080p sets out there. Even with upscaled 4k your going to get smoother gradations due to the larger number of pixels. You just have to have good eyesight and sit close enough to be able to see it. You sit far enough away and you won't even be able to tell the difference between HDR 4k and 1080p.

HDR will soon become the standard so a few years from now it wont make a bit of difference as every 4k set on the market will have HDR, but the 4k sets out there right now that don't have HDR will still put a beat down on even the best 1080p sets out  there when viewing true 4k content. Again the only real exceptions are the very top of the line plasma's like late model Pioneer Kuro's. Even tho I could see a noticable improvement in resolution with my first 4k set, my Pioneer Kuro still had a better overall picture quality due to having deeper blacks and a better overall contrast range. 

The only instance where what your saying is even remotely true is upscaling 1080p content to 4k and even in that situation you should still notice a difference if you have good eyesight and sit close enough as again you get much better gradations with 4x resoluton. 

#274 Bombarded   Banned Banned   2531 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Bombarded

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

Bought eso gold and skyrim but skyrim got delayed and now I get an order cancellation since I put the wrong security code for my credit card lol. Kinda disappointed I lost eso gold but don't care about skyrim since it got delayed to dec 23 lol

#275 Dustwalker14   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   249 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Dustwalker14

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

Not too many deals this year. Did grab some stuff from best buy though. Grabbed a copy of Skryim for myself at 19.99 and Uncharted collection, Farcry Primal, and Fallout for as Christmas gifts for my nephew a hair over 40 dollars.

#276 msjs91011  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

I said bomb Best Buy

Say WHAAAA?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#277 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

As someone who used to play a lot of pc games (put 60 hours in Skyrim but never beat it), but has switched over to ps4, do you think playing Skyrim on ps4 will still be enjoyable for me? Is anyone else is the same boat? Is Skyrim still enjoyable for you on console after you played it so much on PC? (side note, I dont really care about mods)

I know someone else already chimed in but I couldn't make the switch to console for Skyrim. Tried and just hated it. 

#278 sirdan357   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

sirdan357

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

You said and I quote "The HDR/DV standard is the key to 4K viewing though. Without HDR, local dimming, WCG etc, 4K isn't all that impressive over 1080p."

Thats just not true at all, at least not if your actually watching 4k content. HDR 4k is superior to non HDR 4k, but it is not the key to 4k viewing. If you pop in a 4k Blu Ray into even the older non HDR 4k TV's, the picture quality will absolutely BLOW AWAY even the best 1080p sets out there. Even with upscaled 4k your going to get smoother gradations due to the larger number of pixels. You just have to have good eyesight and sit close enough to be able to see it. You sit far enough away and you won't even be able to tell the difference between HDR 4k and 1080p.

HDR will soon become the standard so a few years from now it wont make a bit of difference as every 4k set on the market will have HDR, but the 4k sets out there right now that don't have HDR will still put a beat down on even the best 1080p sets out  there when viewing true 4k content. Again the only real exceptions are the very top of the line plasma's like late model Pioneer Kuro's. Even tho I could see a noticable improvement in resolution with my first 4k set, my Pioneer Kuro still had a better overall picture quality due to having deeper blacks and a better overall contrast range. 

The only instance where what your saying is even remotely true is upscaling 1080p content to 4k and even in that situation you should still notice a difference if you have good eyesight and sit close enough as again you get much better gradations with 4x resoluton. 

What you're saying isn't true at all lol. Most 4K Bluray are just upscaled from 2K anyway, since most movies are still shot in 2K. You'll get more detail on larger screen sizes, but not a huge amount of difference.  People who review TVs for a living say that HDR is a much bigger game changer than resolution. A low end 4K set will not beat a decent 1080p set, since the other picture quality assets will overshadow the slight bump in detail.

#279 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9810 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

I just got a 4K HDR Samsung set yesterday and just the 4K upscaling blew me away but my wife and kids were like "What's the difference between this and our old one?"

Peasants. If they saw them next to one another there would be no doubt in my mind that they would see it. Guess I'm the only videofile in my household.

As far as native HDR and 4K, it looks great (Some Netflix streaming like Luke Cage after upgrading my sub and HBO content like Westworld as I don't yet have a 4K Blu-ray player). But I think I need to mess with the settings some more. Have tried some posted on AV forums but just can't seem to get the right combination yet to eliminate jittering, keep the picture sharp and color saturation.

But even without being 4K, games on my X1 look staggering. Easily the most visible difference.

#280 UltraMysteryDopplega   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   177 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

UltraMysteryDopplega

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:02 AM

What you're saying isn't true at all lol. Most 4K Bluray are just upscaled from 2K anyway, since most movies are still shot in 2K. You'll get more detail on larger screen sizes, but not a huge amount of difference.  People who review TVs for a living say that HDR is a much bigger game changer than resolution. A low end 4K set will not beat a decent 1080p set, since the other picture quality assets will overshadow the slight bump in detail.

You are much less knowledgeable than the poster you were responding to. Stand down and know your place.

It's hilarious that you would advocate for HDR being more important than 4K, when by your own admission true 4K sources are not being used as a basis of comparison. I, like the poster you were responding to, always have the best of the best. The last Pioneer Kuro was a landmark TV, and easily the best on the market for many years until the Panasonic ZT60 finally tied it. The first TVs to decisively beat it are this year's 4K LG Oleds, and the resolution bump is by far the thing I've enjoyed the most out of the upgrade. In many respects, the picture quality is quite similar. Fantastic blacks although the OLED is darker, perfect or near perfect color balance (although the OLED may take more work to get it that way and have more variation in quality between individual TVs). However, the resolution bump is a real game-changer. It's the difference between an image looking real and an image looking like something on a screen. Especially playing PC games with dual GTX 1080s on the 4K OLED, there is no doubt that the resolution is decisive.

HDR can be cool but is mostly a gimmick at this point. Most sources do not implement it well, and it ends up decreasing the picture quality. It blows out the image as if the contrast and color settings were cranked to max (which any calibrator worth anything would laugh at), and the increased color range is not used to good effect. All it ends up doing is clipping whites and causing a loss of detail. The only source I've seen so far to implement it properly was Infamous. There, the particle effects are noticeably more vivid than the max they could be absent HDR, and you're not losing detail either.

You need to own top end displays yourself to intelligently comment on them rather than regurgitating what some clown reviewer said.

#281 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5527 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hmm...just got part of my order from Gamestop's buy 2 get 1 free that was during black friday.  They sent me the PAL version of Sam & Max Season 1 for the Nintendo Wii. 

I guess I have a reason to try and fix my bricked NTSC Wii that I got for like $10 from a local Goodwill a long time ago.  Wish Nintendo would remove the region locks on the Wii U as a going away gift to those that bought a Wii U.  It would be a good enough reason for me to buy a Wii U this late in the Wii U's life.

#282 Righteous Nixon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   893 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Righteous Nixon

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

Yes it is true. Were not debating what percentage of Blu Rays are true 4k. That is a different topic entirely and I never suggested that all 4k Blu Rays are true 4k. The topic was "is true 4k on a 4k set noticably superior to 1080p even without HDR". Try to stay on topic. And again, it is absolutely 100% true. Even without HDR a true 4k image on a 4k set will put a beat down on even the best 1080p sets out there. People suggesting that you must have HDR or the difference between true 4k and 1080p is pretty much unnoticable are simply DEAD wrong. If you honestly can't notice a significant difference between true 4k content on a non HDR 4k set and 1080p content on a 1080p set then your either sitting WAY too far away, own a really crappy 4k tv, or you have the eyesight of a 100 year old person with cataracts. Either way your still dead wrong.

And if you want the perfect 4k Blu Ray to demonstrate just how wrong you are, just watch the 4k version of the Revanant. Much of it was shot natively in 4k digital and the difference between the regular 1080 Blu Ray and the 4k Blu Ray, even on a non HDR 4k set, is absolutely mind blowing. 

#283 elessar123  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:18 PM

*snip*

My advice? Let it go. Members on this forum used to complain about visual quality connecting PS3s to CRT TVs.

Edit: In the last 5 years.

#284 Righteous Nixon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   893 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Righteous Nixon

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:45 AM

My advice? Let it go. Members on this forum used to complain about visual quality connecting PS3s to CRT TVs.

Edit: In the last 5 years.

Yeah, I hear ya. Sometimes I forget that I'm on the internet and on the internet, everyone is an expert on everything. Even the people that clearly have no clue what thier taking about, like sirdan357, try and make it seem like thier experts. Your 100% correct as the best thing to do in these instances is to just let it go and completely ignore such posts. Unfortunately this is just one of the negative aspects of the internet and its only gotten worse over the years. Its actually kinda funny but one of the biggest indicators that your dealing with this type of internet user is the fact that they use lol in every single post they make. Just look at the first sentence in sirdan357's post. 

"What you're saying isn't true at all lol."

That is one of the biggest signs that your dealing with that type of internet expert mentality and its best to just move on and ignore such posts.