2017 Tax Time

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
It's nearing that time again, so thought I'd pop this thread up now.

This is a place for everyone to discuss all things related to filing your taxes for 2017.

We have some pretty knowledge people here, especially the ones who are CPAs, so feel free to ask questions if you have them. :D

heres a question my tax guy is telling me to do 

if i wrote off my miles for the last 20 years and now  being told  No longer do it wouldnt that  bring up major red flags

idea  before right offs  i make around 30k... after taking miles it knocks me down to around 7k..

hes trying to tell me starting in  2018  i would get a bigger right off taking the tax health insurance then i would  then taking the miles

I do them myself. It's not a complicated process to do assuming you are just doing a basic return. I do them online just to get the return processed faster (many sites are completely free too if it's a simplified return and you make under a certain amount) but have done them manually myself and my mother used to do taxes as a side job so I always have her verify things prior to submitting.

Anyone know how much a penalty would be.. I know if it's 1000 or less you wouldn't owe a penalty but say you owed like 1600 .. I read online that penalties aren't that much it's something small like 3% per quarter or so. So my penalty wouldn't be more than say $100 is that safe to assume ?

I do them myself. It's not a complicated process to do assuming you are just doing a basic return. I do them online just to get the return processed faster (many sites are completely free too if it's a simplified return and you make under a certain amount) but have done them manually myself and my mother used to do taxes as a side job so I always have her verify things prior to submitting.
What websites do you use? Only one I've heard of people using is Turbotax (which is a software but I know it has a free version, I think).

I'll be a first time tax filer, as it's the first time I've really had enough income.

What websites do you use? Only one I've heard of people using is Turbotax (which is a software but I know it has a free version, I think).

I'll be a first time tax filer, as it's the first time I've really had enough income.
Taxact, Tax Slayer, and H&R Block are some alternatives.

HR Block is incredibly easy if you still haven't filed. It does everything to walk you through what you need to enter if you're a first time filer. Turbotax is also incredibly easy.

bread's done
Back