Official 2013 Yard Sale Thread

Official 2014 Yard Sale Thread

Official 2015 Yard Sale Thread

Official 2016 Yard Sale Thread

Post your haul with pics!

#2 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

This will be my last thread. 2018 will fall on someone else. I hope some of you will continue the thread :)

#3 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2111 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:40 AM

New thread smell, I like it!

#4 commandercody83   SAMURAI!!! CAGiversary!   1150 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

commandercody83

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

Here's to a good year of finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6691 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

I hope this is the year where I find plenty of good deals on current gen games. Or might just be a bunch of PS2 and Wii crap again :(

#6 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   371 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Facebook just reminded me that this time last year I found two copies of Gotcha Force! at an estate sale. Here's hoping I can start out this year similarly!

#7 RoboSonic   Playing some Soul Reaver 2 CAGiversary!   270 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

I hope this is the year where I find plenty of good deals on current gen games. Or might just be a bunch of PS2 and Wii crap again :(

PS2 games aren't bad! Some of them are either harder to find or cost more money now. Same with Wii ones. Been having a heck of a time trying to find a copy of Mario Kart Wii. Seen one at a Wal Mart some time back for... $39.99. /facepalm  :wall:

#8 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   2225 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

That new thread smell.

2016 was a tough year for yardsales. My best find of the year was the Sculptor's Cut and the  Amiga II with about 40 games and 30 other pieces of software for 75. I kept it hooked up in my downstairs office for the last few months to play with here and there (Maniac Mansion).

I find it is funny that is right next to my 3D Printer. I told a few people who were over that is how I design stuff and then turn it on and load up the command prompt and do some  gibberish and run some text around the screen and turn it off.

I think this upcoming year I'm going to make a new strategy. Try to travel to townwide sales most weekend since the prevalence of them has killed most of the weekly sales in my area.

#9 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Here is the 2017 thrift store thread: https://www.cheapass...-findings-here/

I am going to post this thread's link in the thrift store thread because cross promotion, inception, etc.

#10 Narukami   http://i.imgur.com/J8SRXIT.jpg The hype is dead. CAGiversary!   2280 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:26 AM

PS2 games aren't bad! Some of them are either harder to find or cost more money now. Same with Wii ones. Been having a heck of a time trying to find a copy of Mario Kart Wii. Seen one at a Wal Mart some time back for... $39.99. /facepalm  :wall:

I found one at a yard sale, but the person wanted $10 for it. It might have been worth it if it wasn't riddled with scratches and even had a food particle on the data side.

#11 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6691 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Are you guys trying any new strategies this year when looking for yard sales lol... This year I'm always going to start with the wealthy neighborhoods when I drive around town on Fridays.

Going to try getting to community sales earlier than I did last year as well. Maybe 7:30ish. I seem to miss stuff by 8:00.

#12 elessar123  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

The wealthy neighborhoods usually price things eBay style for me.

#13 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

Middle class neighborhoods are best for sales IMO. They value space/less clutter over getting a lot of money. Poor and rich usually want too much money for stuff.  Another thing to factor in is if it is a stand alone sale or neighborhood sale. If they have an annual sale, they they tend to be more consistent in pricing and neighbors tend to price similarly or ask each other for advice. Now that everyone has smartphones there will be exceptions to the rule.

#14 Gamwhiz  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

You messed up the past thread linking in the OP mate - only the last two links aren't broken. Thought it was a server thing at first but all the lists in the older threads still work, easy fix.

#15 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

I think they are messed up from the CAG 3.0 conversion.

EDIT: I think I have most of them fixed now. Having trouble with the really old ones. Check back in a little while.

#16 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

ok, everything should be fixed now. LMK if something doesn't work!

#17 RoboSonic   Playing some Soul Reaver 2 CAGiversary!   270 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

I found one at a yard sale, but the person wanted $10 for it. It might have been worth it if it wasn't riddled with scratches and even had a food particle on the data side.

Dang. That's frustrating. Hope you can come across a good copy.

#18 Narukami   http://i.imgur.com/J8SRXIT.jpg The hype is dead. CAGiversary!   2280 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:14 AM

Dang. That's frustrating. Hope you can come across a good copy.

Same to you.

#19 Kranekinjar   Scrappy Doo on Xanax CAGiversary!   487 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Kranekinjar

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Damn, 2017 thread! I haven't posted anything in forever (mainly cuz I forgot my password).Got lucky today and found some shway SNES games, 3.00 a piece! Hopefully, I haven't used up all my good luck, for the year lolIMG_0367.JPG

#20 Dashey10  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

Nice find on Mega Man 7!

#21 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2111 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Went into work for a few hours, stayed 15 minutes longer than I had planned.  Stopped at a pawn on the way home and was greeted by the old man scanner standing in front of the $5 old game section.  Of course he was looking up the value of things on his phone.  He walked away with 4 SNES cartridges and asked when they put them out.  I didn't get to see but I'm pretty certain he got some good stuff or he wouldn't be asking questions like that.  He left behind a Mario Paint so I hope it was just the usual Mario games but the fact that he was looking stuff up tells me there was more.  That it was this particular person burns me a bit, he does this strictly for his Ebay account and he's a bit of a smug asshole.

If I had not stayed over 15 minutes at work I would have beat him out on the goods.

#22 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6691 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

No one's posting in the Facebook thread so I'll post this here. My first good deal of the year that could potentially be a fantastic deal.

Bought this 2011 13" Macbook Pro with power cable for $50. It has issues. As of right now I can't get it to boot all the way. I've done minor repairs on my own 2011 15" Macbook Pro so hopefully it won't be too hard to fix this new one. PRAM reset won't work. Maybe it needs a new hard drive? 

EDIT: I was able to get to Disk Utilities. Most likely the hard drive needs to be replaced and that's it.

rMWivy8.jpg

#23 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6691 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

Success! I popped in my old hard drive that originally came with my 15" Macbook Pro, before I upgraded to a SSD.

13" laptop is working fine now.

#24 Captain Wrong   ... CAGiversary!   657 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Captain Wrong

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:18 PM

Success! I popped in my old hard drive that originally came with my 15" Macbook Pro, before I upgraded to a SSD.

13" laptop is working fine now.

You got a fantastic deal. That would have been worth more than $50 just for the parts. :)

It always amazes me how disposable people treat things, especially something like that that still has a lot of life left in it, (I have a 15" of the same vintage), if you just put a small amount of research into how to fix it. I used to work for Apple and we did have a five year cut off at the Genius Bar for repairs, but we also would provide people names and numbers of local shops that would do authorized repairs older than that. I would also point people in the direction of some of my favorite resources if I felt they were up to it, which technically I wasn't supposed to do, but management was never too worried about as it wasn't losing them sales, nor was it an official endorsement. (When I worked there, iFixit wasn't really a thing yet.) Still, a lot of times people would just shrug and head out to the sales floor, even though I was telling them they really didn't have to do that. Always amazed me. 

#25 genesis49  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:45 AM

Ended up getting some stuff from a Facebook garage sale today.
For $5 each I got the following xbox 360 games
Transformers fall of cybertron
DragonBall Z battle of the z
DragonBall raging blast 2
DragonBall Z ultimate tenkaichi
DragonBall Z budokai HD collection

Never played a dbz game but now I have a nearly complete xbox 360 collection of them

#26 Dashey10  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

Got Dragon Quest Builders :ps4: for $10 today from a Facebook group.

#27 Mirpkered   Dyslexic GAC CAGiversary!   1369 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

Lucked out at the auction last weekend. Ended up paying $15 for a 99% copy of HeroQuest board game. Super Win for me :)

#28 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2111 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

Lucked out at the auction last weekend. Ended up paying $15 for a 99% copy of HeroQuest board game. Super Win for me :)

Have that game in my closet collecting dust.  Some of these sites have some insane prices listed, are they really going for that much?

#29 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12524 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

Have that game in my closet collecting dust.  Some of these sites have some insane prices listed, are they really going for that much?

I thought you had dragon strike? I think I was going to buy it off of you like 5-10 years ago. lol Wasn't it some board game wit a VHS tape or something?

#30 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2111 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:41 AM

I thought you had dragon strike? I think I was going to buy it off of you like 5-10 years ago. lol Wasn't it some board game wit a VHS tape or something?

LOL yeah!  I ended up pretty much giving it away in a bundle of board games for $15 on CL.  Guy wasn't really interested in it, he just wanted the Stratego that was in the bundle.  I couldn't find anyone else interested in them.  Even the local gaming store had no interest for virtually nothing.

The bundle included:

• Stratego
  • Trivial Pursuit SNL DVD
  • Annie
  • Family Feud
  • Flinch
  • Water Works
  • Rose pedal place
  • Dragon Strike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2017, yard sale, garage sale, finds, haul, garage sales, yard sales