The Official 2017 Yard Sale Thread - Passing the torch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook just reminded me that this time last year I found two copies of Gotcha Force! at an estate sale. Here's hoping I can start out this year similarly!

I hope this is the year where I find plenty of good deals on current gen games. Or might just be a bunch of PS2 and Wii crap again :(
PS2 games aren't bad! Some of them are either harder to find or cost more money now. Same with Wii ones. Been having a heck of a time trying to find a copy of Mario Kart Wii. Seen one at a Wal Mart some time back for... $39.99. /facepalm :wall:

That new thread smell.

2016 was a tough year for yardsales. My best find of the year was the Sculptor's Cut and the  Amiga II with about 40 games and 30 other pieces of software for 75. I kept it hooked up in my downstairs office for the last few months to play with here and there (Maniac Mansion).

I find it is funny that is right next to my 3D Printer. I told a few people who were over that is how I design stuff and then turn it on and load up the command prompt and do some  gibberish and run some text around the screen and turn it off.

I think this upcoming year I'm going to make a new strategy. Try to travel to townwide sales most weekend since the prevalence of them has killed most of the weekly sales in my area.

PS2 games aren't bad! Some of them are either harder to find or cost more money now. Same with Wii ones. Been having a heck of a time trying to find a copy of Mario Kart Wii. Seen one at a Wal Mart some time back for... $39.99. /facepalm :wall:
I found one at a yard sale, but the person wanted $10 for it. It might have been worth it if it wasn't riddled with scratches and even had a food particle on the data side.

Are you guys trying any new strategies this year when looking for yard sales lol... This year I'm always going to start with the wealthy neighborhoods when I drive around town on Fridays.

Going to try getting to community sales earlier than I did last year as well. Maybe 7:30ish. I seem to miss stuff by 8:00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Middle class neighborhoods are best for sales IMO. They value space/less clutter over getting a lot of money. Poor and rich usually want too much money for stuff.  Another thing to factor in is if it is a stand alone sale or neighborhood sale. If they have an annual sale, they they tend to be more consistent in pricing and neighbors tend to price similarly or ask each other for advice. Now that everyone has smartphones there will be exceptions to the rule.

You messed up the past thread linking in the OP mate - only the last two links aren't broken. Thought it was a server thing at first but all the lists in the older threads still work, easy fix.

I think they are messed up from the CAG 3.0 conversion.

EDIT: I think I have most of them fixed now. Having trouble with the really old ones. Check back in a little while.

Damn, 2017 thread! I haven't posted anything in forever (mainly cuz I forgot my password).Got lucky today and found some shway SNES games, 3.00 a piece! Hopefully, I haven't used up all my good luck, for the year lol[attachment=25304:IMG_0367.JPG]

Went into work for a few hours, stayed 15 minutes longer than I had planned.  Stopped at a pawn on the way home and was greeted by the old man scanner standing in front of the $5 old game section.  Of course he was looking up the value of things on his phone.  He walked away with 4 SNES cartridges and asked when they put them out.  I didn't get to see but I'm pretty certain he got some good stuff or he wouldn't be asking questions like that.  He left behind a Mario Paint so I hope it was just the usual Mario games but the fact that he was looking stuff up tells me there was more.  That it was this particular person burns me a bit, he does this strictly for his Ebay account and he's a bit of a smug asshole.

If I had not stayed over 15 minutes at work I would have beat him out on the goods.

No one's posting in the Facebook thread so I'll post this here. My first good deal of the year that could potentially be a fantastic deal.

Bought this 2011 13" Macbook Pro with power cable for $50. It has issues. As of right now I can't get it to boot all the way. I've done minor repairs on my own 2011 15" Macbook Pro so hopefully it won't be too hard to fix this new one. PRAM reset won't work. Maybe it needs a new hard drive? 

EDIT: I was able to get to Disk Utilities. Most likely the hard drive needs to be replaced and that's it.

rMWivy8.jpg

Success! I popped in my old hard drive that originally came with my 15" Macbook Pro, before I upgraded to a SSD.

13" laptop is working fine now.

Success! I popped in my old hard drive that originally came with my 15" Macbook Pro, before I upgraded to a SSD.

13" laptop is working fine now.
You got a fantastic deal. That would have been worth more than $50 just for the parts. :)

It always amazes me how disposable people treat things, especially something like that that still has a lot of life left in it, (I have a 15" of the same vintage), if you just put a small amount of research into how to fix it. I used to work for Apple and we did have a five year cut off at the Genius Bar for repairs, but we also would provide people names and numbers of local shops that would do authorized repairs older than that. I would also point people in the direction of some of my favorite resources if I felt they were up to it, which technically I wasn't supposed to do, but management was never too worried about as it wasn't losing them sales, nor was it an official endorsement. (When I worked there, iFixit wasn't really a thing yet.) Still, a lot of times people would just shrug and head out to the sales floor, even though I was telling them they really didn't have to do that. Always amazed me.

Ended up getting some stuff from a Facebook garage sale today.
For $5 each I got the following xbox 360 games
Transformers fall of cybertron
DragonBall Z battle of the z
DragonBall raging blast 2
DragonBall Z ultimate tenkaichi
DragonBall Z budokai HD collection

Never played a dbz game but now I have a nearly complete xbox 360 collection of them

Have that game in my closet collecting dust. Some of these sites have some insane prices listed, are they really going for that much?
I thought you had dragon strike? I think I was going to buy it off of you like 5-10 years ago. lol Wasn't it some board game wit a VHS tape or something?

I thought you had dragon strike? I think I was going to buy it off of you like 5-10 years ago. lol Wasn't it some board game wit a VHS tape or something?
LOL yeah! I ended up pretty much giving it away in a bundle of board games for $15 on CL. Guy wasn't really interested in it, he just wanted the Stratego that was in the bundle. I couldn't find anyone else interested in them. Even the local gaming store had no interest for virtually nothing.

The bundle included:

• Stratego
  • Trivial Pursuit SNL DVD
  • Annie
  • Family Feud
  • Flinch
  • Water Works
  • Rose pedal place
  • Dragon Strike

So.. I got a complete Dragon Strike board game the week before at the auction with the sealed VHS tape in it (if you are interested). Also, I sold my heroquest for $129.99. Making those student loan payments!

So.. I got a complete Dragon Strike board game the week before at the auction with the sealed VHS tape in it (if you are interested). Also, I sold my heroquest for $129.99. Making those student loan payments!
Did you happen to get it at an auction in Indiana? The one I sold the guy a couple years ago had the sealed VHS and most of the parts were still on the sprue. The top of the box was crushed, though.

Since we're way off topic, here's the board game purgatory in the hallway closet. Not shown is a crisp early 80's version of "Operation" and some Star Wars puzzles.

Nope. I'm in mid Missouri. The nerd/gamer/geek culture isn't as strong here so things like that are out for cheap because no one values them much.

Got out for a little bit on Sunday just to hit up the local flea market. There were a bunch of people selling stuff. Didn't see much game wise, but I did get a big new tackle box for $6. 60 degree weather in February in Maryland is great. Facebook pickups have gotten me through the Winter, but man I can't wait for the spring community yard sales to start. 

I got a decent FB pick up today (pics in late nevertober). Missed 2 decent FB lots today and one epic Fb lot about a week ago. I grabbed a pic of the epic one, so we can all collectively cry.

I got a decent FB pick up today (pics in late nevertober). Missed 2 decent FB lots today and one epic Fb lot about a week ago. I grabbed a pic of the epic one, so we can all collectively cry.
No tears without pics. :cry:

This was the first time I have ever been able to go to an Indiana yard sale in February. I picked up a glass shelf unit for consoles (and other stuff). I had been looking at this particular shelf for awhile, got it for $50 down from $60. Now I pretty much have to buy one for the other side at retail.

I feel your pain, Slowdive. I missed two N64 lots just today...one with Mario Kart and Super Mario 64 plus some shovelware for $20. The second had Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, and Conker's Bad Fur Day plus a console for $80.  :cry:

That seems almost too good to be true. I wonder if it was a prank or scam.
It was real. It was a housewife that sold some other odds and ends stuff. I know all the game buyers on FB by name, even their alternate accounts. There is one guy that uses 3 different accounts (his, his wife, and a 3rd one with a different name). It is also marked as sold with about 20 people interested. Usually the scammers just delete the post.

The other lot I missed from another seller was a 3ds with 2 pokemon games (gold and silver) and about 12 other games for $25. I was 3rd in line for that one. That one is no longer on the site.

I stopped monitoring the groups as closely b/c there are like 40-50 in my area and b/c the resellers buy anything lego or video game related. My notifications don't even work on FB anymore b/c I get like 1000 a day and it says I have 3.

---

This is the lot I got. I paid her asking price of $5 each. The lady said she had several people message her about the games and offer more while I was driving to pick them up, but I was the only one who wrote 'interested' on the listing. Sneaky bastards trying to buy them from under me.

both 100% complete

First yard sale of the year.

Historical society was doing their indoor yard sale. No games, but I found...

Wildboyz Season 1 & Season 2 rubber banded together. $1 for both.

South Park Season 5. $1.

Also the women running it were calling them "CDs".

Nope. I'm in mid Missouri. The nerd/gamer/geek culture isn't as strong here so things like that are out for cheap because no one values them much.
Here in Michigan, There won't be many sales for another two months.

I was thinking of heading to Missouri this fall for a week of BowHunting deer with my brother. Would you happen to know of any farms to get permission or to rent?

Wow, so glad I still have that 2011 13" Macbook Pro I bought a few weeks ago.

The 2011 15" model that I mainly use may have broke today (damn GPU faulty again it seems). I should be able to use the 13" as my main computer now. Hopefully I won't need to buy a new computer for a while.

Here in Michigan, There won't be many sales for another two months.

I was thinking of heading to Missouri this fall for a week of BowHunting deer with my brother. Would you happen to know of any farms to get permission or to rent?
Honestly, in mid to southeast Missouri, there is a ton of public land thanks to Mark Twain National Forest. If you are more interested in the northern area, I'm not sure other than checking the local conservation areas. There are tons of them that offer good hunting for bow and firearm and not overcrowded.

Personally, I've never hunted on private land for deer and all the years I've went, I've always at least seen deer even if I didn't get a shot.

Honestly, in mid to southeast Missouri, there is a ton of public land thanks to Mark Twain National Forest. If you are more interested in the northern area, I'm not sure other than checking the local conservation areas. There are tons of them that offer good hunting for bow and firearm and not overcrowded.
Personally, I've never hunted on private land for deer and all the years I've went, I've always at least seen deer even if I didn't get a shot.
Thanks!

LOL my "epic" first yardsale find of the year. $1- a pack of firecrackers and an Xbox 360 breakaway cable!!!! She wouldnt take $0.50 and I needed the cable so I was like ".....uhh throw in them old firecrackers then".

Had my first decent yard sale find of 2017! I got everything in the pic below for $40. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but still a decent enough price for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back