2017 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

Narukami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
New year means it's time for a new thread. Being the group of cheapassgamer's that we are, it's only natural that thrift stores would be one of our main areas to hit up. Go ahead and use this thread to show off all of those juicy finds you've had for the 2017 year.

That being said, thrifting requires a lot of persistence, I can't tell you the amount of times that I have come home with nothing. In order for it to be worth your time you really do need to expand past just video game items. I've seen crazy things worth lots of money. Toys, board games, anime and manga sets, other electronics, even holiday decorations!

Here's last year's, the year before last's, and the year before the year before last's thread if your looking for some motivation. Quite a big number of great finds to be seen there.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/353181-2016-thrift-store-thread-share-your-findings-here/

https://www.cheapass...-findings-here/

https://www.cheapass...our-finds-here/

Start posting!

A while back, my old as shit car crapped out on me. I'm stuck taking the bus to work every day. So I haven't thrifted much over the past few months. Feels bad man.

guess i will start the year off with my finds. got these each for $5. it was more than i wanted to spend but they were too good of a deal to pass up.

Went to a salvation army today to try and find an og xbox s controller to match my original Duke controller
Didnt find one, but ended up getting
Left 4 dead 2 xbox 360 $7
Fable lost chapters xbox $5

Saw some ps2 games but dont feel like collecting a while new system now

I got a Microvision for $4. It's an early stab at a handheld game system, dating all the way back to 1979. Unfortunately, the batteries inside the system were probably from 1979 as well, and had leaked inside. I really, really should have been paying more attention...

Anyway, you'll find a picture and more information about the system here:

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/2017/01/microvision-blast-from-birthdays-past.html

It's really, really primitive. Words don't even do it justice... it's like the stone wheel of handheld game systems. Still, I had one when I was a kid, and I'm happy to have it back.

Thanks thrift stores for helping me to start the year off right:

Batch 1: 

All games except GTA IV were $4 each. GTA IV was $2. Ryse, Shadow, The Red Star and GTA IV were all complete with mint looking discs. Luigi's Mansion has a mint disc but is missing the manual (it has the Nintendo warning booklet though). Still for $4 each I was super excited. Those games are generally all way pricier so it was a great score. Ryse and GTAIV aren't worth much more but I've been interested in playing Ryse and I figured for $2 I might as well add GTAIV PS3 to my collection (I have it and played it on 360 already). Then to add the Viceland Emmy2016 box for $4 and the Digimon Vol. 5 DVD set (new) for $2.50 was just icing on the cake. I haven't popped in or watched the Viceland dvd's yet but I love the channel so picking up 9 dvd set of theirs (probably only a few episodes of each show per disc or something) was pretty nice. And as a huge Digimon fan I was stoked to pick up that set. Now to wait and try and find the other Digimon set's at a fairly decent price.... or wait for it all to come to blu ray :(

Batch 2: 

I haven't read comics/tpb's in a while but each of these were $2 each. I had always wanted to try Sandman too so I figured I'd pick em up. The list goes as follows: The Sandman vol. 1 (Preludes & Nocturnes), The Sandman Vol. 2 (The Doll's House), Spider-Man Birth Of Venom, John Constantine Hellblazer vol. 1 (Original Sin), John Constantine Hellblazer vol. 2 (Dangerous Habits). Now if I can only stop reading Star Wars books long enough to actually give these a go that'd be great.

Excited for the fantastic start. Look forward to what other gems I'll find throughout this year

First thrift of the year.

Picked up:

fat PS2 system w/ cables, manuals, box for $15. Looks mint. Just couldn't pass on it.

Nintendo Wavebird controller (no receiver) for $6.

PS3 Buzz Quiz TV with 4 wireless buzzers and dongle for $10.

Saw:

Original big box Warcraft III + Expansion for $6 each

Official Sony PS3 Bluetooth Headset for $10

db6a002aa9.jpg
db89e8aff4.jpg
db6a0bcb9e.jpg
db6a0a7318.jpg
db6a1301e7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Picked up:

fat PS2 system w/ cables, manuals, box for $15. Looks mint. Just couldn't pass on it.

Saw:

Nice score! I remember when I originally bought my W3 and expansion big boxes. Wish I never got rid of them. Good stuff!

Picked up:

Saw:

If that headset had the receiver it would have been a great deal for $10. It isn't bluetooth and it works on PC (maybe Mac?), PS3, and PS4.

Edit: This isn't the yardsale thread. Blargh. I could've sworn there use to be a way to delete posts.

Oh well - on topic kind of. I had a junk year at the thrift stores. I see the good finds here and I think almost the whole year I left thrift stores empty handed except for feeling dirty. Coming out of those places I always need to immediately need to wash my hands.

If that headset had the receiver it would have been a great deal for $10. It isn't bluetooth and it works on PC (maybe Mac?), PS3, and PS4.
I thought it was bluetooth. Good thing I didn't buy it. Thanks for the tip.

End of an era I think. Sitting at the salvation army I've gotten a bunch of good stuff at for $5-7 I've the past couple years.
Just looked and all the games are priced at exactly gamestop prices or higher.
Gears of war triple pack $24.99
Mass effect 2 $9.99
Knights of the old republic 2 $14.99

Just last week these would have all been either 4.99 or 7.99

Must have been a new pricer that was hired over the holidays

So far this year the thrift stores are treating me right. Yesterday at the Goodwill Store I found a copy of Final Fantasy XV Deluxe Edition for XB1 for $44.99. I really wanted to get this for PS4 but for half the price I just couldn't pass it up. It was opened but everything was in it and was in great condition. Just activated the codes inside on XBL and it worked flawlessly too. Along with the FFXV Deluxe Edition the store also had Battlefield 1 and CoD Infinite Warfare for XB1 for $30 each but I passed on those. Almost picked up NHL 15 for PS4 for $5 but luckily I didn't since I already have it lol.

Bought: 
Dirt Rally PS4 $10
NEW/SEALED Rock Band 4 w/ Guitar Xbox One $15 (Giving it to a friend since he has the Rock Band 4 Band In-a-Box bundle and needs an extra guitar)

Saw but did not buy:
BlizzCon 2009 Starcraft 2 Collectible Toy Figure (Retail Box is damaged) $6
Guitar Hero Live w/ Guitar PS4 (Opened box, but game is sealed) $15
Wii/GC Games $6 each (Super Mario Galaxy, Rayman Origins, Metroid Prime)
GameCube System w/ 1 controller, a/v, power cord $15
Air Hockey Table Game Machine $100
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner $6

9968b63843.jpg
9968b958ac.jpg
9968a50bfa.jpg
9968916a4b.jpg
99689d252f.jpg
9968a624ca.jpg
9968aae9b4.jpg
9968b2f107.jpg

It's been a slow start for me (always working now), but my fiance dropped by our usual GW and had a decent score.

-A pink GBA (with battery cover) that had Super Mario Advance 2 in it for 4.99

-Cosmo black 3DS for 4.99.  Charger port was a little wonky, but I managed to fix it.  Pairing it with a cheap charger and trading it in to GS today towards a Switch.  I would keep it, but $90 + $30 promo is hard to beat, plus we just bought our 4-year-old a new 3DS for Xmas, so we don't really need another.

Was actually starting to leave GW when they pushed out a couple carts of stuff. Found the games mixed in with like 100 CDs. $3 apiece. $8- slim PS2, Cabelas game in the tray, ac adapter but no power cable, usb charger cable, .....and a DualShock 3! Cleaned everything and tested with parts I had and its all working fine.

I saw some goodies today, but too much for me to pay.

Mario Party 10 w/ figure and game $25
Power Ranger Morphin Megazord Toy Figure $25 (I really want this so bad)
50+ of Suicide Squad figurines donated by GameStop $3 each (I saw a customer took like 20+ of them)
SNES Advantage Joystick $15
N64 system with no controller $50
Sealed Rave Master GameCube $40
Wii U Captain Toad Treasure Tracker $7 (missing game disc)

a738ada9a3.jpg
a738db66b4.jpg
a738d60bef.jpg
a738cbaadf.jpg
a738bee050.jpg
a738bba4c4.jpg
a738ba1f58.jpg

Goodwill Outlet finds I got some other things today but these were the gaming related items. I paid a total of $2.74. I love that damn place even if all the people are crazy.

2n6ukao.jpg

Still can't believe I found Soul Calibur in the book bin. Plus the disc in a great condition! I have no clue how this ended up in the bin I hardly ever see Dreamcast games out. I got the Game Gear battery pack just because I thought it was hilarious how you can clip it on your waist haha DDR Mario is just an empty case but I always pick up empty cases if they're in nice condition.

The day after Half Off Media Day GW just happened to have a whole stack of Wii, PS2, and Xbox games with a few GC and PS3 games mixed in... might go grab a few more today or tomorrow. Everything is complete. GTAVC even has a minty condition poster still. Keep that for my collection and bundle up my other copy with the PS2 I got last week. $3 apiece, they had a $4 sticker on PacMan but I was like "but those 2 are $3.....". She rang all 3 @ $3.

b3f2162d541f870fb012c587e59d4a2e.jpg
No game finds, but I was able to replace some cassettes in my music collection for cheap. All were $1 each. Discs were flawless.

cb548bda82ae8c1b98939fe5ab6375c1.jpg
Edit: Went back for another look. Glad I did -- I totally overlooked that Rodney Dangerfield CD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up:

Saw:

db6a002aa9.jpg
db89e8aff4.jpg
db6a0bcb9e.jpg
db6a0a7318.jpg
db6a1301e7.jpg
Very nice! Hold onto that PS2, it's a solid model.

No game finds, but I was able to replace some cassettes in my music collection for cheap. All were $1 each. Discs were flawless.

cb548bda82ae8c1b98939fe5ab6375c1.jpg
Edit: Went back for another look. Glad I did -- I totally overlooked that Rodney Dangerfield CD.
Ooh, Mister Ugly Mon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXXWF8tC3t8

Anyway... I went to a thrift ten miles away, and got a long box copy of Battle Arena Toshinden (PSOne) for $1, along with two other (not especially exciting) games.

Nothing exciting but I did snag these things today at 2 different Goodwill stores

Nintendo 3DS Charger - 99 Cents

Gray OEM N64 Controller - $3.99 (Works well)

Didn't find much at my local Goodwill.

Got a DVD of The Pink Panther (the 1960's version with Peter Sellers in it) and a copy of Starsky and Hutch (PS2) along with some books. 

On a side note, I saw a PS1 for sale there.

For $40. Uh no thanks guys.

It had two controllers, some save cards and all of its cords. But they had it all taped up so you wouldn't be able to check it to make sure it was in working order.   :bomb: There's no way I'd ever get something like that without checking it first.

If there was something wrong with the main system itself, like the lid or one of the ports was screwed up, or if one of the controllers was missing a prong, I want to know before hand. Same goes with any of the cords.

I also saw a copy of WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw (PS2), but it wasn't in the best condition. I wanted to get it dang it. But oh well.

Not a big Star Wars guy but these are pretty sweet! $75 apiece, boxes are a little beat up in spots and the Darth Vader one was missing the long plastic bag that goes over it in the box but other than that everything is complete and they work great. FYI for anyone who isnt aware, Force FX lightsabers are like $150+ retail.

Not a big Star Wars guy but these are pretty sweet! $75 apiece, boxes are a little beat up in spots and the Darth Vader one was missing the long plastic bag that goes over it in the box but other than that everything is complete and they work great. FYI for anyone who isnt aware, Force FX lightsabers are like $150+ retail.

Nice! I got a green Luke and a red Vader from a pawn shop a few years back for $20/ea. Both were pretty beat up, the Luke has some bad lights in it (Can't figure out how to open the damn thing up.)

I saw a GC Super Mario Sunshine for $3 at goodwill today, but it had a lot of scratches and I didn't want to deal with having to polish it(which may not even get it working).

I saw a GC Super Mario Sunshine for $3 at goodwill today, but it had a lot of scratches and I didn't want to deal with having to polish it(which may not even get it working).
Yeah, GC games are pretty bad if they're really scratched and I've had little lucky buffing them. Smaller surface area and all that.

I would have picked it up anyway for $3, but I am in a highly competitive area. Someone would probably pay $15 for a non working copy if it were complete without cracks/chips.

Goodwill Outlet finds:

Total cost - under $2 for these items

15e7bb5.jpg

Dragons Quest and CTR are case only no games - bummer.

The Zelda's battery had leaked but the game actually still works . I might look into changing the battery and seeing if it can still save someday.

Goodwill Outlet finds:

Total cost - under $2 for these items

15e7bb5.jpg

Dragons Quest and CTR are case only no games - bummer.

The Zelda's battery had leaked but the game actually still works . I might look into changing the battery and seeing if it can still save someday.
Dang. Sucks about Dragon Quest. I ran into that issue recently at my local store. They shouldn't even put those games out (if they had no games in them in the first place and hadn't been pilfered). Same goes with movies and cd's. It's frustrating.

Might take some pics if I'm able of any empty cases to share here for the lols. It's terrible.

Is it wrong that I chuckled a little when I saw a picture in the newspaper of one of the local GWs getting torn down? I feel bad for any employees that might be out of a job of course but that store was notorious for putting decent Nintendo stuff on ShopGoodwill. Hopefully some of that stuff will show up at the handful of small thrifts in that town....and not at the other Greedwills in the area.

Dang. Sucks about Dragon Quest. I ran into that issue recently at my local store. They shouldn't even put those games out (if they had no games in them in the first place and hadn't been pilfered). Same goes with movies and cd's. It's frustrating.

Might take some pics if I'm able of any empty cases to share here for the lols. It's terrible.
The outlet is where they just dump everything that won't sell at the retail stores. I don't mind picking up the empties on the cheap (everything is 99 cents per pound) for extra cases and what not.

Nothing that I want at goodwill today. However, I did see a badass stainless steel, full-sized Legend of Zelda Link's Hylian Shield for $15. Looks customize/home made and probably weighs about 10lbs or so. Hella cool though.

28c987a194.jpg

28c984e735.jpg

Nothing that I want at goodwill today. However, I did see a badass stainless steel, full-sized Legend of Zelda Link's Hylian Shield for $15. Looks customize/home made and probably weighs about 10lbs or so. Hella cool though.

28c987a194.jpg

28c984e735.jpg
It says Made in China...so I doubt it was a homemade job unless they took something else and doctored it up but it is nice looking.

The outlet is where they just dump everything that won't sell at the retail stores. I don't mind picking up the empties on the cheap (everything is 99 cents per pound) for extra cases and what not.
Ah I see. Well I guess that's one bright spot. Guess I'm just tired of stores screwing people over. Seen some Goodwill's try to sell empty boxes.

Ah I see. Well I guess that's one bright spot. Guess I'm just tired of stores screwing people over. Seen some Goodwill's try to sell empty boxes.
Also could be the boxes weren't empty when they were put on the shelf. If they leave anything in the case or box, chances are very good it's going to be stolen.

Goodwill Outlet finds:

2a62ltw.jpg

Def Jam Fight for NY is a little scratched up but I might go get it resurfaced at family video, I had no idea it had value when I bought it.

EDIT: Went back today. $3 trip

whxzwo.jpg

SMK has all inserts and they are mint. Box was smashed a bit but looks fine. Now just have to get the cart :) I still ask myself why these things end up at the outlet!

More: $2 total - Skylandersguide was 25 cents
15ot9n5.jpg

No games but I did find a copy of Blade Runner 5-Disc Collector's Edition for $6. Pretty happy about it too because it's one of my favorite movies of all times. 

96ccac6dc8.jpg

Nice find! This is a great set - have it myself. I grew up with the "voice-over" version (saw it in theater and subsequent VHS release that got LOTS of repeat plays). Nice to have access to all those different versions and workprints for such a cheap price.

No games but I did find a copy of Blade Runner 5-Disc Collector's Edition for $6. Pretty happy about it too because it's one of my favorite movies of all times.

96ccac6dc8.jpg

its been a busy past week for me:

A friend was selling his n64 lot for $70 that included:

- the console (with necessary wires)

- expansion pak

- 4 controllers

- 12 games (notables were Conker's BFD, Poke Stadium, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Rush 2049)

I gave him $80 because I felt bad; he just wanted to get rid of it though.

then the local thrifts were kind:

- complete ps2 slim in box 25.99 (also had what looked like 2 replacement AC adapters in the box as well??? they were still packaged as if from the factory...really strange.) Also came with Shadow of the Colossus, Gran Turismo 4, and Prince of Persia Warrior Within all complete

- CIB Wii console (extra wii mote and nunchuck inside as well) have no idea why I even got this but whatever

- ton of 360 games for 3 bucks a pop

-- Viva Pinata 

-- Watch Dogs 

-- Black ops 2

-- Fable 2 platinum edition (goty)

-- Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II

-- Battlefield bad Company

-- Ace Combat 6

-- Blazing Angels

-- Beautiful Katamari 

-- Battlefield 4

-- NCAA football 14 

-- Lego Indiana Jones / Kung Fu panda (but Borderlands was in the case instead of Kung Fu Panda)

bread's done
Back