* * * * - 1 votes

Gamestop Skylander's Day - Jan 14th, 2017

Gamestop Game Stop Skylanders Skylanders Imaginators Day

#1 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Start of a new year, and we're already having a Skylander's Day at GameStop!

SkylandersDay.jpg

Skylanders Imaginators Starter Pack (All Consoles) - $39.99

Skylanders Imaginators Dark Start Pack (All Consoles - $64.99

(Free Skylanders Superchargers starter pack with the purchase of either of the above)

Buy 1 Get 1 Free all Imaginator Figures, Crystals, and Chests

Imaginators - $14.99

Crystals - $9.99

Chests -  $5.99

Supercharger Figures and Vehicles - $4.99 each

#2 icyplaya12  

icyplaya12

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Guess I'll be buying some more sensei figures.

#3 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2787 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Hope they discount the Crash/Cortex pack, because I have zero interest in the rest of that thing.

#4 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

Hope they discount the Crash/Cortex pack, because I have zero interest in the rest of that thing.

I just hope they bring Hood Sickle back!

#5 unFunGames  

unFunGames

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

Still best to just wait until October when starter kits will be $20 and figures will be buy 1 get 2 free

#6 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Still best to just wait until October when starter kits will be $20 and figures will be buy 1 get 2 free

Good point, there is a rumor that.. Imaginators is the last Skylanders game, and that Skylanders 2017 was canceled due to under performance of the last two games.

#7 ManchildofPV   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   206 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

ManchildofPV

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

now if only I could find dark crystals and some of the harder to get senseis

#8 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

now if only I could find dark crystals and some of the harder to get senseis

The Dark Crystal hasn't even been released yet.. unless you get it in a 3 pack

#9 Shockins   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   26 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

My kids are so pumped for this game now, however. Doubt I'll be able to temper that. They're too young to be CAGs!! :(

#10 Shockins   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   26 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Will Walmart price match this? My kids only get Walmart GCs for Christmas from their great-grandparents.

#11 litepink   it was love at first sight CAGiversary!   2925 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

Good point, there is a rumor that.. Imaginators is the last Skylanders game, and that Skylanders 2017 was canceled due to under performance of the last two games.

Imaginators is a neat concept and a good next step for the franchise but probably isn't lighting the world on fire.

Activision did this with Guitar Hero though where they saturate you with a game every year (or more). Then you get bored of it quickly. I'm sure after the first Skylanders or two they saw dollar signs in their eyes and you can't blame them for wanting to continue to pump out games yearly but they need to have the foresight to space these out a little. Probably could have went every other year after Swap Force.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe they had the market research that it was going to die in 2016-2018 regardless of release schedule so milk it while you can?

#12 litepink   it was love at first sight CAGiversary!   2925 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

Will Walmart price match this? My kids only get Walmart GCs for Christmas from their great-grandparents.

Odds are no. They changed their in-store price match policy recently to being managed at a store level, which will probably be no given that it's Gamestop and a one day event. I think most stores do not price match whatsoever anyways. Their excuse for the change was, if I recall from the time the press release came out, was that Walmart is dedicated to having the lowest price anyways, so you'll get the lowest price at Walmart (eye roll). It's like when car dealerships claim they have "No Hassle Pricing" because they already have rock bottom prices on cars! No need to fight us on price!!

You can price match via Walmart.com by contacting customer care prior to your order, but your only chance is if Amazon matches the price and you can match it to Amazon.com since Gamestop.com is not a listed retailer to match with.

#13 Liquid Metal   hasta la vista my ass!!!!!!! CAGiversary!   2796 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Liquid Metal

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

Check to see if you have any "$14.99 off a skaylander" power up reward coupons from being part of the skylander club. You can use it with this promo and basically pay nothing for two figures as far as i'm aware.

#14 token2k6   LG FUAD CAGiversary!   4511 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

I know for the last one they released Mystical Bad Juju, is there another Mystical up for this weekend?

I'm only getting variants this time and opening, rather than the vanilla ones and keeping variants sealed. Way too many toys to life figures in storage bins that aren't opened. Grand total spent on figures for every TTL game is approaching $4k (SMH)

#15 grrouchie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

I bought figures at gamestop when they were buy one get 4 free and 10 for $20

sent from my galaxy s6 edge plus using tapatalk on android

#16 vicious7171   Don't you dare call on me, old man! CAGiversary!   439 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

vicious7171

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

Needing to buy trap crystals killed Trap Team for me.  Buying cool statues to unlock characters is one thing.  Activision's greed really shows when you have to buy the stupid crystals.  Creation crystals at least look neat but still are a rip-off.

#17 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:36 AM

Imaginators is a neat concept and a good next step for the franchise but probably isn't lighting the world on fire.

Activision did this with Guitar Hero though where they saturate you with a game every year (or more). Then you get bored of it quickly. I'm sure after the first Skylanders or two they saw dollar signs in their eyes and you can't blame them for wanting to continue to pump out games yearly but they need to have the foresight to space these out a little. Probably could have went every other year after Swap Force.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe they had the market research that it was going to die in 2016-2018 regardless of release schedule so milk it while you can?

It wasn't just Activision

Lego, and Disney jumped on the band wagon, quickly over saturating the market.

Add to this, instead of letting the games cook for a while and growth, they make you buy a new "Starter" pack every new game, along with new portal, etc, etc, ignoring most of the previous figures, then you have problems.

Games 1-3 allowed you to use your previous characters top open and do 75-80% of the game.

Then 4+, only the new figures could access the locked areas of the game.

This is also coupled with the idea Supercharges was marketed wrong. The game was a traditional Skylanders, but marketed as only a kart-racer. Even making the Wii (the highest selling Skylanders console) and 3DS versions Kart-racers only.

#18 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

I know for the last one they released Mystical Bad Juju, is there another Mystical up for this weekend?

I'm only getting variants this time and opening, rather than the vanilla ones and keeping variants sealed. Way too many toys to life figures in storage bins that aren't opened. Grand total spent on figures for every TTL game is approaching $4k (SMH)

Mystical Tae Kwan Crow

#19 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2787 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:04 AM

I just hope they bring Hood Sickle back!

He seems cool. But I don't have this game, and the only one I tried (Swap Force, I think it was called?) didn't light my pants on fire.

I just want the Crash figures, like I wanted the DK/Bowsers from Supercharged.

#20 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

He seems cool. But I don't have this game, and the only one I tried (Swap Force, I think it was called?) didn't light my pants on fire.

I just want the Crash figures, like I wanted the DK/Bowsers from Supercharged.

Well the Super Charger Starter Packs are $15 each new at ToysRUS, both Normal and Dark.. so you can get the Black editions of both DK and Bowser.

Hood Sickle seems to just have sold out, It's driving me nuts.

#21 Monoxide1986   Recovering Flipper CAGiversary!   1167 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Monoxide1986

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:46 AM

Well the Super Charger Starter Packs are $15 each new at ToysRUS, both Normal and Dark.. so you can get the Black editions of both DK and Bowser.

Hood Sickle seems to just have sold out, It's driving me nuts.

Picked up the Wii Dark Version that comes with Bowser. I don't even see the Wii U dark version available on TRU online and I am not sure if TRU carried it in store.

#22 unFunGames  

unFunGames

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:55 AM

Skylanders would have probably been OK if Disney and Lego didn't jump on board.

I still think Disney Infinity 3.0 was done completely wrong. It should have just been Star Wars infinity and used a different art style. I've got all the SW DI characters but they just look silly. Imagine if they had made a SERIOUS Star Wars game with dozens of figures (BB8, Qui-Gonn, Wedge, Porkins, Wampa, Jabba, Ree Yeese, Bib Fortuna, Lando, costume variants etc). Instead they just tacked on Star Wars to a game that didn't really fit the Star Wars universe. Total waste of potential.

#23 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

Skylanders would have probably been OK if Disney and Lego didn't jump on board.

I still think Disney Infinity 3.0 was done completely wrong. It should have just been Star Wars infinity and used a different art style. I've got all the SW DI characters but they just look silly. Imagine if they had made a SERIOUS Star Wars game with dozens of figures (BB8, Qui-Gonn, Wedge, Porkins, Wampa, Jabba, Ree Yeese, Bib Fortuna, Lando, costume variants etc). Instead they just tacked on Star Wars to a game that didn't really fit the Star Wars universe. Total waste of potential.

Disney died first because of all the limitations...

Sure they had HUGE IPs, but the IPs couldn't interact... so.. what's the point!

You can't have Marvel in Star Wars, or Star Wars in Monster's Inc.. etc etc.

#24 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:57 AM

Picked up the Wii Dark Version that comes with Bowser. I don't even see the Wii U dark version available on TRU online and I am not sure if TRU carried it in store.

DK is literally the most OP char.

I played through the entire game with just him...

#25 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1284 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Aside from accessing specific levels, what's the point of a Sensei? They're so freaking weak! I've been trying to play with them a little bit so they don't get destroyed during the gong show, but it's tedious since their stats suck until very high level.

If I had one major complaint about Imaginators, it's that the level of locked weapons is too low. Unless there's something beyond Ultimate that I haven't seen yet. I've enough Sensei that  I can level dudes up to 31. But I can access the best equipment by level six. That means finding stuff for the majority of the game seems useless. I have tried starting new guys (which is probably why they did things like this. Bored with your current dude? Buy another crystal and make a new one!), but not too far into the game you can level up from 1 to 6 in less than half a level. 

One minor complaint is that starting with the Dragon Temple level, you can no longer get all stars in a single run. I hate artificial game length padding like that. 

Overall though, this may take the number 3 spot in my favorites list- though the person that said playing 2 player is kind of stupid was correct. Two player causes a bunch of glitching (at least on the PS4 version we're playing). The aforementioned Dragon Temple level was especially obnoxious because of the many jumps. So my son and I have been doing some of the story levels simultaneously but splitting up sensei stages. 

#26 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1922 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Aside from accessing specific levels, what's the point of a Sensei? They're so freaking weak! I've been trying to play with them a little bit so they don't get destroyed during the gong show, but it's tedious since their stats suck until very high level.

If I had one major complaint about Imaginators, it's that the level of locked weapons is too low. Unless there's something beyond Ultimate that I haven't seen yet. I've enough Sensei that  I can level dudes up to 31. But I can access the best equipment by level six. That means finding stuff for the majority of the game seems useless. I have tried starting new guys (which is probably why they did things like this. Bored with your current dude? Buy another crystal and make a new one!), but not too far into the game you can level up from 1 to 6 in less than half a level. 

One minor complaint is that starting with the Dragon Temple level, you can no longer get all stars in a single run. I hate artificial game length padding like that. 

Overall though, this may take the number 3 spot in my favorites list- though the person that said playing 2 player is kind of stupid was correct. Two player causes a bunch of glitching (at least on the PS4 version we're playing). The aforementioned Dragon Temple level was especially obnoxious because of the many jumps. So my son and I have been doing some of the story levels simultaneously but splitting up sensei stages. 

Kaos and Mysticat are effective even at low levels, and when all their skills are unlocked, they become so powerful they almost break the game. Mysticat is especially great for younger players because his skills are easy to use. He has both drones (which each have lasers) and decoy attacks, as well as four satellites that surround him when he fires that knock out any enemies that break through. Throwing out a couple drones (especially when powered up) can help take out an entire room of enemies.

#27 Ratmonkey  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

Disney died first because of all the limitations...
Sure they had HUGE IPs, but the IPs couldn't interact... so.. what's the point!

You can't have Marvel in Star Wars, or Star Wars in Monster's Inc.. etc etc.

^this. I think of the times I tried to explain infinity to people looking to buy for their kids.

"So, you have figures, playsets and discs. And these figures go to this playset and these go to this playset and these go to no playset but can work in the toy box. And these discs give powers but these give vehicles and these change the sky and the ground but not when you are in a playset."

#28 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1922 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

^this. I think of the times I tried to explain infinity to people looking to buy for their kids.

"So, you have figures, playsets and discs. And these figures go to this playset and these go to this playset and these go to no playset but can work in the toy box. And these discs give powers but these give vehicles and these change the sky and the ground but not when you are in a playset."

That's why I like Lego Dimensions. The content you get is a ripoff compared to standalone games, but the ability to use characters in worlds other than their natural ones makes it worth it, to me. That, and the free-roaming "Adventure Worlds" are fun to explore, are where you get the most gold bricks (key to unlocking new vehicle builds), and where the minikits you collect can be utilized, something that had no function in standalone games (though that might have changed). Many can also be accessed via the cheapest packs.

#29 icpmattj   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

Are the Skylander Day event prices good online as well?

Local stores around here have had like 2 figues and a crystal or two the last two weekends we went into the stores.

Hoping to pick up a few online.

#30 token2k6   LG FUAD CAGiversary!   4511 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

I could not get 2 Senseis on one transaction and use the free Active Offer coupon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gamestop, Game Stop, Skylanders, Skylanders Imaginators, Day