Are Penny Guides still a thing?

spmahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I haven't been following this too much, but I haven't seen a deals thread for penny guides in a long time, have stores gotten wose to this scam and stopped automatically adjusting prices in their POS systems? I was in a Toys R Us today that clearly doesn't monitor their guides and still have a ton on the shelf for games that were 3+ years old and almost certainly should have been dumped by now, they wouldn't scan at the scanner, but when I asked for a price check they all came up full price. I assume that maybe instead of automatically adjusting the prices in the POS they send a list to stores every month of which guides to pull and manually change the price on and destroy, and maybe some stores don't bother? I used to like penny guides, they made good trade bait, or quick easy flips, even if you were only getting $5 profit on them, if you could pick up 10 or more it was decent money.

Gamestop still marks the guides down but it seems extremely YMMV on if you will be allowed to purchase the guide once the employee sees it ring up for a cent.

Best Buy hasn't had penny guides in a few years with a change where they ring up not for sale at the register except for the occasional guide that will ring up for a penny (maybe a couple a year?). I miss the guides at Best Buy the most since in the around 10 years I was getting guides from them before they rang up not for sale, I only got denied once.

I'm not sure about Toys R Us, I haven't gotten a penny guide from them in a while since I moved and my new local stores are really good about pulling them.

About a year ago guides at Best Buy started ringing up a penny again. No one exactly knows why but it could have been a change to their system that allowed it to happen.

Within 2 weeks, IATCG notified Best Buy on their forums and penny guides once again disappeared and started ringing up not for sale.

Not really sure why IATCG did that; I believe no one really knows, but it happened and heyho that's life

bread's done
Back