Jump to content


- - - - -

New card, CAG style. Opinions?


#1 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2794 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

[I know which is better between the two, but I have a huge backlog and it will take years before I will need a 1070.]

I have a $100 Dell Promo GC that expires on 3/10. My MSI 660Ti PE is crapping out due to MSI overvolting them(it has the randomly wont boot problem that there was an article about years ago, why MSI got on nVidia's blacklist) I will be getting a Scorpio(since it is supposedly going to have 1070 rivaling performance (woohoo if true.)

So I can price match and get the XLR8 1070 for $290(PM the $380 at newegg, it's their reg price so I hope Dell won't refuse), or I can do the smarter thing and get the 1060 6GB for $180 and them just step up whenever I need to, probably when the GTX 13-- are out.

I have a 1080P monitor so the 1070 wouldn't work very hard.

#2 TimeDoctor   TimeDoctor CAGiversary!   215 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

TimeDoctor

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

If you're talking about the EVGA step-up program, there is a limited time window to do that http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

I would get the 1070, so I could keep the card longer. That's what I did when I built my computer last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2794 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:11 AM

If you're talking about the EVGA step-up program, there is a limited time window to do that http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

I would get the 1070, so I could keep the card longer. That's what I did when I built my computer last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, no, don't have any EVGA stuff right now.

TL;DR My MSI card was crap, need a new one. Have a Dell $100 GC from a promo purchase that expires on March 10th, so I'll have Dell pricematch the few cards they sell to Newegg price and use the gift card.

So I am deciding between a $180 PNY 6GB 1060 or a $290 PNY XLR8 1070 GTX(think of the EVGA 1070 FTW.

#4 headpiece747   I'm always angry CAGiversary!   2879 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

headpiece747

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

I would get the 1070, so I could keep the card longer. That's what I did when I built my computer last year.

Have to agree go with the highest card you can afford at that time so you are not looking for an upgrade sooner than you think.

Also if you do want to save cash ask yourself if you are willing to downgrade graphic settings and possibly not have 60fps minimum in newer games.