* * * * * 10 votes

Official Collector's Edition Compilation VII 2017 Update!

#2491 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   7763 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Anyone find out for sure if the deformers ce is half off for pro memebers?

Yesterday was possible, but with a manual override. Today SHOULD be fine without a manual override, but regardless if you are PUR Pro you should get it for half off.

Anak+Chuckatoa.png

xkcd comics: Zealous Autoconfig | RTFM | Borders | A random comic strip

GameStop TIV comparison spreadsheet --> https://docs.google....zkYs/edit#gid=0

#2492 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49724 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

Yesterday was possible, but with a manual override. Today SHOULD be fine without a manual override, but regardless if you are PUR Pro you should get it for half off.

I'll find out today when I pick it up and hopefully get my $20 back in credit used for my pre-order. 

#2493 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5282 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

He's not wrong on several points contributing to the "collector problem."

But to completely paint social media as an innocent angel and completely acquit it from being a #1 driving force of the post 2005+ collector market bubble is just flat out wrong and irresponsible.

Example being childhood nostalgia and people having income when they are older.  Wii U and Vita games are already hitting 3 figure prices and those systems are only 5 years old.  

What, did 5 year olds turn 10 and get disposable income and feel nostalgia for the system they had yesterday?  Nope. Did a 10 year old turn 15 and have nostalgia to pay $200 for MMA Supremacy or Hyperdimension Neptunia? Nope.  

What happened? Exactly what I said happened before he comes in with "Wrong.": A few people made a top ten rarest games for Vita scare video on YouTube with those games mentioned and that's all it takes.

At the same time as video games around 2005+, other previously dormant hobbies also suddenly experienced the same bubble:

Guns ($300+ Mosin Nagants and no more CZ52s now because of every prepper and gun channel constantly harping them in "top 5 guns everyone should have" videos).

Old cars were done in by Barrett Jackson and similar shows.

Social media is entirely the common factor.

I don't know, I've been collecting video games since 1987 and there have been numerous points along the way, long before the current wave of social media, where prices have spiked.  Even in the days where collectors communicated mostly on early message boards and through photocopied zines, there were certain games that commanded crazy prices.  It goes in waves.  As one generation seems to cool off as the collectors age out, the next one seems to heat up.  

I personally agree that there is more competition among collectors for new "limited" release games nowadays, but it's frankly more a matter of people of a certain age having a lot of disposable income and just a general interest among those people in collecting things whether it's video games, poster prints, variant cover comics, art books, vinyl or whatever.  I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for anything released in the past decade or so as almost everything was printed in massive quantities and there are many collectors who have sealed or pristine copies of games being stored away that will eventually hit the market when they lose interest or life changes like marriages, kids, etc...change their focus.  I enjoy certain Youtube and collector oriented content and I certainly don't feel jealous or upset when a rare item lands in the hands of someone who knows and appreciates what it is.  I mean I'd rather it be preserved and protected than languish in someone's garage or end up in a landfill.  Indeed, making video game collecting more prominent has resulted in a lot more items ending up on Ebay and elsewhere that may never have been available to collectors in the early days of collecting.  I'm grateful to have that opportunity and enjoy the fact that video game collecting is a little more mainstream than it was when I started out.   

#2494 csbaker-az  

csbaker-az

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

I think a tornado would almost be a blessing.  It would be too much effort to start over.  I would just take the insurance money and throw it in my IRA and enjoy freedom from the collecting curse.  I've been hoarding video games since I had NES and SNES when they were new in the store.  I wouldn't dream of trying to replace all that via ebay at $500 a game even if I could. Gross.

As for malicious human causes?  Breaking into an always occupied house while armed in the state of Arizona, regardless of 'intent', ranks up in the top 3 worst poor life choices.

#2495 PulsarInferno  

PulsarInferno

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

https://www.callofduty.com/wwii/splash

CoD: WW2 reveal next week hopefully collectors editions announced also 

Pulsarinferno.png

#2496 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49724 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

https://www.callofduty.com/wwii/splash

CoD: WW2 reveal next week hopefully collectors editions announced also 

At least we won't have to worry about Wallet Raping Juggernog Edition 2 from a WW2 game. 

Steelbook or bust, people.  Accept nothing less. 

#2497 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   12791 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

Lol COD. I don't think even the developers care about the game anymore.

Posted Image

#2498 csbaker-az  

csbaker-az

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Lol COD. I don't think even the developers care about the game anymore.

EA, Microsoft, and Activision have never cared about the games.

#2499 the_vahngo  

the_vahngo

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

EA, Microsoft, and Activision have never cared about the games.

EA used to back in the days of medal of honor allied assault and command & conquer generals.

Where that creative talent has gone? No idea.

#2500 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2940 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

At least we won't have to worry about Wallet Raping Juggernog Edition 2 from a WW2 game. 

Steelbook or bust, people.  Accept nothing less. 

I gotta ask, did you get the Infinite steelbook? I did and still kinda regret it since I don't have any time for the season pass but on ebay it's still around 30 bucks so buying it aftermarket doesn't look like it would have been a good idea either.

#2501 csbaker-az  

csbaker-az

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

EA used to back in the days of medal of honor allied assault and command & conquer generals.

Where that creative talent has gone? No idea.

The parent studios did.  Westwood, etc.

When any respected small studio made a game that received any kind of hype and fanfare, EA would snatch them up with haste and take ownership of the brand under the EA logo.  Then they would force them to water it down with mainstream appeal (eg add more guns and tough guys), and prematurely release it by holiday season with a "quarterly statements now, patch it later" approach. 

And when it did poorly they would sweep it under the rug and squat on the IP for all eternity while moving on to the next speculated big thing, never advancing the IP themselves or willing to sell it to someone else who could do it justice for less than 9,999,999,999,999,999,999 billionty dollars.

They ruined a lot of classic studios chasing AAA mainstream dollar signs and even if those studios ever wanted to reform the IP is locked away in black hole forever.

EA itself hasn't produced anything of value on their own in a while, they are basically just an investment parasite leeching off a bunch of smaller studios that used to be independent and always looking for ways to monetize the air you breath.

I loved Zero Hour, but it was so crash and slow down prone esp in 8 player games, and they never bothered to fix it because it was already released and no longer making them money.  Just one of countless EA victims.

I was going through a box of old PC games a week ago and found a giant Command and Conquer collection with like 6 different classic C&C games.  The word "Westwood" was nowhere to be found in print anywhere on the box.  Assholes.

#2502 Nick51705   Zelda Fan CAGiversary!   3979 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Talking about Westwood only makes me think about Red Alert 2. Gonna listen to Hell March 2 now.

#2503 ChiefBrody1027   40th Anniversary CAG CAGiversary!   941 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

ChiefBrody1027

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Talking about Westwood only makes me think about Red Alert 2. Gonna listen to Hell March 2 now.

Legend of Kyrandia was one of my favorites back then.

Chief_Brody_1027.png

#2504 PulsarInferno  

PulsarInferno

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

I gotta ask, did you get the Infinite steelbook? I did and still kinda regret it since I don't have any time for the season pass but on ebay it's still around 30 bucks so buying it aftermarket doesn't look like it would have been a good idea either.

I did, I got it for FREE!  :D/

Pulsarinferno.png

#2505 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49724 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

I did, even though it was a GS exclusive. 

#2506 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2940 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

I did, I got it for FREE!  :D/

You gotta steelbook guy?

#2507 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2918 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/1911015214/

BOTW Deluxe Guide is back up on Amazon at MSRP. Are these likely to be smashed up returns? 

I ordered one as a return/replace since my first one arrived damaged. I don't have high hopes, but there's nothing to lose at this point. At least it'll be $47.99 and not $79.99!

"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#2508 Callidus   VG Collectaholic CAGiversary!   2024 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

The parent studios did.  Westwood, etc.

When any respected small studio made a game that received any kind of hype and fanfare, EA would snatch them up with haste and take ownership of the brand under the EA logo.  Then they would force them to water it down with mainstream appeal (eg add more guns and tough guys), and prematurely release it by holiday season with a "quarterly statements now, patch it later" approach. 

And when it did poorly they would sweep it under the rug and squat on the IP for all eternity while moving on to the next speculated big thing, never advancing the IP themselves or willing to sell it to someone else who could do it justice for less than 9,999,999,999,999,999,999 billionty dollars.

They ruined a lot of classic studios chasing AAA mainstream dollar signs and even if those studios ever wanted to reform the IP is locked away in black hole forever.

EA itself hasn't produced anything of value on their own in a while, they are basically just an investment parasite leeching off a bunch of smaller studios that used to be independent and always looking for ways to monetize the air you breath.

I loved Zero Hour, but it was so crash and slow down prone esp in 8 player games, and they never bothered to fix it because it was already released and no longer making them money.  Just one of countless EA victims.

I was going through a box of old PC games a week ago and found a giant Command and Conquer collection with like 6 different classic C&C games.  The word "Westwood" was nowhere to be found in print anywhere on the box.  Assholes.

Poor, poor Westwood.  They sure got hosed in that whole deal.  I mean, EA only paid them $123m in the sale - which is only about ~35x the combined earnings Westwood saw from C&C and C&C Red Alert combined.  Evil, evil EA.  (Note the dripping sarcasm.)

As a gamer, I understand the anti-EA sentiment because I miss a lot of the studios they have purchased up and eventually shuttered over the years too.  But I don't feel too sorry for the studios themselves who, by and large, made out like bandit kings.

37970.png
Currently Playing:    :ps4: Nier Automata,   :vita: N/ATM   :wiiu: Mario Kart 8,   :ps3: N/ATM,   :3ds: N/ATM,   :xb1: N/ATM   :360: N/ATM

Game Collection  |  Game Room Pics

* CIB Sets: 32X, Jaguar, Jag CD, Sega CD (working on variants), Vectrex, Virtual Boy, Vita, Wii U (working on variants)

* CIB Sets In-Progress: 3DO, N64, PS1 longboxes, Vita (international exclusives), Xbox (OG)

WANTED: DinoPark Tycoon (3DO, CIB w/ Longbox) - if anyone has for sale/trade, please PM me!

#2509 csbaker-az  

csbaker-az

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Poor, poor Westwood.  They sure got hosed in that whole deal.  I mean, EA only paid them $123m in the sale - which is only about ~35x the combined earnings Westwood saw from C&C and C&C Red Alert combined.  Evil, evil EA.  (Note the dripping sarcasm.)

As a gamer, I understand the anti-EA sentiment because I miss a lot of the studios they have purchased up and eventually shuttered over the years too.  But I don't feel too sorry for the studios themselves who, by and large, made out like bandit kings.

Again that's assuming the studios care more about money than the games, which is usually not true compared to investor and bureaucrat top heavy publishers like EA itself.

For many smaller studios, as long as they can make enough to sustain a comfortable growing small business and make a living, I think they would rather make games for their fans rather than watch their IPs stolen from them and locked up in a trash can.

#2510 Callidus   VG Collectaholic CAGiversary!   2024 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

Again that's assuming the studios care more about money than the games, which is usually not true compared to investor and bureaucrat top heavy publishers like EA itself.

For many smaller studios, as long as they can make enough to sustain a comfortable growing small business and make a living, I think they would rather make games for their fans rather than watch their IPs stolen from them and locked up in a trash can.

That's a good fairy tale.  If Westwood wanted to own their IPs and continue running a mom-n-pop shop small business they wouldn't have sold themselves off to Virgin Interactive in the first place.   People tend to conveniently forget that long before C&C came around, Westwood had sold themselves off to Virgin (way back in 1992).  EA had zero to do with them heading down that path.

If you're speaking more generally about studios, well there's nothing in the Constitution or Commandments (last I checked anyway) that says "Thou shalt sell your indie game studio if offered a truckfull of money for it."  So if they would rather stay true to the art and live in kibbutzim and all that hippie mumbo jumbo than cash out on their studio, I believe they are still free to do so.

37970.png
Currently Playing:    :ps4: Nier Automata,   :vita: N/ATM   :wiiu: Mario Kart 8,   :ps3: N/ATM,   :3ds: N/ATM,   :xb1: N/ATM   :360: N/ATM

Game Collection  |  Game Room Pics

* CIB Sets: 32X, Jaguar, Jag CD, Sega CD (working on variants), Vectrex, Virtual Boy, Vita, Wii U (working on variants)

* CIB Sets In-Progress: 3DO, N64, PS1 longboxes, Vita (international exclusives), Xbox (OG)

WANTED: DinoPark Tycoon (3DO, CIB w/ Longbox) - if anyone has for sale/trade, please PM me!

#2511 Vogyn   MMO Junkie CAGiversary!   506 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

Amazon has Mirror's Edge Catalyst CE for around $50, both versions. 

#2512 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   21864 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

I really want that CE... but after that BF1 CE and how big that thing was, I think I'm gonna pass. Just don't have the room anymore. 

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Zelda Breath of the Wild - :)

fyreboltx.png

║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#2513 The Holy Pretzle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1903 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

The Holy Pretzle

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

I really want that CE... but after that BF1 CE and how big that thing was, I think I'm gonna pass. Just don't have the room anymore. 

Back a few years ago I'd look at cheap CE's here and just buy them all up without even thinking about it, stopped when I realized how quickly my room was filling up with supbar statues and huge ass boxes of just... crap.  

#2514 booni3  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

Tempting! If only the general reception of the game itself hadn't put me off. 

DiablosTheForge.png

#2515 Fuzzmeister  

Fuzzmeister

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

I went to gamestop and the Deformers CE didn't take to the discount code.  The normal version did.

#2516 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2918 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:52 PM

I just want the Steelbook....very tempting
"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#2517 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   5696 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:09 AM

Picked up something neat from a local retro game store this afternoon:

IMG_3196_zps9fz4snud.jpg

I didn't even realize that hardcover guides existed from way back in 2006-2007.  Never seen this one before. 

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#2518 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   10732 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:10 AM

I bought the BF1 CE and thought it was pretty nice for the $4X.XX price. Statue is now in my cube with the cloth poster and pad pinned behind it. Deck of playing card is also practical. Don't know what I would do with the pigeon tube.

Box is sturdy, I plan to keep some baby toys organized in it.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List Currently inactive, no time to play any games _(:3」∠)_

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#2519 Vigilante   CAG is the Key CAGiversary!   35946 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

Picked up something neat from a local retro game store this afternoon:

Spoiler

I didn't even realize that hardcover guides existed from way back in 2006-2007.  Never seen this one before. 

I think that was originally released in the UK, similarly to how Piggyback's FFX guide was never released here.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing:  :ds: Dragon Quest VI :ps4: Crash Bandicoot 2; Tales of Berseria :vita: Salt & Sanctuary; Ys: Memories of Celceta

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps4: Horizon: Zero Dawn (4.0/5) :vita: P4: Dancing All Night [UK] (4.25/5)

#2520 wolf96  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:07 AM

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/1911015214/

BOTW Deluxe Guide is back up on Amazon at MSRP. Are these likely to be smashed up returns? 

Thanks for the heads up, put in an order for one.

Only one way to find out.   Please order one and tell how you get it. 

I'll get mine tomorrow and let you know