CAGcast #485: A Quintessential CAGcast

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Garth Brooks Boxsets, GameStop’s Circle of Life, Oculus vs Zenimax, Nintendo Switch and so much more!
Check out our CAGcast YouTube channel with clips and whole episodes!

MP3 (1 hours 17 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS - YouTube

Get $35 off your first week's deliveries at http://www.hellofresh.com with coupon code CAGCAST35

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Peter Bjorn and John - Dominos (Galantis Remix)

Outro - Media Break from Robocop

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free Big Mac sauce? Beats what Wendy's gave Wombat for his singing skills.

Why didn't Shipwreck give it a try? It's only $7.

I'm sorta confused as to how it's even possible that Ship guessed the ending to Split? Especially with the only clue he was given being AT-STs. I don't even have a clue how that could reference the ending of Split.

I wish I had a strong reason to buy the Switch. I am going to get it, but I feel like I am getting it just because it's the new Nintendo product.

I just hope there are major titles to come out for it, besides first party and indie titles. The Wii had a decent third party library, with the likes of WWE, COD, and major sport titles. The Wii U barely had that library.

I remember standing in line in NYC to  pre-order a wii and feeling embarrassed when people asked me why I was in line. I cannot imagine how I would feel if I had to tell them it was for Big Mac Sauce. :)

Not to bore you with specifics but it would cost significantly more to repackage old box sets than starting from scratch.

CD Reproduction is cheap.

Additional Handwork and Collecting/Shipping the old products back is EXPENSIVE.

I am about a 1/3 of the way through reading Console Wars (Actual Printed Book Form) and while I am enjoying the book quite a bit, there is one thing doesn't work for me.

In the "Author's Note" section it states the following “In certain situations, details of settings and description have been altered, reconstructed, or imagined. Additionally, most of the dialog in this book has been re-created based on source recollections of content, premise, and tone."

With that said. . . I feel like a lot of the re-created dialog is bad. It often is riddled with cliches that no one would ever say and would be featured on a shitty Aaron Sorkin show.

I'm sorta confused as to how it's even possible that Ship guessed the ending to Split? Especially with the only clue he was given being AT-STs. I don't even have a clue how that could reference the ending of Split.
I don't understand it, either.

The twist doesn't come till the very end of the movie. The thing that happens with 20 minutes left isn't a twist. It's signposted all the way along.

He's a smart fella! Have you watched this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2kFk5M9x4

I can take a screenshot of the iMessage if you don't believe me.

I have no interest in seeing the movie, but I'm really curious. Could you post the twist in spoiler tags or something?

He's a smart fella! Have you watched this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2kFk5M9x4

I can take a screenshot of the iMessage if you don't believe me.
Ok, that makes more sense. Though AT-STs barely appear in Rogue One for longer than a few seconds, I understand what you meant now.

Spoiler for the ending of Split! DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN OR HAVE ANY INTEREST IN SEEING SPLIT!

Bruce Willis is shown in a diner at the very end of the film with a name tag showing that he is his character from Unbreakable and that Split takes place in the same universe, implying that this movie was a supervillian origin story and that Bruce Willis' character from Unbreakable will face off against him in a third movie.

I agree with your overall opinion Cheapy. I thought the movie was good not great. The ending really didn't do anything for me even though I understood the reference.

Gamestop does not always take your money when you pre-order online, and pick-up in store. It's a "hold-item" situation for me most of the time, no money is exchanged. I buy crap from them all the time this way. My recent lego dimensions pre-orders were not billed to me in advance.

A few weeks back you guys were lamenting the lack of instructions on the lego vehicles. I think they exclude them to force you to make the toy in game, not just to save money, but because the toy tags for the vehicles are blank, and need to be written by the device to the tag. Main characters and level packs are the only ones locked to the tag.  

Any CAGcast listeners who want to try out a free week of Hello Fresh (and let us know how it goes), just shoot me a PM or email at cheapyd/gmail. Quantity limited!

With that said. . . I feel like a lot of the re-created dialog is bad. It often is riddled with cliches that no one would ever say and would be featured on a shitty Aaron Sorkin show.
Don't worry about that, it's going to be a shitty Seth Rogen movie instead.

Actually the dialogue didn't bug me that much, I was so entertained by the book itself I was able to let it slide.

Dear CAGcast,

I am someone who takes my dog for a walk and never cleans up its poop. I've never really seen it as a big deal; I had always heard that it helps with grass growth. Whether that's true or not, dog poop protocol isn't a subject talked about often, so I've had no reason to think about it. However, Cheapy's steaming hot fury about the (fecal) matter got me to reconsider. I have decided nobody likes poop on their lawn, so I'll be doing cleaning duty/doodie henceforth.

Thank you for your continued scatological insights. Until next time, I bidet you farewell.

I also found this product, which I find hilarious.

If anyone else is liking Console Wars, there are some other books that I would also recommend:

The Ultimate History of Videogames by Steven Kent
Service Games by Sam Pettus

There is a good deal of overlap, which highlights some differences in the way incidents are portrayed. I listened to all 3 on audiobook and enjoyed each.

If anyone is interested, I found this movie spoiler site a while back I feel like it has saved me the pain, time, and of course money of seeing some crappy movies. It tells you everything that someone has submitted and with certain movies there is "cut to the chase" portion if you don't want to read the whole movie. I don't think will get in trouble for this, the site is themoviespoiler.com.

Luckily our neighborhood is pretty good about picking up, for the most part anyway... at least in peoples yards, common grounds can still be annoying. But no, dog poop is not good for grass. While not in high as high in nitrogen as urine it's still has high levels of nitrogen and will change the acidity of the grass.

Also it takes a long time to break down and kills the grass underneath it and then it piles up, increases your chances for stepping in shit, people don't want to step in shit. Sanitary, it also breeds bad bacteria. The myth that it's good for grass comes from manure but that poop is from cows or horses which are vegetarians, dogs are not, in fact most dog foods now pride themselves as having meat as the first ingredient. Gone are the days of heavily grain fed dogs. And again, no one likes to step in shit, do you really need another reason than that??? =P~

Dear CAGcast,

I am someone who takes my dog for a walk and never cleans up its poop. I've never really seen it as a big deal; I had always heard that it helps with grass growth. Whether that's true or not, dog poop protocol isn't a subject talked about often, so I've had no reason to think about it. However, Cheapy's steaming hot fury about the (fecal) matter got me to reconsider. I have decided nobody likes poop on their lawn, so I'll be doing cleaning duty/doodie henceforth.

Thank you for your continued scatological insights. Until next time, I bidet you farewell.

I also found this product, which I find hilarious.

I enjoyed the Big Mac sauce story, Wombat.  Thank you for filling my life with entertainment.

Ship, the Garth Twitter campaign is hilarious.  Loved your witty comments.  Also I'm going to buy a set for the wife when it reaches at least 70% at my location, 118 copies :bouncy:  

Picking up on the Carmack story, Masters of DOOM was also a great read for anyone that was an iD fan in the 90's. Carmack is a genius, rocket scientist or somwthing if I remember? Also the claim he had to Google how to erase a hard drive sounds light on detail. I'd bet he was searching how to erase a hard drive without it being recoverable, since erasing things on a drive really doesn't do much. It's relatively easy for people to recover it. Simply smashing it to bits might also look suspicious...

This was very much the quintessential episode since it involved more than one joke to be explained to Cheapy!

Love the show, guys! Thanks for the weekly entertainment and talk about lots of stuff I love!

OK, so as a dog owner I have to say I have gotten caught without a bag.  One of my dogs has a terrible habit of taking two steaming craps on a walk every so often.  It is very random happens every few months.  So there are times where my dog drops a load and I do not have a bag.  Now I will say that I always come back and pick it up, but if Cheapy was looking out the window he may see me and my 100 lb German Sheppard crack an oily mud chicken in someone’s yard and not pick it up.  Wombat you use special bags?  I use old plastic shopping bags.

As for audio books 21 hours is nothing.  Some of the Game of Thrones books are 33 and 47 hours long.

Cheapy is wrong about Hitman: you can play the missions in any order. There are story cutscenes after you complete each level, but they're like a minute long each and aren't very important to the enjoyment of the game. (It's Hitman; the story is not the selling point of the series. "Kill that dude" is about all you need to know.) They are skippable, so you could skip them and then go back afterwards and watch them in order (without having to replay the level) if you wanted to. There is barely any narrative within the levels that you would miss by playing them "out of order." The only thing you slightly miss out on is in the fifth mission (Colorado), since they reference the other targets you've been killing throughout the game. And then the sixth mission, Hokkaido, is kind of a follow-up to that bit. But it really isn't that big of a deal.

This is more my opinion, but I also think Cheapy is wrong about the earlier levels being weaker. Paris, the first mission, is one of the strongest ones. From what I've seen, that is what the general consensus is, and not what he was saying. I think he should give it another shot. But if he ends up still not liking it, then the game is probably just not for him.

bread's done
Back