CAGcast #486: A Poop Lesson Learned

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang discusses E3 open to the public, various dashboard updates and probably other things that sound more interesting than dashboard updates, such as poop!

Download (1 hours 19 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS - YouTube

Use code CAG at checkout to claim your Free Trial Set and Free post shave balm.

http://www.harrys.com

Judge the quality of Harry's products for yourself!

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro - Dillon Francis - Hava Nagila (Remix)
Outro - Circle of Life Parody
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.
I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Wombat, and I respect his right to be completely wrong about the intro music to each episode.

It is usually rad. Keep it up, Cheapy.

Only the first 1000 people pay $150. the 14k others pay $250. It's kind of funny about E3. A lot of publishers like Activision, Bandai Namco, etc had really big booths at PAX West while they just had a meeting room at E3. Also a lot of companies that don't set foot in E3 are there. Showing Brick & Mortar retailers and their employees doesn't really matter when your game is digital only I guess.

Also Cheapy might want to get that Snipper Clips game, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or Has Been Heroes when done with Zelda. Think they come out close after release.

Happy birthday Ship!

Cheapy singing Gamestop Circle of Life is sheer internet goodness.  I am pretty sure we have been ruined for all future episodes!

Happy birthday to Shipwreck!

On the matter of dog poop. Canine scat can be used as fertilizer. However, you can't simply say that dog-poop left on the lawn IS fertilizer. When you leave it on top of grass, it prevents the grass from receiving sunlight, and by the time that the grass actually sees any benefit from the poop, it is already withered and dead.

Basically, fertilizer is useless when it is above the ground. If you wanted to use dog-poop for such purposes, you would have to dig a hole, churn the dog poop in with the dirt, and then replace the sod on top of it. If you leave the dog-poop on top of the grass, it only serves as a stinky nuisance.

As to the subject of the Nintendo Super-Bowl ad, I'm thinking that Nintendo is focusing on a particular demographic for the system's launch. I think they are really looking to push the Switch early on towards people in their mid 20s to early 30s. On the one hand, I can understand why they'd think this is a good idea. That entire demographic has been making a hard push toward adopting more minimal lifestyles. A console like the Switch is actually an easy sell. It's portable, it's small, and it comes with everything you need to get started, even for basic multiplayer. It's a convenient way to have portable and console gaming in the same package, and is a tasteful alternative to the monolithic boxes that usually squat beneath a TV. Starting the commercial out with the young man rolling out of bed with his Switch is a good way to showcase how the device can be played anywhere. Having him playing it on the toliet would have been more true-to-life, but they probably didn't want to draw attention to that use-case.

It's difficult to predict if Nintendo will have any success with this approach. That demographic represents a considerable amount of potential, but they are also notoriously fickle. If they can actually get a decent chunk of sales from them, it could mean very good things for the Switch. That age group would serve as excellent word-of-mouth evangelists for the Switch. Many of them are taste-makers, and many more are young parents. Successfully persuading them would translate into quite a bit of reach.

I do agree that focusing solely on Zelda is a bit of a head-scratcher. Yes, it's one of Nintendo's die-hard critical darling franchises. And yes, it's the big arrow they have in an admittadly light launch quiver. But I can't say with any certainty how well that game will speak to the demographic they're trying to reach. Many of these consumers were brought up after the PlayStation brand had ascended. Nintendo series like Zelda aren't going to have the same nostalgic pull for them. And while Breath of the Wild has previewed fairly well, it is still a stylish game that does not have the spectacle factor of titles like Call of Duty. (which has always sold itself with explosions and escalating spectacle)

I thought curbing your dog was a pretty common law...

Excellent intro music and that circle of life parody was awesome Cheapy :)

Now that Cheapy has the PS4 Pro, it seems like he is getting every new release for PS4. What happened to PC PC PC? :)

I think Mass Effect Andromeda may look very beautiful on PC!

I've been listening to this podcast since the very episode, but never felt compelled to post in one of these threads until now.

I just have to say that Circle of Life parody was both a work of art and concerning. Cheapy is going off the deep end. -princeyp

I like Wombat's idea of E3 and think I will take the press conference day off work this year to watch it at home. It seems more fun than just reading it afterwards.

I think E3 Tickets might be worth it if we could somehow fill all the empty booth space with ping pong tables and have a giant ping pong tournament going on during the show. That could justify the price.

Usually don't comment. But the end of the episode was epic! Standing ovation CheapyD! Hilarious! The circle of life....lol

via Kotaku today: "Valve is Making Three Full VR Games"

Can't wait to hear the logical gymnastics you guys go through next week to explain this...after explicitly saying multiple times that "NO AAA DEVELOPER IS GOING TO MAKE A FULL VR GAME!"

Or, you'll just avoid it altogether like the miserable performance of Super Mario Run.

Valve is for all purposes a platform owner. That's much different than third parties putting money down to develop for VR rather than develop a standard game.

I love how Cheapy initially considered the PS4 Pro unnecessary and yet it was become his console of choice for multi-platform games. When are you gonna invite Wombat over and convert him to the brotherhood of PS4 Pro owners?

Shipwreck too, you gotta get in on this...Once you go pro, its hard to go back.

I love how Cheapy initially considered the PS4 Pro unnecessary and yet it was become his console of choice for multi-platform games. When are you gonna invite Wombat over and convert him to the brotherhood of PS4 Pro owners?

My whole setup is with a 1080P projector. There was not much benefit to upgrading before this boost news.

Regarding that outro song..."Gamestop's Circle of Life":

Comedy can be inspirational and great...and that makes it funny. Comedy can also be so bad that it too is funny. Somehow Cheapy was able to do both at the same time. Bravo Cheapy, I laughed at first, then felt really bad for laughing and then uncontrollably laughed by the end. 

Valve is for all purposes a platform owner. That's much different than third parties putting money down to develop for VR rather than develop a standard game.
Yup, that's the logical gymnastics I was expecting. I don't recall you saying this when you were trashing VR.

Why would I specifically mention Valve in previous conversations about VR? I think we've been spot on with our VR predictions.

My whole setup is with a 1080P projector. There was not much benefit to upgrading before this boost news.
The boost mode is running games at better frame rates in 1080p, which was already happening in Pro patched games like Rise of the Tomb raider and FFXV and The Last of Us and The Last Guardian. But there's no IQ improvements from downsampling in boost mode.

Is the Pro really worth it? I saw this ad on Craigslist and I'm considering getting it.

Yup, that's the logical gymnastics I was expecting. I don't recall you saying this when you were trashing VR.
Valve is willing to risk only selling 500,000 copies of 3 VR games for a huge loss if it means potentially boosting the life of VR that they have invested in. For them it is an investment in the VR headset more than the software itself.

Saying that Valve potentially making 3 VR games means that VR is now a huge success is like saying Nintendo potentially making 3 more Switch games means that the Switch is now a huge success. For those systems to have made it, you need to see EA, Ubisoft, Activision and other major publishers looking at the system and saying "We need to be on that system, it is the future of gaming." When companies that don't have a vested interest in the hardware start developing software specifically for that system, then you know its a huge success.

E3 has always been an industry trade show.  I don't believe that they should allow in the general public.  The public will just be interfering with journalists doing their jobs.  If the public wants to be a part of something like that, PAX is the answer.

The firearms industry has a yearly trade show and it's relatively easy for any Tom, Dick, and Harry to create a Youtube channel and apply as media.  It really causes problems with over crowding and really takes away from people that are there for legitimate reasons.

In "Watch this..." news, I would be very interested in what Cheapy, Shipwreck and Wombat think of "Lego Batman."

Personally, I liked it. The 80's references were great. There were some nice digs at the DC universe and some obscure references for fans of Batman comics, TV and movies.

So if you have a 4K you think it is worth it? What if your 4K TV does not support HDR?
Get it anyway. HDR isn't a widely supported feature and its a bit overrated if you ask me. I got a samsung 55" KS8000. The resulution boost you get on pro enhanced games is significant. It's like comparative to playing games on a high end PC, the image is sharper and cleaner. If you have a 4k tv with smart apps, go to the youtube app and look up some of the 4k videos digital foundry has. I think that would give you a good idea of what those ps4 pro patched games will look like on your tv.

ares04, Thanks!  I have been holding off.  The main thing that has been holding me back is to see what level of commitment Sony has to this.  I have a PSP, Vita, and a Vita TV all sitting around collecting dust because Sony releases tons of ideas but really only follows through on very few.  The last thing is I am wondering how long it will be before Sony has the PS4ProSlim or even a PS4Proplus or whatever the next rev will be.  I am kind of hoping the next revision of their console will include a 4K BluRay player in it.

If you have or plan on getting a 4k tv, then I'd say yes.
I do have a 4k tv but I wasn't sure if I should get that or a GTX 1070. I ended up getting a Pro though a local pawn shop had it brand new for $300. They have a few more if anyone else is interested in one and live in Baltimore.

bread's done
Back