Is it possable to buy rental games from Hollywood Video?

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I was wondering if a game is not in the sale bin at Hollywood Video but is for rental, is it possible to buy the rental game? I was wondering this since I was super freaked out to see my Holywood Video has 4 copies of Rez!!!! one is still in its original casing too! gahh!!! i crapped my pants like a little girl in a pageant! (actually i didn't but it sure felt like I did)

If that were possible, I would have .hack part 4 right now. My local Blockbuster is sitting on FOUR SHAQ-FUING COPIES of this game, but no Rez though.

[quote name='Scorch']...ask the employees?[/QUOTE]

I think I'm genna give them a call on monday jto see if I can bribe it off them. Heck, if all the Rezs/Rezes go fro $40 each, I'll still buy them... but they'll soon be on ebay after that (except 1)!

Good luck with that. If you do manage to snag a copy of Rez, there may be hope for me in regards to Quarantine. Never been to the Hollywood/Game Crazy in my area though...

[quote name='Sailorneorune']If that were possible, I would have .hack part 4 right now. My local Blockbuster is sitting on FOUR SHAQ-FUING COPIES of this game, but no Rez though.[/QUOTE]

i fell dumb saying this, but .... ask the employees... or call em... (i feel like i am answering my own question...)

[quote name='Sailorneorune']Good luck with that. If you do manage to snag a copy of Rez, there may be hope for me in regards to Quarantine. Never been to the Hollywood/Game Crazy in my area though...[/QUOTE]

do yourself a favor and go out there.

I used to work for Gamecrazy, and helped out from time to time over on the Hollywood side (we were ALWAYS dead). They can turn any rental into a Previously Viewed item, but they may need a manager to approve it. Good luck!

The Hollywood closest to me has 4 copies of Rez, too. My guess is they haven't been rented in a long time. Next time I go to Gamecrazy, I am going to ask. Seriously, why would you need 4 copies of a game like Rez for rentals?

[quote name='Sailorneorune']If that were possible, I would have .hack part 4 right now. My local Blockbuster is sitting on FOUR SHAQ-FUING COPIES of this game, but no Rez though.[/QUOTE]

Is it rare or something?

[quote name='secretvampire']Hahahah...I'll buy any copies you have for $20. They go for more like $50-60 on Ebay used...[/QUOTE]

really? *looks at sealed copy* so this is worth something?

Rez is rare, Quarantine is not. The only reason I'm being such a cheap ass is because I've beaten this game already, having rented it. Trying to complete the .hack collection.

I wish Rolento all the best in his quest for an inexpensive Rez, however.

Too bad though those rental copies of Rez will have disc shield stickers on them...ugly. But hopefully you'll atleast get the opportunity to buy them.

Seriously, listen to this advice! If you want a favor from ANY retail store...DO NOT CALL TO ASK! Go in, act like a normal human being, and ask. Those stores get a hundred calls a day for all sorts of stuff and if you call I can almost guarantee you'll get quoted policy. But, if you just go in, bring the game to the counter and ask, "Hey, I’ve been looking for this game for a while, any chance I can buy it?" You'll at least get a decent shot at it. Just my two cents...

I did this same thing to get Jedi Outcast for the Gamecube recently.

Some time last year: On a whim I asked a manager if there were any rental games that he was looking to sell. "Oh boy we're so overstocked. Find anything you like and I'll sell it to you with the B2G1 deal." Didn't find much but got the information.

So know whenever I go into a rental store and see a hot hot game I asked if there's a way to buy. Last time at Blockbuster I asked if there was a way to buy Jedi Outcast. She said, "Not really, unless you rent it and never return it." "How much would I be charged?" *beep*beep*boop* "$25" Got two of them. Sold the first for $50 just today. Ask to take the packaging on the shelf too and explain what's going on. Mine look quite nice with no ugly stickers and one still has the instruction booklet.

[quote name='ogreeley']Seriously, listen to this advice! If you want a favor from ANY retail store...DO NOT CALL TO ASK! Go in, act like a normal human being, and ask. Those stores get a hundred calls a day for all sorts of stuff and if you call I can almost guarantee you'll get quoted policy. But, if you just go in, bring the game to the counter and ask, "Hey, I’ve been looking for this game for a while, any chance I can buy it?" You'll at least get a decent shot at it. Just my two cents...[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to try it from this angle... since I live far enough to just bike. I need excercise so this is a good enough excuse.

i dont know if its been posted but if you rent it, go there a 3 - 4 days later, tell them you lost it and they will charge you the cost of it which is a whopping 30 bucks, i did this 6 months ago when i gave up on finding it. i got mine from there complete too. its a nice find. go for it if you want it..cheaper than ebay

How would you get a complete copy, don't they give you games in their special box w/o a manual? So you'd probably get disc only copies...

The renting it and saying you lost is the easiest way but it might look weird for you to rent 4 copies of a game and losing all of them.

And .hack games aren't rare... the 3rd and 4th copy maybe be harder to find than the others but there are copies out there.

I don't plan on losing them... I just want to see if I can convince the manager to let me buy the games just by explaining my situation on how damn hard i have been looking to buy the game... also, it should be complete mainly due to the fact that the original case is still on the shelf... don't know if manual is in there though.

It won't work dude. I went through the same thing trying to buy REZ, they too had 4 copies and the display box (which was perfect). They told me they can't sell rentals and to check back often to see if it goes up for sale. I did, after 3 weeks, they sent two of the copies to Gamecrazy in the mall. I went and bought 1 of them. I needed the original box though not the crappy Hollywood video box, so after I bought it from GC, I went across the way to Hollywood Video, grabbed the display box, went up and asked the girl if I could switch out cases, after I showed her my purchase from GC, she said okay after a bit of hesitation, I asked for the instructions and she threw them in the box as well.

Moral of the story, they won't sell you rental copies. I tried every angle, and they said there was no way due to their inventory/computer or some such. Good luck though.

just take the box, rent it, take the box with you, opps, didnt mean to do that ( yea rite ) and just say u lost it..its not that hard

I was able to get a complete copy of Suikoden 2 from a local mom and pop store for $20 once. I just asked if he'd sell it. At first he said no, then I offered him the $20, and he brightened up. The damn fool thought he was ripping me off big time.

would it sell if it was disc only? i''m going to keep an eye out for it.

rent it, after 5 days say you lost it. the other day i saw a sign for 4 (9.99 games) for 20 dollars. the only thing i don't like when buying used games from there is i don't get the original dvd cover and i might not get the booklet. if i buy a game and ask for the original game cover and the instructions will they give it to me if they have it?

bread's done
Back