CAGcast #487: JewDieWhy?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks E3, Zelda, Sniper Elite 4, Gaben on VR, PewDiePie, Skylanders Imaginators, Maseratis, Dan Stevens, Smart Garages and so much more! Gaben can do ANYTHING!

Download (1 hours 19 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS - YouTube

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro - Freischwimmer – California Dreamin (KhoMha Remix)
Outro - Scene from Robocop 2

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.
I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you guys are missing a lot of context on the PewDiePie story.

Journalists taking videos and jokes out of context is the bigger problem, just proves that they don't watch the videos. It makes it seem like they write a story based on one screen shot.

And why are people just focusing on the jew jokes and not the murder or rape jokes?

Censoring comedy is not the right answer.

PewDiePie's parents are very very rich so Cheapy's whole story about child stars, etc is kind of moot. I don't think he would of had a hard working minimum wage job where he'd learn to be grateful when he/if got lucky from youtube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PewDiePie

While I'm sure they made a great living, Swedish executives likely don't receive the ridiculous compensation package that execs receive in the USA.  Also, there is a big difference growing up in a well to do family, and growing up a (self-made) star in the public eye.

I think I heard a fart on this CAGCast while I am publishing the videos for the YouTube channel (cheap plug!).

Right before CheapyD announces the New Releases section, there is a... sound. I am not sure if it is Wombat's breath, but there is definitely a noise.

Regarding the PewDiePie debacle, I agree with Shipwreck that He knows that he is being offensive and that he's trying to do it in a joking fashion but I think something else may be at play.

Look at this screenshot for one of polygon's articles:

Screenshot_2017_02_13_20.16.28.png

He's wearing a 'make america great again" hat while watching Hitler...and has this slight smirk on his face lol...if this isn't trolling I don't know what is.

My other theory is that he purposely did this to get outta his contract with Makers Studio. With his massive audience, he could easily sign with a rival multi-channel network or create his own and get even more money. Also its hard to reprimand a star with that big of a reach. Of course if he was black, this would be an entirely different conversation. 

This is the first podcast that I have heard any mention about the game For Honor.

It has been 2 days since the games release and there are only 2 "critic reviews" on Metacritic. Do you think the lack of reviews is direct blowback from review sites to Ubisoft's stance of not sending out review copies?

Its sucks the pewdiepie talk is fairly misinformed and just assuming his maturity. You should atleast watch his response cheapy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwk1DogcPmU

PewDiePie's parents are very very rich so Cheapy's whole story about child stars, etc is kind of moot. I don't think he would of had a hard working minimum wage job where he'd learn to be grateful when he/if got lucky from youtube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PewDiePie
He was a hot dog vendor before this.

EDIT: And if anyone ever watched the My Response video he posted yesterday it becomes very clear the primary video in question was never meant to be his public way getting out of a contract. Nevermind the fact that it was also over a month old before Disney, Maker, etc. cut ties. PewDiePie certainly didn't call up Wall Street Journal asking for them to make a big deal over 9 jokes in 6 years.

Pewpewdie talk makes me feel old. lol.

He's just doing shock comedy.  BAck in the day it was STern as the most famous example.  Tom Green on MTV.   More recently Jackass qualifies.   etc etc People that did outrageous things to get a rise one way or another out of everyone.  

Once again, Wombat is the voice of reason. CheapyD is defending the guy way too much. You have a secret lotto site together or something?

Cheapy been crusading against Trump but even the ole pussy grabber knows better than to make a death to the jews jokes and I'm pretty sure that dude has lived in a bigger more fancy golden ecochamber for a lot longer than ole Pewdiepie. You should be crusading against Pewdie just as much, unless you are a self hating Jew.

What the dude did was stupid, indefensible. He should be made an example of to show no matter how big and successful you are, this shit is not okay. Joke or not. Does not matter. Teach the younger generation this message early and maybe it will prevent at least one person from being a stupid idiot later. Don't baby this guy and make it look like people are out to get him just because he's famous, rich, or popular. Don't call this a mistake, an accident. This was his logical thinking process, he's a warped individual. Plus his audience is very impressionable. He's got a big defense force. If you baby him, you tell the world you support this behavior... the more people that support that, just strengthens his base and defense force...which in turn teaches them this behavior is alright... all this makes you part of the god damn problem long term, not the solution.

You guys rock, thanks for reading my comment.

I am just as confused as everyone else why Cheapy would buy a 500 dollar VR headset then put it in permanent storage, but let me say this: I just played through all of Resident Evil in VR and it was one of the most amazing gaming experiences of my life. If anyone is considering it and has the cash to spare, it's a strong recommend.

I am just as confused as everyone else why Cheapy would buy a 500 dollar VR headset then put it in permanent storage, but let me say this: I just played through all of Resident Evil in VR and it was one of the most amazing gaming experiences of my life. If anyone is considering it and has the cash to spare, it's a strong recommend.
CheapyD is a part of the 1%. That is why he defends PewDiePie and why he tosses money at things he doesn't use. Money nor the object that come from it mean anything to him. It is about status and celebrity. Must be nice to spend $500 to talk about something for one week and then never again because it is too much hassle to hook it up again. One day the maid will figure out how to hook it up and we will get content once again.

Because if your job is owning CAG anything video game related is a business expense. He can just write it off. It's like paying rent on an office or having a phone owned by the company.

I'm not sure if the podcast was recorded before or after PewDiePie's response video, but it was strange hearing CheapyD go through such lengths to defend him. While people of any age can and will make mistakes, a YouTuber a few years shy of 30 should have the maturity and perspective to know how his jokes would come across, regardless of how he wants to spin a few of those instances. As someone with millions of subscribers, like it or not, he wields a lot of power especially among many of his significantly younger viewers. It's misguided to excuse his actions by referencing either his age or his status as a popular YouTube star. There are dozens of celebrities much younger than him who have avoided making such boneheaded choices with their respective platforms. Also unlike PewDiePie, they've managed to avoid making 12-minute long faux apology videos where they act like martyrs, tragically mis-understood and unfairly targeted by the "mainstream media."

Definitely with Wombat on this one. If someone is 27 years old and still making dumb jokes like these, that's just who the person is at this point. There's no more maturing left for them to do. Call a spade a spade. 

Hey Cheapy, since you mentioned liking an h3h3productions video, did you see that channel's take on the PewDiePie scandal? Having a discussion on whether or not the jokes were appropriate is one thing, but the way the news articles removed all context bugs me more. You guys didn't even touch on that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNSiFrS3n4

Great show, enjoyed the different takes on PDP, Cheapy's note about his young age and the echo-chamber effect is spot-on. Play any competitive online game with voice chat and it's not long before you hear the n word, homophobic slurs or "retarded", I am not surprised that someone like PDP who achieved fame and success in that culture has trouble discerning the difference between a good joke and bad joke.

Few thoughts on the Zelda DLC, I really think $20 is for the new store but it's difficult to get your consumers to pay $20 in March for something that they won't receive until the holidays. But $20 for some "exclusive" items in March, new modes in the Summer, and a new story in the holidays? It's a more attractive package, you can call it a "Season Pass". Cave of Trials and Hard Mode mode have always been free in past game, it probably wasn't ready for launch so they decided to package it into this "Season Pass". BTW Wombat, it doesn't make it right but other games have done hard mode as DLC (Last of Us, Metro Last Light and RE7)

What the dude did was stupid, indefensible. He should be made an example of to show no matter how big and successful you are, this shit is not okay. Joke or not. Does not matter. Teach the younger generation this message early and maybe it will prevent at least one person from being a stupid idiot later. Don't baby this guy and make it look like people are out to get him just because he's famous, rich, or popular. Don't call this a mistake, an accident. This was his logical thinking process, he's a warped individual. Plus his audience is very impressionable. He's got a big defense force. If you baby him, you tell the world you support this behavior... the more people that support that, just strengthens his base and defense force...which in turn teaches them this behavior is alright... all this makes you part of the god damn problem long term, not the solution.
How was he "baby'd" he lost out on 3 deals that is affecting his bottom line and is getting plenty of bad press out of it. I don't even like PDP but I am not clear on what else you want.

Jokes are still jokes and context is extremely important. Jokes do not make you a bigot especially when those jokes aren't even about the group mentioned. If the joke is about taking things out of context, the subject is taking things out of context. It didn't matter what that thing is. If the point is "look how absurd this thing is, you can do this" that doesn't mean you support it. That's pointing it out. When he wears a Make America Great Again and watches a Hitler video as a sarcastic jump cut, that's not support of Hitler, it's a mild jab at Trump supporters or the portrayal of Trump supporters. That does not mean that it is in support of Hitler. I mean honestly, how dumb do you have to be to believe that he supports Hitler or anti-semitism based on 9 jokes over the course of 6 years?

And also he's taking blame for watching a 'Jesus says whatever for $5' and someone else paid 'Jesus' to say 'Hitler had some good ideas' and was subsequently shocked. Apparently if you're witness to something that makes you guilty of it? News to me. Which btw, is more offensive to Christians than it is to Jews. Portrayal of Jesus as a Nazi-lover is more offensive than saying Hitler had some good ideas, but nobody cares about that...

It seems there are Essjay-Dubbers here so I'm not going to bother trying to reason with them. They haven't watched any of the videos. They don't care about the facts or what actually happened. They just want blood.

I'm not sure if the podcast was recorded before or after PewDiePie's response video, but it was strange hearing CheapyD go through such lengths to defend him. While people of any age can and will make mistakes, a YouTuber a few years shy of 30 should have the maturity and perspective to know how his jokes would come across, regardless of how he wants to spin a few of those instances. As someone with millions of subscribers, like it or not, he wields a lot of power especially among many of his significantly younger viewers. It's misguided to excuse his actions by referencing either his age or his status as a popular YouTube star. There are dozens of celebrities much younger than him who have avoided making such boneheaded choices with their respective platforms. Also unlike PewDiePie, they've managed to avoid making 12-minute long faux apology videos where they act like martyrs, tragically mis-understood and unfairly targeted by the "mainstream media."

Definitely with Wombat on this one. If someone is 27 years old and still making dumb jokes like these, that's just who the person is at this point. There's no more maturing left for them to do. Call a spade a spade.
Oh the hypocrisy. Congrats, racist. Now you're just as bad as PewDiePie. A spade is a racial slur against Blacks/African Americans. You're not supposed to say "call a spade a spade" for the past 90 years because it now references a racial slur. Oh, but you didn't mean it like that? Do you feel unfair that what you said is taken out of context? Too bad. If you're <however old you are> and still using racist slants like that, you're just a racist.

Now, I'm reasonable enough to understand the difference that you didn't mean it like that and that context does matter. Would you like to join me?

Jokes are still jokes

Oh the hypocrisy. Congrats, racist. Now you're just as bad as PewDiePie. A spade is a racial slur against Blacks/African Americans. You're not supposed to say "call a spade a spade" for the past 90 years because it now references a racial slur. Oh, but you didn't mean it like that? Do you feel unfair that what you said is taken out of context? Too bad. If you're <however old you are> and still using racist slants like that, you're just a racist.

Now, I'm reasonable enough to understand the difference that you didn't mean it like that and that context does matter. Would you like to join me?
If the phrase, "Call a spade a spade" has any racial connotation then it's history must be very esoteric because I've never heard of that… But paying people five dollars to hold up a sign saying "death to all Jews" is about as on the nose as you can get as far as what most people would consider racist...

how else is mainstream media supposed to interpret a video with middle eastern guys holding a sign that says death to all Jews?

If that was a joke, it was ill-conceived at best... this dude has complete authority over the final publishing of his videos so I don't see how he couldn't see that that video was inappropriate. As wombat has said in the podcast, "this dude is not a child" he's 27 or a grown ass man as I would say. He should know right from wrong.

I'm going to avoid the Pewdiepie talks and remind everyone that CheapyD has added John Wick 2 to the list of things that bore him. Now I wonder if he'd rather watch the movie again or go to Hawaii. But hopefully John Wick 3 will have a scene that makes Cheapy cry so he can appreciate it more.

If the phrase, "Call a spade a spade" has any racial connotation then it's history must be very esoteric because I've never heard of that… But paying people five dollars to hold up a sign saying "death to all Jews" is about as on the nose as you can get as far as what most people would consider racist...

how else is mainstream media supposed to interpret a video with middle eastern guys holding a sign that says death to all Jews?

If that was a joke, it was ill-conceived at best... this dude has complete authority over the final publishing of his videos so I don't see how he couldn't see that that video was inappropriate. As wombat has said in the podcast, "this dude is not a child" he's 27 or a grown ass man as I would say. He should know right from wrong.
Esoteric only to those who don't know the meanings of the terms they use. If you don't believe me you can look it up.

Yes, it was somewhat an ill-conceived joke to pretend that Keemstar would use a Nazi mantra to get users to subscribe to his channel. If you watched the video, you'd know he never thought they would do it as all his other bids were rejected. That does not make the people involved anti-semites, nor does it make it a rallying cry for Nazis. That's stupid.

I can't force you to think for yourself and actually look for the facts independently the next time you read the news, but I still implore you to do so.

There's also someone just two posts up named 911didbush yet this doesn't offend you? Whatever moral code you have for jokes is clearly arbitrary.

Esoteric only to those who don't know the meanings of the terms they use. If you don't believe me you can look it up.
Nor quite, skippy. There is nothing originally racist about the expression "Calling a spade a spade". It was only this century that the word 'spade' (not the saying) began to have racist overtones which affected the use of the phrase. Regardless it's false equivalence to pretend its the same thing as PDP using the language he used.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

"Historians trace the origins of the expression to the Greek phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough......Erasmus, the renowned humanist and classical scholar, translated the phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough" from Greek to Latin. And in so doing he dramatically changed the phrase to "call a spade a spade."..."To call a spade a spade" entered the English language when Nicholas Udall translated Erasmus in 1542. Famous authors who have used it in their works include Charles Dickens and W. Somerset Maugham, among others"

trip1eX, on 17 Feb 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Pewpewdie talk makes me feel old. lol.

He's just doing shock comedy. BAck in the day it was STern as the most famous example. Tom Green on MTV. More recently Jackass qualifies. etc etc People that did outrageous things to get a rise one way or another out of everyone.
This is actually the best comment about it. Additionally, the reality is that kids today are so far from the horrors of the past they often marginalize what happened out of sheer ignorance. It's unlikely that PDP has ever encountered a Holocaust survivor (given his age). To him and many young people (yes I'm old). "Nazis/ Death" to Jews is just another meme. Sad but true. PDP is in Europe, he has a great opportunity to educate himself.

I think I heard a fart on this CAGCast while I am publishing the videos for the YouTube channel (cheap plug!).

Right before CheapyD announces the New Releases section, there is a... sound. I am not sure if it is Wombat's breath, but there is definitely a noise.
If true, this could be a serious violation of the CheapyD Promise!

Nor quite, skippy. There is nothing originally racist about the expression "Calling a spade a spade". It was only this century that the word 'spade' (not the saying) began to have racist overtones which affected the use of the phrase. Regardless it's false equivalence to pretend its the same thing as PDP using the language he used.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

"Historians trace the origins of the expression to the Greek phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough......Erasmus, the renowned humanist and classical scholar, translated the phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough" from Greek to Latin. And in so doing he dramatically changed the phrase to "call a spade a spade."..."To call a spade a spade" entered the English language when Nicholas Udall translated Erasmus in 1542. Famous authors who have used it in their works include Charles Dickens and W. Somerset Maugham, among others"

trip1eX, on 17 Feb 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

This is actually the best comment about it. Additionally, the reality is that kids today are so far from the horrors of the past they often marginalize what happened out of sheer ignorance. It's unlikely that PDP has ever encountered a Holocaust survivor (given his age). To him and many young people (yes I'm old). "Nazis/ Death" to Jews is just another meme. Sad but true. PDP is in Europe, he has a great opportunity to educate himself.
Actually Skippy, I'm still exactly right. The word didn't originally have that connotation but did eventually garner that connotation.

The phrase predates the use of the word "spade" as an ethnic slur against African Americans,[9] which was not recorded until 1928; however, in contemporary U.S. society, the idiom is often avoided due to potential confusion with the slur.[16]

-Wikipedia.
This is exactly what I've been talking about when things get taken out of context. If I were the WSJ right now and badgered your boss about your use of a racial slur, you would be screwed and fired from your job if they were a large entity. That's exactly my point.

CheapyD is a part of the 1%. That is why he defends PewDiePie and why he tosses money at things he doesn't use. Money nor the object that come from it mean anything to him. It is about status and celebrity. Must be nice to spend $500 to talk about something for one week and then never again because it is too much hassle to hook it up again. One day the maid will figure out how to hook it up and we will get content once again.
Congratulations on one of the most idiotic comments every posted to show feedback. You are the 1%!

Just wanted to call out Mr Stuart for that comment, "joke" or whatever you want to call it.  Sounds like he is convinced a Doctor would gladly become a maid just for the privilege of living in the US. Not sure what you would call that kind of comment but racist comes to mind. Condescending maybe?

He not only said it and realizing he it was bad tried to make Cheapy say something similar to share the blame. Fortunately Cheapy knows better.

On top of all he did it on a show where they were discussing racist jokes made by an internet celebrity. Sad.

bread's done
Back