* * * * * 1 votes

Toys"R"Us TRU YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I

#691 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

I hope you're joking.

Not about it being in the game case for sale at full retail.

You can't pay off debt if you don't have cash flow because your inventory takes years to turn over.

#692 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   972 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

CNN reported TRU might end all of its operation in US as soon as next week.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#693 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   602 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

If you want background.

#694 stevocbk24   CAG Veteran/Winter Soldier CAGiversary!   470 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

In high school I worked at Cub Foods and Blockbuster (both closed). In College I worked at Toys R Us (Closing). If my current job goes under, some form of evil is definitely following me.

stevo%20cbk24.jpg

#695 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:19 PM

CNN reported TRU might end all of its operation in US as soon as next week.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

And still nothing on clearance.

#696 scblueeyedguy   Future Gadget Laboratory Technician CAGiversary!   2739 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

scblueeyedguy

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

In high school I worked at Cub Foods and Blockbuster (both closed). In College I worked at Toys R Us (Closing). If my current job goes under, some form of evil is definitely following me.

Or you're like the thousands of other people who worked for companies that didn't work out. Yeah, I like my idea better.

#697 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9894 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

Has anyone tried to buy a 3rd party gift card like a restaurant gift card and pay with a TRU gift card recently? I know it used to work years ago back when they took game trade ins but haven't tried it in close to 5 years.

#698 stevocbk24   CAG Veteran/Winter Soldier CAGiversary!   470 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

Or you're like the thousands of other people who worked for companies that didn't work out. Yeah, I like my idea better.

Wow! Great insight. I never would’ve comprehended such a novel idea, clearly I believe in voodoo magic and I wasn’t using hyperbole at all. You must be a ton of fun at parties.

stevo%20cbk24.jpg

#699 ElvisTheGreat   Daddy CAGiversary!   557 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

ElvisTheGreat

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

YMMV... my Toys R Us had Chibi Robo Zip Lash game and amiibo under clearance for $8.98. Got an extra 25% off. Paid $7.19 total

#700 YoshiFan1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9894 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:42 AM

It looks like buying a 3rd party gift card with a TRU gift card is ymmv. The cashier said it would work but a message on their screen stated it isnt allowed when he tried it. A manager at the other register at the counter did something to override the register and allow it to work. I never saw TRU so crowded other than in November and December. I guess everyone wanted to get rid of their reward certificates and gift cards.

#701 Kotor15   Okay kiddos, prepare to be schooled CAGiversary!   2947 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:53 AM

It looks like buying a 3rd party gift card with a TRU gift card is ymmv. The cashier said it would work but a message on their screen stated it isnt allowed when he tried it. A manager at the other register at the counter did something to override the register and allow it to work. I never saw TRU so crowded other than in November and December. I guess everyone wanted to get rid of their reward certificates and gift cards.

I mean when your store is closing next week, who cares if you get laid off.

#702 JKSonic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2586 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:35 AM

Sucks they might (are?) shut down ALL stores now, especially since mine was one of the ones staying open.  I have a lot of nostalgia for that place, going as a kid back when you had to take the tickets to the front to buy videogames...but even now having went there with all my kids.  Target and Walmart never have a good variety of stuff so we always love going to see all the "extra" toys at TRU.  Sigh....oh well. 

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#703 trchavez416  

trchavez416

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:01 AM

Sucks they might (are?) shut down ALL stores now, especially since mine was one of the ones staying open. I have a lot of nostalgia for that place, going as a kid back when you had to take the tickets to the front to buy videogames...but even now having went there with all my kids. Target and Walmart never have a good variety of stuff so we always love going to see all the "extra" toys at TRU. Sigh....oh well.

It’s still not 100% decided that TRU is liquidating all of their assets, but the writing is on the wall and it doesn’t look good for them.

#704 darken   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   842 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:13 AM

Could you please do us a favor and pick up a part time job at Walmart?

#705 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   398 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

Or Amazon.

#706 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2807 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:36 AM

After hearing the rumor about the 200 additional stores a couple weeks back I got serious about checking into other jobs. With virtually no time invested I actually got offers from both a local mom-and-pop game store, and a key holder position at Gamestop, just from going in shopping and some employees knowing I work at TRU. I ended up going with the local store so I don't have to deal with that Circle of Life bullshit, I always hated the "metrics" angle of TRU (Credit cards, protection plans, rewards sign ups). I've been at the new place a week and like it a lot so far. Much more consistent with hours since it's only 3 total employees, it's really laid back, and I'm pretty much only dealing with games rather than the jack of trades you become working at a big retail store. I haven't put in my notice yet, but it seems like that could take care of itself.

Looking around online I haven't been able to find much employee discussion. On Reddit a couple people said the day of the Bloomberg article that salaried employees (which would only be store and assistant store managers) were given some kind of warning, though they didn't say what kind or if it was at all stores. The only place I've found with lot of discussion on the subject is actually 4chan's /toy/ board, but it's mostly about how it will affect the toy manufacturers and what poorly performing lines they think have hurt sales lately.

Anyways, I haven't actually heard much of anything personally. I asked around during my one five hour shift for the week (lol) today, but no one there today would really have been in a position to know anything, though a few others including managers have started to look into new jobs as well. One supervisor really thought we'd be getting info tomorrow after the court case thing, but I'm pretty sure she was just guessing. I wasn't seeing much of a rush to use Rewards coupons or gift cards, surprisingly. But there were a LOT more people asking what was going on. One lovely child came in telling us joyfully that all TRUs would be closing on Monday, lol.

I'm hoping for my fellow employees that some good news comes this week, but I'm not really counting on it just from what I've seen looking around online. For this thread's sake, I hope we actually get some good deals if the hammer is coming down, or at least passable ones. I'm not sure what the angle would be if they actually shut down all stores next week instead of starting up going out of business sales. I guess maybe they sell the inventory to a vendor or at some mass auction or something?

SIX+min+WHISTLE.png

#707 darken   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   842 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:44 AM

Six min Whistle, glad that you were able to find a new job right away.  Best of luck to you and your coworkers

#708 ~starlight~   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1080 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

~starlight~

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

glad u were able to find a new job quickly six min whistle :)

I think they have to. What is anyone's reason to go to Toys R Us when everything is higher there?

depends on item availability if Best Buy & Target were oos of the item... TrU price matched Amazon and u got Reward points on purchases. Tho I like Best Buy's Reward points more... but if Target had the item in stock then I'd rather have Target price match Amazon and get the extra 5% Red Card discount. Would be nice if Amazon had a Rewards program of some kind.

#709 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2807 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

In my area, most people seem to put up with the higher prices because we have way more options than the other local places that sell toys. We have the biggest Lego selection for like a hundred miles, and we actually keep more new video games in stock than anywhere except Gamestop. A lot of people simply don't care enough to search around to save a few dollars, at least those that go into a store, I think plenty more people just check online to begin with and never set foot in the store unless they know we have a good price on what they want.

Also, I'd say about a third of customers during non-busy periods are panic buying stuff last minute for a birthday or baby shower that is happening in the next 24 hours. Most of them aren't too picky.

SIX+min+WHISTLE.png

#710 iHack   1337 H4X0R CAGiversary!   775 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:09 PM

I've seen some articles pop up on my Facebook that gift cards are no longer allowed? How true is this? I still have a gift card I'd like to use this week...

Posted Image

#711 rdigit   Banned Banned   655 Posts   Joined 0.9 Years Ago  

rdigit

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

I've seen some articles pop up on my Facebook that gift cards are no longer allowed? How true is this? I still have a gift card I'd like to use this week...

I was at TRU yesterday trying to find a way to cash out gift cards, and I saw a notice to employees that only UK store gift cards stopped working on Monday. The notice looked like it was typed up by a store manager or copied from an email body.

It would make sense that UK and US are being handled differently because they're different companies owned by a parent company, and bankruptcy/receivership laws are different in each country. US bankruptcy code (or at least practice) supports letting the company survive longer, but England can be quite the opposite.

#712 mcdull   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   661 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:59 AM

In my area, most people seem to put up with the higher prices because we have way more options than the other local places that sell toys. We have the biggest Lego selection for like a hundred miles, and we actually keep more new video games in stock than anywhere except Gamestop. A lot of people simply don't care enough to search around to save a few dollars, at least those that go into a store, I think plenty more people just check online to begin with and never set foot in the store unless they know we have a good price on what they want.

Also, I'd say about a third of customers during non-busy periods are panic buying stuff last minute for a birthday or baby shower that is happening in the next 24 hours. Most of them aren't too picky.

I went to a non-closing TRU store with my boy for an Easter event and hopefully going to his first Birthday event if the store is not going down. While waiting for the raffle, I went around and saw a lot of toys that I don't know that exists.

If Toysrus is going to close down all stores, we the customers are the losers indeed.

You think Amazon is going to host events for your kids? yeah, might be in their warehouse at nowhere.

Where else we can see a large collection of toys in person and have hands on them with your kids to try? or you prefer looking at the pictures and watching video online to make the purchase decision?

And do you prefer getting greeting from some online robots rather than real cashiers?

I know Toysrus has higher price or at MSRP for many toys especially video games that most CAG only care about. However, they do pricematch in store so it's actually not an issue. And they actually are having profit each year but just the interest of the debt that's killing it.(unlike Kmart and Sears should have gone down IMO while they haven't yet)

I definitely blame it's some online monopoly is killing a lot of local stores. I used to shop mostly online for years but have been changing to buy more from B&M stores for some time. I really wish Toysrus can survive this round.

#713 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5837 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:18 AM

I went to a non-closing TRU store with my boy for an Easter event and hopefully going to his first Birthday event if the store is not going down. While waiting for the raffle, I went around and saw a lot of toys that I don't know that exists.

If Toysrus is going to close down all stores, we the customers are the losers indeed.
You think Amazon is going to host events for your kids? yeah, might be in their warehouse at nowhere.
Where else we can see a large collection of toys in person and have hands on them with your kids to try? or you prefer looking at the pictures and watching video online to make the purchase decision?
And do you prefer getting greeting from some online robots rather than real cashiers?

I know Toysrus has higher price or at MSRP for many toys especially video games that most CAG only care about. However, they do pricematch in store so it's actually not an issue. And they actually are having profit each year but just the interest of the debt that's killing it.(unlike Kmart and Sears should have gone down IMO while they haven't yet)

I definitely blame it's some online monopoly is killing a lot of local stores. I used to shop mostly online for years but have been changing to buy more from B&M stores for some time. I really wish Toysrus can survive this round.

I don't think most people care about those things. I rather save my money and buy toys cheaper on Amazon, eBay, other online sites than spend gas on a random event that I can just do at the Lego store.

Honestly, most people in this day and age rather look at a video online, I know I do. Stores have such good return policies that they can test out items and if they truly don't want it after watching a video review, they can return it without any problem.

I, and all the people I know, do prefer to not deal with employees. If I'm in a store that has self checkout, I much rather do that where I can skip the smalltalk, bag my stuff more quickly and not have to deal with upselling.

All the things you talk about are things the current and previous generation does like to do and doesn't mind losing from a store.

Them having profit means nothing when their total sales per year is down and they are losing customers left and right for their prices. They do price match but they dont even advertise that they do. They constantly sell items above MSRP. They have these huge stores full of toys which was great 30 years ago but it's a waste of space when people skip over a large portion of the store. They set themselves up for failure when they refused to get with the times and just like all the other stores that did the same, they are closing.

#714 mcdull   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   661 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

All the things you talk about are things the current and previous generation does like to do and doesn't mind losing from a store.

I'm certain I will miss the moment of seeing kids happy face when entering a toy store when I have my grandkids watching the monitor only.

#715 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5837 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:44 AM

I'm certain I will miss the moment of seeing kids happy face when entering a toy store when I have my grandkids watching the monitor only.

I can understand that. If this and the last generation had enough money to spend on these things like the last gen did than maybe people would feel more passionately about it. But with ever raising cost, lower wages (in comparison to prices of goods) and a much more competitive work environment, it's hard to justify spending so much on toys that your kids won't play with a month after getting it. I'll gladly sacrifice a store that isn't willing to change with the times for a store that is much cheaper and more convenient.

#716 ShinAkuma   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

ShinAkuma

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

If anyone is on the edge about using their gift cards, you probably should use them because right now the only reason you can is because the bankruptcy court is allowing them to be used. (Its in the court documents if you're bored enough to really look). The next court dates appear to be March 15th and 20th. Will something happen then? Who knows.

#717 thephoenix112   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   64 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

thephoenix112

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

Toys r Us didn't fail because of consumers. It failed to remain competitive. We're at a point where income has barely went up for most lower to middle class families and they're not only charging more than most online stores, they're charging more than most brick and mortar stores too. The people that own it also made extremely risky decisions that bit them in the ass. Things like Amazon didn't bring about their downfall. TRU knew it was something unique and used that to push higher prices, so in the end people just went elsewhere. If memory serves right they also destroyed any direct competition so they wouldn't have to be competitive in the first place (KB Toys).

They shit the bed and now have to sleep in it. That's on no one but them.

#718 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6852 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Toys r Us didn't fail because of consumers. It failed to remain competitive. We're at a point where income has barely went up for most lower to middle class families and they're not only charging more than most online stores, they're charging more than most brick and mortar stores too. The people that own it also made extremely risky decisions that bit them in the ass. Things like Amazon didn't bring about their downfall. TRU knew it was something unique and used that to push higher prices, so in the end people just went elsewhere. If memory serves right they also destroyed any direct competition so they wouldn't have to be competitive in the first place (KB Toys).

They shit the bed and now have to sleep in it. That's on no one but them.

I'm sure you don't realize that Bain Capital was key player in the deliberate destruction of KB Toys and then TRU. But hey, that's hot takes for you.

dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#719 angelus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

I'm sure you don't realize that Bain Capital was key player in the deliberate destruction of KB Toys and then TRU. But hey, that's hot takes for you.

Yep.  There are so many dumb hot takes in the last few pages of this thread.  TRU was bought, loaded up with debt and set up to fail.  Their fundamentals are actually quite strong.

#720 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2807 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

I am curious just how much of an effect the events had. I was one of the two people that ran events at our store, and there was a dramatic increase in them over the past year. I'm sure it depends by area, but in my experience most people coming in didn't buy anything while there. Maybe 10%, and outside of giveaway Lego events and the monthly birthday story time attendance was fairly low to begin with.

I did have a few regular families that REALLY enjoyed them, came to just about all of them as a kind of weekend activity, but that was definitely not the norm.

http://www.bbc.com/n...siness-43401674
All European stores are closing.

SIX+min+WHISTLE.png