* * * * - 3 votes

Toys"R"Us TRU YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I

#1681 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

Was thinking about going there today, but I guess I will call to see if they accept cash or debit before driving out there since it's not close.  I'm probably the only person in America who doesn't have a credit card.

#1682 Hampshire24   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   19 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Hampshire24

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

Was thinking about going there today, but I guess I will call to see if they accept cash or debit before driving out there since it's not close. I'm probably the only person in America who doesn't have a credit card.

Dave Ramsey and me until I realized there were many advantages to credit cards (cash back and travel rewards) as long as you don’t spend anymore than you would with cash.

Might go check out the Toys R Us in Lexington, KY. Not my childhood TRU (Huntington, WV), but still would like to go one last time.

#1683 Jurai  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

I only got a credit card purely to build credit with, it's worth one for that at least. Just get one and set your auto pay bills up to charge to that card, and leave the card at home so you can't use it while out, then just pay it off like you would any other bill

#1684 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4425 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:27 PM

A friend of mine walked through the local TRU yesterday and recorded it, the shelves and walls were all for the most barren at this point. I thought about making one last trip today but doesn't look like it will be worth it and I would prefer to leave my last memory of being inside a TRU as it being mostly stocked about a month ago. 

First Children's Palace and KB Toys, now Toys 'R' Us is done and major toy retailers are all but gone. It's sad to see. 

#1685 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13117 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

First Children's Palace and KB Toys, now Toys 'R' Us is done and major toy retailers are all but gone. It's sad to see. 

I remember Child World back in the 1980's too, though not sure if that was a national or regional chain.

#1686 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   853 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:20 PM

Can I buy the backwards R ?

#1687 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4425 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

I remember Child World back in the 1980's too, though not sure if that was a national or regional chain.

Child World also owned Children's Palace. I believe it was a national chain, but I could be wrong they went out of business when I was about 5 or 6. We only ever had a Children's Palace which became a Best Buy and has been one ever since. 

#1688 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4441 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:57 PM

A friend of mine walked through the local TRU yesterday and recorded it, the shelves and walls were all for the most barren at this point. I thought about making one last trip today but doesn't look like it will be worth it and I would prefer to leave my last memory of being inside a TRU as it being mostly stocked about a month ago. 

You forgot about Lionel Leisure prior to that...

#1689 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2568 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

Is there any further discount for today (2nd to last day)?  Most were still at 70% yesterday.

#1690 GeeWiz   Cheaper than Cheap! CAGiversary!   2325 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

Is there any further discount for today (2nd to last day)? Most were still at 70% yesterday.

If the stores that closed earlier are any indication, it should be 80%, then 90%, then 95%

#1691 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4425 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:33 PM

You forgot about Lionel Leisure prior to that...

That was before my time. 

#1692 seandc02  

seandc02

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:19 PM

#1693 ScullyDu   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

ScullyDu

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:03 AM

Stopped at 4 stores this week as I was traveling. They all basically had the same thngs which was not much. Felt stange having 1/2 to 3/4 of the store roped off. Like someone said previously I probably should have stayed out to preserve my memory.

Sent from my H1711z using Tapatalk

#1694 Kojiro   Mad Scientist CAGiversary!   374 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:35 AM

Stopped in about 30 minutes before close tonight. It was my store's last day. Managed to snag a Theaterhythm Curtain Call LE for 5 bucks and a Street Fighter Ken pop for 2. Gonna miss that place.

#1695 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   5012 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 03:27 AM

Got ps3 fallen skies for 6 and just dance 2016 360 for 6 @ 80% off. Sign said final day, but when I asked they said they are supposed to be open Friday from 10 am to noon. But they said they were selling inventory much faster and expected that today would actually be the last day. Most everything was 80% off. Tomorrow is supposed to be 90%.

Lying on a box by check out there were 2 DVD sets of star wars rebels season 2 and 3. I like the show but dont know that I needed them on DVD even for 8 or so each. They hadn't been in the movie section for weeks.

#1696 Opelousai  

Opelousai

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

Thinking about going one final round at some Toy R Us stores. @jdawgg76 said his store is only open for 2 hours. Anyone else heard from their store when they are closing?

#1697 seandc02  

seandc02

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

Well, According to the emails I got from Toys R US, today is the final day for all US stores. Most stores are closing in two hours at 12pm. I can't make it personally though. RIP.

At the very least, Some stores will stay open internationally, But Stores are still closing left and right elsewhere, and With all the US and UK stores gone things do not look good.

This will be my sendoff for them: 

Stores Staying Open In other countries:

Confirmed- Canada, Bought by another company, but will keep the name 

Confirmed- Germany, Snitcherland- Bought By another company, name may or not be kept, but stores will still stay open

Probably: Japan- No closing announcements as of right now, Business is actually very good

Unconfirmed- Asia, South Africa, Said they are doing fine

Closed:

UK (Closed earlier this year)

US (As of today)

Closing:

Australia- Just announced, closing dates unconfirmed, could not find buyers

#1698 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16968 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

So, now Canada has EB Games and ToysRUs. And the US has...Donald Trump. Well, that's just...*insert gif here*

#1699 seandc02  

seandc02

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

So, now Canada has EB Games and ToysRUs. And the US has...Donald Trump. Well, that's just...*insert gif here*

It's Definitely hard to hold back feelings regarding this. First, they built the giant times square building that barely lasted 5 years and turned out to be a giant waste of money, Then they announced they were having financial troubles right in the middle of the 2016 Holiday Season, resulting in one of the worst sales quotas they had ever had and caused several manufacters to back out, While the CEOs kept borrowing more money and increasing the already big debt for the company.

ToysRUS Will be missed here, But hopefully It's legacy and it's remaining stores will make it more than just a memory of some.

#1700 ProtectYaNeck   Deal seeker CAGiversary!   63 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

ProtectYaNeck

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

I'm mad that Splinter cell Conviction I bought for 360 last week was just announced as part of Games with Gold next month :-|

Can't return it cuz well TRU is dead.

#1701 Ratmonkey  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

Just wanted to verify the early closing today. Stopped by my local at 130pm when I got out of work and it was already closed.

Those debating "one last spin" in other time zones might want to make up thier mind.

#1702 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4425 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Just wanted to verify the early closing today. Stopped by my local at 130pm when I got out of work and it was already closed.

Those debating "one last spin" in other time zones might want to make up thier mind.

Seems like a lot of the stores closed up yesterday due to being mostly cleaned out. I saw some footage a friend took at our local store as I had mentioned a few pages back and it was honestly depressing to see the store in such shambles as a shell of what once was. I am glad that I went in about a month ago for my last trek into the store. The stuff they had then even at 70% off was pretty slim pickings and I didn't want to leave without making at least one more purchase so I ended up buying a $2 fidget cube for my desk at work. 

#1703 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10091 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

Sad to see TRU go. RIP $15 Guitar Hero super bundle.

#1704 nintendolink007   I'm an cheapass ebayholic CAGiversary!   164 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

nintendolink007

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

Ahh....so heartbroken. I went to my local Toys R Us at Castleton in Indianapolis today and found out they were closed. I originally planned on coming today on its last day and a second time, which was gonna be yesterday, but my gosh darn car had a hard time dealing with the heat so i was unable to do that.

So if you are planning on going to the Castleton location, don't bother, its offically closed.

Although i'm rather disappointed as i was very excited to visit it a couple times during its final week and ended up failing, i'm glad at least i was able to visit it previous for at least 20 times so at least i had my final run with it like i did when i was a kid.

Although this is a disappointing week, at LEAST it ended up good and a bit of a memory towards Toys R Us. I went to the Best Buy next door to Toys R Us and i ran into the NES Classic Edition Consoles. I wasn't expecting that. So i ended up picking one up.

There are three more there when i left so if you are looking for one, i strongly suggest you head up there right now. They are right in the middle of the video game section in the back right in front of a tv. You really cant miss them.

I know there is other ways of playing the nes games, but originally i wanted to get something that linked to Toys R Us and the NES Classic is the best thing to do that, along with my previous purchase from Toys R Us.

Goodbye Geoffrey the Giraffe, enjoy your retirement and thanks for the memories,

3Rr39hf.jpg

#1705 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4407 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:33 PM

I think everywhere was restocked with NES Classics this week. My Best Buy still had about 30 as of 5:30.

Anyways, my store actually organised a going away party of sorts in the store last night. One of our former managers had been there for 20 years and invited every employee she still had contact with. We had a nice gathering of about 60 people and got a few giant group pictures, and had everyone sign the TRU logo on the wall.

#1706 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13117 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:45 AM

Although this is a disappointing week, at LEAST it ended up good and a bit of a memory towards Toys R Us. I went to the Best Buy next door to Toys R Us and i ran into the NES Classic Edition Consoles. I wasn't expecting that. So i ended up picking one up.

There are three more there when i left so if you are looking for one, i strongly suggest you head up there right now. They are right in the middle of the video game section in the back right in front of a tv. You really cant miss them.

I know there is other ways of playing the nes games, but originally i wanted to get something that linked to Toys R Us and the NES Classic is the best thing to do that, along with my previous purchase from Toys R Us.

Definitely a good link to TRU.  I probably purchased most of my original NES games from TRU (using that game ticket system I used to love).  It always felt great bringing that game ticket to the little room/window right by the exit to pick up the game.

#1707 nintendolink007   I'm an cheapass ebayholic CAGiversary!   164 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

nintendolink007

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

Definitely a good link to TRU.  I probably purchased most of my original NES games from TRU (using that game ticket system I used to love).  It always felt great bringing that game ticket to the little room/window right by the exit to pick up the game.

Dang, i do remember the whole ticket deal. I almost forgot about that. I still remember the huge glass cases they had with all the games in them. Of course it probably wasnt huge, but i was 5,6or 7 so it was huge enough for me.

I think everywhere was restocked with NES Classics this week. My Best Buy still had about 30 as of 5:30.

Anyways, my store actually organised a going away party of sorts in the store last night. One of our former managers had been there for 20 years and invited every employee she still had contact with. We had a nice gathering of about 60 people and got a few giant group pictures, and had everyone sign the TRU logo on the wall.

Yeah i knew it was being re-released today, but i never thought i'd ever run into one, even with Nintendo's "promises".

#1708 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:53 AM

Today was the last day of business for all remaining Toys R Us stores

#1709 mitch079   Mumm-Ra shares with no one! CAGiversary!   12827 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:51 AM

Bye yesterday!  

That was easy, they don't know what they're talking about.

#1710 Malignpariah   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   48 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Malignpariah

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

Looks like it's all over. Was a fun/sad thread to follow. I'll see you guys in a couple years in the Best Buy closing thread.