Geek Squad came for TV repair; created worse problem

Matt Young

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
1 year ago, I had my bedroom TV replaced through Geek Squad Protection. I had to return 2 of the same model Sony TV they tried giving me as a replacement because of white blotches on the screen. The process was hell.

Finally, I paid the difference to "upgrade" to a 60" Samsung 4K TV with a 5 year Geek Squad Protection plan. That one has been giving me problems for a year now: turning off randomly, smart TV apps not working, blurry display.

Yesterday, 2 Geek Squad guys came out to replace a part. They did this by laying the TV face down on on my bed! So, I have no idea if the problem these morons were supposed to fix has been corrected, but they completely ruined my screen. Any dark scene is now marred by large white blotches.

Knowing this particular store, they will undoubtedly try to absolve themselves of any blame and screw me over once again. Any advice? I've attached links to a few photos of the damage they caused to my display. Before the "repair" yesterday, these screens showed up all black with no white blotches.

http://imgur.com/3pVd52u

http://imgur.com/doR3u3a

http://imgur.com/oAF0ItW

Was this a plasma?

There shouldn't be any impact on the TV being laid down that way unless it's a Plasma, then they're just idiots for even doing that knowing it is one.

But then again, not surprised since this is Geek Squad after all, and most of them can't figure out how to turn on a computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 60" Samsung UN60JU7090 4K UHD 3D Smart LED HDTV, so not a plasma. Do you have any idea what else could have caused the problem I described? The blotching was nonexistent prior to the Geek Squad "repair". Afterward? The pictures speak for themselves.

It's a 60" Samsung UN60JU7090 4K UHD 3D Smart LED HDTV, so not a plasma. Do you have any idea what else could have caused the problem I described? The blotching was nonexistent prior to the Geek Squad "repair". Afterward? The pictures speak for themselves.
i would contact the bbb as well

Well, if they actually pressed the screen on something when they put it on your bed, that could certainly break the screen.

The TV may just be bad, so even if they "repaired" it the first time, it wouldn't be something they can fix, and they may need to either send it to Samsung to fix it, or replace it for you since you have the plan.

Samsung TVs have a pretty common defect for certain models that results in something similar to what you're describing. Samsung plasmas have a common purple haze (it's how Samsung refers to this issue) defect that will always start getting these purple flashing lines across the screen whenever there is a white background. Samsung LED TVs have a similar problem, but it's sort of in reverse. When the TV has a black color on the screen, the lines will start to appear on the screen, in very similar fashion with the flashing lines of white across. They also refer to this as a white haze. I am not sure if this is what's going on with your TV, but I'd try it out on several things that have black colors specifically, and see if that happens. The triggers are generally only when there's either full white or full black (depending on which type of TV you have), so not just light or dark colors typically. Play around with it, and see if the white stuff keeps showing up during scenes that have black.

If this is in fact the issue though, as I've mentioned before, it's not an easy fix, and it's a defect that they will either have to send back to Samsung to fix, or if it's out of Samsung's warranty (3 years typically), then BB will have to replace it as there is no fix for them to do on their end.

The only other possible issue I can think of is that the Smart TV portion of the TV has gone bad, and it may need to have a hard factory reset to fix all of the issues. This is most likely not the issue as I hope the agents they sent out to you had tried this, but if they hadn't you may be able to just do it yourself to double check. Smart TV apps may go bad sometimes, and messes with the mechanics of the way the TV functions, so you could always just do a hard reset to see if that will fix the issue, but from the sound of it, it could be something more complicated than just a software/firmware issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back