Uh oh... Switch wifi issues

Timezones

CAGiversary!
I couldn't find a Nintendo Switch forum, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.  I hoped this was an isolated issue, but news of Switch wifi issues are slowly trickling in from across the internet.  

Has anyone had problems with their new Switch's wifi strength/connectivity?  My router is 9 feet from my Switch and I can barely connect when they system is docked (see pic), and it's only marginally better when I undock and stand 2 or 3 from the router.  My PS4, XBOX One, Wii U, iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc... ALL get strong signals, so I know it's not the router/wifi.  

Never had a single issue with any of my Nintendo's.  I'm hoping this isn't a hardware problem  :wall:

Cheers. 

YES!! This is why I came here...I'm using a 3 month old Nighthawk AC3200. I wouldn't consider my living room a deadspot, all devices usually get full bars. Plus two extenders lie in two opposite rooms downstairs. I get ZERO bars for my main Wi-Fi. Sometimes it will connect, but then can't do anything. I finally got the update going, it stalled at 41%. I backed out, re-did it and ran upstairs to my router. The update downloaded in seconds. 

I power-cycled it, connected it to my extenders, which only got 1-2 (lol) bars being on the same level. 

Wanting to download eSHOP games, I just pulled my hard ethernet/USB adapter from my WiiU and its working at 32mbps DL wired.

OMG this is the worst issue so far. Had no joycon problems, but kids were playing in between a coffee table and couch, so not much distance. Put a screen protector on before we did anything. An yes we all did lick carts, but not the same ones!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been having an issue with this too. About 3/4th of the time the wifi is working fine, but the other 1/4th I have to finagle with the settings to get it to work. It seems to only get 2 bars signal from my router? Its really odd because my router is literally 3 feet away from my docked system.

My picture didn't post for some reason, but when docked I'm getting 1.3 Mbps down and 294.6 Kbps up...... ouch.

Sorry gang.  I'll be following this closely and will post any updates I hear of.  

If people are having issues, when posting, you should also add your router model and mention if it's up to date. I haven't had any issues yet, but I did have issues with all portables on my nighthawk router. Some settings that are on by default from netgear were stupid, such as proxy set by default. Later, ill post the settings that worked for me in case it helps anyone else.

If people are having issues, when posting, you should also add your router model and mention if it's up to date. I haven't had any issues yet, but I did have issues with all portables on my nighthawk router. Some settings that are on by default from netgear were stupid, such as proxy set by default. Later, ill post the settings that worked for me in case it helps anyone else.
Not a bad idea! I have Verizon Fios if it matters. Actiontec MI424WR. Firmware (40.21.24) is up to date.

I'd like the know the settings you use

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Might explain why I cannot connect my newish 3DS XL

Ok, I have a Nighthawk R7300 (same as the 7100, but also has built in powerline networking) with firmware 1.0.0.46_1.0.13

1st, I used Wifi Analyzer and Wifi Tool (from the windows store)  to find an unused channel for my equipment

Now, these are the settings I changed that worked for me. After these specific changes, I have not had any issues with all of my devices, including my switch (had it less than 24 hours, but no issues at all with wifi). The wifi issues being mentioned were the exact same issues I have, forcing me to disable/reenable wifi or rebooting for my devices to reconnect to the router. Before changing anything, BACKUP your current settings, that way if something goes wrong, you can just reset/restore your old settings.

Remember, these are netgear nighthawk specific.

In the Advanced tab, under WPS Wizard

Wan Setup: Only have " Disable IGMP Proxying" checked

QoS setup: Dynamic QoS tab:Nothing checked. Qos game my Windows phone issue.

WMM Tab: nothing selected (Screwed with my iPhone when selected)

In advanced setup:

Wireless Settings: Uncheck "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING" It screwed with both cell phones and my Surface Pro 2. This was THE issue for me, and once disabled, everything just worked perfectly.

Traffic Meter: Don't enable. It will slow down your connection

I have a nighthawk as well. Hopefully your settings help me out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I couldn't find a Nintendo Switch forum, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I hoped this was an isolated issue, but news of Switch wifi issues are slowly trickling in from across the internet.

Has anyone had problems with their new Switch's wifi strength/connectivity? My router is 9 feet from my Switch and I can barely connect when they system is docked (see pic), and it's only marginally better when I undock and stand 2 or 3 from the router. My PS4, XBOX One, Wii U, iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc... ALL get strong signals, so I know it's not the router/wifi.

Never had a single issue with any of my Nintendo's. I'm hoping this isn't a hardware problem :wall:

Cheers.
Yes. I think my system is defective. Right next to a wireless N router, I got 2mbps download speed. I also decided to try with a wireless ac router, on that, it was 50mbps (my galaxy s7 phone got 230mbps on the same router). It took me 70 minutes to download on the n router. I'm thinking I need to give Nintendo a call and get a replacement system unless they're able to help me. I'm pretty pissed, as I can't really start Zelda if I'm going to send it back.

I changed all the settings ashram advised above on my Nighthawk X4S. I noticed I was getting two bars with the Switch undocked, but it would never connect. If I moved into another room, the bars dropped off. This thing doesn't even get more than 2 bars in front of both of my extenders. And it still doesn't connect to them.

IDK, maybe it's b/c I have a fish tank in my house, but it's nowhere near the line of site for the wifi. I'm sure if I call them, they'll tell me to get rid of the fish tank, put all my cell phones in a bucket outside the house and unplug all my kitchen appliances..SMH

This is really not cool b/c my son is 10 hours into Zelda (which I didn't think he would even like) so if they can't repair my same one and send me a new unit, that is really going to be upsetting! Now that I recall, I had a problem with the WiiU gamepad 2 weeks after launch, which they sent me a coffin for, sent it back, no problems again. Of course didn't have to worry about save files since the base didn't go.

Now, I'm trying to determine if this is even worth it. What is WiFi going to do for me? If I can always dock it to download, IDK if it's the end of the world I can't do multiplayer in another room...but that's just a crappy limitation I'm placing on us. Does anyone know what protocol is used, say if we have two Switch's and they want to play Mario Kart 8 together on each Switch. Is that using WiFi or something else?

Ok, I have a Nighthawk R7300 (same as the 7100, but also has built in powerline networking) with firmware 1.0.0.46_1.0.13

1st, I used Wifi Analyzer and Wifi Tool (from the windows store) to find an unused channel for my equipment

Now, these are the settings I changed that worked for me. After these specific changes, I have not had any issues with all of my devices, including my switch (had it less than 24 hours, but no issues at all with wifi). The wifi issues being mentioned were the exact same issues I have, forcing me to disable/reenable wifi or rebooting for my devices to reconnect to the router. Before changing anything, BACKUP your current settings, that way if something goes wrong, you can just reset/restore your old settings.

Remember, these are netgear nighthawk specific.

In the Advanced tab, under WPS Wizard

Wan Setup: Only have " Disable IGMP Proxying" checked

QoS setup: Dynamic QoS tab:Nothing checked. Qos game my Windows phone issue.

WMM Tab: nothing selected (Screwed with my iPhone when selected)

In advanced setup:

Wireless Settings: Uncheck "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING" It screwed with both cell phones and my Surface Pro 2. This was THE issue for me, and once disabled, everything just worked perfectly.

Traffic Meter: Don't enable. It will slow down your connection
Ive got a Nighthawk R6700 I checked all these settings. Laptop and Rokus work fine. PS3/PS4 work fine.

3DS doesnt work witth my A/C connection. I can connect to my G/N connection which is fine for now. Same with the Wii (but it probably doesnt support N)

Ive got a Nighthawk R6700 I checked all these settings. Laptop and Rokus work fine. PS3/PS4 work fine.

3DS doesnt work witth my A/C connection. I can connect to my G/N connection which is fine for now. Same with the Wii (but it probably doesnt support N)
3DS doesn't support AC, and the Wii doesn't support N.... they both seem stuck on 2.4Ghz bands so b/g wifi
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/498/~/compatible-wireless-modes-and-wireless-security-types

I spoke with Nintendo customer support about the Wi-Fi issue for over 40 minutes. They kept telling me nonsense like, "do you have metal and glass in the room." Of course! If that were causing problems, it'd do the same to the phone, 3ds, laptop, etc. I've tried it on two routers and both are between a 4th to a 5th of the speed that my phone is getting. He also grilled me on resetting routers, changing channels, firmware, etc, and I did all of the above on the ac router and it didn't do a thing. About repairs, he made it sound like they'd probably just send it back because he and Nintendo are convinced that it's "interference." I think I'm going to try returning it to Best Buy and just wait however long it takes for a new system. I worry that the new one could also be defective, though, and I doubt Best Buy would take kindly to me returning another.

@IronChariot I spoke to Nintendo as well. We did a ton of troubleshooting, but still no luck. While they were friendly and knowledgeable, I was less than pleased when they said that usually it's interference (like they told you), and not the system. And that maybe I should consider buying the LAN adapter....

Right.

So my iPhone, tablet, Kindle, XBOX, PlayStation, Wii U, TiVo, laptop, 3DS, and smart TV must all have some magical hardware that defy all odds and easily connect with fast speeds despite all of the "interference", lol.

Returned the Switch to Target yesterday and they gave a full refund without batting an eye. Breaks my heart, but I might wait a few months before considering buying another. There have been enough reports out there that this issue affects a decent amount of Switch systems. Don't feel like going through the hassle of tracking down another one, just to deal with these issues all over again.

Wow, this is so disappointing! I tried to get the update for Bomberman last night. I held the Switch in the sky to get 2 bars from my living room. Took 8 mins to download, boy, was my arm tired...

I guess the hardware doesn't play nice with AC routers? It doesn't effect the 2 BF New 3DS's we have though, good bars throughout the house. I wanted to take the unit to my work today to see if it was any better, but my kid was already on it at 6am.

We will just have to stay tethered by LAN when docked and if we want to play mulitplayer, go upstairs. It's not going to be worth the hassle trying to return to store or Nintendo, especially when they can't promise you the same unit back. I'd hate to get one with dead pixels or a joycon sync issue (which thankfully we do not have either)

bread's done
Back