* - - - - 6 votes

Gamestop Powerup Rewards Pro Offer- Buy Spring Gaming Pass, get $10 off select games

GCU still better Gamestop Roast Thread

#1 Ferrari Racer   Reporter for CAGNetwork CAGiversary!   6291 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

http://www.gamestop....C0tPg.nF6xzcPrQ

lmao

Gamertag - ITS DAT DAM KID. NNID: Its_Pikachu.

#2 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6052 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

So pay $10 for the spring pro pass to save $10.

I assume this is to combat prime savings/GCU...LOL regardless

#3 ritchardf  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

So pay $10 for the spring pro pass to save $10.

I assume this is to combat prime savings/GCU...LOL regardless

technically you could save $50 if you buy all the games, still not good, but decent deal for the uninformed that pay msrp for everything.

edit: plus there is a chance that one of the last 3 games will have low preorder numbers and they will bump it up to $20 like they did with titanfall 2 last year

#4 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11165 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

I've went over this in the GS thread. You get the pass for free when you buy neir, mass effect, prey, ghost warrior or eso marrow wind.

Deader2818.png

#5 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36035 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

I've went over this in the GS thread. You get the pass for free when you buy neir, mass effect, prey, ghost warrior or eso marrow wind.

Which is the same as buying the pass for $10 then using it on any of those since you'd be paying $60.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :switch: LoZ: Breath of the Wild :3ds: Metroid: Samus Returns :ps4: Shadow of Mordor GotY :ps3: TLoH: Trails of Cold Steel 2 :vita: Ys: Memories of Celceta

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps4: Yooka-Laylee (3.5/5 :vita: Collar x Malice (4.25/5)

#6 Mando44646   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   146 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Mando44646

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

not even remotely competitive with GCU

#7 Vap   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1620 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Its nice that they're trying to give deals on new games, but this is awful. Lol. Gcu and prime kill it, and even target is better sometimes, especially if you have a red card.

#8 PeeDeeJay   Who stole my hat? CAGiversary!   695 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

PeeDeeJay

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Except you also have to be a pro member, which is another $15. And this gaming pass is only good until 7/6, ugh.

#9 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11165 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Which is the same as buying the pass for $10 then using it on any of those since you'd be paying $60.

Not sure I follow. When you buy any of those 5 games you don't pay for the pass.

Disclaimer: In no way defending gamestop or implying its in anyway a good deal.

Deader2818.png

#10 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36035 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

Not sure I follow. When you buy any of those 5 games you don't pay for the pass.

Disclaimer: In no way defending gamestop or implying its in anyway a good deal.

Scenario A: Buy one of the 5 games for $60, get the gaming pass for free, use it on subsequent qualifying games for $50.

Scenario B: Buy the gaming pass separately for $10, use it to get any of the qualifying games for $50.

That first game will always cost $60 total (full MSRP in Scenario A, $10 + $50 in Scenario B). Buying any of the games to get the pass for "free" costs the same as buying the pass by itself then using it to buy one of the games.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :switch: LoZ: Breath of the Wild :3ds: Metroid: Samus Returns :ps4: Shadow of Mordor GotY :ps3: TLoH: Trails of Cold Steel 2 :vita: Ys: Memories of Celceta

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps4: Yooka-Laylee (3.5/5 :vita: Collar x Malice (4.25/5)

#11 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2481 Posts   Joined 2.9 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

^ It's not the same, it just costs the same :P

#12 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   39711 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Power to the Players™

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community.  

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

It's because of pillars like you, I remain in this community.  Thank you!

Spoken like a true pillar. The community sends its many thanks.

How dare you speak to the pillar of our community that way. If he says you're a closet vita fan he knows what he's talking about.

#13 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36035 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

^ It's not the same, it just costs the same :P

Fixed. :boxing:

Cloud_Squall78.png

#14 Vinn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   144 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

/facepalm

It feels like they want to compete with GCU/Prime but also at the same time don't want to lose too much profit.  It's not even remotely competitive with either.  Also only select games that you will have to look up to see if it gets the discount.  Also only last half a year.

/facepalm

#15 MPoWeRM3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1733 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Why GS even bother, just keep selling at MSRP and people be happier because its "normal" customers are not afraid of MSRP anyway.

#16 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   2870 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

This isn't a great deal, but it's something for those who are still buying new games at Gamestop stores. Obviously GCU is much better of a deal and Amazon Prime is also a better deal overall, but it is something. I am actually surprised that GCU hasn't had it's legs cut out from under it yet with how great of a deal it is, especially when stuff is on sale. 

Currently Playing:

:ps4: Tekken 7 & Berserk and the Band of the Hawk |  :xb1: Skyrim |  Switch Sonic Mania & Splatoon 2 

#17 blackbeard4886   On a Highway to Hell CAGiversary!   3251 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

blackbeard4886

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

Thanks, I'll just wait until the next flipalooza and get them free.

Please PM for access to "What shall not be named"

#18 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   5958 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

$15 to buy PowerupPro for 1 year

$10 for Spring Pro Savings pass

to save $10 on five select games until 7/6

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#19 DietKFC   I pay $60 for Kingdom Hearts Demos CAGiversary!   940 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

lmao, bye Felicia we won't miss you when you die

#20 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   5958 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

LMFAO  you just had to explain this to a GS employee

This isn't a great deal, but it's something for those who are still buying new games at Gamestop stores. Obviously GCU is much better of a deal and Amazon Prime is also a better deal overall, but it is something. I am actually surprised that GCU hasn't had it's legs cut out from under it yet with how great of a deal it is, especially when stuff is on sale. 

Aye, it's a deal for people who don't care about getting deals. 

#21 dontBlink86  

dontBlink86

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Why GS even bother, just keep selling at MSRP and people be happier because its "normal" customers are not afraid of MSRP anyway.

I think this just shows Gamestop is losing business because of GCU and Prime, which means they're reacting. They have a long way to go, but competition is good for consumers

#22 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   5958 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Does it get the hose again when selling these new games?

#23 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11165 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Amazon and Best buy can afford to sell new games at cost. They have other means to make up for that. Gamestop doesn't really have that.

Also Nothing him explaining it doesn't mean much. My main point is the same. Anyone (not this site, anyone in general) that is buying one of those games at full price gets the pro pass for free regardless.

This "pro pass" isn't a new thing. They did this last year as well.

Gamestop isnt making as much money as before due to several factors. Prime and GCU is one. Digital being bigger is another. Gamestop still has the largest market share for whatever reason though.

Deader2818.png

#24 AsstronautJones   bang bang what's the hang CAGiversary!   1167 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

AsstronautJones

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

1410082237_cat_pooping_in_the_toilet_fai

1053538.png

#25 redreflect   I am the Wolf CAGiversary!   1383 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

redreflect

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

We can laugh at this and say how terrible it is but the sad reality is that people will buy into it. 

There is no one true CAG. Some are more "gamer," some are more "cheap" and certainly some are far more "ass."

#26 trip1eX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1573 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

I could see buying a pass like this if you were planning to get most of the games anyway and had lots of trade credit.

It would save me ~$1.50 per game because of no tax compared to GCU if I am using trade credit. Also saves the hassle of converting back to BB credit.

#27 Faithful   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   463 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Faithful

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

So I flipped/boomeranged a ton of stuff with the switch preorder promo, then moved my Zelda preorder to Mass Effect and paid it off with the mountains of credit I have. Wondering if it's worth doing this and then have to deal with a coupon for an item I've already paid in full - I expect it will give your average GameStop employee an aneurysm trying to get it to work.

#28 Vinn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   144 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Also Nothing him explaining it doesn't mean much. My main point is the same. Anyone (not this site, anyone in general) that is buying one of those games at full price gets the pro pass for free regardless.

But you have to be a Pro Member for the pass to work to get the discount so you still have to put out an extra $15.  I just don't really get the rationale for this since your not gonna get any new customers by limiting it to Pro Members only.  It's basically for ppl who shop at GS regularly already.

#29 Dead_Batteries   Voltaic Pile CAGiversary!   861 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Dead_Batteries

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

I expect it will give your average GameStop employee an aneurysm trying to get it to work.

"Uh Pro Pass? Never heard of it. Hey Josh, do you know anything about it?"

"No."

"Sorry, it's not in the system. But we do notice that your pro membership expired. Would you like to purchase it?"

#30 jefffisher   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   46 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

jefffisher

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

lol good one gamestop you're only about 75 steps behind being competitive now