CAGcast #491: Computerize is Really a Word So Eat Me

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks right-wing YouTubers, PS Now, a low Zelda score, and so much more!
Download (1 hours 25 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Warby Parker, please visit  WarbyParker.com/cagcast  for your next pair of eye glasses

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Chocolate Puma x Pep & Rash - The Stars Are Mine
Outro - 80's NBC Promo

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video game makers in the US use the ESRB to rate themselves and inform their consumers. Should YouTubers use something similar to prevent YouTube or some other body enforce their own ratings and standards on them?

I think the rumored news this week about YouTube is related to the segment about today's YouTubers having an effect on kids.

Apparently, if your Google is account is under 18, YouTube will block M rated videos. YouTube has been rating uploads, and assigning certain intended audience ratings to the videos. If your account is under 18, you will not see these videos. This is a work in progress AFAIK.

Of course, a kid could just lie in their profile, but YouTube is trying to restrict content.

Check out the hashtag #YouTubeAgeGate for more news about this!

Colin's dumb joke only blew up into this huge deal because he called anyone who didn't find it funny "humorless sacks of shit".

Now he's crying like a bitch about the hole he voluntarily dug himself, dived into, and then refused to climb out of because of his so called principles.

I have a hard time believing anyone was truly offended by Colin's dad joke. It's straight out of every episode of married with children. The internet just loves to play the victim and then go after people with mob justice. 

cheapyd is becoming that conservative dad who doesn't let his son watch or do anything, those kids end up more crazy then usual .. SAD!

I have a hard time believing anyone was truly offended by Colin's dad joke. It's straight out of every episode of married with children. The internet just loves to play the victim and then go after people with mob justice.
The only one playing the victim is crybaby Colin. The same guy who tweeted this:

So pleased to see our culture finally pointing and laughing at trigger warning/microaggression/safe space culture. Time to grow the fuck up!
What sort of mentality must a person have to make the absurdly hypocritical statement quoted below without a trace of irony? He wants to be able to say whatever he wants, but doesn't want other people to express themselves freely in response. Almost as if he wants to exist inside a safe space. :-({|=

“To me, it’s personal freedom, responsibility, the right to succeed, and the right to fail. And the right to express yourself freely, without having to worry about being called a bigot or being called a sexist, as I was for making a silly joke.”

YouTube has really been changing in the past year or so. I think a lot of these Let's Play YouTubers are still adjusting since rules for hosting copyright material such as gaming feeds have become stricter. Also, a lot of these 'personalities' have been whining for a while now that YouTube is being mean to them by introducing so many rules lately. Basically rule changes are threatening their revenue stream, and YouTube has become less of a Wild West of entertainment. In retaliation, many 'personalities' threatened to 'close their channels' (empty threats in many unfortunate cases).

Personally I see the reaction by many of these YouTubers as a sign of their maturity. If they can't have their way, they will throw a fit and do inappropriate things for attention. As Cheapy suggests, it becomes a problem for us as parents when your kids also happen to be following these man-babies. I see nothing wrong with keeping an eye on your kids' History, and discussing what they watch. Maybe some of the more critical CAGCast listeners would change their minds once they become parents. As for these YouTubers, perhaps they just need a Time Out?

Loved the show this week, and not just because my Mass Effect question got on air (scale of one to gimmie on Mass Effect Andromeda).

I would enjoy a short segment every episode or so with some behind the scenes about the actual podcast or career discussion. "Inside Baseball" or "Sausage Making" could be a segment name.

How many downloads are you getting? What are the demographics of your listeners on average? How many razor blades are you guys selling?

We do get some inside looks on occasion when someone's PC or Mic craps out. But a successful near-500 episode podcast seems rare to me. I bet there are stories there. Maybe depressing ones that Cheapy could turn into a documentary someday.

The only one playing the victim is crybaby Colin. The same guy who tweeted this:

What sort of mentality must a person have to make the absurdly hypocritical statement quoted below without a trace of irony? He wants to be able to say whatever he wants, but doesn't want other people to express themselves freely in response. Almost as if he wants to exist inside a safe space. :-({|=
I understand your point, and agree that folks should be able to say whatever they want even if it is against colin. I personally think that people currently pretend to be offended because the enjoy mob bullying people on the internet. I do struggle to believe that people were truly offended by this particular joke and rather they were looking for a reason to crucify colin because his beliefs may not be the same as theirs.

I think open discussion and conversation is always good this just seems like a very very tame joke he made.

Ok......I want to start off by saying that I, and most normal people accept that you guys are just giving your opinions. We know they're opinions and we want that. But I have some issues/comments. (Also, I'm not here to say I'm unsubscribing or not going to listen anymore, that's just silly)

Wombat: On the subject of Logan, when you originally talked about this was right after the talk about how you guys were called out for being too critical or whiny about everything. You then proceeded into the Logan discussion, and while yes, you did admit to liking the film, you basically shat all over it, you didn't mention a single positive about the film other than liking it, only negatives. Sure, I get that you didn't want to spoil anything but you could still point out some positives......Anyway, after dissing Logan you basically went on to praise Goosebumps and rattled on about how great it was......I mean.....come on......

Ship: Kinda just tying in with Wombat about being critical and making sweeping statements ("No one has seen these Matrix movies more than once")

Cheapy: Kinda lumping everything in here.....the whole Youtube thing, you said yourself "We don't watch these youtubers"  I mean that right there. I'm not some hardcore PewDiePie fan, I'm not defending him, I'm not saying anything he did was right/wrong but this all started because things are taken out of context. You're having this discussion and making statements about the content of these channels without knowing the content or the context.

I'm not about to debate how you should parent your child, that's completely up to you and the wife on how to raise your child and everyone should respect that but you go on about how Tai isn't allowed to watch PewDiePie or whoever because you find it annoying and it's not content they should watch ("It's just people being annoying and yelling at computer....it's just annoying and stupid")

What is this then? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2kFk5M9x4
You were all about that^ if I'm not mistaken. It's just different content creators for a different audience.....

I want to wrap this up on the point that comedy is subjective, while there can inappropriate comedy for certain ages, comedy is comedy, humor is humor. No one should apologize for a joke because it offends someone or just because it's not the type of comedy that person likes.

I doubt anyone will even read this, I'm sure it's just me rambling. I'm typing this several hours after listening at work.

Once again, not intentionally trying to bash anyone or argue necessarily. Still enjoy the show each week, look forward to hearing more.

The snow/ice was pretty bad. It took me about twice as long as normal to shovel it. I think I would have preferred the original forcast of 12" of snow instead of the few inches of snow and ice we got. I do the same thing as Wombat, piling up some snow between my neighbor and myself on one side to stop the flow of water so the end of my driveway doesn't have a frozen sheet of ice in front of it at night.

I like the even-handed discussion on the youtube stuff this week. I have listened to Colin and Greg on their podcasts for a long time, and feel like some of the hate he got was unwarranted, specifically the folks who jumped on him being racist when his milquetoast sexist tweet blew up. But even though I enjoyed them on the PS podcasts, he is kind of an asshole. It was really entertaining to see Arthur Gies shit on him on twitter, because, while I actually really like him on Rebel FM, he is kind of an asshole too. No two people I listen to remind me as much of each other as those two.  They just lean different ways politically.

Not you guys though. Your podcast is one of my favorites because you are just a bunch of average jerks around my age who always have reasonable takes on stuff like this. Keep doing your thing.

Colin's dumb joke only blew up into this huge deal because he called anyone who didn't find it funny "humorless sacks of shit".

Now he's crying like a bitch about the hole he voluntarily dug himself, dived into, and then refused to climb out of because of his so called principles.
His joke wasn't a big deal and he's not "crying like a bitch". He's not in a hole, he will most likely run for office, the guy is a major history buff and knows his politics, as a libertarian.

YouTube is actually secretly age grouping channels and people lower then the channels age group will not be able to find the channel.

Good show as always guys.

Regarding Colin Moriaty and Jim Sterling: Its disturbing how the minute some people get offended they cant agree to disagree but instead they need to "bring that person to justice" and demand a apology or withdrawal of offending comment.  Becoming a character assassin on twitter or doing a DDOS attack is ridiculous just because someone has a differing view on something , or makes a joke you believe to be in bad taste.  I have read and watched Colin since IGN and personally I found his work to be very interesting and thought provoking. I don't always agree with him or any other media personality, but I don't go on twitter to make a personal character judgement on who that person is when I have never spent a full day with them. 

Bottom line we need to treat each other with dignity and respect even when we don't see eye to eye with them.

Also regarding Youtube monitoring, I think its every parents prerogative to decide what there child does on their free time and watches in their household. In my family we really didnt like Spongebob and therefore didnt allow our daughters to watch that.  And when I was a kid I was allowed to watch everything on TV, but my best friend in his house was not allowed to watch MTV because it was vulgar and had too much sexual influence...lol.  

When it comes to ESL I can agree with Ship that it's all about the fan on if they enjoy watching these events. I watch many blizzard games across the globe. Heroes of the storm, Overwatch, StarCraft 2. They are all entertaining in my opinion. Some events are bigger than others and have a larger crowd, a more grand stage, as well as a larger prize pool. One player for SC2, who has to pay a percent of his winnings to the house that sponsors him, has the ability to win anywhere from 100k to 500k in his tournament life in year. If you look at the growth from 2010 and on, you can clearly see the exponential growth per year in winnings. The more they invest the more people get involved. What do you three think ESL will be 10 years? Factoring technological growth and how more and more people are gaming compared to 10 years ago. 

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Winnings

(this is a link to see some of the SC2 winnings throughout the years)

Odd that people lost their mind at Colin's women's day joke, yet no one cares when Greg Miller makes a racist joke.
People are way too sensitive with things that are obvious jokes.

I feel honored to be insulted by Wombat. I wasn't trying to say you should change your speech pattern, but it does helps to frame the discussion differently, you've mentioned that you studied cinema in college but it comes off as condescending when you state your opinion in a way where it's implied that others are wrong for thinking differently "im sorry its not best picture material, it just isn't"... in contrast, i really like the way you guys do your favorite game of the years, you don't shit on each others picks and always talk how it's subjective to your personal taste and that everyone will have a different top 10.

Don't mind me though, I was just adding to someone else's comment about the "negativity" in the show, I've been listening since 2005 and enjoy the banter.

Cheapy, Wombat, Shipwreck, I have a theory about why people get so mad about game reviews. 

It's because they've drawn a line in the sand and said that they, personally, identify with something. They've decided (usually before they ever play it) that THIS thing, THIS game, THIS console, is THEIR thing and who ever wants to be told their choices were less than ideal? They decided part of their identity is wrapped up in this entertainment product and that anybody who criticizes it is criticizing THEM. It makes some sense, then, why some people will give death threats to developers who change something to "their identity" and a game delay hits them so much harder. 

Maybe I'm wrong but going forward with that thought, a lot of their behavior has made some sense. One thing is sure, though, whether or not that theory is true: people are fucking weird.

I feel honored to be insulted by Wombat. I wasn't trying to say you should change your speech pattern, but it does helps to frame the discussion differently, you've mentioned that you studied cinema in college but it comes off as condescending when you state your opinion in a way where it's implied that others are wrong for thinking differently "im sorry its not best picture material, it just isn't"... in contrast, i really like the way you guys do your favorite game of the years, you don't shit on each others picks and always talk how it's subjective to your personal taste and that everyone will have a different top 10.

Don't mind me though, I was just adding to someone else's comment about the "negativity" in the show, I've been listening since 2005 and enjoy the banter.
Pretty sure Wombat looked like this while reviewing Logan:

Anton-Ego-Ratatouille-disney-villains-1038342_500_373.jpg

I see where both sides are coming from!  On the one hand, my parents wouldn't have been thrilled to know I was watching shows like Beavis and Butt-Head as a kid.  On the other, comparing TV shows that are aggressively filed down by executives and sponsors to Youtube videos with little-to-no outside interference--including networks and brands quick to do damage control and let you know the opinions expressed don't reflect their respective household names as a whole--is kind of an apples and oranges thing.  But then back to the first hand again, oranges are what's in style and way accessible this generation.  Someone like a JonTron has the power to sway the opinion of a lot of kids who want to be cool like their YouTube hero, and whether that's the intention or not can become a nonfactor altogether once you've got that kind of reach.

More importantly, I paused the episode when the "computerize" talk wrapped up to peek at the episode title and then cackled like an idiot for a solid ten seconds.  Solid show!

bread's done
Back