* * - - - 12 votes

Nintendo Switch in stock at some stores YMMV

#961 Reiaze   Professional Lurker (not the code stealing type) CAGiversary!   133 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

If anyone close to Williamston NC is looking for one, Walmart here has 2 more in stock.

I like taking screenshots.

Reiaze.png

And yes, my backlog DOES have a spreadsheet!

#962 justadude  

justadude

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

Guy on Craigslist that is leaving for the navy and is selling his switch for 315 and cones with zelda Bomberman and no more heroes yet I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger....am I crazy

I'd wait a month for them to be more easily available in stores. The tax savings (or whatever) isn't worth losing the warranty on such a new product.

#963 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1030 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

He'd be spending $315 for something that would cost $430 + tax at retail. To me that savings is worth the month and a half loss on the 1 year warranty. 

I'll have an E please, Bob.

#964 justadude  

justadude

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

He'd be spending $315 for something that would cost $430 + tax at retail. To me that savings is worth the month and a half loss on the 1 year warranty.

Actually he loses the warranty entirely. Their hardware is warrantied for 12 months from the purchase date for the original owner, and only if purchased from authorized retailers.

http://www.nintendo....ntytext_eng.jsp

From the hardware issues I've heard about I wouldn't risk it. But that's me, and I don't care about two of those three games.

#965 mywhitenoise   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

mywhitenoise

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Actually he loses the warranty entirely. Their hardware is warrantied for 12 months from the purchase date for the original owner, and only if purchased from authorized retailers.

http://www.nintendo....ntytext_eng.jsp

From the hardware issues I've heard about I wouldn't risk it. But that's me, and I don't care about two of those three games.

I've called Nintendo for 2 joycon repairs, and they have not bothered at all to take my credit card information, or proof of receipt.  He's probably fine for the first 12 months of it's release.

Posted Image

#966 trip1eX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1548 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

You won't lose the warranty.  

I'd be worried it was stolen or something, but wouldn't worry at all about the warranty.

#967 hotwheels68  

hotwheels68

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

Warranty or not that's a great deal. Chances of it failing are less than 25% so a savings of much more is an easy buy IMO. I'd be surprised if he didn't already get a sale.

#968 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   242 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

If there are any Midwest CAGers, the Decorah, Iowa Wal-Mart has two or three Switches in their Nintendo hardware case. Only grey joycon Switch. 

The area where they keep the Nintendo hardware is basically a locked cabinet, so ask an associate to see if they are still sitting inside it.

#969 justadude  

justadude

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

I've called Nintendo for 2 joycon repairs, and they have not bothered at all to take my credit card information, or proof of receipt. He's probably fine for the first 12 months of it's release.

You won't lose the warranty.

I'd be worried it was stolen or something, but wouldn't worry at all about the warranty.

Ok then in that case it's definitely a good deal, basically getting three free games.

#970 reaperztoll  

reaperztoll

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:18 PM

Guy on Craigslist that is leaving for the navy and is selling his switch for 315 and cones with zelda Bomberman and no more heroes yet I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger....am I crazy

No, aside from Zelda there really isn't much compelling content yet. I'm keeping mine strictly because my wife is hooked on Puyo Puyo from the demo but that doesn't come out until the 25th.

Too much real life, not enough time for video games

#971 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4225 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

Just got my switch today. Had used the Wal mart app to order for on store pick up the other day. Zelda is pretty amazing so far. Have Snipperclips as well, but haven't tried it yet. Looking forward to Mario Kart in a little over a week.

StudentofTruth.png

#972 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9535 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Just got my switch today. Had used the Wal mart app to order for on store pick up the other day. Zelda is pretty amazing so far. Have Snipperclips as well, but haven't tried it yet. Looking forward to Mario Kart in a little over a week.

The open world is awesome, the quest and shrines add a different element. It's not entirely linear but the game itself is rather short, the exploration of the game makes up for it but imo falls short.

The themed dungeons, weapons along with the story are what make Zelda. I can't complain about the open world and the terrain but it could have used some more temples/dungeons with the inclusion of some more semi-permanent weapons. I'm looking at you hookshot, man I loved that thing.

#973 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   441 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:29 AM

I would rate it higher if it had 8 dungeons + Hyrule castle.  But the shrines make up for it a little bit.

#974 gi60   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1226 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

I just got the switch in Japan 2 days ago. This thing is a rarity too here in Tokyo. I'm here on vacation since the 16th and been looking for switch n famicom with no luck and alteady give up actually.

My friend asked me to get him a camera plus lenses and luckily the game n camera section is in the same floor @Labi Shinjuku. Bought the camera, lenses and Colored Joy-Con Switch. Still had about 5 grey + 3 colored when I left the place at almost 11PM.

My friend asked me to get an extra battery for his camera so I went back in the morning at 10.15, they opened at 10.30. And they're all gone.

So yeah, switch is still a must-have item here in Tokyo.

#975 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3935 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

Saw this in-stock at BestBuy 2 weeks ago, couldn't justify the purchase at the time.

Kind of wish I picked it up then, I just hope I get a console before my birthday in June.. I keep refreshing daily to see if it's in stock.

#976 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Saw this in-stock at BestBuy 2 weeks ago, couldn't justify the purchase at the time.

Kind of wish I picked it up then, I just hope I get a console before my birthday in June.. I keep refreshing daily to see if it's in stock.

Keep an eye on Walmart.  YMMV, SURE, but all the stores here have been getting a regular supply of Switch systems.  Yes they typically sell out the same day or within two days, but if you pay enough attention it's not hard to get one that way.  Thankfully my stores line up with brickseek on most everything.  So tracking that way worked.

I'm glad I got my system when I did. The thing that convinced me to go ahead and do it was that I knew I wanted to play Super Mario Odyssey at launch.  The demand later in the year (especially November and December) is going to be higher than it is now.  So there was no real reason for me to wait as I had the money easily.  I've had a great time playing Zelda & Snipperclips ... and have 5 other games preordered (Ultra SF2, MK8 Deluxe, Cave Story+, Disgaea 5 Complete, Puyo Puyo Tetris) before Mario even comes out as well as other games I'm considering.  It's kind of nice too riding the bleeding edge for a change because I won't have some massive library of games to go back and buy and collect which is  a nice change from the usual cheap way I get into systems and get in over my head with older games.

loading_icon.150d3a5a.gifLoading...

#977 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4225 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

You should also download the Wal mart app on your phone. When I got mine it wasn't available on line, and no stores around me had one, but I was able to do ship to store on the app. It took like 5 days to get here, but I got it yesterday. The Wal Mart pick up near e is kinda cool, it's just a giant locker with a keypad and your code opens a specific bay in the locker.

One good thing about these things being hard to find is that I had a chance to buy a pro controller, Zelda, and screen protectors of the past month, so I didn't need to drop the money on those all at once.

StudentofTruth.png

#978 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3935 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

You should also download the Wal mart app on your phone. When I got mine it wasn't available on line, and no stores around me had one, but I was able to do ship to store on the app. It took like 5 days to get here, but I got it yesterday. The Wal Mart pick up near e is kinda cool, it's just a giant locker with a keypad and your code opens a specific bay in the locker.

One good thing about these things being hard to find is that I had a chance to buy a pro controller, Zelda, and screen protectors of the past month, so I didn't need to drop the money on those all at once.

Yea, but I get a payment plan or points if I go through Best Buy....

Though I wish I could see if they have it instock or not.

#979 dennisb407   Orlando,FL home of mass shootings and the Orlando Tragic CAGiversary!   4896 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

3 NES showed up to the closest Target to me overnight, got there at 7am, but 3 people had been there since 3am. I just went and got my Unicorn frap from Starbucks and went to work

You will have excuse Six Min Whistle for missing your post about the Movie Pass. He has been very, very concerned about Conan's penis lately.

#980 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   441 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:08 PM

How does it go for people waiting at line before opening at a big store like Target where electronics are way at the back? Does everyone just make a mad dash as soon as the door opens or do people in line get served like a queue?

#981 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5186 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

I scored today.  I checked Brickseek and saw that the Walmart near work had two in stock (of course I was working from home today, so this was a 40 min drive), I called and they held one for me.  My 9 year old son saved up some money and gift cards for this, so we're splitting the cost.  Or, rather, he's buying a couple games and I'm footing the bill for the system.  Still...it's fun to see him excited.  :D  We're gaming buddies, the two of us.  

I get there and of course the 'too cool to talk to customers' electronics guy can't find it.  My sons all bummed out and I'm more than a little pissed.  I walked away at first, but then went back to press the issue.  I asked to talk to a manager and he went to the back, 5 minutes later he walks out with the system. 

The morale of this story is A) the hunt is kinda fun, B) it's fun to be into games with your kids and C) don't trust dopey store clerks. 

946009.png   

What? Oh hell no! Hold up. Huh? Oh okay.

#982 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   441 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

Do not judge the Walmart bottom feeders. They deal with the bottom rung of human society all day every day.  This is in addition to being treated like disposable, replaceable trash by corporate with expectations of running on an increasingly skimpy skeleton crew.  Anyone in this position given enough time will reach a point were they just don't give a Fuck.

#983 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   2936 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:46 AM

3 NES showed up to the closest Target to me overnight, got there at 7am, but 3 people had been there since 3am. I just went and got my Unicorn frap from Starbucks and went to work

That Unicorn Frap is an abomination. It in no way looks like something anyone should be ingesting.
Edit: Dear God, you said 7 am. How can one start their day that way?

metsfan754.png

#984 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2985 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

That Unicorn Frap is an abomination. It in no way looks like something anyone should be ingesting

45359057.jpg

#985 dennisb407   Orlando,FL home of mass shootings and the Orlando Tragic CAGiversary!   4896 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:20 AM

That Unicorn Frap is an abomination. It in no way looks like something anyone should be ingesting.
Edit: Dear God, you said 7 am. How can one start their day that way?

It was mango goodness topped with whipped cream

You will have excuse Six Min Whistle for missing your post about the Movie Pass. He has been very, very concerned about Conan's penis lately.

#986 dennisb407   Orlando,FL home of mass shootings and the Orlando Tragic CAGiversary!   4896 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:28 AM

Hope everyone had a good 4/20

18011124_10155308343160995_6293910249030

#987 blackbeard4886   On a Highway to Hell CAGiversary!   3112 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

blackbeard4886

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:16 AM

How can one start their day that way?

I imagine like this

Screen+shot+2010-11-25+at+13.41.20.png

#988 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   12804 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:08 PM

I just went and got my Unicorn frap from Starbucks and went to work

This is actually the first drink I've hated from Starbucks because it's so bland and tastes muted. I couldn't taste vanilla bean at all, just tasted like milk and the "sourness" is barely there. Even when you do taste it, the raspberry is watered down for an unsatisfying flavor.

Quite honestly, it looks way better than it tastes. Pink drink however is amazing.

Posted Image

#989 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1434 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

Best Buy stores are being told to hold all units for the Mario Kart launch next Friday.

#990 justadude  

justadude

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

Best Buy stores are being told to hold all units for the Mario Kart launch next Friday.

Sweet thanks!