Mass Effect Andromeda: The Next One Won't Be Better & No Patch Can Fix This

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
Some thoughts on this flaming POS before Bioware releases its so-called patch. The company claims it is working "around the clock" to address the plethora of issues plaguing the game. 

monkeys-at-typewriters.jpg

On Nov. 20, 2007, two new games were both being released at the same time: Mass Effect and Assassins Creed.

Back then I relied on IGN and Game Informer to make my decisions and both of these games were getting a ton of hype leading to their release. I didn’t know which I wanted: the stealthy assassin game or the sci-fi RPG from an up-and-coming developer.

I opted for Mass Effect, which received widespread praise for its innovative story and gameplay. Meanwhile Assassins Cred was criticized as a mediocre, repetitive game that looked really pretty.

This brought me great joy, as I made the right decision, and ever since I’ve been quite smug on having a so-called winning streak of buying games Day One that justified the full-sticker price.

Developer Bioware continued to build on the franchise with Mass Effect 2 and later Mass Effect 3. All of them are excellent, memorable games, with the last one getting dogged way more than it should.

I purchased each on Day One and the Andromeda launch soon became my most anticipated release for the 2017 calendar year. After all, how could Bioware possible mess this game up? Even if they made it Mass Effect 3.1 it would have been awesome. 

Delusional fanboys excluded, Andromeda may perhaps be the biggest flop of any AAA series sequel. Ever. It didn’t take me long to form this opinion – about 12 hours of playing it. (You can get about $30 if you trade it in at Best Buy right now).

Beyond the bugs and terrible animations, Andromeda is a game that is broken at its core, one that fails to wow the player when attempting to deliver an immersive, memorable experience.

Some have sighted a weak story, but this game could have pulled off the same exact story -- bugs and all -- if the dialogue was delivered with some effort. And, if quests, environments were actually compelling. I gave up on Andromeda when I was asked to push a button – and then scan something – for the 363rd time. 

As I right this, I am clueless as to what the names of my crew were. I remember Peebee because her name is PeeBee and because she is blue. But that’s it. I also remember shooting rocks and alien-machine-like things. I’m not entirely sure what they’re supposed to be and I don’t care to find out.

How did this happen? How did Bioware take a beloved franchise and screw it up this bad? The “expansive” open worlds merely serve as filler, there is literally nothing meaningful to do. 

I often wonder why people defend this POS and say things like, “Well this is good because next time Bioware will get it right.”

No, they won’t. And that’s a terrible silver lining because A) I sure as hell won’t be there Day One for the sequel and B) Bioware clearly didn’t learn following the fumble that was Dragon Age 2. Remember that trash? And remember how they lied when saying the tactics from Origin were making a return in Awakening?  

The sequel to Andromeda won’t be better and we’ll very likely continue to see the trend from Bioware of innovating in all the wrong ways with games that were once good.

It might be a farewell to a once powerhouse company, but, there is good news: There are always hungry developers who push their limits and innovate.

Look at Nioh. And Skylines. And the Witcher series – these are just a few examples of developers who are hungrier than those who have gained a comfortable lead from their previous, successful games.

This game was a cash grab, and it’s still in cash grabbing mode. Diehard fans oblivious to how terrible this game is will continue to fund this lousy game and prove to the delusional executives at Bioware that Andromeda was a success!

Of course, I, too, am to blame for this: I bought it Day One. But I can assure you I won’t be there for the next one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted, I ain't played ME:A yet.

But, I've soaked plenty of information on this.

First off: BioWare Montreal was the main studio in charge here w/ ME:A, not ME1+2+3 developer BioWare Edmonton. So, did we really expect that classic Edmonton greatness of character development + storytelling that we got from BG1 up to DAO here?

Also, many of the important & key staff from Edmonton is not there any more - The Two Doctors, Trent Oster, Casey Hudson, Patrick Weekes, David Gaider, Jennifer Hepler. I'm sure there's more, but that's just for starters here. So, is BioWare Edmonton even BioWare Edmonton anymore?

Each BioWare Edmonton DA + ME game has been quite a bit different.

ME1 felt more like an open-world affair RPG with shooter elements (and clunky shooter combat, since it relied too much on stats + dice-rolls); ME2 leaned more in the ME shooter/RPG direction and removed a lot of RPG elements (and is probably the best ME game in the franchise, if you ask me - it finally played + felt like a shooter); and ME3 was a lot like ME2 with combat with some tweaks (i.e. the new roll move) + put back in some RPG elements (but also had a horrible ending in the base-game) + added that ME3 Multiplayer Mode.

DAO was old-school strategy CRPG style (think BG1+2); DA2 lost a lot of the strategy-stuff + combat leaned more towards the action direction style; and DAI combined a lot of the DAO + DA2 elements that worked (overhead tac cam returned from DAO + the flashy & action-style of combat from DA2). DA:I also added an open-world structure that seems to remind me of UbiSoft's open-world affairs these days (i.e. Main Quest strings; and side-missions include collect-a-thons; MMO-style quests, "filler" quests, and "grindy" kind of quests). 

While I haven't played ME:A, it looks like ME:A has also swung in the DA:I direction of being an UbiSoft open-world style game, in some ways - even w/ a different BioWare Studio in the lead role here (BioWare Montreal).

I'm going to stop buying big budget games when they launch. I got mea and now I don't want to play it so I can wait for the improvement patches, same thing happened with ff15. If they aren't improving games after launch then they spend a month fixing problems.

I'm going to stop buying big budget games when they launch. I got mea and now I don't want to play it so I can wait for the improvement patches, same thing happened with ff15. If they aren't improving games after launch then they spend a month fixing problems.
If companies stopped releasing games in Alpha and/or Beta states, we wouldn't have this problem. The "Release now + patch later" attitude with usually high prices (i.e. full price MSRP at $60 or not much of a discount on pre-order or upon release) is usually enough to make me just wait for a few patches to at least pop-out. I have a huge backlog as is, so I ain't in a rush for buying games ASAP at high prices.

It's often best to wait for price drops and/or Complete Editions, the way it's going these days and age.

Isn't that so messed up? They literally released a broken game. Even if it gets fixed, my god were the quests soooooo boring. My breaking point came when I had to scan more stuff. And then my character just started floating and standing still. At that point I said, "F*** this game."

Went to BB, got $30 for it, and snagged Nioh. Couldn't be happier.

Bioware in general has been on the decline for a long time now. They don't make anything that excites or captures my interest anymore.

After dragon age inquisition I pretty much gave up on them. I beat it, did all the quests and such and pretty much all I can remember is it had a lot of green portals.

I hate how they shoe horn in multi-player for no real reason, they soften every entry in a series and making them more bland and sterile and safe as they go a long, and they are always buggy games that don't run very well.

Bioware in general has been on the decline for a long time now. They don't make anything that excites or captures my interest anymore.

After dragon age inquisition I pretty much gave up on them. I beat it, did all the quests and such and pretty much all I can remember is it had a lot of green portals.

I hate how they shoe horn in multi-player for no real reason, they soften every entry in a series and making them more bland and sterile and safe as they go a long, and they are always buggy games that don't run very well.
MEA was the nail in the coffin for me. DA was a total letdown, too, but the characters were at least pretty cool. IMO at least.

bread's done
Back