- - - - -

XBox One X Discussion - NOW AVAILABLE! Scorpio editions on-and-off available at Best Buy, Amazon, Target

#121 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9297 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

I personally feel like PS4 Pro vs PS4 is a joke, not worth the extra money. I really don't see this being much different.

True, the Pro isn't a huge leap from the OG PS4. That's kind of the point why this is such a big deal because they're not doing that. Microsoft made custom optimized hardware that'll work with every game even before a developer decides to support it and have a 4K/higher FPS/Scorpio, I mean Xbox One X patch. Read through the thread, it's discussed.

Spybreaker.pngJanDLC_TOY_8_TS040_14_Forza6_WM-ca08f67ecuphead_boss_by_yoselinfrankcat-dbdsrwu.oVbieaO.pngVdThmcK.jpg

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

:xbox: Call of Duty 4: MW Series, GRiD 2, Forza Horizon

:3ds: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
:D Far Cry 5, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2

#122 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

Won't be a new generation until there's Scorpio exclusive titles.

MS is done with generations. Four or five years from the release of the X1X, we'll get another new console that will likely play all the same games that we can play on the X1 now, and the new games that come out then will likely be compatible with older hardware, at least to some degree.

In 2017 and moving forward, what the consoles can and can't play has really nothing to do with what "generation" designation it falls under, just like how I can play newer computer games on (reasonably) old hardware, as well as play older games on my newer hardware. PC gamers don't worry about hard breaks and generation designations, and now consoles are moving into the same boat. The only way this changes is if the X1X completely bombs to a catastrophic degree, and at least based on preorders that doesn't seem likely to happen (that said, the X1 sold well out of the gate too, and look how that would up).

Eventually we'll start to get new games that don't work on the original X1 console, but there will be no hyped up statement from Microsoft saying "this is it, from now on games only work on the X1X" or whatever. Eventually the games that work on the original console will just slow to a trickle and then stop.
Posted Image

#123 RBK  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

Probably, but MS/Xbox as a brand isn't respected. Might not work.

#124 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9297 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:47 AM

Digital Foundry made a good video on the way people without a X will not have to download the 4K art assets, freeing up space and download time. There will also be times when you can shed some files from the game with say any unnecessary audio with other languages not needed. That and there may be an ability to separate single player and multiplayer so you could just fool around in a campaign and then later grab the multiplayer portion of the game and inversely you've been playing the game's multiplayer and you're pretty much done with the campaign so you can remove it to free up hard drive space.

Spybreaker.pngJanDLC_TOY_8_TS040_14_Forza6_WM-ca08f67ecuphead_boss_by_yoselinfrankcat-dbdsrwu.oVbieaO.pngVdThmcK.jpg

#125 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   10985 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:05 AM

Tacoma and DOOM are back on the list after being removed.

Only games that are missing right now that were mentioned before are:

Agents of Mayhem (mentioned by Volition themselves)
Battlefield 1
Cuphead (still  unsure about this anyways)
Ginger: Beyond The Crystal
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game
Observer
Pure Chess

Seems like the new COD is also guranteed to be getting the X treatment, but won't be mentioned because of marketing reasons.

... go to sleep.

#126 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9297 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

Bit more of what we know but more explanation and clarification on things. Also to note there'll be a new tab for Xbox One X Enhanced Games on Game & Apps.
https://www.youtube....h?v=A46H07thfek

Microsoft is allowing developers to use supersampling to ensure games still look better on a 1080p TV. Supersampling essentially scales down 4K image quality to a 1080p screen, so you get the benefits of texture improvements, faster framerates, and improved image quality. A 1080p supersampled image should still be a noticeable improvement over what the Xbox One S currently provides.

https://www.theverge...hanced-1080p-tv

Also there will be Xbox One X units demoing FM7 at select Best Buy's this weekend. More info here: https://www.gamespot...l/1100-6453540/

#127 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Anyone see it last weekend? Didn't seem to be a ton of locations with it set up.

edit- by strange coincidence, I checked right after posting this and they are showing it like 10 minutes away from me. Will go to check it out shortly.
Posted Image

#128 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

Just got back. Was very impressed, although they were only showing the Forza 7 demo.

Of note - they had a mock up of the console on the table so you could see how small it was. However, whatever we were actually playing on was hidden under a table or something. The one thing I didn't do that I was kicking myself for when we left was ask if it was running on a PC or maybe a non-final hardware. Not a big deal but would have been nice to know.

Only a few people gathered around so we only had to wait a minute to play. F7 looked quite remarkable, and it was actually running on a 2016 model television (Sony XBR series, 60 inch), so those buying a new TV now for this thing should be even more impressed. Some girl behind us asked the guy why Playstation had better exclusives haha. Guy was smooth enough to provide an answer at least.

The MS rep wanted to take a selfie with me and my friend for some reason...hope it doesn't show up on the Microsoft site tomorrow or something  :mrgreen:

Got some free stuff also.

Spoiler

Posted Image

#129 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6277 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

What was his response?

#130 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9297 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:32 AM

Nice, free swag! They probably had the unit far from the ability of being stolen hidden and locked away lol.

#131 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

What was his response?

I don't remember it verbatim but if it's basically the same kind of thing that Phil says when asked. Says he knows stuff is coming that isn't announced yet, people will gravitate to the most powerful console which will make developers want to make stuff for it, etc. Nothing new.
Posted Image

#132 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11212 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:09 AM

The reason Sony has better exclusives is easy. Sony actually invest in studios.

Deader2818.png

#133 RBK  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

Personal preference.

#134 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

Month to go.

Posted Image

#135 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

Pretty good comparison video giving some realistic expectations...

Posted Image

#136 vwbeetlvr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   334 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

vwbeetlvr

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:44 AM

I ordered my project scorpio from Amazon literally 30 seconds before it was announced on the live stream, I had found it via search.

The order has said from the beginning:

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

It also doesn't say project scorpio edition until you click on the link. I wonder if I should contact Amazon about it or just not touch the order. I tried updating a Best Buy order for a project scorpio and it got cancelled on me.

538006.png

#137 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:05 AM

The delivery estimate thing is pretty typical, wouldn't worry about that.

As far as it being the Scorpio, no idea. If you ordered it before it was "officially" up you may want to contact them to confirm. I'd assume you're fine as is, but can't hurt to check.

Posted Image

#138 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   10985 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

I compiled a list of games that have PS4 Pro Patches but do not have a X patch ATM. If I am missing titles feel free to correct me. Also as of note, BLOPS3 and BF1 were rumored to have patches but are no longer on xbox.com list. I've compared my list to the xbox.com list as of today. Things can change in the next week or two.

This list is for those that might want to hold off on buying the game till it gets patched or would rather be better off bought on PC/PS4 Pro considering enhancements will be better there.

Spoiler

Edit: Here's a interview with respawn on Titanfall 2 running on the X. TDLR:60fps at all times at the cost of resolution via dynamic scaling. Also will have HDR.

... go to sleep.

#139 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   10985 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:12 PM

https://news.xbox.co...hoto_lrn_11.1.4

Witcher 3 X patch interview.

... go to sleep.

#140 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3359 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

has anyone gotten the active offer coupon from gamestop to trade in Xbox One S for 150$? It is supposed to show up today but no luck.

76561198023547234.png

Kamagii.png

#141 dennisb407   Banned CAGiversary!   5079 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

has anyone gotten the active offer coupon from gamestop to trade in Xbox One S for 150$? It is supposed to show up today but no luck.

Same here.

#142 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

I didn't get anything from GS.

A few days away now. Taco Bell winners got their boxes over the last day or two.

Posted Image

#143 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10462 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Titanfall 2

Gears 4

Here's Gears 4 on an X at 1080p. Looks really good.

http://xboxdvr.com/g.../video/38679466

Posted Image

#144 gogomo  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

For XB1X owners:

This may seem like a weird question, but I am really curious.  In the Settings, on the XB1 (not the XB1X) we can choose to not download 4k updates.  Is that option available in the Settings menu on the XB1X?

Theoretically if someone was only interested in the faster load times and more RAM on the XB1X, and didn't care too much about the higher res graphics, I wonder if they can opt to not download the 4k assets.

#145 Z-Saber   Dancing is about butts now CAGiversary!   5588 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

I don't believe that's possible as mentioned by the lucky few who have them already, and I think they've (Microsoft) been straightforward about that before.

XBL: Z 5aber

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/z_saber

Uplay: Z-Saber

Origin: Z_Saber_64

Battle.net BattleTag: Zsaber#11913

PSN: Zsaber64

#146 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9297 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

For XB1X owners:

This may seem like a weird question, but I am really curious.  In the Settings, on the XB1 (not the XB1X) we can choose to not download 4k updates.  Is that option available in the Settings menu on the XB1X?

Theoretically if someone was only interested in the faster load times and more RAM on the XB1X, and didn't care too much about the higher res graphics, I wonder if they can opt to not download the 4k assets.

If you have the Xbox One X then you're downloading the 4K assets. That's the reason you bought the system. It is a nice addition to the Xbox family that it's an option. That's a way to keep the Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X all playing nicely frankly.

#147 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2452 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

I might consider a OneX in a year or two, after the price has shaved down a little bit, and theoretically after I've acquired a 4K TV. I'm not in a hurry for the 4K shift. My living room isn't that large, or that deep, and I'm a bit limited in how far from the screen I can sit. As such, I'm limited on how large of a screen I can put in that space. Given the circumstances, there is such a thing as TOO big. And while 4K is great, it is also much more noticeable and useful for larger screens.

I've been intentionally holding out until OLED technology matures and comes down in price. I saw an OLED screen years ago and was so impressed with the contrast ratio that I knew that was the upgrade I wanted. But the price is a tad bit prohibitive, so I'm just biding my time. The technology has been steadily improving, and some of the latest OLED screens are thinner, sharper, and more efficient with considerably less burn-in risk. In a year or two the price will get to the point where I would not feel bad about picking up a 55" screen. When that happens, a OneX with it's 4K Blu Ray player would be a welcome addition.

#148 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9297 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:58 AM

Dat BC upgrades

#149 360maniac_com   Old Skool CAGiversary!   69 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

360maniac_com

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Well I broke down and got a Target pre-order after I said I wouldn't. If I can get Forza 7 cheap I might keep it.

Find cheap xbox 360 games at 360maniac.com.

#150 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9297 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:36 AM

4K, HDR, Supersampling and all that jazz.

https://news.xbox.co...-supersampling/