- - - - -

XBox One X Discussion - Now available

#31 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16932 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

This is the first major console reveal (sort of) that I don't care about.  Give me games or go home with your tail between your legs.  I'm a diehard Xbox guy, but Sony is kicking the sharts out of Xbox at every step this gen.  Focusing on specs as the big thing is a bad move, imo. 

I guess it depends what kind of games you're into. Between the EA Access program (which Sony doesn't have) and the ever increasing backward compatibility list, I feel like Microsoft's offerings are very strong. Those may not be exclusive games per se...but moreso the manner in which you receive your games. I'd give Microsoft a definite edge in that category.

That said, I do wish we'd see a new Alan Wake...and for the love of God, a real baseball game on the One.

• Spybreak9 likes this

#32 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

I thought this was a good write-up on the musings of Scorpio.

https://www.trueachi...project-scorpio

#33 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

I guess it depends what kind of games you're into. Between the EA Access program (which Sony doesn't have) and the ever increasing backward compatibility list, I feel like Microsoft's offerings are very strong. Those may not be exclusive games per se...but moreso the manner in which you receive your games. I'd give Microsoft a definite edge in that category.

That said, I do wish we'd see a new Alan Wake...and for the love of God, a real baseball game on the One.

If you want to play old games (ea access,bc) go xbox. If you want new games and experience you go with Sony.

#34 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6431 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

I thought this was a good write-up on the musings of Scorpio.

https://www.trueachi...project-scorpio

Good article and I do hope it will be priced at $400, but I doubt it given they have already made the distinction that this is going to be a premium console with a premium price. I think releasing the specs now is just a PR move to make the consumer understand what they are getting when the higher price is eventually unveiled at E3. 

#35 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16932 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:58 PM

If you want to play old games (ea access,bc) go xbox. If you want new games and experience you go with Sony.

Right...old games. Because it's not like both systems haven't been littered with remakes and rereleases that nobody wants (Uncharted, Halo, Kingdom Hearts, Gears of War, God of War, Resident Evils, etc).

EA Access gives you all of EA's sports games 6 months after release. For most sports, the season is still going at that point. And when they're added, the physical release usually still has solid trade in value. For example, with Gamers Club, I paid $48 plus tax for NHL 17 in September. When it was added to EA Access a couple weeks ago, I traded the physical disc into GameStop for $30.25. That's a 6 month rental for about $20...while still retaining possession of the game. EA Access is an incredible value in that regard.

I mostly appreciate it from a PC gamer's perspective. At some point, I don't want to keep buying the same games over and over with each passing "generation". Games I buy on Steam don't stop working because I get a new video card. And if that's what Microsoft is working toward, they will have a huge advantage moving forward.

#36 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Good article and I do hope it will be priced at $400, but I doubt it given they have already made the distinction that this is going to be a premium console with a premium price. I think releasing the specs now is just a PR move to make the consumer understand what they are getting when the higher price is eventually unveiled at E3.

Mm, I think it's also to get the word officially out there before it leaked from the developers who would be using the dev kits. That and to build up hype for devs too, to get studios wanting to make games for the system or to play around with it to see what they can pull off (what kind of game do we want to make, that sort of thing).

#37 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6431 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

Mm, I think it's also to get the word officially out there before it leaked from the developers who would be using the dev kits. That and to build up hype for devs too, to get studios wanting to make games for the system or to play around with it to see what they can pull off (what kind of game do we want to make, that sort of thing).

Could be but they already have a video from last year E3 where they have all the developers talking about the Scorpio specs and how they are excited for it. 

#38 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:35 AM

Could be but they already have a video from last year E3 where they have all the developers talking about the Scorpio specs and how they are excited for it. 

Now they're getting the physical hardware, the DF guy was able to check out, and keep, the chipset, that they've produced to run those numbers. Before they were just given numbers and most likely just beefy dev boxes that were high end PC towers to start working on their games. Sure a PR move but I think they want to get devs excited about their promise being delivered.

Remember the dev kits for Durango?

Spoiler

"Extra reading"

http://www.ign.com/a...s-talks-scorpio

Edited by Spybreak9, 09 April 2017 - 03:40 AM.

#39 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10534 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

If you care about neat performance improvements for a very narrow section of consumers (ie those that have screens that support FreeSync)

#40 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

Narrow section of consumers, though it's trying to help future-proof when it's not a narrow section of customers.

PS3 and the BD drive, another example of that. 

#41 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:51 PM

Every week that goes by Sony is gaining more and more traction because of all the good exclusives that have come out in during the last several months.   The Switch is selling like gangbusters and will continue to do so with Mariokart coming out on Friday and a few other exclusives coming out later in the year.  Scorpio already seems like yesterday's news that's not coming out until Christmas.  I don't see MS doing anything new and innovative to separate themselves from its competitors.   With every new console announcement it just seems like it's a better idea to buy a PC.  I really don't know what MS is going to do at this point.  Most people are going to go "oh hey, the Scorpio is pretty cool" but then not buy one. 

#42 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:59 AM

It's very common that not a lot happens before E3 - although Voodoo Vince just came out aside from them mentioning Game Pass is also in the works (available to Xbox Insider Members atm). Microsoft wants to get ahead of leaks, considering that's always the biggest weakness that Microsoft has to worry about, and get people buzzing about their mid-gen refresh console so not surprising they're not going to show games running on it. Hell, the beginning of this gen cycle nobody knew what the damn console from Sony & Microsoft would look like as that was a tight lipped secret. Eh, everybody's waiting for E3, that's where they're planning to have the big whabam presentation.

"I don't see MS doing anything new and innovative to separate themselves from its competitors"

Yeah, they've built onto the chip itself to optimize graphical horsepower, processor and memory usage and then will optimize first party games with software optimization as well - all with a goal of reaching 4K 60 fps (which has been done with a simple Forza 6 port). You get 4, not 2, free games with GwG. You can also play your old Xbox 360 games on your newer Xbox One console via Backwards Compatibility free. With Game Pass you'll be able to not stream, but download any game that's in that particular collection for a subscription service ...but that's nothing new.

• shrike4242 likes this

#43 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:23 AM

A lot of people dont know or care about 4k is the problem and the people that do will be on PC anyways.

And playing old games? Thats cool and all but when will they make NEW games?

#44 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

^E3, answers both those sentences.
  • shrike4242 likes this

#45 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10534 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

The Switch is selling like gangbusters and will continue to do so with Mariokart coming out on Friday and a few other exclusives coming out later in the year. 

You're putting a lot of confidence in a company that always seems to "start strong" and then wind up with a console that no one gives a shit about 18 months later.

#46 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6431 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Don't forget Microsoft Press Conference is at 3pm mountain time today. I'm excited to see more about Bioware Anthem. Also the Xbox Scorpio is mostly likely going to be priced at $499 according to Geoff Keighly.

#47 RBK  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

I'm OK with paying $500, but expecting a lower price point than that.

#48 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6431 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:33 PM

Amazon place holder link:

https://www.amazon.c...ds=xbox scorpio

I'm hoping for a Gamestop tradein deal.

#49 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6431 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

I'm OK with paying $500, but expecting a lower price point than that.

The price is $499. Geoff saw the price during rehearsal. Not sure why he announced it unless he got permission from Microsoft.

#50 Hatpocalypse   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   16 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Hatpocalypse

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Not saying that he's incorrect, but Geoff wasn't at the Microsoft rehearsal. The rehearsal he was referring to was his own show, YouTube Live @ E3.

#51 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6431 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Apparently from a Best Buy leak the official name of the console is Xbox Scorpio.

#52 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

well isn't that anticlimactic. 

#53 RBK  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

Not a bad name if true.

#54 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6431 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

Offical names is Xbox One X.
  • Spybreak9 likes this

#55 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10534 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:17 AM

500 bucks is what I expected. Was disappointing to see people being attention whores and "leaking" lower prices since it built up unrealistic expectations. That said, you can't do a premium console at a bargain basement price or you end up with the PS4 Pro.

Not sure I'm buying day 1, but will definitely buy at some point.

• Spybreak9 likes this

#56 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:34 AM

Offical names is Xbox One X.

Good news everyone. It's time for an upgrade.

225px-1-X.jpg

Lol, is what I think of everytime I read Xbox One X.

An impressive console, liquid cooling too, wow.

• David Hibiki likes this

#57 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10534 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:26 AM

Funny enough they can't actually sell preorders yet because the FCC hasn't approved the console.

sujl6HD.png

#58 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:32 AM

FYI a good amount of info: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one-x

#59 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10534 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:34 AM

Adding that to OP. I want to see that thing next to an S to get a size idea.

• David Hibiki and Spybreak9 like this

#60 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10534 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:15 AM

Mild relief for Canadians - http://mobilesyrup.c...tform=hootsuite

Only 599. Most people were expecting at least 50-70 dollars more.