* * - - - 6 votes

Nes classic in stock at Walmart ymmv

#61 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4687 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

At the end of the day, "N" is probably looking to charge fans again for those same 8-Bit games, so them ending production should not surprise anyone, as there is more money to be made selling these individual games, than including 30 in a all-in-one device. Also, since it is rather easy to hack, I'm sure that may be another factor in all of this.

I personally think with the prices these still command on Ebay and other markets, it's insanity to not supply locations until demand is gone, but I rarely if ever see "N" make great business decisions, so this is just another poor one in a rather already long line.

#62 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   12816 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Underpaid employees who don't give a shit. What else is there to know?

In other news, glad to see that as the systems trickle out Nintendo still can't be bothered to ship any fucking CONTROLLERS. That's just great.

Honestly, there are far better options for controllers if you're willing to search/spend a little more. Wii Classic/Pro controllers are excellent and $20 used from GameStop if you're able to find them. If wireless is your thing, get the 8bitdo and don't look back. Both will support a modded system with the extra buttons required to play the games as well. Be advised you will need to config the D-pad through Retroarch menus if you get an 8bitdo, though.

Posted Image

#63 CappinA   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

I can confirm, and the Brickseek number appears to have been accurate for me. When I arrived there was a guy buying one at the counter. There were none on the self, so I asked the customer service rep at the electronics counter. He smiled and pointed to a box behind the counter containing three. The policy at the store was one per person, but the manager made an exception when I made the truthful appeal that I was buying one for myself and one for my future brother-in-law as a wedding gift. Good hunting!

#64 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11831 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

Well, I finally picked one up for myself last night. (The other I got at launch for my sis in law for xmas)

After checking every hour, a bunch of stores started showing stock. One store was at zero half an hour later, while another still showed 6 when I got there. Kid in electronics said they hadn't had any since Christmas. I had him scan the shelf tag and it showed 6 in stock. Had a manager called eventually, due to the lack of help I was getting.

Manager managed to "find" 1 in the back, saying it was stashed in the back. He couldnt find any more. Two hours later, BS showed 2 more had sold, this morning all sold out.

I'm thoroughly convinced employees were holding them for themselves, especially after last night's ordeal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#65 hiflyer555   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   38 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

hiflyer555

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

Managed to find one myself! Brickseek was clutch for me. Local Walmart showed 2 in stock, but when I went in to ask, lady was adamant that they didn't have any, and didn't want to check the back. BS only popped up with them early this morning, so perhaps they weren't unloaded/in the system yet.

Anyway, I saw a Walmart a couple towns over had 5 in stock. I called, and the super-friendly lady said she just checked them in, and had already had a couple calls about them this morning. I rushed over and got one. BS was accurate for this store - she had 5, and I made it to buy the first one. Good luck to everyone hunting one down!

Edit - this is in East Texas. Several random Walmarts showing various amounts of stock today on BS.

#66 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1146 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Got one at Target today. Brickseek redeemed itself after a dud last week. Odd shopping experience though--Brickseek showed 5, and there were none to be found in the store. I asked the clerk in electronics if they had any and he said "yep, right here" and he unlocked the cabinet under the register and pulled one out. No units were visible in the store--so how are they supposed to sell any?

#67 thormx3467  

thormx3467

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

Stopped by Target today because I needed a new polo for work. Decided to browse the electronics section just out of curiosity and I couldn't believe it when I saw one sitting in the case, and neither could the employee when I asked him to get it for me. So glad the search for one of these is over. Check brickseek for your local Targets. I checked when I got back in the car and brickseek was correct on this Target having one. There's about another 4 stores in a 30 mile radius of this one that say they have one in stock too.20170410_152123_HDR.jpg

#68 musicman65000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   189 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

musicman65000

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

If anyone is in the Worcester, Mass area, there is one more left in the Target at 529 Lincoln St. I just scooped up one. It's behind the counter where they sell the phones. Just ask an associate! Happy hunting!

The "change" that I believe in is the coin saved at CAG!8-)

#69 musicman65000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   189 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

musicman65000

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Also, they have a pretty good clearance section at the Worcester, MA Target. I managed to scoop up:

XBox One

Mega Man Legacy Collection - 5.98

Toy Soldiers: War Chest Hall of Fame - 5.98

Geometry Wars 3 - 5.98

PS4

Life is Strange - 5.98

Far Cry 4 Complete Edition - 11.98 :D/

The "change" that I believe in is the coin saved at CAG!8-)

#70 Jawwaad1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   812 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Jawwaad1

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

Although listed as discontinued in the Target system, the Target I work for received 5 last week and 5 today. Also talked to the Nintendo rep today and he confirmed that Nintendo planned to discontinue the NES Classic this summer but due to inventory mismanagement during the holiday season, they have scrapped that plan for the time being. Might be why Target is getting them again.

Just wondering though how some of these eBay sellers are getting so many. This one has sold over 188 and 26 in the past 24 hours.
http://www.ebay.com/...YIAAOSw5cNYMQMy

This one has sold over 67
http://www.ebay.com/...LIAAOSwx6pYn44J

These resellers can't just be going store to store picking them up.

#71 Cloudx9  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Although listed as discontinued in the Target system, the Target I work for received 5 last week and 5 today. Also talked to the Nintendo rep today and he confirmed that Nintendo planned to discontinue the NES Classic this summer but due to inventory mismanagement during the holiday season, they have scrapped that plan for the time being. Might be why Target is getting them again.

Just wondering though how some of these eBay sellers are getting so many. This one has sold over 188 and 26 in the past 24 hours.
http://www.ebay.com/...YIAAOSw5cNYMQMy

This one has sold over 67
http://www.ebay.com/...LIAAOSwx6pYn44J

These resellers can't just be going store to store picking them up.

They obviously had connections somewhere. To top it off, how did they sell so many despite charging so much more $$$ vs the average price on Ebay. He's still selling them quickly at $140 when current avg price is around $110.

#72 Jawwaad1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   812 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Jawwaad1

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

They obviously had connections somewhere. To top it off, how did they sell so many despite charging so much more $$$ vs the average price on Ebay. He's still selling them quickly at $140 when current avg price is around $110.

Definitely a connection. And we wonder why stores only get 5 at a time then there are many more sellers on EBay that have sold 50+. Nintendo might be pumping these out more than we think but people are getting a straight connect from who knows where, maybe a retailer's warehouse, and putting them straight on eBay.

#73 NIU_Huskies   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   18 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

NIU_Huskies

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

I was able to get the last one at a nearby Walmart on Saturday and then when I was at Target today I saw two more and picked up another one. I'll hold onto the extra in case I want to give it as a gift or sell it if it shoots up in value.

#74 mackie619   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   216 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

mackie619

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

Definitely a connection. And we wonder why stores only get 5 at a time then there are many more sellers on EBay that have sold 50+. Nintendo might be pumping these out more than we think but people are getting a straight connect from who knows where, maybe a retailer's warehouse, and putting them straight on eBay.

Earlier in the year I was trying to troll a Craigslist scalper and he inadvertently admitted he worked at target and was "living the life so jokes on you". I wonder if this will still be hoarded if and when the snes classic comes out

#75 zeb06   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2002 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

Thanks OP, 1 store near me got 5 and held one for me.

793315.png

#76 Cloudx9  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

Earlier in the year I was trying to troll a Craigslist scalper and he inadvertently admitted he worked at target and was "living the life so jokes on you". I wonder if this will still be hoarded if and when the snes classic comes out

100% will happen, we've also seen plenty of other rare items where someone on Ebay managed to have over 100 to sell.

#77 Jawwaad1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   812 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Jawwaad1

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

It weird how different Target's are different in their policy. Some are lax and some are strict. A item must be on the sales floor for 15 minutes before a employee can even think about buying it. My Target, an employee took one out of the sales case after 11 minutes of it being on the sales floor, went to punch out for his break, bought it, and 2 days later, was put on a final warning for misuse of buying procedures all due to him using his discount which sent a red flag to AP. They reviewed his purchase and saw it was taken out 4 minutes before he was allowed to. If the Super NES rumors are true, if Nintendo is smart, they are producing them now to get ready for the holiday season.

#78 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:17 AM

It weird how different Target's are different in their policy. Some are lax and some are strict. A item must be on the sales floor for 15 minutes before a employee can even think about buying it. My Target, an employee took one out of the sales case after 11 minutes of it being on the sales floor, went to punch out for his break, bought it, and 2 days later, was put on a final warning for misuse of buying procedures all due to him using his discount which sent a red flag to AP. They reviewed his purchase and saw it was taken out 4 minutes before he was allowed to. If the Super NES rumors are true, if Nintendo is smart, they are producing them now to get ready for the holiday season.

All this talk of an SNES classic may at one point made sense but I don't think so anymore.  Nintendo may be of the mind now that it has to get the Switch into people's hands, and one of the most enticing features of that system will be the virtual console.  I expect they'll stop selling the NES classic pretty soon, and that the SNES classic - if there is one - won't be for a VERY long time.  No point in cannibalizing sales for the Switch at this point.

The more Switches Nintendo sells, the better for its bottomline and future profits to sell games.  The Classic line is a one-time sell.  

You HAVE to think the NES Classic's days are numbered.

HENSHIN A GO GO BABY!

161803_s.gif   200.gif

#79 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   710 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:27 AM

I worked at toys r us in the late 90s. They were just stealing the rare stuff to flip. Thieves all around. The ole put in the garbage bag and switch out the trash bags pick up after work trick. Santa every night.

#80 theheroweneed  

theheroweneed

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:44 AM

Eh, if I don't get a Classic then I don't get a Classic. I'm not gonna get "tricked" into buying a Switch because they stop producing the Classic. Nintendo has no idea what the Fuck they're doing. I expect them to last maybe two more generations.

#81 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

Eh, if I don't get a Classic then I don't get a Classic. I'm not gonna get "tricked" into buying a Switch because they stop producing the Classic. Nintendo has no idea what the Fuck they're doing. I expect them to last maybe two more generations.

Two more?  I see Nintendo being always around -- what I don't see is them being a console manufacturer for much past this generation.  The Switch could still become the company's last console.  It's sold well out of the gate, but it's still a HUGE questionmark whether it sells gangbusters like the Wii or the DS family.

Even if Switch does sell moderately well, you have to look at where the industry is headed and really start to question whether making a proprietary console makes even remotely good business sense.  PS4 and Xbone are pretty much stock PCs with little to no actual custom hardware.  Even the Switch has been shown by Digital Foundry to be pretty much a re-skinned Shield with a basic Tegra 1 chip.

In short, we're all headed for a marketplace where the console itself isn't going to matter because everyone will be running on the same OS; basically, the console is going the way of the bluray player.  What exactly is the point of owning the hardware at that point ... ? Sure, you control the ecosystem, and may be that can matter, but it'll be a tough question whether millions of people will still be willing to pay the barrier of entry for a Nintendo machine.  

If that number keeps dropping - which it has for the Big N - the point of spending money to go through the trouble may soon just not be worth it from a profitability standpoint vs. selling your software to tens of millions of players WITHOUT having to take the risk and expend the resources to manufacture/worry about hitting sufficient penetration numbers.

Sega obviously comes to mind, and sure, the company struggled early on, but it has also done well to diversify and evolve.  It now owns Atlus, which makes the most popular JRPG today, and its Yakuza games are easily among the most dominant games in Japan.  They haven't quite got Sonic right (still) -- but then, one might say Sonic was never really that good to begin with compared with Super Mario.

HENSHIN A GO GO BABY!

161803_s.gif   200.gif

#82 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   12816 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

All this talk of an SNES classic may at one point made sense but I don't think so anymore.  Nintendo may be of the mind now that it has to get the Switch into people's hands, and one of the most enticing features of that system will be the virtual console.  I expect they'll stop selling the NES classic pretty soon, and that the SNES classic - if there is one - won't be for a VERY long time.  No point in cannibalizing sales for the Switch at this point.

Lol, if it did cannibalize sales for the Switch, they have much bigger issues.

I'm kind of indifferent at this point whether they make one or not since modding my NESC. The only reason I could see for getting an SNESC would be expanded memory and hardware to potentially run N64/Playstation games smoothly. Even then I'm kind of meh on that point since I still own PS1/N64, but I suppose having instant access to those library of games could be appealing. Will really hinge on what modders can do TBH.

Posted Image

#83 RagManX   Complete Doofus CAGiversary!   152 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

Derp edit: Wrong thread.

http://politiciansmisbehaving.com/ - What's wrong with them?

#84 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

Lol, if it did cannibalize sales for the Switch, they have much bigger issues.

I think it absolutely cannibalizes sales.  It made sense during the holidays because Nintendo had nothing new to offer its customers.  The NESC was a last ditch product to try and make some revenue until the Switch launched this year.  

Now, with the Switch in the wild, and Nintendo needing to get as much software and services on the machine to entice buyers outside its hardcore loyalists, the NESC simply offers an alternative that harms Switch sales.  Nintendo is much better off trying to up-sell a Switch to any interested NESC buyer as that opens the door for them to sell them more software.  An NESC is a flat $60 with no hopes of selling more software to the buyer.

Nintendo is a software company.  It needs to sell games and have channels to do that.  The NESC is a toy but one that sells buyers games Nintendo is better off selling gamers through a Switch so it can sell them a whole bunch of other stuff digitally.

Nintendo needs all the help it can get to get buyers on the virtual online service - removing the NESC is just smart business at this point.  

Same reason why an SNES classic doesn't make sense.  Also, given how the 16 bit games have just generally aged better, I suspect the SNES classic - if there ever is one - will be much tougher to crack, starting with no USB outlet.

HENSHIN A GO GO BABY!

161803_s.gif   200.gif

#85 theheroweneed  

theheroweneed

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

They never release games on the Virtual Console though. They have no idea what they're doing.

#86 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   136 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

They're completely different markets. There is very little overlap between the buyers who will pay several hundred dollars for a Switch and then $5-10 per classic title and the buyers who would have dropped $60 on impulse, or as a gift, during the holidays. Keeping the Classic line gives them two different revenue streams; dropping it would only eliminate their presence in the "toy" market entirely.

Just another reason their handling of the Classic was so incredibly shortsighted. Whatever you believe their intentions for it as a product line were, they completely blew the only time of year its target customer is out in force. Holiday shoppers would have been picking one up every second if they had been stacked up near department-store checkouts. That type of customer is not going to be upsold to a Switch to satisfy the same nostalgic pang.

An NESC is a flat $60 with no hopes of selling more software to the buyer.

A flaw in their design process to go along with their flawed marketing plan. If they had allowed it to download further titles, there's your gateway to another software revenue stream - again, from an entirely different customer base than the one willing to pay proper console money at entry.

Nintendo is a software company.  It needs to sell games and have channels to do that.

Would that they were, along with the many voices out there screaming for them to just make games for the better-established platforms out there. The unfortunate truth is, they insist on remaining a HARDWARE company and attempting to take a cut not just from their software sales, but also sales of each new ill-advised console platform. You can bet there was a healthy margin built into the Classic at $60, particularly when they obviously didn't even expect to sell that many. They want to profit off their new Switch, sure, but as long as there are sales to be had on the low end they shouldn't be turning their nose up at them either.

#87 TheSmokingPun   Archduke of KC CAGiversary!   655 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

TheSmokingPun

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

Eh, I dunno about that. The market for both the Switch and NESC right now is us, the traditional buyer, the must have hot tech people, and your average joe who upgrades his phone every time Apple releases this year's new iPhone or iPad. That last market is the big one right now, mobile games are hitting a weird plateau because of space like I said in another thread, and it's going to possible hurt that market more than help as the tech in the phones go up. The internal space just isn't unless you have a slot to upgrade, which guess what you can't do on iOS stuff.

The Switch is going right after the casual, mobile, and easy going console gamer, and it's a trifecta that I truly think could make this thing more memorable than the Wii, simply because it isn't really all that gimmicky at all. Look at someone like my mother, who travels all the time for work, she'd love to pop into some Mario Kart or Dr. Mario, but her eyesight has always been awful, so the 3DS was never an option. Meanwhile, she's enjoyed playing the Tetris demo from time to time, and is excited to just borrow my Switch while laying back on the couch while watching TV.

#88 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4687 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

I think it absolutely cannibalizes sales.  It made sense during the holidays because Nintendo had nothing new to offer its customers.  The NESC was a last ditch product to try and make some revenue until the Switch launched this year.  

I very much believe in their minds they do see the mini as hurting VC sales, and if the VC was worth a damn, it may. I 100% believe "N" would sale all digital all the time if they could, as that is all profits all the time, where physical requires so many more moving parts that cut in to profits at the end of their day.

They never release games on the Virtual Console though. They have no idea what they're doing.

Considering how void the NS release schedule is for most of the year, the VC should have been their main focus past Zelda to provide games for their new system, but they really have no clue when it comes almost anything. SNK is selling old NeoGeo games to people who are desperate for cheap fun games to play, and "N" is nowhere to be found(what a surprise). You release a system with almost no support, you have a rich history of 30+ years of games, and none are anywhere to be found at launch? More funds left on the table, where now your selling an all in one device that gives fans 30 games, or hundreds if they are so inclined to do so, and the machine that you need to have succeed is left with nothing? Yeah, I agree they are beyond clueless.

They're completely different markets. There is very little overlap between the buyers who will pay several hundred dollars for a Switch and then $5-10 per classic title and the buyers who would have dropped $60 on impulse, or as a gift, during the holidays. Keeping the Classic line gives them two different revenue streams; dropping it would only eliminate their presence in the "toy" market entirely.

I said the same thing yesterday, as I don't think the bulk of those people buying a mini, give much thought or care to the NS. My wife grew up with the NES, and it was her families first gaming system. During the holidays she loved to sit and play some of the games she grew up with on the mini. As for the NS, if not for my son bringing it up every 5 minutes(because he wants one), she would have no clue what it is, or why she should want one, it's just not a factor. The mini she may have bought for a trip down memory lane, while the NS has nothing she cares about.

For them to stop the mini, is cutting off a cash flow, they probably won't get once it's gone, as those markets are very different. Just from a price point, their is a huge void between the two, and a $60 device is never going to sale in the same market as a $300 one, it's just not. Those same fanboys who are willing to give "N" the same funds again and again for the same games across many devices are the NS crowd. Those people who want some classic games, and don't want to buy games over and over for different gaming systems are the mini market.

I don't believe they will keep both going, as I do believe they don't want the mini around long term, but that would be just another bad choice in an already rather long line of bad choices, so nothing new to see here. Just more of the "N" norm.

#89 Cnstntidnty  

Cnstntidnty

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

Are you writing your thesis on Nintendo? Holy sh*t, every f#kin thread.

We get it. You know a better way to run their business than they do.

#90 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4687 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:06 PM

Are you writing your thesis on Nintendo? Holy sh*t, every f#kin thread.

We get it. You know a better way to run their business than they do.

You spend time out of your day to read my thesis, and then comment on it. As you have done several times in just the last few pages. So I would say your pretty interested, otherwise, why would you bother to read my work, and then comment?

I have the same user Avatar and user name, as they never change, so If my work was bad, why would you not ignore it? Thanks for the support, as it's greatly appreciated.