Best coffee?

justadude

CAGiversary!
What's the best coffee shop in your humble opinion?

What's crap and overrated?

What brand do you buy for home use?

Keurig vs automatic drip vs pour over vs French press etc.,

Why do you not drink coffee (if not)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a coffee person but i guess the one they serve in The Coffee Bean taste okay :D I like cold drinks though.. Iced Tea and Cold Choco :p

do you mean like coffee beans to grind, or prepackaged pre grinded coffee brands, or prepared coffee shop coffee?
I fixed the OP - might as well mentioned either? I myself prefer to make mine at home using locally roasted brands, such as Pierce Brother's. But if I'm buying coffee at a chain I settle for Starbucks.

That's not really coffee is it?

I guess we don't have a lot of passionate coffee drinkers on here.
Well, they have their own brand. They tell you to mix in coconut oil and grass fed butter to the coffee. Sounds good but way too much work for a cup of coffee imo.

Joe Coffee NYC has the best espresso around. Too bad I don't live in NYC, but we go to Joe on every trip there. Grumpy Coffee is also really good. I order beans for home from counterculture and make it with an aeropress.

Medium Folgers coffee. I can't remember the last time I ran out of that stuff, I drink maybe 3 or 4 cups a day. I use an antique looking stove top coffee percolator. Sometimes when I go to the store I'll buy those Java Monsters, mainly because they taste good.

Medium Folgers coffee. I can't remember the last time I ran out of that stuff, I drink maybe 3 or 4 cups a day. I use an antique looking stove top coffee percolator. Sometimes when I go to the store I'll buy those Java Monsters, mainly because they taste good.
Now that is old school!

I like Dutch Bros., but Panera coffee is pretty good too.
I've never tried Dutch Bros but around here the Panera seems to have watery tasting coffee.

Companies that sell mass-market coffee usually roast coffee beans too much and you feel only bitterness.

I would recommend you to choose Arabica and prefer small roasting companies. They care a lot about the flavor and quality of coffee beans. 

When buying coffee pay attention to these details: 

1. Choose the beans that were grown on the height at least 1.5km 
2. Country of origin should be mentioned on the package
3. The degree of roasting and drying method should be mentioned on the package

Usually, mass-market sellers don't include this kind of information on the package, so if you see smth like this buy it. 
Don't forget to mention how you will brew the coffee, the seller will help you to choose the right sort.

I buy Foundation coffee, but it's a local company and I bet you won't find it in your country. 

Home roaster here. Prepare for immense snobbery. 

I love buying green beans from The Coffee Project or Sweet Maria's, then roasting my own. It's actually shockingly easy, and you've always got really fresh, great coffee. It also costs a fraction of the price. 

Any of the grocery store brands are going to be terrible, and if you're after just having a good cup, try local spots that aren't chains. If you're not a hardcore coffee person, maybe start with a latte to get a feel for the quality and if it gets you off, or if you're braver, order an espresso or black coffee. It'll give you the truest flavor of the coffee itself.  Lots of coffee shops you'll find roast their own, so if you warm up to one place, see if they sell, or ask where they get their coffee roasted.  Most places are pretty cool about sharing the info. 

If you're like my wife, and you dump a bunch of flavored creamer in your coffee, other than defending yourself from the risk of domestic violence, you should just buy any old brand from Costco, Starbucks, Peet's, or whatever. 

I'm in Oregon, which benefits from a lot of the Seattle coffee scene spillover, and we have some great shops in our area. Stumptown is well regarded, Spella, Water Avenue are all very local, but well thought of.  

I'll do drip coffee into a metal carafe (those hot plates with the glass pot are tragic. Avoid them if you want to enjoy coffee at all), but my preferred way of brewing is french press. 

If you want to go ever further down the path of snobbery, look into a burr grinder instead of a blade. More control over the grounds.  If you're buying pre-ground coffee...again...buy from some chain until you're ready to upgrade in cost and taste. 

Whew...that was a lot. Now I'll transform back into a normal person, who isn't that much of an arrogant twat....unless we start talking about cigars. 

Our local Barista has a damn good drink. It's a coffee called "Witch's Brew". Raspberry and white chocolate. All I know is it has 6 shots of some form of coffee in it and tastes amazing! Went there almost every day this past month. I had 12 shots a couple days ago and didn't sleep for two days straight lol.

I'm a coffee person. I can't get through the day without it. By the way, I have my own coffee maker. I have brewed and mixed. Anything will do for me. But, I like buying too from Starbucks and Coffee Bean.

I dabble in a good bit of coffee. My daily is eight o clock coffee or Starbucks pike place or Verona. All with a aero press makes a good daily coffee. Best coffee I’ve had is counter culture sun dried Africa (don’t recall exact name) single origin. Best part of coffee is trying new beans.

In my travels I've found a few coffee shops that hit the spot:

Out West in SF, Bread and Cocoa were the highlight of my trip as the guys who run the shop are quirky and as advertised, make amazing things with bread, and mocha drinks for my girl. She loved their black forest latte while classic caramel macchiato for me was great.

Down South in Galveston, TX, Mod House was the only place that captured the essence of a modern yet hip coffee shop, right down to the LOTR color comic panels that splashed the tables under the glass. The squirrel latte was an instant hit for me (amaretto, vanilla, hazelnut, and toffee nut: it's nuts, get it?) and their bakery delivered overflowing blueberry muffins were amazing.

And finally out East just outside Washington, DC, there's a small town with a coffee shop called Bean Hollow that hosts local artist art for sale right off the wall, some who stop by to draw on napkins that they then place under the plastic on the dispensers for each table. I'm forgetting the contents but they had a concoction called French Kiss that was quite enjoyable while she enjoyed their espresso.

I've had coffee in many different states but don't always get to find a good shop so in a pinch it's usually Peets or Starbucks. I only wish I had acquired a taste for it before visiting London as a teenager but that's something I plan to remedy one day. ;)

Home roaster here. Prepare for immense snobbery.

I love buying green beans from The Coffee Project or Sweet Maria's, then roasting my own. It's actually shockingly easy, and you've always got really fresh, great coffee. It also costs a fraction of the price.

Any of the grocery store brands are going to be terrible, and if you're after just having a good cup, try local spots that aren't chains. If you're not a hardcore coffee person, maybe start with a latte to get a feel for the quality and if it gets you off, or if you're braver, order an espresso or black coffee. It'll give you the truest flavor of the coffee itself. Lots of coffee shops you'll find roast their own, so if you warm up to one place, see if they sell, or ask where they get their coffee roasted. Most places are pretty cool about sharing the info.

If you're like my wife, and you dump a bunch of flavored creamer in your coffee, other than defending yourself from the risk of domestic violence, you should just buy any old brand from Costco, Starbucks, Peet's, or whatever.

I'm in Oregon, which benefits from a lot of the Seattle coffee scene spillover, and we have some great shops in our area. Stumptown is well regarded, Spella, Water Avenue are all very local, but well thought of.

I'll do drip coffee into a metal carafe (those hot plates with the glass pot are tragic. Avoid them if you want to enjoy coffee at all), but my preferred way of brewing is french press.

If you want to go ever further down the path of snobbery, look into a burr grinder instead of a blade. More control over the grounds. If you're buying pre-ground coffee...again...buy from some chain until you're ready to upgrade in cost and taste.

Whew...that was a lot. Now I'll transform back into a normal person, who isn't that much of an arrogant twat....unless we start talking about cigars.
Fellow PNWer I agree that Stumptown has some pretty good coffee.

I'm not a coffee person :/  pressed juice sf are delicious for me! Each with a fresh and satisfying taste. I was surprised that I liked the beet juice, but I think that it and the pineapple are my favorite. 

*Ahem* Folgers is the Miller Lite of coffee. :whistle2:
Yeah I know what you mean, Miller Lite is cheap and disgusting as hell lol. I'm used to Folgers because that's what I've drank my whole adult life. I don't really know what our store carries other than that because I haven't looked around for others haha.

Yeah I know what you mean, Miller Lite is cheap and disgusting as hell lol. I'm used to Folgers because that's what I've drank my whole adult life. I don't really know what our store carries other than that because I haven't looked around for others haha.
You poor person. Can always try local shops until you find a coffee brand you love. Experiment and have fun!

That depends on your taste. There cannot be any simple or direct answer. You may prefer sweet dense coffee (Greece, Turkey) or classical espresso (Italy). I have had wonderful coffee in Addis Ababa and I am sure South America has many high quality coffees and coffee establishments. What is easy and very valid is to say that you will not ever get good coffee in Cafe Nero, Starbucks and similar establishments and whipped cream, marshmallows are similar additions have only the merit of hiding the taste. Neither will you ever have a good drink of coffee in a paper cup!

You know, this is a matter of taste, because everyone wants to feel something specific in their drink. I've tried a lot of coffee and there is rarely something that I really like. Now I drink coffee that I buy on this page, and I've found the perfect balance of taste and quality. If you consider yourself a coffee connoisseur, then I recommend trying it.

bread's done
Back