CAGcast #498: Mass Reject

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Prey, NBA Playground, Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels, Mass Effect news, Scorpio and PS4 Pro, and so much more!

Download (1 hours 15 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Harrys! Please visit http://www.harrys.com/cagcast to get your free trial set (just cover $3 shipping); includes a razor handle, 5-blade cartridge, and shave gel.

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Stay The Night (feat. Hayley Williams of Paramore) [Zedd & Kevin Drew Remix]
Outro - Newmark and Lewis Commercial

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
CAGcast on YouTube
Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the founders of bioware and many of the lead writers left....this had to have had an adverse effect on the production of mass effect andronoma. I'm surprised you guys didnt touch on that...anyways great show as always!

I picked up NBA Playgrounds on Switch, and having a great time. No issues here. I played on my TV, and the handheld, and I am pretty happy with the visual look. No online play, but I don't see myself spending too much time with that.

So yeah, thumbs up on the Switch version.

Ok ship, time for an other Learning Moment(tm)!

"Metacritic scores do not reflect opinion" um,...what? The Metacritic score is an aggregate of opinion. The difference between a critic rating a game a 64 vs a 78 is a difference of...wait for it....OPINION. You can debate whether attaching a number to reflect an opinion is a valid approach, but saying Metacritic scores don't reflect opinion is incorrect.

Also, charcoal grilled food tastes like "carcinogens" (lighter fluid) only if you're not doing it right. The coals need to be white and have no visible flame before grilling. And if you use a chimney lighter you don't need to use lighter fluid at all. That won't address the "ease of use" (laziness) concern, but charcoal provides a much better flavor if you're willing to put in the time. Charcoal FTW

See you next week!

Why buy a gas grill when you can get the same effect by using a grate on the stove? Now charcoal, there's a method that's hard to to replicate.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cheapy wasn't crazy when he was confused about Prey's PS4 pro support. At launch Digital Foundry found that PS4 Pro did not make any improvements in texture filtering, resolution, or frame rate (locked at 30fps.) Might get patched in later but for now there does not appear to be any significant difference in between the two aside from the pro having a less controller input lag.

Link to DF video: https://youtu.be/3EZNr0TyimU

Cheapy is suffering under the assumption that the PS4 Pro ought to be selling well. As his co-hosts were quick to point out, the PS4 Pro won't start selling better until more people acquire 4K televisions to use with it. And so long as the install base for the PS4 Pro remains small, developers won't have any firm incentive to add extra features that take advantage of the Pro's additional power.

The quasi-silver-lining for this scenario is that not being available at launch does not mean that those performance benefits will never be available. This is the age of digital distribution, and extra visual features for PS4 Pro can be patched in after the fact. While I sympathize with Cheapy's plight of acquiring PS4 games that don't get the PS4 Pro optimizations he expects, this is simply the risk of being an early adopter.

And yes, the Scorpio is also going to be a non-starter out of the gate. If Microsoft thinks otherwise they are deluding themselves. Both the Pro and Scorpio aren't consoles for now. They are insurance against the future. They are products that Sony and Microsoft are hoping to sell a lot of when 4K has transitioned into being the standard. They are a means for them to keep their current platforms viable for the next 10 years instead of just the next 5. But don't expect the PS4 Pro to become a hot item for at least another two-three years. For the foreseeable future, the PS4 standard and Xbox One are the de-facto home gaming platforms. (and to a slightly lesser degree the Switch)

Did Wombat say something about 8K IMAX?  What was that about.  I don't know of such a thing.  Maybe I just heard it wrong.

One of the things I really liked about Guardians 2 is how it was disconnected from the MCU.  It was a breath of fresh air to not have to shoehorn some reference to any other movie, unless you count the picture of Jeff Goldblum during the end credits.  I'm surprised to hear that that's a knock against the movie.

Player Unknown Battleground is getting a XBox One version. They are already working on it.

Not sure if it's console exclusive though

Player Unknown Battleground is getting a XBox One version. They are already working on it.

Not sure if it's console exclusive though
I imagine that will be a long ways away as the developer has indicated the PC version will be the focus before anything else.

DayZ was announced for Xbox One and PS4 way back in 2014, but nothing since then.

The Hot Wheels expansion to Forza Horizon 3 is so good I could see it getting blown out to a standalone title in the future, Forza Hot Wheels. It would be a big, family friendly hit.

Nice shouout for Victory Brewing Company. I live near them. Good beer and their brewpubs are nice too.

I don't get the Mario Kart/Forza Horizon comparison, it's apples and oranges. Are critics going to dock points from the next Forza Horizon for not having local multiplayer since that's something Mario Kart offers? Forza excels at letting you play by yourself and against ghosts of your friends, Mario Kart excels at multiplayer. 

And there are plenty of *modern* games that have the above problem, nobody compares Overwatch to Doom, one game focuses on multiplayer the other on single player.

I don't get the Mario Kart/Forza Horizon comparison, it's apples and oranges. Are critics going to dock points from the next Forza Horizon for not having local multiplayer since that's something Mario Kart offers? Forza excels at letting you play by yourself and against ghosts of your friends, Mario Kart excels at multiplayer.

And there are plenty of *modern* games that have the above problem, nobody compares Overwatch to Doom, one game focuses on multiplayer the other on single player.
I believe they meant they want something new in Mario Kart. They weren't directly comparing Forza and Mario Kart I don't think, just saying if they added a free roam mode like Forza that would be welcome.

Hey cheapy, i have the perfect solution to your grill problem. Get an electric smoker. I got a masterbuilt 30" with digital output. I was never good with grilling, but after getting this i am able to easily cook damn good bbq. It's way easier than a grill also. All you got to do is season the meat, set the temperature/cook time, add wood chips and water to pan. Thats it.

You can google any type of meat to see how long to cook it. Mine has a built in thermometer that you poke into the meat and it displays the internal temp of the meat so u know when it is done. There are even smart thermometers you can buy with Bluetooth that u can check on with your phone. Meat is done when it gets to the right temp for what type meat your cooking.

Clean up is easy. Just the ash from the wood, occasionally clean the metal racks, and there's a greese drip tray. Don't have to worry about going and buying propane or charcoal. A bag of wood chips is cheap and lasts forever.

I believe they meant they want something new in Mario Kart. They weren't directly comparing Forza and Mario Kart I don't think, just saying if they added a free roam mode like Forza that would be welcome.
Cheapy directly compared them on twitter.

He just can't accept that reviewers like the content in MK8 more than he does, and more than the content in FH3.

Cheapy is suffering under the assumption that the PS4 Pro ought to be selling well. As his co-hosts were quick to point out, the PS4 Pro won't start selling better until more people acquire 4K televisions to use with it. And so long as the install base for the PS4 Pro remains small, developers won't have any firm incentive to add extra features that take advantage of the Pro's additional power.

The quasi-silver-lining for this scenario is that not being available at launch does not mean that those performance benefits will never be available. This is the age of digital distribution, and extra visual features for PS4 Pro can be patched in after the fact. While I sympathize with Cheapy's plight of acquiring PS4 games that don't get the PS4 Pro optimizations he expects, this is simply the risk of being an early adopter.

And yes, the Scorpio is also going to be a non-starter out of the gate. If Microsoft thinks otherwise they are deluding themselves. Both the Pro and Scorpio aren't consoles for now. They are insurance against the future. They are products that Sony and Microsoft are hoping to sell a lot of when 4K has transitioned into being the standard. They are a means for them to keep their current platforms viable for the next 10 years instead of just the next 5. But don't expect the PS4 Pro to become a hot item for at least another two-three years. For the foreseeable future, the PS4 standard and Xbox One are the de-facto home gaming platforms. (and to a slightly lesser degree the Switch)
Richard I agree completely. As I was listening to Cheapy bemoan lack of PS4Pro support in Prey it got me to thinking. What specialized feature of any console has gotten wide spread 3rd party support. I can not think of any Nintendo Wii games that really utilized motion control (other then waggleware). With the PS3 motion control I can not think of any 3rd party let alone any 1st party that put more then minimal effort into it. The 360 Kinect an the XBox One Kinect have not seen any real support. The GamePad on the WiiU, nothing I can think of. It seems most developers will only develop for features that are common across all (or most) platforms.

Hey cheapy, i have the perfect solution to your grill problem. Get an electric smoker. I got a masterbuilt 30" with digital output. I was never good with grilling, but after getting this i am able to easily cook damn good bbq. It's way easier than a grill also. All you got to do is season the meat, set the temperature/cook time, add wood chips and water to pan. Thats it.

You can google any type of meat to see how long to cook it. Mine has a built in thermometer that you poke into the meat and it displays the internal temp of the meat so u know when it is done. There are even smart thermometers you can buy with Bluetooth that u can check on with your phone. Meat is done when it gets to the right temp for what type meat your cooking.

Clean up is easy. Just the ash from the wood, occasionally clean the metal racks, and there's a greese drip tray. Don't have to worry about going and buying propane or charcoal. A bag of wood chips is cheap and lasts forever.
Our awesome contractor covered up our one outdoor electric outlet 👍

Richard I agree completely. As I was listening to Cheapy bemoan lack of PS4Pro support in Prey it got me to thinking. What specialized feature of any console has gotten wide spread 3rd party support. I can not think of any Nintendo Wii games that really utilized motion control (other then waggleware). With the PS3 motion control I can not think of any 3rd party let alone any 1st party that put more then minimal effort into it. The 360 Kinect an the XBox One Kinect have not seen any real support. The GamePad on the WiiU, nothing I can think of. It seems most developers will only develop for features that are common across all (or most) platforms.
A lot of games were developed with additional features for the Wii U GamePad. Games like Black Ops II and both Assassin's Creed utilized the GamePad as a map. The Armored Edition of Arkham City used the tilt controls with the GamePad to fly around the different gadgets that Batman had. Just to name a few ;)

Hell, Need for Speed Most Wanted had a separate version developed specifically for the Wii U for the GamePad's features.

Go natural gas for your grilling if you have gas pipe coming into your home.   IT's cheaper fuel and you don't have to bother with the tanks.  

Nintendo made ZElda a big open world game and it did nothing to change Cheapie's opinion of the game, nor of Nintendo nor whether or not its high Metacritic was deserved.  lol.  It won't happen if MK9 is open world either.  

At the end of the day he just doesn't like Nintendo.  

bread's done
Back