Alien Covenant 4K Steelbook $24.99 Pre Order Bestbuy

Just saw the movie last night, had it's flaws, but overall I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to watch it again with commentary and see any deleted or extended scenes.

I saw the movie on tuesday night. I'm a huge alien fan, and had been hotly anticipating this movie for years.

I was quite pleased on the whole. It ended up being more of an extended character exploration than anything else. But it was a horrifying and fascinating character, so I had no real objection on that front. My biggest issues were with the writing for a particularly clunky character, and the final "action" sequence of the film. That last action sequence just seemed very pandering and extraneous. It could have been cut out of the movie entirely without really losing anything.

I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on the home video release, but I'm also a little worried that the Blu-ray isn't going to include a directors cut of the film. Ridley Scott's films frequently benefit from getting directors cuts, they are notorious for getting cut down significantly for wide release. I suspect that some of his more recent films haven't gotten any of that due to the amount of post-process work that has to be done. The studio is less likely to spend the extra money to finish shots that aren't going to be in the released film.

That last action sequence just seemed very pandering and extraneous. It could have been cut out of the movie entirely without really losing anything.
I saw it on opening day, used one of those Fandango/Safeway monopoly credits and saw it for $2.35...I definitely enjoyed the movie overall. I 100% agree with this comment. I didn't expect it and based on the ending, it certainly wasn't warranted. This coming from a casual fan, enjoyed the franchise but not enough to own them.

It's not that I actively disliked the last act of the film. I'm a long-time die-hard Alien fan. Having a sequence that was basically extended Alien/Aliens fan-service was something I was able to enjoy. But at the same time, it was impossible for me to see it as anything other than gratuitous fan-service. When I looked back at the movie after having seen it, I couldn't shake the feeling that the whole sequence could easily be trimmed and that the movie would have been tighter and more streamlined as a result.

I do recommend the film for anyone who enjoys some sci-fi and horror. For Alien-specific fans it is probably going to be a bit more divisive. I personally had no real issue with what they did with the series mythology. But I've seen numerous accounts of fans who were not happy with some of the creative decisions made.

The 4K version is no longer available for shipping, which is quick considering the release date hasn't been announced yet.  Looks like store pickup still works though.

Also, the price has been raised to $26.99.

Just watched it the other day at a (3)dollar theater:  I can't get past the fact that it felt like a greatest-hits rendition of everything I've already seen from Aliens previously, with a heavy dose of "inspiration" from Westworld.

bread's done
Back