4k TV for PS4 Pro recommendations?

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Back when I bought my PS4 in late 2015, I bought a small 1080P TV to go with it.  Great TV, but... it is really small.  I was stupid.  I should have gotten something bigger.

I am kind of thinking now about getting a 4k TV for my PS4 Pro.  I'm not sure what size would be best, maybe 55"?  My current one is like... 28".  It looks like a postage stamp, so I slid the sofa really close to the TV.  And when that didn't work, I sat on a big beanbag on the floor right in front of it.

I don't want to spend a ton, but I also want to get something good.  Maybe I can't even afford anything right now.

Any thoughts?  Sorry if this has been discussed to death.  I didn't see any threads really.

Dont know if your local Targets will have these yet but these are TCL 2017 budget models that were just released. For some reason Target has the 49" model $100 cheaper than MSRP at $379. It has basic HDR10 and is 120hz also has the Roku built right in.

https://www.target.com/p/tcl-49-4k-ultra-high-definition-smart-tv-2160p-black/-/A-52177113
Holy shit! How are they so cheap? That's crazy! That's another thing I should have said, that I want something with very little input lag, but if they're 120hz, they probably don't have input lag, and maybe have a game mode anyway.

Thanks! Dang, I guess prices are a little higher than I'd expected. Maybe I will need to get something a little smaller. Or maybe I should shell out $1000 instead of $750.

I have the Vizio P 55" and I love it. You can find them on sale around $999 or cheaper if you get places to price match Vizio's coupon. They also have the 2017 M series which supports wide color gamut and hdr10/dolby vision. You can get the 55" for around $700 i believe? 65" is around $1200

I did a lot of research before buying my tv about 3 months ago, so I consider myself somewhat well-versed. I ended up getting the LG OLED65B6P, which based on your original post, is likely out of your budget.

Make sure to get one with HDR support, as that is becoming the new 'big thing' in addition to 4k. Looks like BB has a 55 inch Sony with HDR for 1099 currently, though better prices will definitely come along.

As for size, don't be afraid to go bigger. I got a 51 inch tv several years back, which I regretted within a few months, which encouraged me to go all in on the 65 inch this time.

Is 120hz vs 60hz refresh rate a big deal?  I can't afford OLED, but I might be able to afford 120hz refresh.

I really just want something with low input lag for retro games, 4k, HDR, and decent picture quality.  I'm not sure how much I even care about motion blur.  Should I care more than I do?

My local Best Buy really sucks.  I have kind of given up on them and their lack of stock and figure I'll go with Amazon, or maybe a 3rd party Amazon seller fulfilled by Amazon so I don't pay sales tax (I pay sales tax at Amazon proper).

I ended up getting that TCL I linked above and so far I love it. I play a lot of Destiny on my XB1 S and haven't noticed any gaming lag.

I know Amazon today got early access for preorders of the 55" TCL "P" series which is their mid level series for $499 but I think it sold out already.

I was all set to go for one of the Sonys, then I read a bad review and sighed and felt like I was back at square one.

I might actually get a TCL.  They are in-stock at my local Target and are a crazy bargain.

Well, I have pretty much given up.  It doesn't seem like many 4k TVs in my price range can really fully support HDR10 due to lack of local dimming and wide color gamut.  So, I'd be spending money to basically just get a bigger TV with higher resolution and sit further back from the TV.  I think, for now, I'll just keep my small 1080P TV and sit close to it.

If I could find a 4k TV in my price range that had good HDR10 support, and low input lag, I'd go for it, but I can't.  And without HDR, it doesn't seem like a very good time to upgrade just for a way bigger screen and higher resolution.  Maybe at Christmas time there will be something.

Hisense.  Look at the H8 models as they have HDR.  The one issue I have read is that they are using 8bit panels but it supports HDR.

Not perfect but looked good to me at Best Buy when I viewed them.  That's actually what I would get if I was getting one right now.  $450 at this time.  Again, not perfect but you're going to have to compromise somewhere to get HDR if you do not want to spend the big bucks for a big name brand.

Thanks, I'll look into them!

I just want to get the biggest bang for my buck.  It seems like you either have to spend a lot for OLED, or settle for something that is not true HDR.  I'll check out Hisense, though!  I haven't looked into them.  I was mostly just going by what my local Target and Best Buy had in stock and looking up reviews on them.  They don't have a whole lot of variety in stock though, sadly!

You need something that has low input lag.  I want a 4k TV however, I'm too fearful to pick one; I'm fearful of picking something with high input lag. 

You need something that has low input lag. I want a 4k TV however, I'm too fearful to pick one; I'm fearful of picking something with high input lag.
Yep, I was watching that really carefully. rtings.com does good tests on input lag and everything else. There are some great 4k TVs with low input lag, and they're affordable, but their HDR abilities aren't the best. They can display HDR10 content, but they don't have the local dimming, color range or contrast to actually do much with the HDR content they're displaying. However, if "all" you want is 4k and low input lag, they are out there! 4k has diminishing returns unless you buy something massive and sit fairly close to it. So I wish when I bought a 1080p TV, I'd just gotten something bigger. Then I could bide my time. But I'll bide my time with my postage stamp, I guess.

I wish rtings.com would review those newer TCL models.  They might be the real deal.  They have "contrast zones" and full-lid LEDs and arrays... and other crap I don't totally understand.  I'd love to see tests about their contrast, wide color gamut, and local dimming.  If they can do all that, then they can definitely reproduce the HDR content--and 4k, low input lag, and great price.  I'm not sure why they haven't been more widely reviewed.

If you go to slickdeals there is a thread about the TV and links to the thread on the review in progress at AVS forums.

Well, I placed an order.  I can always cancel it, and hopefully they'll ship sooner than that!

However, I have looked at everything I could find locally, and nothing had the features of that TV.  The ones that had HDR could not really even take advantage of it.  This one looks like it actually can.  The input lag is hilariously low, and it's 4k, and the price is right.  Not sure a fella could ask for much more, and I have been really demanding while TV shopping.

Although, this TV is Dolby Vision HDR.  It doesn't say anywhere if it does HDR10.  Isn't the PS4 Pro HDR10, not Dolby Vision?

Edit: Woops!  The TV supports both.  I'm stoked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are certain games worth waiting to play in 4k?

I've been holding off on Uncharted 4 but wasn't sure if it's worth waiting for. I have the Pro but no 4K TV yet.

Are certain games worth waiting to play in 4k?

I've been holding off on Uncharted 4 but wasn't sure if it's worth waiting for. I have the Pro but no 4K TV yet.
I think Uncharted has quite a few nice enhancement that you will see even at 1080p. So the real answer depends upon what kind of 4k TV you get.

#1) is it big enough, and do you sit close enough to your TV, to see the difference between 1080p and 4K

#2) will your 4k TV have a wide color gamut and local dimming, or be OLED, so that you can actually see the benefit of HDR content?

If the answer is yes to #1 and #2, then yes, wait. If not, then you could enjoy it now, or you could plan to get a better 4k TV. :)

With this 55" TCL for $600, they are really changing the game. In which case, #1 and #2 might not be very relevant, and it would be "yes". It also depends on the TV you have now. If it's crappy, then you could also wait.

I just purchased a 55" TCL P607 and I can't wait to get it. I've had the same Samsung 46" LED TV for nine years, and while it looks great, I thought I would splurge a little this year and get a new TV.

My conundrum is this now: should I sell my PS4 for a PS4 Pro, or should I wait to get the Xbox One X once it comes down in price a little? As it stands now I won't have anything capable of running 4K for the TV. Any opinions?

Link to CNET review of TV: https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55p607/review/

That's the TV I ended up with, after all my searching and whining.  Came out at just the right time for me.  I love it!

I already have a PS4 Pro, so I'm a little biased, and I really have no interest in any type of Xbox.  I wouldn't wait, though.  If you are going to want a PS4 Pro someday, just get it now.  If you plan to just have an Xbox, then maybe you should just get an Xbox.  Either way, there's no point waiting around.  If you dropped the bones on that TV, you can drop the bones on a console.  Get the one you want, though, not the one I'm biased toward.  :)  Maybe it depends where you have the most games?  I have a ton of PS4 games.  It does a great job upscaling, and the boost mode is cool.  Obviously it looks the best with games that are designed with 4k and Pro in mind, especially if there's HDR support.

1080P stuff (i.e. not upscaled, like my Switch) doesn't look bad, though.  Looks pretty great.  It's such a huge TV that retro games (faux retro pixel games as well as actual retro games over HDMI or emulated) look really blocky and kind of blurry.  That's new to me.  Guess when I play retro games, I need to sit on the couch instead of on the chair so close to the TV.

Please see attached image. Are these stuck/dead pixels? Can I fix it? I sure don't want to return it or send it for repair.

Edit: stupid phone... trying to swipe around the screen and it goes back to a previous page instead--wish I could turn that off. That's what the back button is for. Image is attached again now.

Edit edit: try #3...

[attachment=27191:IMG_4931.JPG]

The TV goes blank/black at random sometimes while I'm playing PS4, too. If I turn it off and back on, or hit home and go back to the PS4 input, then it's fine.

The TV goes blank/black at random sometimes while I'm playing PS4, too. If I turn it off and back on, or hit home and go back to the PS4 input, then it's fine.
That's strange, I dunno.

So quick update on my setup, over the weekend the TCL P607 55" came in, and I was basically able through craigslist to upgrade my PS4 to a PS4 Pro for $125 plus gas. I spent the rest of the weekend playing Until Dawn and Journey and can say both games look incredible on the TV. I had been gaming on my 9 year old Samsung LED, and was noticing details in the stitching in people's clothes, or subtle gradations of black in dark areas of Until Dawn. Really quite stunning.

I'm quite happy with the set up!

Yep I really wish I went with the P Series over the S series one I got. When I purchased Amazon didn't have a solid release date on the P model and that scared me off.

I have a PS4 phat that basically brand new maybe 20-25 hours on it. I would love to turn that into a Pro if possible for as little out of pocket as I can.

Yep I really wish I went with the P Series over the S series one I got. When I purchased Amazon didn't have a solid release date on the P model and that scared me off.

I have a PS4 phat that basically brand new maybe 20-25 hours on it. I would love to turn that into a Pro if possible for as little out of pocket as I can.
Do it man. Not sure if you have a 4K HDR TV, but I can say after five days with an new TV and PS4 Pro, I'm a believer.

If anyone is still in the market the TCL Roku 55s403 is down to $370.00 (from $420.00) till 9/2/17 at Costco. You can also add 3 more years of warranty via Square Trade for $30 more so you end up with  total years of protection. I have this TV and love it so far wish it had one more HDMI port but that would be my only gripe with it.

EDIT: I cant link the product page since its sold out online but it is available in store.

bread's done
Back