I'm not alone, am I?

justadude

CAGiversary!
I STILL play my GameCube. I bought it launch day and it's still going strong. I mainly use it for the GameBoy Player and Super Mario Bros and other GBA games, but occasionally I'll boot Wind Waker or something like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 or Aggressive Inline.

I wish Nintendo would do another power console.

Definitely not alone!  While I haven't played too much recently, I'll always be in the mood for a bit of Super Mario Sunshine or Melee.

I wish Nintendo would do another power console.
What the hell is a power console?

Eternal Darkness is probably the most over-rated game ever made in the history of the universe. I find the game to be completely unplayable with the poor ass came angles.

That said there is no reason to not play the Gamecube, it's the last great Nintendo console before all the stupid hands throwing around consoles. Plus Melee is still as awesome as ever.

What the hell is a power console?

Eternal Darkness is probably the most over-rated game ever made in the history of the universe. I find the game to be completely unplayable with the poor ass came angles.

That said there is no reason to not play the Gamecube, it's the last great Nintendo console before all the stupid hands throwing around consoles. Plus Melee is still as awesome as ever.
I'm sure there's a more recognized, or tech jargon friendly, term but what I meant is a console that competed in specs/graphical prowess.

I don't agree that the GameCube's graphical prowess was its biggest selling point. Competing on tech has never been Nintendo's thing, if we saw them attempt such a strategy today, you might as well start nailing down the lid of their coffin.

That said, I do agree that the GameCube is great, and totally worth playing. For those looking for an innexpensive GameCube solution, your best bet is to acquire an earlier-model Wii. The component video support for the GameCube was decent, but required a proprietary cable that is extremely rare and expensive. The backwards-compatible model Wiis are comparably quite common, and acqiring a Wii component cable is cheap and easy. (or just getting an HDMI dongle) So getting nice, crisp progressive-scan GameCube support is much easier by getting a backwards-compatible Wii. At this point the Wii is also not very expensive on the second-hand market.

I also agree that the GameCube had a surprisingly comfortable controller. It was a bit atypical, but the design was actually quite forward-thinking, with memorization and usability at the forefront.

I don't agree that the GameCube's graphical prowess was its biggest selling point. Competing on tech has never been Nintendo's thing, if we saw them attempt such a strategy today, you might as well start nailing down the lid of their coffin.

That said, I do agree that the GameCube is great, and totally worth playing. For those looking for an innexpensive GameCube solution, your best bet is to acquire an earlier-model Wii. The component video support for the GameCube was decent, but required a proprietary cable that is extremely rare and expensive. The backwards-compatible model Wiis are comparably quite common, and acqiring a Wii component cable is cheap and easy. (or just getting an HDMI dongle) So getting nice, crisp progressive-scan GameCube support is much easier by getting a backwards-compatible Wii. At this point the Wii is also not very expensive on the second-hand market.

I also agree that the GameCube had a surprisingly comfortable controller. It was a bit atypical, but the design was actually quite forward-thinking, with memorization and usability at the forefront.
I don't think anyone was saying that the GameCube's biggest selling point was it's graphic ability. However it was a system that simply relied on great games and not (what some consider) gimmicky stuff. Nintendo dumped a lot of money into the technology to push the limits of the console also. I think games like Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime and Wind Waker are examples of this.

You make a good point about the Wii. Last time I played Wind Waker through it was on my b/c Wii with the GC controller. I popped it out and put it in my GameCube and it definitely looked a little more crisp and bright on the Wii.

Definitely not alone! While I haven't played too much recently, I'll always be in the mood for a bit of Super Mario Sunshine or Melee.
I regret having sold off Super Mario Sunshine! Was it just me or were those GC Mario games harder than the Wii/Wii U stuff?

I still play my gamecube randomly here and there. It's mainly for melee though(followed by annual replays of animal crossing, thousand year door, and crystal chronicles).

The GC mario games felt more challenging than the Wii games for sure. I didn't play any off the Wii U games, so I can't be the judge of that.

Ah, the Gamecube - the last console where Nintendo decided to still put on a power play against its competition.  The GCN may not always have been touted as a graphical marvel, but it was on par with its competition (Xbox and PS2) spec-wise.  The mini-disc approach had its drawbacks, however.  And well, while others may have grown fond of it -- I can't say I was a big fan of that controller.

I haven't touched my GCN in a long time, but will still play GCN games now and then through the Wii.

There are still some great exclusives on there that you won't find anywhere else.  One of my favorites - Beach Spikers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't touched mine in ages. Last time I really used it was when I grabbed the Game Boy Player for it and hooked it up to my Framemeister to play some GBA games on the TV, but that was short lived. Sucks that the default GBA Player software is so bad, though.

bread's done
Back