- - - - -

Anyone else find rarities in pawn shops?

#31 Acrylic   Hello! CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 18.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

Some good prices on games I found were:

Disgaea for $10

and Zelda : OoT for Gamecube for $10

I also found much more, but I just can't think right now...

#32 urzishra14   Who are you? I'm Batman. CAGiversary!   2385 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

urzishra14

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:26 PM

I'd bet the overhead of running a B&M pawn shop would be a good bit more.

Anyway I found Rez at a pawn shop once (no idea if it's still valuable, but at the time it was going for $80 or so on eBay) but they had it priced at ~$60. Damn internet using pawn shop owners...

i'm glad the ones i go to just have a flat rate for their games and they don't use Ebay.. (which sucks they have like 20 wrestling 64 games for 5 bucks each)
but nevertheless

found
RE 4 (like 2 months after it came out ) 10 bucks
Mario Golf 3 bucks
mario tennis 3 bucks
mvc2 xbox for 15 (this was when it was hitting 70 all the time used)
DMC 3 10 bucks
a bunch of NES games for a dollar a piece (metal gear, bionic commando, commando..stuff like that)..

#33 Ravenlunatic   Learn to love it CAGiversary!   247 Posts   Joined 18.7 Years Ago  

Ravenlunatic

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:28 PM

Found FFIII (SNES) for $10 including the booklet, no box.

#34 Staraang21   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   994 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Staraang21

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:23 PM

Some of my best finds at pawn shops include Earthbound and Mega Man Soccer for $2 each, and 2 boxed Agetec Dreamcast arcade sticks for $45 total. I got the Agetec sticks back when they would go for $50-60 regularly on ebay.

#35 Kain Vincent   Monarch of Games CAGiversary!   1781 Posts   Joined 18.3 Years Ago  

Kain Vincent

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:31 PM

castlevania:SOTN for $5. Too bad I'm not 18 yet so I couldn't buy it. But I bet it's still there.

You know Castlevania: SotN is only rated "T", right?

EDIT: lionheart4life beat me to it.

#36 neoness   Zealous One CAGiversary!   143 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:48 PM

What's a pawn shop? ;)

The two best deals I've found in my lifetime were EarthBound (complete and New) for $20, and Suikoden 2 (mint) for $50.

I also managed to get Ikaruga (GC) for $20 because of this very forum. I went to TRU during their sale, and actually saw a copy of Ikaruga in their bargin bin. I brought it over to the sales rep and asked for a price check. He told me it was $40, so I told him to ring it out. It dropped to $20.

His face was priceless.

:| "Wow"

#37 rperez1025   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   437 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

rperez1025

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:45 AM

I've also got a versus ff7 guide there, he said that it was rare so he was going to have to charge the 15 dollar cover price (instead of the usual 5 for guides), he even seemed like he thought he overcharged, but it was going for about 100 on ebay.

Holy crap! [/Frank Barone]

I never knew that Versus FF7 guide went for that much on ebay. I picked it up at an outlet store for $3 bucks (you could probably still see the price tag on there in the bottom lefthand corner). It's just been in my closet along with the other $3 guides I've picked up (also picked up Suikoden II though I had know idea it would go for a good deal on ebay as well) and all my old gaming magazines, Gamefan included. Ahh, I really loved Gamefan before it went downhill. Anyone know of any other guides that are pretty rare?

Posted Image

As for the topic, I've picked up some pretty good games but I've visited way too many pawn shops in order to do so.

Some of the better games that I remember include:

-Tactics Ogre for $20 (great condition)
-Earthbound $3 (cart only)
-Einhander $3 (complete but slight scratches. I've also come across the game in another pawn shop, but this is one of the shops that checks ebay. He's trying to get $41 for it. That game has been there on the shelf in the same spot for about 2 years)
-Spacemegaforce $6 (not really rare but I was pumped about it since it's a great shooter)
-Secret of Mana $6 (ended up getting 2 copies at the same pawn shop about 2 weeks apart. I thought that was kind of weird)

It's strange, sometimes I will get burnt out searching around different pawn shops not really coming up with anything but after a short break I go back and do it all over again. It's like it's an addiction. It's a good feeling when you make out like a bandit after coming across a great find. Yeah I need help but it also gives me an excuse to get out of the office during lunchtime without spending too much money (unless I come across a good deal, of course).

How did you guys typically find out what's rare and what's not? The main reason I've known is just reading different posts in threads like these but I never would of guessed about the Versus guide.

#38 Otherguy676   Grand Pawn Shop Champ! CAGiversary!   1276 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Otherguy676

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:55 AM

I see Einhander a lot but didn't think it was rare. I amy have to pick it up next time I see it, I liked it the few times I played it so it shouldnt be a bad shooter.

#39 c   The Hottest Judge on TV CAGiversary!   548 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:21 AM

Einhander, regardless of rareness, is a unique and quite sexy shoot 'em up. It's really hard, though. Like.. really, really hard. If you can get it for under $15, it's worth it.

I've never had any good pawn shop finds.

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:28 AM

Zelda Windwaker/OoT Doublepack- $5.

#41 G.Sears   . CAGiversary!   796 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:50 AM

Nearly all the good SNES RPG guides are rare, same can be said for PSX RPGs that are obscure/hard to find.

#42 billyG   CAG! CAGiversary!   341 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:03 AM

I just started checking pawn shops a couple of weeks ago and I found one that is selling all of there Psone games for 3$ each. I picked up all of the final fantasys for PS except tactics and also a unopened GH FF origins. Also found the zelda collectors edition for 12$

Nothing too special, but a good pickup for the collection.

The thing that sucks about the really big pawn shops is that you have to sort through like 150 copys of NBA '99 and some of the clerks seem to get testy when you "inconvienece" them by making them do there jobs and help you...

#43 TurkeyOnRye   Hey? Is this velvet? CAGiversary!   1529 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

TurkeyOnRye

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:08 AM

I've posted several pawn shop deals here. I always scope the one in my hometown out because it's run by a guy who it was given to by his wealthy family, and they do ALOT of weapons/jewelry/electronics/instruments transactions, so it's become quite large. DVDs and games are just kinda stacked close to the back.

The guy is so concerned about the image of himself and his pawn shop that he only hires pretty teenage girls to work there, and they have no idea what is what.
PS1/N64 games are $4
XBX/PS2/GCN games are $8
DVD's are $5

Regardless of what they/number of disks, etc...

#44 wubb   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   20114 Posts   Joined 18.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:20 PM

Another great find I made was a sealed Halo 2 (not LE if that even matters :lol: ) for $50! This was probably a month or so after it came out, not that it was ever hard to find in stores for $50 or less anyway. The upside is I only need visit pawn shops like that one time.

#45 Otherguy676   Grand Pawn Shop Champ! CAGiversary!   1276 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Otherguy676

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:22 PM

Finds in the last two days were pretty good.

6/30
Torneko: The Last Hope (PS1) - $5 Complete (shop finally sold it to me), Uncommon - Rare

7/1
Super Mario Sunshine (Non-GH version) - $4 Complete
Futurama (PS2) - $8 Complete, Uncommon - Rare (anyone want it, PM me)

That was probably my last pawn shop day until 8/1 when I get back from Connecticut (any1 know of cheap deals on seats at Fenway, let me know)

#46 TurkeyOnRye   Hey? Is this velvet? CAGiversary!   1529 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

TurkeyOnRye

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:42 PM

I'm going home this weekend, so I'll visit the local pawnshop and report back on Tuesday or so...

#47 FredGordonHerbert  

FredGordonHerbert

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:38 PM

Not anymore. The douchebag flippers with their smartphones who scan every single game and make less money than they would working a real job at McDonalds reselling games ruined game hunting.

#48 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7378 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:17 PM

Thread almost as old as my account. Very useful info, though. Thank you for bringing it back to our attention.

#49 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7378 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 October 2021 - 08:51 PM

Your bot is working, friend. No need for further testing.