* * * * - 17 votes

XBL Deals - 2017, Part II

XBL Xbox One Xbox 360 Xbox Live Deals with Gold Games with Gold DwG GwG XB1 360

#12301 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:02 PM

the tv optical is for output only

Right. So if he uses the hdmi xbox ->tv he won't loose hdr. The optical goes tv -> receiver. Then all tv audio comes from home theater receiver / speakers. Low cost solution that preserves hdr for video and sound from home theater.

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether or not the tv -> receiver connection will preserve hi end audio such as dolby surround surround or will it only transmit 2.0 stereo audio. If so I might try setting the optical cable to go xbox -> receiver and see if any advanced audio features return.

#12302 captbrannigan  

captbrannigan

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

I never thought about that, since I've never in my life used optical for anything. It looks like both the TV and receiver have optical ports. So I guess the answer is yes. Of course, I don't have one on hand to test.

Just to clarify, you'll want to connect the xbox via optical to the reciever and via hdmi to the tv. I guess you could connect the tv to the receiver if you have limited reciever ports, or if you weren't already using hdmi for the audio.

Make sure if you run the optical out of the xbox, you change it in the settings so it doesn't just send audio via hdmi to the tv (which would be fine if you then run the tv out to the receiver).

My old receiver doesn't have hdmi, so I run optical audio from the xbox to it. I don't have cable, so I didn't have any use for running audio out from the tv.

#12303 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

Looks like Super Lucky's Tale will be $20 for Black Friday at Best Buy.

#12304 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10995 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

Canceled my NFS Payback preorder. After about 2.5 hours, 'm starting to see some of the criticisms of the game.

Once you get to that point in the game, the balance is ridiculously off unless you want to pay real money or grind constantly.

I’ve never played a NFS game that required much (if any) grinding. But the levels your car is at and what is required for races isn’t even close without grinding. In-game currency isn’t enough to make a difference because even if you have much to spend, it’s a total crap shoot of what you can get (the speed cards change at each tune-up shop and many are not any better than what you currently have).

I don’t mind challenging races. But when you don’t have the parts or speed cards to be on even a small deficit to the other racers, it gets impossible. I don’t buy racing games to grind like an RPG.

The speed card system is infuriating as designed and seems a total cash grab since you can buy packs of them with real money. Hope they improve it or rebalance it because there’s a great game underneath. I was having a blast until I hit a wall.

Supposedly they were fixing similar issues in Battlefront 2, but this is even for the single player portion.

EA Access saved me on NFS.

#12305 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

Don’t have a 4k tv yet, but I did notice when I bring up my games the icon list for 470 or so games I have installed loads way faster on the X than my old slim.

#12306 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10995 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Don’t have a 4k tv yet, but I did notice when I bring up my games the icon list for 470 or so games I have installed loads way faster on the X than my old slim.

Well that’s well worth $500. ;)

#12307 Touch3  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether or not the tv -> receiver connection will preserve hi end audio such as dolby surround surround or will it only transmit 2.0 stereo audio. If so I might try setting the optical cable to go xbox -> receiver and see if any advanced audio features return.

For me, I lose something in the audio.  I have all my HDMI devices going into my TV, and then my optical audio out of the TV into the HTIB receiver (which is old enough to not have HDMI), and it says it's receiving 2.0 sound.  If I ran the optical straight from the Xbox to the HTIB, it would display something else (I forget exactly what it said, it's been a while since I configured everything, and I haven't touched the setup much in the past few years.

So for me, even though I know I'd be getting better audio quality if I went straight from the console to the receiver, I stick with using the TV as a switchboard/passthrough, because I want all 3 devices I have hooked up to play from the receiver.

#12308 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2595 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:59 PM

Time is money :P

#12309 MrshllJcb   Drinkin High Life CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:59 PM

I’m waiting til I have the opportunity to get one with proper HDR10 and not settle for a tv without it. Probably next month after work bonus though

#12310 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10995 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

I’m waiting til I have the opportunity to get one with proper HDR10 and not settle for a tv without it. Probably next month after work bonus though

I understand. Just messing with you.

#12311 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   3537 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:32 PM

I know a lot of you hate any mention of Gamestop (it does make my heart hurt a little), there's a B2G1 on X1 games, and a ton of really good BC games for less than $5. Lots of used prices discounted alongside, saw Quantum Break for $15 base:

https://www.gamestop...f2418-1e0-17e-6

#12312 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6481 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

Gears 4 Nuclear Lancer skin available.  Available for about 15 minutes.

http://live.gearsofwar.com/mixer

#12313 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10995 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

I know a lot of you hate any mention of Gamestop (it does make my heart hurt a little), there's a B2G1 on X1 games, and a ton of really good BC games for less than $5. Lots of used prices discounted alongside, saw Quantum Break for $15 base:

Are you sure it applies to BC games? There was some other promotion involving X1 games a while back where they wouldn’t let me do 360 games that were BC. Said it only applied to actual X1 games.

#12314 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10995 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:08 AM

Transferring games from my 1 TB to my shiny new 4 TB from the pre-Black Friday deal at Best Buy.

Thanks again to kcobra22 for messaging me on XBL last night.

#12315 DGenerateKane   Former Kanenite CAGiversary!   857 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

DGenerateKane

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:50 AM

As you can see, my knowledge of optical audio is nonexistent. :-P

Right. So if he uses the hdmi xbox ->tv he won't loose hdr. The optical goes tv -> receiver. Then all tv audio comes from home theater receiver / speakers. Low cost solution that preserves hdr for video and sound from home theater.

Just to clarify, you'll want to connect the xbox via optical to the reciever and via hdmi to the tv. I guess you could connect the tv to the receiver if you have limited reciever ports, or if you weren't already using hdmi for the audio.

Make sure if you run the optical out of the xbox, you change it in the settings so it doesn't just send audio via hdmi to the tv (which would be fine if you then run the tv out to the receiver).

My old receiver doesn't have hdmi, so I run optical audio from the xbox to it. I don't have cable, so I didn't have any use for running audio out from the tv.

For me, I lose something in the audio.  I have all my HDMI devices going into my TV, and then my optical audio out of the TV into the HTIB receiver (which is old enough to not have HDMI), and it says it's receiving 2.0 sound.  If I ran the optical straight from the Xbox to the HTIB, it would display something else (I forget exactly what it said, it's been a while since I configured everything, and I haven't touched the setup much in the past few years.

So for me, even though I know I'd be getting better audio quality if I went straight from the console to the receiver, I stick with using the TV as a switchboard/passthrough, because I want all 3 devices I have hooked up to play from the receiver.

I'll be trying the optical cable with the X and receiver first. Hopefully that will work. Best Buy didn't have any cheap ones so I have to wait for Amazon to deliver it Friday.

#12316 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:58 AM

So bonus points, opening up Edge and activating the specific topic of the day, for Microsoft Rewards (Bing) done now as I haven't seen it in the Earn page in a few days now.

#12317 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13622 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:15 AM

I’d be curious to know how much improvement people with 1080p TVs see. Honestly know I wouldn’t have upgraded to an X if I didn’t have a 4K TV. And, of course, on that the difference in enhanced games is astounding. Well worth the price of admission for me.

Still it’d be interesting to know if people think it is worth it for non-4K TV owners.

Halo 3 looks a hell of a lot better on it than it did before even at 1080p

#12318 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:28 AM

Time is money :P

which is why we need electric scissors ...

#12319 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:42 AM

Are you sure it applies to BC games? There was some other promotion involving X1 games a while back where they wouldn’t let me do 360 games that were BC. Said it only applied to actual X1 games.

I think you're right awp its xb1 games only. Which is what I thought gamegirlpocket meant based on the phrase

there's a B2G1 on X1 games

on a side note Rise of the Tomb Raider looks fantastic in 4k with HDR. will be trying Battlefront II later. might try Mafia III later tonight too.

#12320 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

any recommendations on the BC games?

#12321 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6481 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

Is that because it's a bit of an oxymoron?

#12322 DGenerateKane   Former Kanenite CAGiversary!   857 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

DGenerateKane

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:57 AM

Is that because it's a bit of an oxymoron?

Could be. :-k

#12323 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:03 AM

Gears 4 Nuclear Lancer skin available.  Available for about 15 minutes.

http://live.gearsofwar.com/mixer

What are you doing outside the XB Live thread? Get back in your cage!

Edit - just realized I'm IN the Live thread. D'oh! Talk about a long day.

#12324 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:07 AM

I think you're right awp its xb1 games only. Which is what I thought gamegirlpocket meant based on the phrase

on a side note Rise of the Tomb Raider looks fantastic in 4k with HDR. will be trying Battlefront II later. might try Mafia III later tonight too.

I wasn't super impressed by Mafia 3 on the X. It ran a lot smoother than on my OG X1, but there were still some graphical ticks that I hate about the game. Like when you look at a shiny car's roof and the shading/lighting on it randomly bugs out. I really wish they would make Mafia 2 backwards compat, that game would probably look a lot nicer.

Speaking of old ass games, I wonder how LA Noire looks/feels on the X.. will have to try that out sometime when it's on sale.

#12325 ubiquetous  

ubiquetous

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:39 AM

I wasn't super impressed by Mafia 3 on the X. It ran a lot smoother than on my OG X1, but there were still some graphical ticks that I hate about the game. Like when you look at a shiny car's roof and the shading/lighting on it randomly bugs out. I really wish they would make Mafia 2 backwards compat, that game would probably look a lot nicer.

Speaking of old ass games, I wonder how LA Noire looks/feels on the X.. will have to try that out sometime when it's on sale.

I'd like to see L.A. Noire in 4k and HDR when it comes out. But I'm in no rush an may wait for the price to drop some.

Mafia II going BC would be nice.

#12326 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10592 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

Z-Saber or any of you guys that have an X and are playing Titanfall 2, can you go to it on the My Games dashboard screen and do the start+select+left bumper+right bumper thing and let me know if you are seeing an "Applied: Xbox Scorpio" indication?

Just trying to figure out if the menu itself is bugged or if I'm really not downloading X assets.

Here's some photos with an example of what I'm talking about. My Halo 5 has that "Applied: Xbox Scorpio" indication on it, but Titanfall 2 (and Killer Instinct) do not, despite all three games being flagged as "X1XE: True."

https://imgur.com/a/9a8CG

#12327 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6481 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:32 AM

What are you doing outside the XB Live thread? Get back in your cage!

Edit - just realized I'm IN the Live thread. D'oh! Talk about a long day.

They let me out for 10 minutes every day so they can power wash the back corner of the cage where I do my business.  They learned their lesson when I wouldn't stop flinging it as passersby.  During that time, I did venture into the XBL freebies thread and post the skin availability there.

#12328 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10995 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

Z-Saber or any of you guys that have an X and are playing Titanfall 2, can you go to it on the My Games dashboard screen and do the start+select+left bumper+right bumper thing and let me know if you are seeing an "Applied: Xbox Scorpio" indication?

Just trying to figure out if the menu itself is bugged or if I'm really not downloading X assets.

Here's some photos with an example of what I'm talking about. My Halo 5 has that "Applied: Xbox Scorpio" indication on it, but Titanfall 2 (and Killer Instinct) do not, despite all three games being flagged as "X1XE: True."

https://imgur.com/a/9a8CG

Doesn’t matter. Titanfall 2 is fucked up based on a Digital Foundry piece on it. Major dips in resolution at times compared to the PS4 Pro. Hoping Respawn fixes it soon.

#12329 yesan   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   91 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

I'll be trying the optical cable with the X and receiver first. Hopefully that will work. Best Buy didn't have any cheap ones so I have to wait for Amazon to deliver it Friday.

rtings.com does a good job charting out different specifications for 2016 and newer TVs.  I have a 2016 Sony 55x850d, but am holding off on upgrading my AVR.  The TV is able to Passthrough 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS through optical, so I've set the X to just bitstream one of those for audio output and it passes those formats just fine through optical.

Don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but people should check out the Dolby Access app if they use headphones.  It has a 14d trial ($15 purchase), and it processes Dolby Atmos to work in any set of headphones that are plugged into the controller.  It didn't work well on my launch X1, with audio frequently clipping, but it's worked perfectly with the X.  

#12330 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10592 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:46 AM

Doesn’t matter. Titanfall 2 is fucked up based on a Digital Foundry piece on it. Major dips in resolution at times compared to the PS4 Pro. Hoping Respawn fixes it soon.

That's not what I'm asking. I need to figure out if my console is downloading/applying the X enhancements or not.