* * * * - 17 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 4/10: Rockstar Sale! $20 Owlboy, $14 Aegis Defenders, $10 Thimbleweed Park, & More!

PSN PS4 Vita PS3 PlayStation Plus PSVR Pre-orders Games PSP

#6061 runthejewels  

runthejewels

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

Stamps are worth money.  Your Dad's sports cards are worth money.  Your trophies aren't worth anything. 

Not really, and those things cost money.

I'm guessing you never played sports. Those trophies aren't actually worth anything either but they're proof of personal accomplishments. I get trophies for me, not to show off to others.

#6062 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   352 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

Stamps are worth money.  Your Dad's sports cards are worth money.  Your trophies aren't worth anything. 

No they're not lol. Some stamps are worth money, some cards are worth money but 99.9% of them are worthless garbage. I've been trying to sell my dad's cards since he passed away and I've yet to find any that are even worth the effort to try and get rid of.

Also if your logic is it has to be worth something to be worth collecting then trophies should be fine in your eyes considering can get PSN credit with them now.

ZenaxPure.png

#6063 TheKbob   Rock On, Duder CAGiversary!   1307 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Still no Bloodborne DLC, still a bad sale.

76561197985623817.png

#6064 bobaroo2  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

Amazes me that people buy and play games just for trophies/achievements. I don’t even have time to play the games I like let alone games that I don’t like just for digital recognition. To each their own I guess.

It’s the millennial mindset, they need trophies for anything. We will never understand it. Trying to change things around when I was a kid I did like getting a trophy for martial arts, I liked martial arts and getting a trophy for being the best I did like and proudly displaying it on my wall. What will baffle me and probably any gen xer is why in the world would I take up cooking because they were giving out easy trophys for it when I didnt even like cooking. Game trophys arent about being the best at something, Its about if you have waisted enough time at a certain game.

#6065 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   66903 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

That's not true at all. Sony Rewards has a new feature where you can earn rewards points for silver, gold, and platinum trophies that can be spent on PSN codes or physical items.

https://www.sonyrewa.../pass/available

13th Annual CAG March Madness Tourney Signups Now Live Until 3/16!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

You read it. You can't unread it.

#6066 Killbomb   Waiting for Darkness CAGiversary!   3401 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

I never understood this way of thinking.  Trophies mean nothing.  You can't trade them for anything.  They have no dollar value.  Nintendo has certain games with stamps in them but no universal system.  You are honestly telling me that you would enjoy BOTW or Super Mario Odyssey more if you got a stamp/trophy etc that stated you beat Ganon or Bowser or found 400 korok seeds or 400 moons?  Makes no sense to me but a lot of gamers love the trophy/achievements system and I still can't figure out why.  I have never looked at my friends achievements/trophies.  I have seen how many they have but why would I care if one of my friends found 100 steel inlets or whatever?  Does that make him a better gamer than me?  Does he get free stuff from M$ and Sony?  Does he get his name in the paper?  Are there gamers that have become millionaires due to the amount of platinum trophies they have?

Yeah, I would have enjoyed BoTW more if I could have earned some achievements along the way. Why? Because it's something I enjoy doing. I've always liked looking at stats in sports and trophies/achievements give me stats for video games. I like looking at my trophies and I like seeing what others are doing as well. And, like others have already stated, you can now earn some Sony Reward points for getting trophies so there's really no negative aspect to them. If you don't like them, turn the notifications off and forget they exist.

Killbomb.png

#6067 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

As I rebought an Xbox one this Black Friday I’ve spent time again in that thread and recently some dude was discussing and garnering kudos for an upcoming colonoscopy of all things to share on the internet. Here people berate and argue over trophies....I blame Sony! Let’s get em!

Let's be friends!

XBL Gamertag: MrRidickulous
PSN ID: ijustw1n

#6068 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7585 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

As I rebought an Xbox one this Black Friday I’ve spent time again in that thread and recently some dude was discussing and garnering kudos for an upcoming colonoscopy of all things to share on the internet. Here people berate and argue over trophies....I blame Sony! Let’s get em!

Hey I was that dude. Have some sympathy man! :) We’re a close knit group over there. LOL.

Also happen to have started the shit on trophies. Guess I’m to blame for everything...

#6069 CheepyDee   Hello I am Best Buy GCU's Scolding Mother CAG Veteran   181 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

CheepyDee

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

what do you think a bug is? i mean, you're literally describing a bug ["something is fundamentally wrong with the code"] then saying it doesn't sound like a bug.  bugs don't just pop up out of nowhere, they're hidden in the code. 

No, a bug is when two or more functional lines of code collide and create an unforseen consequence.

This is not that. The code itself is not written properly. It's not a bug, it's fundamentally improper coding. Big difference.

qz02k3R.jpg

#6070 CheepyDee   Hello I am Best Buy GCU's Scolding Mother CAG Veteran   181 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

CheepyDee

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

I view trophy hunting as a sort of collect-a-thon. 

People comparing these to literal trophies are missing the point; we could call PSN trophies "starberries" and starberry enthuisiasts will want to collect as many as they could.

A platinum trophy tells me "wow, this person knows just about everything there is to know about this game" and that's about it. Trophy wars also made for fun competition. As someone who once cared deeply for trophies, they have absolutely nothing to do with showing off (unless you're directly engaging in a competition) or collecting something of value.

qz02k3R.jpg

#6071 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2830 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

^What about when people buy games just to get more/easy trophies?

#6072 Lord Chabelo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   936 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Lord Chabelo

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

^What about when people buy games just to get more/easy trophies?

This achievement hunter doesn't see anything wrong with that.

15413.png

#6073 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4442 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

No, a bug is when two or more functional lines of code collide and create an unforseen consequence.

This is not that. The code itself is not written properly. It's not a bug, it's fundamentally improper coding. Big difference.

You're wrong.  I don't even know how you found a way to be so pedantic about the word bug, which, pretty much by definition, has always been a 'catch all'.

Like, I get that you're trying to distinguish between 'bug' and 'bad code', but ultimately, they are the same thing in practice.   If something isn't working because it's badly coded, it's perfectly safe to say there is a bug in the code.   If something isn't working because it's well coded, but there is a mis-used variable, or improper initialization, or, in this case, mis-use of sort criteria, you can still call it a bug.   The difference in these two cases is pretty much meaningless - the code is providing unexpected/unwanted results due to an error in the code.  It does not need to 'collide'/crash.  

First google result:  "Essentially, anything that causes the programmer’s intentions to not be fully carried out can be considered a bug, unless the programmer is trying to make the computer do something it wasn’t designed to do."

http://www.codesimpl.../what-is-a-bug/

It's always a bug.  

#6074 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Ah, a CAG PSN thread classic.  The value of trophies.  A great and never ending philosophical tussle.

But what's that? A new gem! A debate about whether poor programming is a bug? Oooooh...

Things like this are what make this thread one of my favorite things.  

For the record, trophy hunting for the sake of trophy hunting is stupid but harmless.

However, trophies NOW have value because Sony is giving you points for earning them. 

Also, the opposite sex swoons the higher your trophy count is.

Bad programming is not a bug.  The coders intended the list to sort a specific way and it does.  It's a deliberate choice and may not be the best way to do it.  However, it is intentional and not a mistake.  

#6075 Ibacai  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

I like how people are arguing over whether this is a bug or not when the only true way to know is if you have the business logic in hand. This could be WAD or a bug, but we’ll never know! Because even if they change it, that could be considered “fixing a bug” or “improvement of code”....let it go....

#6076 Undeadcow   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   128 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Undeadcow

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Injustice 2 free weekend, December 14th to December 18th. DLC characters will be available during this time...

Not sure if I'm overlooking something; how does one download Injustice 2 to try during this free trial weekend? I only see an option to buy at the discount.

#6077 Gurren Lagann   Who Da Hell Do You Think I Am CAGiversary!   2624 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Gurren Lagann

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

Regarding trophy hunting its a sense of accomplishment that means nothing in the real world but everything in the digital world.
Posted Image

#6078 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   66903 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

Some new deals:

:ps4: AeternoBlade - $3.74 - 75% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:vita: AeternoBlade - $2.99 - 80% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps3: Arcana Heart 3: Love Max!!!!! - $7.49 - 70% Off - $4.99 - 80% Off - Ends 1/9/18

:ps4: Crazy Strike Bowling EX - $3.24 - 75% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps4: Injustice 2 - $24.99 - 50% Off - Ends 12/18

:ps4: The Mummy Demastered - $14.99 - 25% Off - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps4: Mystik Belle - $8.99 - 40% Off - $7.49 - 50% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:vita: Persona 4: Dancing All Night - $19.99 - 50% Off - $15.99 - 60% Off - Ends 12/21

:ps4: Polarity: Ultimate Edition - $3.24 - 75% Off - $1.29 - 90% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps4: :vita: Rollers of the Realm - $2.99 - 70% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 12/21

:ps4: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 1/3/18

:ps4: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Pirate Queen's Quest - $5.99 - 40% Off - Ends 1/3/18

PSVR Special Delivery - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 1/4/18

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - $19.99 - 50% Off - $11.99 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - 7's Rebirth - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Cranky's Pick - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Extra Collection - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Guilty Gear X Xonic - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Long Live Collection - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:vita: Superbeat: Xonic - Magical Blaze Collection - $1.99 - 50% Off - $1.19 - 70% Off - Ends 12/21

:ps4: Volgarr the Viking - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 12/21

:ps4: Wanderjahr - $2.49 - 75% Off - Ends 1/3/18

Freebies:

:ps4: Injustice 2 Standard Edition Trial - Free

LocoRoco 2 Remastered Free Avatar Set - Free

New Releases:

:ps4: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The Adventure of Gunslinger Joe - $9.99 - Free for SP owners

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

#6079 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   3068 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

In what way is playing any game different than trophy hunting? It is all meaningless stuff we do for fun, with little real world value. I have never understood criticizing how other gamers play, we should all just do this however we want to. It effects no one.

metsfan754.png

#6080 growsinwater  

growsinwater

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

I wish the Ultimate Edition of Injustice 2 was on sale :(

#6081 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   66903 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

Injustice 2 free trial link is above.

#6082 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hey, anybody got suggestions on how to give a PSN game as a gift?

My son wants Santa to bring Loco Roco (yes, he has great taste). How does he get it? Santa can't just whip up a specific Loco Roco download card to put under the tree.  The elves buy electronic things at stores like everyone else.

I guess it could bought now and downloaded to the PS4 Christmas Eve....maybe a printed picture of a Loco Roco will be in a box?

And no, the physical release isn't a good plan...it's Loco Roco.  No one's putting in a disc for that.

#6083 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   2458 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

Windjammers and Absolute Drift need a sale please lol

#6084 chipzilla   My teeth are extra sharp ♪ ♪ My body's extra hairy ♪ CAGiversary!   317 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

chipzilla

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

Maybe if a trophy were up for grabs someone would then be motivated to fix/change the way price sorting works on the ps store.

chipzilla.pngcard.png

#6085 helveticastandard   nyaa CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

helveticastandard

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

Hey, anybody got suggestions on how to give a PSN game as a gift? [...]

Maybe you can buy the game on your phone and set it to download just before/during opening presents? You could maybe put an envelope under the tree with a note along the lines of "turn on your PS4". (You can google and print out some christmas art of the game, too, for the letter)

Then when he does turn it on, he sees the game there (or at worst, the download notification).

Edit: just reread your post. yeah, pretty much what you said xD

#6086 deadofnight   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   727 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

deadofnight

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:23 PM

To me trophies and achievements just seem like a score attack. I've chased high scores in a few games simply because I really liked the game, and the challenge is fun. Trophy hunting is a game that involves all games that have trophy support. If others have fun playing that game then hats off to them.

The diatribes against trophies just look like every other diatribe you see on the internet. They come across as "I don't like it. If you like it you're wrong".

#6087 elessar123  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

Um... Those are both bugs.

Edit: And everyone's forgetting a major point in why people would pick a game on PSN over Switch. Switch sales suck. Why pay more, to have less?

Spoiler

#6088 Undeadcow   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   128 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Undeadcow

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

Hey, anybody got suggestions on how to give a PSN game as a gift?

My son wants Santa to bring Loco Roco (yes, he has great taste). How does he get it? Santa can't just whip up a specific Loco Roco download card to put under the tree.  The elves buy electronic things at stores like everyone else.

I guess it could bought now and downloaded to the PS4 Christmas Eve....maybe a printed picture of a Loco Roco will be in a box?

And no, the physical release isn't a good plan...it's Loco Roco.  No one's putting in a disc for that.

Maybe give a stuffed animal holding a piece of paper with the code on it (depending on appropriateness for age). 

It might be fun to write clues on a piece of paper leading him to turn on the PS4 and see Loco Roco ('one gift is hidden by Christmas magic, look into the tube...')

You could probably print out a really nice home-made card to include the code on that would be stylish; I don't think that would necessarily contradict Santa elf mythology (maybe the elves are in cahoots with PSN). 

My daughter wants PC Minecraft and it definitely seems more fun to have something tangible for her to interact with rather than just booting up the computer.  

#6089 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3179 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

I'll be glad when Sony solves all this dumb trophy talk by just letting people do what they really want to do: purchase trophies directly from the store without the hassle of the game as a middleman.  One day we'll all be swimming in a sea of trophies with no pesky games to hold us back.

#6090 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3179 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

Maybe give a stuffed animal holding a piece of paper with the code on it (depending on appropriateness for age). 

It might be fun to write clues on a piece of paper leading him to turn on the PS4 and see Loco Roco ('one gift is hidden by Christmas magic, look into the tube...')

You could probably print out a really nice home-made card to include the code on that would be stylish; I don't think that would necessarily contradict Santa elf mythology (maybe the elves are in cahoots with PSN). 

My daughter wants PC Minecraft and it definitely seems more fun to have something tangible for her to interact with rather than just booting up the computer.  

You could do similar ideas with those gift card boxes that cost a dollar or two next to the gift cards (or really any box I suppose).  Just put a typed certificate in there so there is a "gift" to open just like it was a physical game to unwrap.  I'm lazy, so I might just go with an envelope with something inside. :)