* * * * - 17 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 4/10: Rockstar Sale! $20 Owlboy, $14 Aegis Defenders, $10 Thimbleweed Park, & More!

PSN PS4 Vita PS3 PlayStation Plus PSVR Pre-orders Games PSP

#241 Lord Chabelo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1086 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Lord Chabelo

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

I don't do PSN too much, so don't know the details.  I am trying to buy Uncharted Golden Abyss and WipEout 2048 for the Vita while they are currently on sale.  I used to have these games when I had PS+ and deleted them once I let that expire.  I added a 3 month PS+ subscription to my account to get an even bigger discount on a bunch of other purchases.  When I try to buy WipEout and Uncharted I am told you are not eligible to purchase this.  Is there no way for me to purchase these games so I can keep them after my PS+ runs out?

#242 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

https://blog.us.play...ifficulty-more/

Horizon Zero Dawn got a new update that adds New Game+, a new Ultra Hard difficulty, face paint options you can unlock, and more fixes.

https://blog.us.play...brary-hits-500/

PS4 games are now in the PS Now lineup with these games being added right now to push the overall total over 500 games:

• Killzone Shadow Fall
  • God of War 3 Remastered
  • Saints Row IV: Re-Elected
  • WWE 2K16
  • Tropico 5
  • F1 2015
  • Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition
  • Evolve
  • MX vs ATV Supercross Encore
  • Resogun
  • Helldivers
  • Broken Age
  • Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Guilty Gear Xrd Sign
  • Castlestorm Definitive Edition
  • Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
  • Arcania Complete Tale
  • Nidhogg
  • Super Mega Baseball
They're also going to have some deals with the $9.99 first month offer for new subscribers and $99.99 for 12 months that will be available until 9/22.
It just bugs me that PSNow is pretty much the sole reason/excuse that Sony chooses to not offer backwards compatibility. They made such a mistake buying Gaikai.

#243 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

I don't do PSN too much, so don't know the details.  I am trying to buy Uncharted Golden Abyss and WipEout 2048 for the Vita while they are currently on sale.  I used to have these games when I had PS+ and deleted them once I let that expire.  I added a 3 month PS+ subscription to my account to get an even bigger discount on a bunch of other purchases.  When I try to buy WipEout and Uncharted I am told you are not eligible to purchase this.  Is there no way for me to purchase these games so I can keep them after my PS+ runs out?

You have them due to being a PS+ subscriber, so they are still a part of your account when you resubscribe. If you want to purchase them, let your sub lapse and buy them.

#244 Lord Chabelo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1086 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Lord Chabelo

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

You have them due to being a PS+ subscriber, so they are still a part of your account when you resubscribe. If you want to purchase them, let your sub lapse and buy them.

But there's no "keep" option to be able to purchase them at the current sale price, plus PS+ discount right now?

#245 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

But there's no "keep" option to be able to purchase them at the current sale price, plus PS+ discount right now?

No, you "own" them as a part of PS+. Unless there's some bundle they're in that you could purchase to override the PS+ ownership, you're going to have to wait until your sub lapses.

#246 Lord Chabelo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1086 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Lord Chabelo

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

No, you "own" them as a part of PS+. Unless there's some bundle they're in that you could purchase to override the PS+ ownership, you're going to have to wait until your sub lapses.

Thanks for the info.  Lesson learned; buy former PS+ games on sale BEFORE using up a PS+ code to get a bigger discount.

#247 chriscolbert   Everything right is wrong again CAGiversary!   3275 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

chriscolbert

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Lesson learned; buy former PS+ games on sale BEFORE using up a PS+ code to get a bigger discount.

You can contact Sony and see what they can do. Some have reported success in getting them to remove licenses in situations exactly like this, but obviously no guarantees as different reps seemingly do different things.

#248 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

Some new Monster Hunter World gameplay:

#249 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

Some new deals:

:ps4: :vita: Neon Chrome - $4.49 - 70% Off - Ends 7/13

:ps4: PlayStation Now - 1-Month Subscription - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 9/22 - New subscribers only

:ps4: PlayStation Now - 12-Month Subscription - $99.99 - 44% Off - Ends 9/22

Some new freebies:

:ps4: 3on3 FreeStyle - PlayStation Plus Bonus Pack July - Free

New Releases:

:ps4: Toby: The Secret Mine - $14.99

I think that's it. Having so much on sale makes it hard to parse the list easily for what's new.

#250 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3531 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

It just bugs me that PSNow is pretty much the sole reason/excuse that Sony chooses to not offer backwards compatibility. They made such a mistake buying Gaikai.

Never thought about it like that but that makes perfect sense. I can understand from a long term standpoint that it's so much more technically efficient but because I actually like have the images in my games rendered at a good quality and with little latency I can't imagine how many years it's going to take before you can't tell the difference between local and streamed content.

#251 elessar123  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

I don't think that's the reason at all. It's really the PS3 Cell processor that's the main issue. They'd have an easier time making Xbox 360 games work on the PS4 than PS3 games.

#252 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4637 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

That's not why we don't have BC, though.  That doesn't even make sense.   We don't have PS3 BC because of Cell architectures.   I don't even think PSNow has PS1 or PS2 games.

PSNow is not an 'answer' for BC.  They've never sold it as that.  They've sold it as an answer for people who don't own those consoles and want to play those games, which is very different from BC.

I don't even understand how you arrived at PSNow as being their reason or excuse, let alone their only one.

The reason, generally speaking, is licensing.   Licensing is hell, and license owners don't like to give up 'forever' rights to something, which means Sony would likely need to relicense every game on PSN for usage on PS4.  Instead, they choose to issue new versions on a slower basis with trophies and upscaling, because their market research told them people liked the idea of getting trophies.

It's an ugly mess, sure, but don't put the blame on PSNow.   They aren't keeping games from you so you will subscribe to PSNow. 

#253 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

I don't think that's the reason at all. It's really the PS3 Cell processor that's the main issue. They'd have an easier time making Xbox 360 games work on the PS4 than PS3 games.

It 100% is. They could operate just like the 360 games on Xbone. Put the disc in to verify the license and have a digital download of the game. Gaikai/PS Now is definitely the reason we don't have any form of BC.

#254 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8390 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info. Lesson learned; buy former PS+ games on sale BEFORE using up a PS+ code to get a bigger discount.

Like Chris said, try Support (chat should be fine). Just say you want a revoke so you can give Sony money for them and I imagine they'd be more than happy to do so. It's not like it's a refund that involves giving you back money.

#255 elessar123  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

It 100% is. They could operate just like the 360 games on Xbone. Put the disc in to verify the license and have a digital download of the game. Gaikai/PS Now is definitely the reason we don't have any form of BC.

I don't think you understand how computer architecture works.

#256 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

And how is that digital download of a PS3 game going to run on your PS4?

I can understand being passionate about something but you have zero clue on what you are talking about.

#257 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

The PS3 is the reason there's no PS3 BC on PS4.

#258 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8390 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

What Frisky said.

PSNow isn't the reason there's no BC, but it is the "alternative" they're offering.

#259 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3414 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

If Sony wasn't a runaway market leader right now, you might see some sort of "backwards compatible solution" from them.  I'm not saying it would be what anyone thinks of as ideal, but the reason there is no BC on PS4 is because Sony doesn't feel the need to.  Why couldn't you put in your PS3 disc and play that title using PSNow?  Or why couldn't Sony match up your digital purchase history with the PSNow library and give you those titles as free unlimited rentals?  I'm not saying a lot of people want to do that, but that seems like something Sony could offer if they felt like they needed to complete.

#260 Brendan_Frye   All 5 Senses CAGiversary!   1300 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

Brendan_Frye

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

Sorry, but...

giphy.gif

#261 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8390 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

I guarantee you the current promo for PSNow is so they can compete with Xbox Game Pass.

Does the $10/month let you play whatever you want from the 500 titles?

#262 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

If Sony wasn't a runaway market leader right now, you might see some sort of "backwards compatible solution" from them.  I'm not saying it would be what anyone thinks of as ideal, but the reason there is no BC on PS4 is because Sony doesn't feel the need to.  Why couldn't you put in your PS3 disc and play that title using PSNow?  Or why couldn't Sony match up your digital purchase history with the PSNow library and give you those titles as free unlimited rentals?  I'm not saying a lot of people want to do that, but that seems like something Sony could offer if they felt like they needed to complete.

Because that would be a really bad use of the servers with nobody paying for them that would just hemorrhage money until it's shut down. They kick you off of the servers if you're paused for more than a few minutes in the sub/rental service, so where would the compensation be for the servers for these free, unlimited rentals for the rest of time? Why would you not want a completely different solution that is native to the PS4, similar to how Cross Buy works for PS3 and Vita games? Just saying "Do this obvious thing!" doesn't make it a reasonable solution that's easy to do.

#263 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

I guarantee you the current promo for PSNow is so they can compete with Xbox Game Pass.

Does the $10/month let you play whatever you want from the 500 titles?

A month after it launched?

Sure.

#264 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3531 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

I get the PS3 cell architecture is this big problem but it hasn't stopped a wide variety of PS3 ports from coming out, some with limited appeal, and many of which that could never have been justified with a substantial porting effort if there wasn't a solid business. I'd imagine in some cases they literally are going with PC builds that use the DirectX translation that the PS4 GPU supports and brute forcing the port but it doesn't change the underlying fact that many of these ports were probably greenlit with limited profit margins in mind. PSnow may not be the only reason that some of games haven't been ported but I bet it's certainly one of them.

#265 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8390 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

A month after it launched?

Sure.

Exactly. A month after it launched (giving them time to gauge how successful it was).

#266 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1514 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

It's getting testy in here.

#267 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

I get the PS3 cell architecture is this big problem but it hasn't stopped a wide variety of PS3 ports from coming out, some with limited appeal, and many of which that could never have been justified with a substantial porting effort if there wasn't a solid business. I'd imagine in some cases they literally are going with PC builds that use the DirectX translation that the PS4 GPU supports and brute forcing the port but it doesn't change the underlying fact that many of these ports were probably greenlit with limited profit margins in mind. PSnow may not be the only reason that some of games haven't been ported but I bet it's certainly one of them.

There's a difference between a port of one, two, or three games to other platforms and emulating an entire console architecture on a new console, especially one that is well-known for being hard to work with even amongst Sony studios.

I get that you guys think you have the easy solution, but just saying "Do this easy thing" doesn't make it easy to do.

#268 filldoh1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   172 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

we dont have backwards compatibilty on PS4 because of the cell processor yes but mostly because at this point it really wouldnt sell many more consoles to cover the cost. While people like myself and hardcore gamers would like the feature i doubt i would buy any new games for it and i already have a ps3 with a ton of games on it. So although i think the feature would be awesome in my case and any most others i assume it would be a revenue negitive for sony. 

#269 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

Exactly. A month after it launched (giving them time to gauge how successful it was).

How successful is it?

#270 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2534 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

If Sony thought BC was a profitable venture they would work on it. Obviously they don't.