* * * * - 13 votes

GameStop Weekly Deals Thread

#3001 Sunrisecityrider   Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down CAGiversary!   2400 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Sunrisecityrider

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

They mean they lurked CAG and copy pasted other people's finds.

The funny thing is I never handled any PvZ, NfS, or Spider-Man games this whole time. All thanks to you my man. 👍

#3002 Stickboy46   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1126 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Stickboy46

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

The long game - as in "wait until all the deals are over and then complain about it"?

The B2G1 was only going through today. The values always reset after a bump. If you waited this long, you're an idiot. Being a butthurt idiot doesn't make it any better.

Long term = more than this week

#3003 the_vahngo  

the_vahngo

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:05 PM

anyone have success today using the saved estimates page to get the bump in TIV?

#3004 paulwekiva   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   758 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Some of the mentalities in here remind me of what elephant poachers must rationalize with.

#3005 clash3701  

clash3701

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

The long game - as in "wait until all the deals are over and then complain about it"?

The B2G1 was only going through today. The values always reset after a bump. If you waited this long, you're an idiot. Being a butthurt idiot doesn't make it any better.

I can guarantee you kyle did it on first day 

#3006 MRW2276   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   644 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

I think the best play is to short the stock. Gamestop is the last company in the world i'd want to invest in.

What I was thinking too with puts, but they could window dress the numbers and make revenues look great after this weekend and most financial types will fall for it.Why both ends might be worth while. As we're talking $20 (.20x100 per contract) out of the money calls in case it jumps 10% on these pumped up numbers we are about to see.

#3007 TooLegitToQuit  

TooLegitToQuit

This isn't an article from ProPublica man. He's not breaking any new ground here. It's a small internet gaming site. I just don't like calling the man a loser for making a living doing his thing.

Oh I know, and I agree on the name-calling. I was simply pointing out that I thought that you saying that he "cited sources" would not be something attributed to actual journalism, and thus was a weak argument for supporting him. The fact that he is just doing his job is reason enough to not throw an insult at him as a person. That's all. No hostility meant toward you.

#3008 skrockij89  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

Doesn't that kind of show you unemployment in this country is way higher than being reported?

It helps that this deal was available during the holiday when people had a four day weekend. 

#3009 Nightcrawler13   Go Stros! CAGiversary!   577 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Nightcrawler13

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

I'm not sure who made this meme about returning games that tanked in value, but it's pretty funny

IMG_1560.PNG

#3010 thatcaveman  

thatcaveman

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

anyone have success today using the saved estimates page to get the bump in TIV?

Good luck. It's been posted up and down r/gamestop already where all the employees are so an informal memo pretty much went out already.

#3011 skrockij89  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

I'm not sure who made this meme about returning games that tanked in value, but it's pretty funny

attachicon.gifIMG_1560.PNG

I believe the great Ferrari Racer made that. 

#3012 Kyle1022  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

Where did I imply that it was?
Since we're at the point of the debate where people introduce straw men and/ or twist words, I'll let it go now.
All I'm saying is chill out a bit. It's not the end of the world.

If you're talking to me... you literally said "This is nothing new," I'm telling you that yes it IS something new. No strawman, no twisting of anything

Nope, as in not label myself to the employees and avoid a ban. I think I know what I'm doing, so you can kindly hop off :)

IMG_0367.PNG

#3013 MRW2276   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   644 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

Someone needs to make the gamestop access card meme. Meets all your needs and hides that extra income from the welfare office. No need to cash those checks at the no ID needed counter no mores.

#3014 freshgamer  

freshgamer

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

The type of people that hop all in at the end of this stuff are generally the type that will have no problem yelling at an employee over 5 bucks

lol

#3015 tearsintherain  

tearsintherain

What I was thinking too with puts, but they could window dress the numbers and make revenues look great after this weekend and most financial types will fall for it.Why both ends might be worth while. As we're talking $20 (.20x100 per contract) out of the money calls in case it jumps 10% on these pumped up numbers we are about to see.

whatever financials happened this weekend won't affect the last quarter numbers, which ended 6/30 for the april, may, june quarterly period which will be reported in august sometime.  The July 1-3 frenzy would be part of the july/aug/sept quarter, and stuff like Destiny 2 and SNES classic will just make this stuff small potatoes.  imo even shorting the stock isn't that smart, with amazon buying whole foods, gamestop is a pretty logical target for them to acquire 4500 small retail stores nationwide.  They could completely revamp the stores to push phones, small electronics, and pickup delivery for amazon products and redo entirely how the company works.  Gamestop (GME) is currently worth $2.1b on the stock market, amazon paying $3-5b in stock is super cheap for them, they paid $13.5b for whole foods.

in fact thats probably a good talking point whenever you have an awkward conversation with a clerk, most of them would probably be super excited to work for amazon instead of gamestop.  Of course, amazon would also probably fire about 50% of the gamestop staff.

in fact a conspiracy theorist may argue gamestop likes these weekend flip deals because it gives exposure to how valuable 4500 stores can be, if properly managed.  You know damn well that amazon would never let any huge promo stacking run for more than 45 minutes nowadays.

#3016 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

To GameStop's credit, they have a ton of GS credit sitting out there now, much of which will probably get dumped into new consoles or new games on day 1 releases through the holidays. Not to mention that we all have tons of GS points that we're going to dump into games on Cyber Monday or some time... They lost their shirts the last 2 days, but it may not be as big of a loss as you think in the long run, since much of the credit will be dumped back into the same stores.

#3017 the_vahngo  

the_vahngo

Good luck. It's been posted up and down r/gamestop already where all the employees are so an informal memo pretty much went out already.

even if you are just trading in 7 games?  not talking about a huge pile.

#3018 hatback   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   269 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

Some may disagree with me here,

But I think even in a hypothetical extreme scenario where CAG went into total lockdown mode where not a single person here mentions this weekend's deal, all it takes is:

-At least one person out of the 300+ million people in the U.S. figures out the deal independently, and posts it on one of many other internet sites.  Sometimes a few people figure it out independently and simultaneously post to different sites.

-Users on that site(s) recognize what a great deal it is, and thus give it visibility with upvotes, comments, and reposts to other sites.  Boom, viral.

-Newbies, who generally don't bother with trade-in deals because they're usually too timid to spend money at other stores or pre-order something for just a 30%-50% bonus (or don't want to deal with the hassle of electronics trade-ins), are willing to give this one a shot, because it's too good and too easy to pass up (much greater returns than usual with no required purchases to activate bonus).  However, these newbies aren't familiar with the trade-in nuances that are obvious to us vets, so they do stupid things like take in sealed games, take in multiple copies of titles, attempt to boomerang to the same store they buy from, gloat in store and online about what they're doing, heed bad advice or heed no advice at all, etc.

My point is, no matter what we do here, we cannot stop an inherently amazing deal from going viral and drawing in extra trade volume from "discreet" people as well as unwanted attention from newbies who do stupid things, which all together puts some of the store employees on edge.  Unfortunately, CAG is not the quarantine chamber of the internet.  We don't have that power.  And we can't control everyone's behavior, especially outside of CAG.  Can we acknowledge that, and proceed from there?

P.S. - Sorry about the rant.  I know I sound kind of hopeless and nihilistic.  But I honestly don't know what we can do to actually make the situation better, other than putting a lid on detailed flip lists here and giving guidance and advice, which we're already doing.

#3019 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

even if you are just trading in 7 games? not talking about a huge pile.

I'd say that gives you a chance somewhere between a snowballs chance in hell and when hell freezes over. You can try, though. All they can do today is trade ban you for asking...

#3020 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   1081 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

Going to cash out my points and redeem ASAP, in case I'm banned.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

#3021 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

I've never had success getting the saved estimates honored when there was a bump promo. The two times I tried in the past, the guy told me the saved value is with the promo bump, despite not even being close to the same amount. I don't even bother anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3022 thatcaveman  

thatcaveman

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

even if you are just trading in 7 games?  not talking about a huge pile.

Yup.

You can try and you might succeed, but you would have to get a really clueless employee to make it work. It's been posted on all social media already.

#3023 the_vahngo  

the_vahngo

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

You can try, though. All they can do today is trade ban you for asking...

UbJiwZJ.gif

#3024 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8667 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Wish stupid NOA would get some Switch's to GS x.x

#3025 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Wish stupid NOA would get some Switch's to GS x.x

Mine had bundles for order about an hour ago. Not thinkgeek ones either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3026 phoenixfre  

phoenixfre

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Oh I know, and I agree on the name-calling. I was simply pointing out that I thought that you saying that he "cited sources" would not be something attributed to actual journalism, and thus was a weak argument for supporting him. The fact that he is just doing his job is reason enough to not throw an insult at him as a person. That's all. No hostility meant toward you.

TooLegitToQuit, I keep thinking: You are that Xyz-whatever guy, right?

He mysteriously disappeared and you showed up soon after. And you are just as prevalent here as he was. Guess you had to make the new account in an attempt to disperse all that hate towards you.

#3027 Nightcrawler13   Go Stros! CAGiversary!   577 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Nightcrawler13

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

TooLegitToQuit, I keep thinking: You are that Xyz-whatever guy, right?

He mysteriously disappeared and you showed up soon after. And you are just as prevalent here as he was. Guess you had to make the new account in an attempt to disperse all that hate towards you.

LOL i thought the same thing..how funny! 

#3028 cancerman1120   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11006 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

cancerman1120

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

Back when Best Buy just started and they had stupid values and Gamestop was just realizing that they had competition and had to adjust values quicker, the deals were probably just as good. The only difference was that you had credit at both BB and GS when it was all said and done. It also didn't have to be done over a couple of days. It was done over weeks - and no one at either store paid much attention.

Better known as the Golden Age of Flipping. 

#3029 style_unseen   Keep your hopes up high. CAGiversary!   960 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

style_unseen

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

Did accessories receive a stealth bump? Forgot to trade in my Dualshock 4 controller with this madness going on. 

#3030 butth0lez   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   187 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

butth0lez

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hello and Happy 4th to all our guests reading today!
So who is ready for that Wii U sale? I know I am!!

Is there a reason to believe the Wii u sale was better than the b2g1 sale?