* * * * - 7 votes

Best Buy - trade in a working laptop and get a minimum $75 gift card

#31 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4125 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

Ummm.... wrong topic bro.

My baaaaaaahd

#32 DetroitSportsFan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   418 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

DetroitSportsFan

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

My old Gateway laptop from 2008 with Vista, a Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram, some dents and a scratch on the screen appears to qualify for the $75 GC. I rated it "poor", which appears to be the rating it gets if it just powers up.
I'm in the market for a new laptop (obviously), so I'll have to stop by soon and see if I can cash in on the POS I was just going to throw away soon anyway.

I traded mine in today.

The employee typed in the pc name/info, and said they couldn't accept it. Then I went through the process on my phone while he watched, which prompted him to do the same on his computer. He had to confirm with his manager, then gave me a $75 GC.

He didn't even attempt to power it up.

#33 lakerfanalways   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1580 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

lakerfanalways

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

Here is the issue with my laptop..I have a Toshiba A105-S4134 laptop it currently has Windows 10 on it(Not activated..for some reason the stupid wifi stopped working) the laptop does NOT work without it being plugged into the ac adapter the second you unplug it, it dies..so not sure what I should do.. This thing weighs about 6 pounds I want to get rid of it just not sure if Best Buy will take it back

#34 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21395 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:37 PM

I just did mine.  Got the $75 for an old ASUS EEE PC that wasn't worth anything so was happy.  Employee didn't even try to power it on.  Had several issues.  First they told me the model wasn't in the system so they couldn't do it.  Showed them the trade in prompts/value on my phone and then they almost processed it, but told me they couldn't do XP.  Told them I chose "Other windows" online and then they offered $31.50.  Told them about the promo, went to talk to someone, and came back and gave me my GC.  So it took a little work and it sounds like it can be YMMV, but worked out for me and I'm happy.  

#35 Clownzilla   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   163 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

Traded in one of those furniture store props of a laptop with a picture of a generic looking Windows type OS on the screen.

#36 U8MiRiCe  

U8MiRiCe

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

Just traded in 2007 Gateway laptop. It had Windows XP on it and that didn't proc the $75, so I went ahead and installed Windows 7 and that worked fine.

#37 SirConnery  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:38 AM

My 2009 core2duo MacBook doesn't qualify. Easier for you pc folks.

#38 PapaSlaughter  

PapaSlaughter

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:49 AM

Small print says limit 1 per person. I will try tomorrow. If it works I wish we could do more, might get my wife to do one too.

#39 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:51 AM

Small print says limit 1 per person. I will try tomorrow. If it works I wish we could do more, might get my wife to do one too.

You can do more than 1, just don't try and do them all at once and don't trade in more than 3 per ID.

#40 PapaSlaughter  

PapaSlaughter

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:55 AM

You can do more than 1, just don't try and do them all at once and don't trade in more than 3 per ID.

I have five laptops extremely old. They do power-on but I couldn't imagine anyone actually using them now so getting $75 for them would be great

#41 paulwekiva   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   758 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:01 AM

I have 3 old laptops, my wife and 2 adult kids are en route to try this on. I had back surgery so I'm recovering and had to stay. An extra $225 for some old junk would be nice

Hope you feel better quickly!

#42 Zimfier   Y-You too... CAGiversary!   135 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

I wonder: I have a Windows Tablet that I bought back during Black Friday for like $100.  I wonder if they would take that since it boots to Windows?

#43 pstash78   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   656 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:27 AM

I wonder: I have a Windows Tablet that I bought back during Black Friday for like $100.  I wonder if they would take that since it boots to Windows?

If you are able to locate the manufacturer and follow through the spec menus on the BB trade-in process it should work.  I did it with mine 2 months ago for something I bought in Black Friday 2015.

#44 kelo360   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1776 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Does anyone know if BB is enforcing the one laptop per person rule?

#45 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1193 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

I got $75 for my old MSI netbook with WinXP. I actually found a good deal in store that I used the GC on. 16gb of DDR4 memory on clearance for only $80.99. Online price is still $135, so may be specific to the store or instore price only.

#46 MonkeyBrainSync  

MonkeyBrainSync

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

So I am a little confused b/c I hear some say they would not accept the laptop b/c it didn't have Windows 7 or above installed. The 2 laptops I have are Windows Vista and XP. When I use the site and choose "Other Op System", it says the $75. Just wondering if there are guidelines for Operating System I am not seeing on BB site. Thanks!

#47 DetroitSportsFan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   418 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

DetroitSportsFan

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

So I am a little confused b/c I hear some say they would not accept the laptop b/c it didn't have Windows 7 or above installed. The 2 laptops I have are Windows Vista and XP. When I use the site and choose "Other Op System", it says the $75. Just wondering if there are guidelines for Operating System I am not seeing on BB site. Thanks!

It's a YMMV situation with whatever employee you have to deal with. I traded in a Vista laptop and got a $75 gift card.

#48 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1976 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

Might trade my old Asus with i3 towards a tablet

#49 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:24 PM

Well super helpful Best Buy employee cracked me up. He asked me what processor was in my chromebook and when I told him Celeron he goes "I7 it is!". Got me an extra $20 on top so that was pretty great.

#50 gldndomer  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Traded in a dell laptop that only runs off AC charger nowadays. Also zeroed the HDD and installed Linux Mint XFCE. I did this last year as well. You just need to find a lenient Best Buy.

#51 MobileVortex  

MobileVortex

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

Oh ok gotcha. Wish I could trade in the MS Surface I won in '13 at the Xbox One launch

Hmm I wonder if they would take it?  Maybe i will try tomorrow.  Just tell them its a surface pro OG.

#52 koruwa   Aw yiss CAGiversary!   499 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

It's a YMMV situation with whatever employee you have to deal with. I traded in a Vista laptop and got a $75 gift card.

I traded in an old asus netbook running XP along with 2 inspiron minis on Win7 and the guy that helped me didn't care about the OS or about the quantity. Was even missing a charger for one of the inspirons.

Walked out the door $225 richer

#53 pstash78   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   656 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

Well super helpful Best Buy employee cracked me up. He asked me what processor was in my chromebook and when I told him Celeron he goes "I7 it is!". Got me an extra $20 on top so that was pretty great.

What location was this?   :-

#54 pstash78   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   656 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:44 PM

This answers your question.  Don't try to push your luck on with the same model in the same transaction.

Does anyone know if BB is enforcing the one laptop per person rule?

I traded in an old asus netbook running XP along with 2 inspiron minis on Win7 and the guy that helped me didn't care about the OS or about the quantity. Was even missing a charger for one of the inspirons.

Walked out the door $225 richer

#55 Shanersedict  

Shanersedict

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:34 AM

Traded in a dell laptop that only runs off AC charger nowadays. Also zeroed the HDD and installed Linux Mint XFCE. I did this last year as well. You just need to find a lenient Best Buy.

Did they attempt to power it on? I have a laptop that only runs off the charger as well.

#56 gldndomer  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:20 AM

Did they attempt to power it on? I have a laptop that only runs off the charger as well.

They did power it on. I said I hadn't charged it recently, but it usually runs 20-30 minutes off fully charged battery. I think the Linux OS confused them enough to where they didn't care about the battery anymore.

#57 ghost1914  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:24 AM

Wish I had some old laptops to trade lol. If only I had local pawn shops that had cheap ones too.

#58 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1836 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:43 AM

Have an old Acer Aspire One that I'm going to dump.  Haven't used it in probably 7-8 years.

#59 alucardus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

alucardus

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:53 AM

Tried to trade in an old MSI Wind netbook and got turned down. Netbooks and laptops not listed on Best Buy does not qualify, or do I just go to a different store and try again?

#60 evilw0n   Deals & Games CAGiversary!   1836 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:07 AM

It is under "Other" system.  My Acer Aspire isn't on there yet it showed up as $75 TIV online.  You went to a crappy store or had a crappy worker.  If I get that crap, I'm showing what I did on my phone to get the TIV.