* * * * - 7 votes

Best Buy - trade in a working laptop and get a minimum $75 gift card

#61 alucardus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

alucardus

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:08 AM

It is under "Other" system. My Acer Aspire isn't on there yet it showed up as $75 TIV online. You went to a crappy store or had a crappy worker. If I get that crap, I'm showing what I did on my phone to get the TIV.

Okay that's what I thought. Thanks, and will try a different store.

#62 PapaSlaughter  

PapaSlaughter

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

Someone gave me a bunch of old laptops that I have no use for so Me and my wife traded in 4 old laptops (2 each) and got a Nintendo switch with the credit.

#63 SonyFanboy#1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   453 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

SonyFanboy#1

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:42 AM

What are you guys doing to clear out the data in your old PCs?

#64 megaprotobass   (> · 3 ·)> pEwPeW~ CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

megaprotobass

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:46 AM

Traded in an old HP-mini with a dead battery and Ubuntu installed. Had to get a manager, but the transaction went through.

#65 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   8722 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:05 AM

im just doing a factory reset.

#66 Nelo Ice   Same CAGiversary!   3881 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:13 AM

Already traded 1 laptop and about to unload an old netbook too. This seems like a pretty good deal since these laptops would have been worthless otherwise.

#67 Flightwhite24  

Flightwhite24

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

Traded in a 11 year old Dell. Netted me $85. The thing doesn't even turn on. It was as if they didn't even care. Sweet deal if you ask me.

#68 dweezy121  

dweezy121

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

Traded in my old asus netbook with windows 10 yesterday here in PA....I literally was in and out the door in under 10 minutes.....best buy employee turned on the netbook I already had it booted up and charged just in sleep mode....walked out with a 75 dollar gift card! Will hopefully be able to trade in 1 or 2 more before the promo is over!

#69 enigma   DJ Enigma CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Best Buy Customer Service employee here. Posted this on the other thread. Gonna post it here too.
  • IMPORTANT: The official terms posted state that the promotion is limited to one (1) trade per customer. This will be the biggest YMMV of the entire ordeal. CoreBlue WILL allow multiple trade-ins per transaction and it WILL automatically apply the $75.00 promotion to any and all eligible items. Whether the employee you get allows more than one depends entirely on a combination of their knowledge of the terms and how much they happen to give a shit at that particular moment. I've done multiple for customers as long as they were pleasant about it and not acting entitled and my lead up here traded in three for me last night.
  • The laptop MUST be able to be traded in to begin with. Meaning if you check the trade-in page and put in the required info, it must give you SOME sort of dollar amounts even if it's only $1.00.
  • The laptop MUST turn on. Whether or not this is actually checked is YMMV, but if they do check and it doesn't power on, it will not be accepted.
  • If it will only power on via power cable (i.e. the better is dead), I'd suggest bringing your own power cable with you. Geek Squad may have one available to test it with, but I wouldn't leave it to chance.
  • Speaking of power cables, it doesn't matter if you trade that in as well. Even if it's not selected as included, the base value will still jump to $75.00.
  • As far as the condition goes, once again, it actually shouldn't matter. As long as it powers on and has a base value of at least SOMETHING when you select "poor," it will still bump it to $75.00.

Hope this helps someone!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#70 Mugen Power   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1059 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Mugen Power

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

^^ Does it have to boot into the OS when it turns on? Mine is in really good shape for its age (no cracks or major scratches, battery, screen, keyboard works, etc.) but for whatever reason, won't boot into the OS and I can't reinstall it. HD is fine as I tried it in an external dock. What's the official word? Turning on and booting into the OS are different...

#71 enigma   DJ Enigma CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

^^ Does it have to boot into the OS when it turns on? Mine is in really good shape for its age (no cracks or major scratches, battery, screen, keyboard works, etc.) but for whatever reason, won't boot into the OS and I can't reinstall it. HD is fine as I tried it in an external dock. What's the official word? Turning on and booting into the OS are different...

It doesn't HAVE to, but if they test it and it turns on, but doesn't boot into an OS, they may mark that option as Other OS or No OS, which could potentially remove its trade-in eligibility entirely.

Why can't you reinstall it? Make a Windows 10 drive and toss it on there. It doesn't need activated.

#72 buddha_mjs   Banned Banned   285 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

buddha_mjs

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

My girlfriend and I turned in a couple 2002 IBM thinkpads I managed to get windows 7 on. No problems or questions asked. Just an easy $150

#73 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10800 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

When does the promo end?

#74 buddha_mjs   Banned Banned   285 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

buddha_mjs

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

When does the promo end?

15th

#75 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

The $150 ipad promo ends the 15th as well if anyone is waiting on one of those from Gamestop currently.

#76 buddha_mjs   Banned Banned   285 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

buddha_mjs

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

The $150 ipad promo ends the 15th as well if anyone is waiting on one of those from Gamestop currently.

what $150 ipad promo?

#77 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

http://www.bestbuy.c...cat748301769501

I think the minimum is the ipad 2 mini because those are what I traded in. I think they are all sold out at Gamestop now though.

#78 buddha_mjs   Banned Banned   285 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

buddha_mjs

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

http://www.bestbuy.c...cat748301769501

I think the mini is the ipad 2 mini because those are what I traded in. I think they are all sold out at Gamestop now though.

ah 'UP TO' $150. They offer $50 for my old ipad 2

#79 enigma   DJ Enigma CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Here's the official wording and models for the iPad promo:

Get a minimum $150 Best Buy gift card with trade in of any working Apple iPad Mini 2 (retina), Mini 3, Mini 4, Air, Air 2, or iPad Pro.

#80 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

Here's the official wording and models for the iPad promo:

Get a minimum $150 Best Buy gift card with trade in of any working Apple iPad Mini 2 (retina), Mini 3, Mini 4, Air, Air 2, or iPad Pro.

Thanks for filling that in for me dude. 

#81 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

If it will only power on via power cable (i.e. the better is dead), I'd suggest bringing your own power cable with you. Geek Squad may have one available to test it with, but I wouldn't leave it to chance.

I was about to ask about that.  My computer works perfectly fine but the battery is completely dead and wasn't sure if they would take it in with no battery.

#82 enigma   DJ Enigma CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:05 PM

I was about to ask about that. My computer works perfectly fine but the battery is completely dead and wasn't sure if they would take it in with no battery.

It technically never asks if there is a battery, so you shouldn't need it. It may downgrade the condition, but that won't matter for this promotion.

#83 DRKnight   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   407 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

has anyone tried trading in two at one time?

#84 enigma   DJ Enigma CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

has anyone tried trading in two at one time?

I traded in three at once. Again though, this is the biggest YMMV about the entire thing. See my first bullet point in that post I made with the specifics.

#85 solidFire501   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   110 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

solidFire501

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

I deleted my files, and then used cipher (available in Windows 7 and later) to securely delete.

A quick Google search will get you pointed in the right direction. Basically, it can be used to write over unused disk areas with random data to securely delete it. When you 'delete' a file, it's really still there on the hard drive. The OS just sets a flag that more or less tells it that space is now free. However, the actual data is still there, and could be recovered with the right tools. Cipher basically writes over the unused space 3 times: once with all 0s, once with all 1s, and then once with random values.

For my older Vista laptop, I wiped the hard drive with DBAN and then re-installed windows. I would have preferred to use DBAN/reinstall on both machines, but I no longer had my windows 7 installation disc, so used the cipher approach on that one.

#86 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1973 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

I deleted my files, and then used cipher (available in Windows 7 and later) to securely delete.

A quick Google search will get you pointed in the right direction. Basically, it can be used to write over unused disk areas with random data to securely delete it. When you 'delete' a file, it's really still there on the hard drive. The OS just sets a flag that more or less tells it that space is now free. However, the actual data is still there, and could be recovered with the right tools. Cipher basically writes over the unused space 3 times: once with all 0s, once with all 1s, and then once with random values.

For my older Vista laptop, I wiped the hard drive with DBAN and then re-installed windows. I would have preferred to use DBAN/reinstall on both machines, but I no longer had my windows 7 installation disc, so used the cipher approach on that one.

Great info!

#87 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   8722 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

just got back. smooth transaction. just said was there to trade in a laptop and the lady at customer service looked up everything. didnt even have to tell her anything. I actually got $85.50 for it so that was cool. Only paid $300 for it back in 2012 so Im happy.

#88 jmizzal  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

Woah i'm at work so i'm not 100% sure about my laptops specs so I went to the lowest possible and it still qualified lol, def gotta do this.

My laptop has a sticker on it, do you think I need to remove it?

#89 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1132 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

I have a Vista computer without a windows installation disc. What's my best option? I looked up Cipher and it looks like it's Win 7 and up

#90 lakerfanalways   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1580 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

lakerfanalways

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

I have a question, my Toshiba laptop came originally with Windows XP, I obviously dont have to disc anymore so I formatted the drive to Windows 10(Used the Windows 10 installation via USB) is that OK..I called my local best buy and they said they could care less what OS it comes with as long as the laptop powers on they take it