- - - - -

Any reliable place to buy a used GPU for a decent price?

#1 Muintir   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

Looking to upgrade my gpu as its starting to really show its age

#2 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10599 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

I would stay away from used AMD graphics cards right now.  They're used in Bitcoin mining (and its variants) and the cards really get wrung out running at full capacity for months on end.  Then they get dumped on the used card market.  I've nothing against AMD cards in general but if you must buy a used card, stick with Nvidia (their architecture makes them less suitable for mining).

Don't know of a reputable used outlet though.

#3 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1621 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

While that was true in the past for bitcoin not so much for ethereum, which is what people are mining now with gpu's until some ASIC's get pushed out that make it unprofitable again. Ethereum can be done on either card very well, which is why all GPU prices spiked, not just one vendor.  So buying either used at this point would be a big gamble

#4 TacticalDev91  

TacticalDev91

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:25 AM

What's your budget? There are certain models of cards that are more used for mining. However mining is a pretty niche thing. Depending on your price range you might not even have to worry about it. Ebay is a pretty safe bet in general as they almost always side with the buyer if a issue were to arise.

#5 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4407 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

You can also check out reddit.com/r/hardwareswap. I bought some RAM from someone there and it was pretty painless.

#6 ZerotypeX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3876 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

Would you mind listing your current card, budget, and what you currently play or plan on playing in the future?

You might be able to get away with 1060. It is at a decent price and most if not all games currently will run on it.