Suggestions for a Surge Protector

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildirtygamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm looking for a surge protector for electronic items I have set up in my room. A power surge happened this morning and my PS4 was downloading a game while in sleep mode and had a hiccup. Thankfully my PS4 didn't end up being fried, though it did give me cause for concern.

I'm now looking for a surge protector to use for these items:

22" HDTV

Kinivo 3-port HDMI Switch w/ power adapter

PS2

Original Xbox

PS3

Xbox 360

PS4

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

dollar store has large ones for $5 with a reset button & power on/off switch. I'd ignore the cheaper ones with no buttons.
if you live near a "5 below" they also have em for $5.
if you also worry about water spills there are ones with built in GFIs that cost more.

dollar store has large ones for $5 with a reset button & power on/off switch. I'd ignore the cheaper ones with no buttons.
if you live near a "5 below" they also have em for $5.
if you also worry about water spills there are ones with built in GFIs that cost more.
By dollar store do you mean Family Dollar or Dollar General? Just want to make sure I've got right. Don't have any "5 below" stores where I live. Nice to know I can protect my electronics without breaking the bank, thanks for the help.

It's funny that you mention this surge protector. I think I had looked this or one similar to it not too long ago. I could definitely use this as my current power strip is almost full with everything I have plugged in.

You should probably unplug things when you're not using them just to be very safe. Power surges happen in many different ways around the country, like some people have to ground their HDMI connection. It's better to be safe than sorry.

You should probably unplug things when you're not using them just to be very safe. Power surges happen in many different ways around the country, like some people have to ground their HDMI connection. It's better to be safe than sorry.
I'll definitely take this common sense advice to heart just to be on the safe side. I would still like to pick up a newer surge protector for added safety. Stupid as it is I don't like plugging and unplugging electronics out of a strange fear that it could possibly shorten their lifespan. While I have no proof that it could shorten their lifespan I still try to be cautious on this end of the spectrum as well.

In any event all it takes is one freak accident or power surge/outage to cause electronics and other items to suddenly fail. So please forgive my carrying on and unwarranted fears.

The Tripp Lite TLP1008TEL is a really good surge protector. One nice feature (or may be annoying) is that it only supplies power to the outlets if it can still protect against surges. Since the MOVs in surge protectors wear out over time, it's nice to know that if your device is getting power it is also protected by the surge protector.

The Tripp Lite TLP1008TEL is a really good surge protector. One nice feature (or may be annoying) is that it only supplies power to the outlets if it can still protect against surges. Since the MOVs in surge protectors wear out over time, it's nice to know that if your device is getting power it is also protected by the surge protector.
Looks like a good option and the feature you mentioned wouldn't be annoying at all. Nice to know that it will only supply power if can the items can still be protected.

Looks like a good option and the feature you mentioned wouldn't be annoying at all. Nice to know that it will only supply power if can the items can still be protected.
If a surge existed, then it was incoming to a dishwasher, clocks, furnace, dimmer switches, refrigerator, GFCIs, central air, all LED and CFL bulbs, etc. How many are now damaged? If you had a surge, then all and everything else needs a surge protector - if brainwashing from advertising was believed.

By using wild speculation to make a conclusion, then plenty of urban myths were posted as if recommendations. If anything needs a surge protector, then everything needs a surge protector. Why did no one mention that? Most posts are from the many only educated by advertising - not by science.

Apparently a short power outage occurred. Power outages only damage unsaved data - as you saw. Meanwhile honest answers always include numbers.

Numbers: a 120 volt surge protector does nothing until AC voltage well exceeds its let-through voltage. That is 330 volts. Did you have a 330 volt surge? Of course not - as indicated by so many undamaged appliances. You had 120 volts dropped to or near zero. Again, honest answers are always tempered by numbers.

Well, some companies have obscene profit margins because so many (as demonstrated here) only recommend what advertising has brainwashed them into believing. So again, let's discuss numbers they forgot to learn.

A potentially destructive surge can be hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that Tripplite claim to 'absorb'? Read its specifications. Thousand? How does a thousand joules 'absorb' a surge that is hundreds of thousands of joules? It doesn't.

A surge too tiny to damage appliances can also destroy a near zero joule Tripplite. Then the naive (who ignore numbers) use wild speculation. "My protector sacrificed itself to save my appliance." More classic junk science reasoning that gets too many to recommend a near zero protector with an obscenely high profit margin.

Surge protection for everything even from direct lightning strikes costs about $1 per protected appliance. But that is irrelevant here. You did not have a surge. You probably had a blackout. Blackouts do not damage appliances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back