* * - - - 7 votes

Donate Blood Get $15 Certificate

#61 dlonzo  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

My blood is too precious to me, that's why I keep all of it in me.

You should leave at home today. You never know what a GameStop junkie might do, they are the most dangerous.

#62 Trance Addix   AMG and M CAGiversary!   1432 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Trance Addix

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

I've been donating regularly for over 10 years now, but it just seems so weird to get paid for blood. That said, my blood doesn't qualify lol. 

YZtI2yo.jpg

#63 vicious7171   Don't you dare call on me, old man! CAGiversary!   377 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

vicious7171

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

This really shouldn't be here.  No offense to OP, but it isn't anything close to a game deal.  It's just a way to make $15.  Are we going to start posting job openings next?

Spoiler

#64 DeGarmo2   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

DeGarmo2

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

I'm a regular blood donor and I do it for free... I'm appalled by the CAG jokes, it's not very funny. I know you guys have too much time on your hand, but a little civility to encourage a much needed donation is appreciated.

For those of you never have donated blood before. There's a rigorous questionnaire before you start and they'll prick your finger to get a small sample to analyze your blood is good or not. It's definitely not one of those things where you walk in and donate on the spot, if you're not healthy, you can't help even you really want to. There's a shortage (almost always) because good O+ and especially O- are rare... When an ER patient comes in and needs blood, there's no time to figure out the blood type, hence O- is used.

I have given blood once and, even tho I'd love to donate plenty of my super useful O- blood, I doubt I will unless the procedure changes. It was one of the most unpleasant medical procedures I've ever been thru. It was pretty painful and left my arm throbbing for 3-4 days. I know my experience is rare, but maybe it's because my body doesn't seem to take to anesthesia very well? Maybe if I got super numbed up or if they used a standard needle (like the one you get at a physical), I'd give blood again.

#65 pstash78   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   599 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Anyone confirm that offer is email invite only?

There are 4 types of people in this website:  Cheap Ass Gamers, New Ass Gamers, Late Ass Gamers, & Frugal Ass Gamers.  CAGs are known to be on top of the deals to be had.  NAGs are the lazy newbies looking for deals without putting simple effort into a quick search just a finger click(s) away for the earlier posts within the same forum. LAGs are known to be late to the discussion of known deals.  FAGs are under the radar freeloading lurkers begging for the opportunity of freebie codes.

#66 swirly76   360 backlog > XBone 4eva CAGiversary!   78 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

swirly76

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

Yeah... no. I've stooped to the level of donating plasma, but I will never let one of these amateurs that work at these places near me again after an idiot missed my vein. And this was after having to prick both my fingers for a blood sample. So yeah, unless you are a masochist or some crap, avoid these places.

"...unless you are a *pussy* or some crap, avoid these places."   FIXED

#67 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1950 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

I have this lying around, I'll donate it all to Goodwill and ask them about the certificate

benchwarmers.jpg

I'll take one box of Blood, please.

#68 PaladinHonor  

PaladinHonor

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

This really shouldn't be here.  No offense to OP, but it isn't anything close to a game deal.  It's just a way to make $15.  Are we going to start posting job openings next?

No offense taken! :D That is literally the first thing I posted on the topic. My purpose was to spread the word for a good cause. If we can help those in need and get $15 to spend on games for us, why not?

It seems this topic has deviated course and is offending some people (which was never my intention).

For those of you who are still wondering if you need to be on the mailing list, my best advice is to go there and ask. You'll be helping people, either way AND at the very least, you'll get a free juice and cookie. Win-Win.

If any mod could close this topic, I would greatly appreciate it!

#69 derrtaysouth95   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1316 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

derrtaysouth95

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

I'm anemic so unable to donate blood for others. I would otherwise. Only time I've donated blood was 1x week for a month in leadup to a major surgery. Ended up getting all 4 units back (I bleed a fair bit it seems). I felt like shit those last 2 weeks but I'm glad I did it. I knew my blood was clean. When you're in an emergency situation you don't have that choice.

A little incentive to encourage donations seems a smart move.

Blood has to come from humans. We haven't figured out how to synthesize blood to put into humans yet.

This is a good cause. Please consider donating whether you get a benefit out of it other than just doing a good thing to help humanity.

#70 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3251 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

I'm anemic so unable to donate blood for others. I would otherwise. Only time I've donated blood was 1x week for a month in leadup to a major surgery. Ended up getting all 4 units back (I bleed a fair bit it seems). I felt like shit those last 2 weeks but I'm glad I did it. I knew my blood was clean. When you're in an emergency situation you don't have that choice.

A little incentive to encourage donations seems a smart move.

Blood has to come from humans. We haven't figured out how to synthesize blood to put into humans yet.

This is a good cause. Please consider donating whether you get a benefit out of it other than just doing a good thing to help humanity.

agreed.  I try to get out to donate quarterly.  Normally do it through Stanford and they do a good job but there was a back to back sequence where it didn't go well so I held off for about 6 months then started up again.  Normally they'll give you a coupon for hand packed pint at Baskin Robbins and occasionally, they'll also give out movie tickets and other stuff after donating.  And funny thing is for the CAG (or anyone else),  they have a reward point system where the more you give, the more points you get.  They have shirts, duffel bags, 10 packs of BR pints, car emergency kits, etc.  Worth looking into if you're a regular donor and are in the SF bay area.

#71 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2089 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

I'm A Positive so I guess my blood is....worthless? I know it's one of the most common ones. Regardless, I donate to a local blood bank here in my area every few months, and during some promotions they give out a free movie ticket, which is a pretty nice reward for doing something we all should do anyway. 

joshTX.png

#72 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   493 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

Don't feel bad if you can't donate blood. They sell it to pay their ceos huge salaries and throw a large portion of it away or use it for research. It's not exactly a noble thing they do.

#73 reaperztoll  

reaperztoll

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

Don't feel bad if you can't donate blood. They sell it to pay their ceos huge salaries and throw a large portion of it away or use it for research. It's not exactly a noble thing they do.

So how I ensure my blood is used at a hospital for people who need it?

Too much real life, not enough time for video games

#74 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2089 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

Lol. All blood banks that I'm aware of are 501C registered non-profit organizations with the IRS. They can't sell blood for profit. If it is being used for research (doubtful) it's not for any commercial means, though I suppose they could be donating to college universities for clinical studies. All money they receive to pay their employees and CEO salaries are through government grants and donations.

You might be skeptical of the American Red Cross in particular, because of their unique relationship with the federal government and some of the controversies that have come up with them in the past, but they aren't reflective of all the smaller municipal or county blood banks that are operating all over America. Despite that, they too are a non-profit. And while it probably isn't a particularly "boastful" accomplishment to donate blood, it's still a noble and helpful thing to do. If everyone had the same attitude you just exhibited, we would all be in alot more trouble. 

joshTX.png

#75 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   493 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Blood is a 2 billion dollar business. The listing as an NPO doesn't mean they don't sell the blood- they call it a "reimbursement fee" usually- this gets passed on to the person who receives your blood.

If you're truly interested in giving your blood do some research and ask what / where it will go or only donate directly when you're asked if you have sought after blood. You ARE able to do auto- donations and directed donations.

http://m.redcrossblo...us-and-directed

Human blood can be stored for forty two days- then it's either sold to reasearch groups or destroyed. Estimated 1/20 collected units are thrown out.

Giving blood is a good thing to do but don't be fooled by these groups that you "donate" to. They do alright and this is one of the reasons the creation of a blood alternative is not as aggressively sought as it should be.

#76 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   19874 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

giphy.gif

gjDkeqL.gifv3llIct.gif

Spoiler

#77 justadude  

justadude

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:26 PM

Blood is a 2 billion dollar business. The listing as an NPO doesn't mean they don't sell the blood- they call it a "reimbursement fee" usually- this gets passed on to the person who receives your blood.

If you're truly interested in giving your blood do some research and ask what / where it will go or only donate directly when you're asked if you have sought after blood. You ARE able to do auto- donations and directed donations.

http://m.redcrossblo...us-and-directed

Human blood can be stored for forty two days- then it's either sold to reasearch groups or destroyed. Estimated 1/20 collected units are thrown out.

Giving blood is a good thing to do but don't be fooled by these groups that you "donate" to. They do alright and this is one of the reasons the creation of a blood alternative is not as aggressively sought as it should be.

Oh and of course the American Red Cross is such an honest and transparent company. Like that time they took 565 million bucks in from donors to help 9/11 victims and were only going to send 165 of it to donors and keep the rest for "future needs" until they were forced to donate it all to 9/11 victims in court https://mobile.nytim...11-victims.html

#78 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   493 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

The blood business is almost as shitty as the humane society / shelter business. Those folks are using tax exemption to get fat.

I don't want to downplay the need for blood products but folks need to empower themselves and realize that stuff is so valuable.

#79 reaperztoll  

reaperztoll

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

Look at Yarnham if you want to see all the problems that blood causes. Real mess.

Too much real life, not enough time for video games

#80 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   493 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:27 PM

Those dudes are deranged.

#81 PaladinHonor  

PaladinHonor

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:53 PM

Look at Yarnham if you want to see all the problems that blood causes. Real mess.

I see what you did there...

#82 timesplitt   Master of your Disaster CAGiversary!   916 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

timesplitt

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:51 AM

I'm O negative.. isnt that better or just as usable 

Posted Image